Scenario 7: Showdown

Feedback for the mainline campaign An Orcish Incursion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 7: Showdown

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Scenario Review: AOI 7 - Showdown

Post by Turuk »

High Lord (Challenging) 1.5.6

3. Not that hard, all of the units I have are level 3, the rangers can be held in reserve to sneak in and jump the orc leader, and cause serious damage, even if they die.

Crystal.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Good dialogue, first scenario again where the Advisor's part actually works.

None.

8. Despite it's ease, I think it was a good culmination to the scenario (Could use a slightly larger map?), and the reinforcements are a nice touch.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None really, good as is.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Went back over the dialogue for the campaign. The parts where the Advisor fails to speak is because it has the [role] tag, but the writer did not bother to put Advisor in quotations. The parts in the campaign where the Advisor's part currently works are where it reads:

Code: Select all

role="Advisor"
I do not know if this has been fixed, but it is an easy one to do.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Derekkk

Post by Derekkk »

Medium 1.5.6

Very clear

Rather predictable and so failed to retain much of my attention. I only skimmed through it.

None

This scenario is too easy. I have accumulated a few level-3s from previous scenarios and I managed to kill the enemy leader in turn 5 with the High Lord and a sharpshooter when he foolishly left his keep.

None

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
The wml is very well-maintained. What's harder to maintain is the balance in-game in the face of the changing AI and the changing unit specs.
HalfThere

Post by HalfThere »

Easy 1.6.2

Since i was playing on easy, it was clearly not going to be too hard, but I'd also like to say that i found it dramatically easier than previous missions... Maybe just because I wasn't afraid to lose units.

Very.

Clear, but a little anti-climactic. Maybe some insight into Rualsha's deepest hopes and dreams?

None. Rualsha just ran right out from his fort and surrendered himself to me, basically.

6 - kicking ass is kind of fun.

None in particular, but for better AI that doesn't rush out from its protection. I'll try a harder difficulty setting next time.

Nope.
axelotl

Post by axelotl »

High Lord 1.6.2

3. With 214 gold and plenty of leveled units, it would have been easy enough without the loyal rangers.

Clear

I still don't know Rualsha's motives for starting this whole war.

None.

Higher levels should get fewer free Rangers?

No.

The player-controlled Elves have an [ai] section. Surely this is redundant code?

The Elvish recruit list is defined twice (once conditionally, once unconditionally).

The variable "difficulty" is defined but not (so far as I can see) actually used.

As in some previous scenarios, the final dialogue is broken if the scenario is such a bloodbath that Erlornas is the only surviving Elf.
Don't axe a little. Axe a lottle.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

First of all, why don't the rider and the rangers have names? Shouldn't they?

High Lord, Ver. 1.7

1. The tactic is given away at the beginning.

Clear. Defeat the big, bad, bad guy. :twisted:

I still want to know hat the boss wanted form the elves. The Ruby of Fire??? (As said in TRoW)

None.

2. Every difficulty is the same on this level. Maybe when you attack the boss, he calls for guards?? I don't know.

As above. Calls for guards. Maybe less rangers, so you have to level your own rangers to set the surprise attack.

Nope.

Looks fine.

In general, this is a fine campaign, with a good storyline and dialogue and effective gameplay. The levels could be balanced a little more with each other, and in the harder versions, take out the notes for the last two scenarios. Otherwise, I really, really, really like this campaign. :D
ArneBab

Post by ArneBab »

Hi,

I just played the while campaign yesterday and I liked it a lot!

So I thought "would be nice to give feedback" :)
(how about an option to send feedback from within the game after every scenario? That would be the easiest way to give something back.)

Medium

Perfectly clear: Kill the leader :)

I missed an introduction on the Map. Otherwise I liked it.

Not losing any units :)

The only ones I didn't try to protect at all costs (and reloads) where the unnamed 2nd level archers. These should have names and personalities, I think.

7 - the tip to get them from behind it great! I could get rid of the darn troll that way.

