South Guard 2. Proven by the Sword

Feedback for the mainline campaign The South Guard.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dwachs

Re: South Guard 2. Proven by the Sword

Post by Dwachs »

Eleazar wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(1) 1.2.8 - medium
(2) 6 - it was tough, but I won :)
(3) clear
(4) interesting - the sudden appearance of the undeath is a good idea.
(5) to reach Westin before the enemies can flood it with troops
(6) 6
(7) The destroying of the village was a little bit disturbing: Do I have to protect them to win the scenario? Ofcourse not, but that could be mentioned?
Anym

Post by Anym »

(1) Civilian (Beginner), 1.4, English [US]

(2) 3: Slightly more difficult than the first, but still gentle.

(3) Very clear.

(4) Very clear and starting to get interesting.

(5) Being overly cautious with regards to crossing the river.

(6) 6: Fun, but still feels like a prologue.

(7) The map image displayed before the scenario isn't pretty, like I remarked in comments about the first scenario. Usually I wouldn't mention it again, but I just noticed that the title of the scenario was overimposed on the map in an unfortunate shade of green that blended with the colour of the map, making it hard to read. I assume the first scenario also had its title presented like this, but the choice of colour made me overlook it. Having a different colour there would be nice. Other than that, the scenario was fine.
I look just like Bobbin Threadbare.
lsummer28

Post by lsummer28 »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Recruit, 1.4.2

Quite clear. Kiill the bandits, kiill the bandits...

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Quite clear and reasonably interesting. "You killed my brother, you dirty rat..."

I can't honestly remember any. The map made me a little queasy, but there were no big challenges to my forces. Someone pointed out that Hylas annihiliates undead on contact, otherwise that would be a bit tricky.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I think the enemy could have been stiffened a little, maybe given one or two thug upgrades that need to be taken down by archers.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Soldier (Normal) 1.5.6

3. Not too hard really, the undead made for an interesting challenge given the lack of impact damage, but the white mage comes in handy.

Crystal.

Well-written, interesting, and moves the story forward very well.

None. The turn limit could be tightened for getting to the town? To make it feel a bit more of a rush.

7. The map is well done, I like the use of the water to provide variety and ways to trap the undead. The mix of enemies is a fun twist as well.

None, good enough as it is, possibly tighten the initial turn limit to get to the keep.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
rujikin

Post by rujikin »

(1) Normal 1/7/1
(2) 10
(3) clear
(4) Very fun and very unexpected battle. Nearly had lines crushed.
(5) The bat, strong skeletons, and ungodly lucky AI at missing.
(6) 10
(7) Make a fake army of skeletons appear from their original camp and make it look like your going to die, army dissapears with southern enemy commander dead.
DrPepper8

Post by DrPepper8 »

1. Normal, 1.6.4
2. 6
3. clear
4. I liked it - it was interesting and there was quite a lot going on.
5. Nothing major. Hardest bit was trying to defend the town overnight during the first wave of undead.
6. 8. There was scope for trying different things, and I liked the 2 part nature of the objectives (capture the town, then take out the enemy leader) as it made me think more about tactics than I've sometimes had to.
7. As others have said, knocking a turn or two off the time limit to capture the keep might make it a bit more tense.
fob-nation

Post by fob-nation »

Eleazar wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1. Soldier ('Normal'), 1.8.2

2. A little harder than the previous scenario, requiring a little more thinking now that you pick up a new unit. 5/10.

3. Clear.

4. Quite interesting. I was thinking 'Whaaaaaa.....?' when the enemy commander started getting undead units, and was curious to see how the story would progress from there.

5. Nothing in particular was especially challenging.

6. Most of your current units suck against the undead, so it was cool to get a new unit (the White Mage) that can blast right through them. Some of the fun comes from figuring out when to attack with this unit, and when you should simply shield it from attack.

7. As already mentioned by others, reduce the turns limit for the first objective.
b1tchnow

Post by b1tchnow »

1) Difficulty: Normal
Version: iPhone 1.5
2) 10 (Pure Frustration !!!)
3) It's clear what to do, but I have no idea how!
4) Don't know, there hardly is some. I lose to early.
5) I can not take the citadel. I am attacked in round 1 and at least need 5 turns to reach the bridge, and then the city is full of elusive enemies, who kill me.
6) 0
7) Tell me how to kill these elusives without having to use 4 men and two turns.
Faello

Post by Faello »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Soldier - top difficulty level, 1.9.7, no saves/reloads, 182 starting gold

Bandits starts with initiative and Westin in their hands in this scenario, but they're too scattered and inferior in numbers to the South Guard forces to become a real problem. After capturing Westin, their commander, Urza Nalmath <lvl2, outlaw> will receive about 50gp for recruits and will use it on undead units, but player will be reinforced by the Minister Hylas <lvl2, loyal, intelligent, white mage> so it's a minor problem.