A bit of story on the map and names for the 2nd level archers ("Waldhüter" in german).

Three times I lost a unit which was dear to me... ;)

I sadly don't know WML (and my time is too short to get into it right now).

What I missed at the end was a way to keep my units and move on to other campaigns. Or to at least have my units live on somehow (like they do in starcraft - though there all units are pregenerated).

Seeing an orcish campaign as followup in which my 2nd and 3rd level units fight against me (or maybe even just steer the action from behind the scenes, so they don't get squatted all in one battle) could be a real treat!

Maybe one of my strong units (2nd and higher) in every battle, with the two strongest ones as "commentary" and "boss fight" in the showdown.

Maybe with slightly different text for different unit types (fighters more aggressive, healers a bit softer - except for those who choose a path of thorns :) ).

Though I don't know if I could bear to really kill off my own units... it would be another (more complex) level of challenge - maybe even keeping the one enemy unit alive and only killing the leader to keep that one elf alive whom I learned to love when I commanded him/her myself :)
Being unpolitical
means being political
without realizing it.
- Arne Babenhauserheide ( http://draketo.de )(my avatar is from Trudy Wenzel and licensed under the GPL)
cph

Post by cph »

(1) High Lord (Challenging), 1.8.0
(2) 2
(3) Clear
(4) Okay, but a bit of an anti-climax. After the promising hints of darkness in dialogue levels 2 and 3 I was expecting a bit more of a reveal at the end. At least I expected to find that the orc cheftain was particularly savage with his subordinates, and I was half expecting to find some wizardry at work. Instead I seem to have caught out a not-very-smart chieftain by turning up while his army is away.

(5) None.
(6) 5
(7)

Colourful ranting by the orc chieftain about how his subordinates have failed him, how he intends to mount every warrior's head on a spike if they don't bring him the body of this elf imposter before nightfall, etc etc.

The level was too easy to require strategy at the moment. I played along with the idea and sent my rangers stealthily around to ambush the leader, but my main force had steamrollered over the enemy army and arrived only a turn later than the ambush team. The AI's army can afford to be more substantial, given that the player's army can at worst park in woods and have a massive defensive advantage while sitting out the storm.

His army arriving back during the battle would be an alternative approach; that could force the player to strike faster and not lurk in the woods. (But I didn't lurk in the woods, and if the reinforcements arrived after turn 7 I wouldn't have seen them because it was all over, so I think the AI still needs to be somewhat stronger - or the player's bonus L2 units at the start cut back.)

(8) No

Overall comments on the campaign:
  • I like it: the level layouts in particular are good and the terrain makes for battles that I liked. Valley of Trolls is very good.
  • The plot had promise in the first few levels, but the last two are not a great ending. Apart from my suggestions above to "close" the story better in the final level, I wonder of the undead can be brought into the story a bit more: perhaps Linaera knows that orcs are patrolling the whole area... except for this haunted valley... fight the undead and you'll get to Rualsha's keep without him having warning to muster his army. Just an idea.
  • Valley of Trolls is a good tough little challenge for early in a campaign, whereas the rest are good little battles but not requiring more than good terrain use. I think VoT needs to be easier, not by cutting the enemy strength but just by making the strategy easier and more apparent to newer players. I expect that few people who survive VoT are going to need the hints on Showdown, for example.
ayrnieu

Re: Scenario 7: Showdown

Post by ayrnieu »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1. Medium (1.9.1)

2. 1. Super easy. His terrain advantage counts for nothing when he leaps over it to fight me. I killed him at turn 5.

5. There weren't any challenges. It's the last scenario in the campaign - so every unit becomes expendable and I can recruit without regard to upkeep. The central feature of the map just doesn't matter. Even if Raulsha wouldn't run out himself, his troops still will - so I could kill them with my built-up army and take my time moving around. If even they wouldn't run out, then all the map does is waste some turns while I move around to the north. (And after the "the orcs are murdering the trees!" talk earlier, Raulsha's own domain is a great forest.)