[HINT]It's good to move commander Deoran to the Westin castle hex after the city are will be cleansed from outlaws presence, since moving Deoran to the castle hex will trigger some minor peasant support coming out of the villages - they're frail BUT all loyal, so they're very precious as a source of powerful upkeep-free high level units in the later scenarios :eng:

Finished in turn 16/28.

3 losses, 20 kills

Crystal clear.

It was good, I like the level of the plot and dialogs in this campaign.

Manage xp-disposition well. Aside from that, no major challenges.

Again, interesting scenario with a nice map, a good training for city assaults in the multiplayer or in the more difficult campaigns.

No changes required, it's great as it is.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

No.

Replay attached:
Attachments
TSG-Proven_by_the_Sword_replay.gz
Proven by the Sword replay, Soldier difficulty level, 1.9.7, no saves/reloads
(26.12 KiB) Downloaded 808 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

1.9.6, top difficulty, 187gp, no reloads

4, restarted a couple of times b/c was bogged in combat and was not able to reach the Westin on time. Leveling up loyal units and avoiding their death is by far the biggest challenge. Also, enjoyed last fight with bandits' leader, scored 42xp out of him (distributed) :)

finished in turn 21/28, 3 losses, 26 kills

enjoyed everything

great as is
Attachments
(25.9 KiB) Downloaded 732 times
PorkSol

Post by PorkSol »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on? 1.9.8, hardest available, no reloads
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 5. Probably 3 to simply win, but I struggled to clear it efficiently while protecting the loyal peasants and letting them get EXP.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Interesting, we find out what happened to Sir Loris, but a new mystery is uncovered.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? My main challenge was that I kept under recruiting. Recruiting third castle full of fodder helped a lot. Also, reacting to the change in the situation when you capture the citadel. That can definitely lead to problems if you capture it while the battle is still ongoing.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 8. Lots of nice extras to keep it from becoming just another generic scenario.
Attachments
1.9.8, hardest available, no reloads
(23.91 KiB) Downloaded 735 times
Kinak

Post by Kinak »

1.9.6 the middle one (soldier?)

4. Made it through with minimal losses, although those did include one of the loyal mermen.

The bandit leader came out of his fort to attack me, though, which might have made that easier. Also, I knew how to deal with skeletons in advance.

Very clear.

It definitely worked.

I overextended myself a bit south of the city after taking it. That resulted in some unecessary losses.

6. Nothing spectacular, but advances the plot nicely.

It talks about smoke coming from the city in the beginning, but none of the villages there start burnt out. It seems like having a few villages (either the ones in the city or just outside) be burnt out would give that a little more punch.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Version 1.9.9, Normal difficulty.

Okay.

Great. I actually like the vibe I get from small-scale campaigns like this.

Keeping as many loyals alive as I could.

7. The battle flows very nicely, and there's never any moments when you don't have units fighting!

Got nothing.

(8) How well done did you find the map for the scenario?
Very well designed.
Attachments
(23.14 KiB) Downloaded 749 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
Kaiserdrache

Post by Kaiserdrache »

Game Version: 1.8.5, Difficulty: Easy

A clear 9. As a beginner i ran into trouble more times than I can actually count.

Pretty clear and straightforward. Capture Westin and finish everything else off :D

Pretty clear, but not really interesting.

Definitely the undead. I had massive trouble to keep them at bay during the night.

A clear 10. In the beginning it's quite massive, but nevertheless it gets better and better.

Something debatable. As a p&p roleplayer it seems quite odd that an bandite can summon the undead. Would have been better if these skeletons would have simply showed up somewhere else on the map and not directly next to Urza.
Gerion

Post by Gerion »

1.8.6, highest difficulty

I would say a 5. It has its difficulties, but is not overly hard. I managed to free Westin in round 6 and won in round 13

Very clear. Free Westin, Kill Enemy

Very clear and quite interesting. Bandits being able to summon undead is a surprising twist and a kickstart to the whole campaign (the first scenario was just a "something's fishy here" start).

First: Keeping all loyal units alive (i didn't manage to keep ALL of them, unfortunately)
Second: Keeping the Undead at bay during the night, it is hard enough with the mostly piercing damage dealing units even with the terrain at their favour. Without the white mage it would be nearly impossible i think

7. Quite fun, but i expected to have a harder time freeing Westin

There is one thing...
First, in the beginning there is a rogue sitting in a fortification at the bridge to Westin (22,12). After the initial attack he left the fort to attack a wounded unit and got slaughtered because of that. If he never had left the fort reaching the city would have been more challenging because it would have been harder to kill him. Maybe scripting that he never leaves the fort?