I really enjoyed the scenario overall; this scenario just doesn't seem as loved as the others.
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

1.9.5, Challenging, Irish translation
2 or thereabouts. It's the last scenario, I have 2 shydes, a druid or two, a loyal mage, two (or was it three?) enchantresses, one of which almost was a sylph. And what;s this? Free rangers and a rider? Nice 8)
Clear as orc blood in a forest river.
It was nice.
My carelessness lost me the rider and two of the rangers, but I didn't save-load for them. Oh yeah, and the "just shamans" thing, but I think that made it easier.
None I can think of.
Nope. It was tempting after losing half my rangers, but I didn't go for it.
Know it, but didn't look.

This campaign was really great for the shamans-only challenge. Nice and easy, a couple tricky spots, but very fun. Map design was superb, the story was nicely done as well.
See? Only shamans:
Attachments
RO-Taispeáint-Uathshábháil13.gz
Replay didn't save for some reason, but it's not much to finish off Rualsha at this point.
(33.12 KiB) Downloaded 1057 times
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Faello

Post by Faello »

Challenging (High Lord) - hardest difficulty level, 1.9.6, no saves/reloads, 208 starting gold

Rualsha (Sovereign) has a potent force of 300gp troops of various level, but player using recall, together with allied ranger pack that comes under his control in this battle, has actually even more powerful army and can easily defeat orcish army in a pitched battle instead of assasinating Rualsha. I've finished this scenario in turn 8/24.

3 losses, 10 kills in this one.

Crystal clear.

Pretty good.

Not to lose my veteran units (Unararand, my favoured elvish hero, lost his life in the fight with lvl2 troll)

It's much better than most of this campaign scenarios, map is nice and idea of assasinating enemy leader suits the beginner's campaign purpose of teaching well - I really enjoyed it ^_^

Give Rualsha some reinforcements after a several turns and warn player about them. There's plenty of forest around to play "cath&run!" with orcs anyway, It would definitely make this scenario more interesting.

No.

TOTAL Campaign Losses/Kills: 17 losses, 92 kills
CAMPAIGN SUMMARY: It's a 7/10 campaign, it serves it's "beginners training" purpose well, but for a more advanced players on it's top difficulty level, it might be slightly boring. Some scenarios are a bit too simple, some of them could be designed better. It's also quite short. Still An Orcish Incursion offers an nice opportunity to fight orcs on favourable for player terrain and is quite relaxing :)

Replay attached:
Attachments
AOI-Showdown_replay.gz
Showdown replay, Challenging (High Lord) difficulty level, 1.9.6, no saves/reloads
(27.58 KiB) Downloaded 920 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

1) Normal
(2) 0. Ridiculosly easy and anticlimatic.. no stratergy beyond "rush enemy and win in 5 turns" was required.
(3) Crystal
(4) Clear and alright, but a bit anticlimatic. I lol'd at "I may be dead but my orcs will fight on" "but then the orcs ****ed off home instead*. I can't tell if that was good or bad funny
(5) Their was no challenge in this scenario......
(6) 1 Not that satsfying, ridiculously anticlimatic and lame epilogue.
(7) More orcs, more veterans, better ai
(8) Hell no

Despite the fact I thought this was a weak Scenario, overall it was a fun campaign with simple levels and a simple story. Maybe too simple.. but imo a magnifacant newbie campaign, and made me want to dive into more, while teaching me plenty about how to play Wesnoth.
Giraffemonster

Post by Giraffemonster »

This was played on Lord (Normal) on 1.9.7. No saves/reloads.

I would rate the difficulty at 4/10 by my standards (I'm pretty inexperienced). I started the scenario with around 215 gold, a bit less than your opponent on Normal, but then again, you are given four L2 Rangers and one L2 Rider. Furthermore, I had an Enchantress and a Shyde, as well around 5-6 other L2's available for recalling.

Part of what makes this mission easier, is the fact that there are many forests where the "main" battle takes place. It helps your troops last longer so that your rangers can ambush the enemy leader.

Crystal clear, defeat Rualsha.

The dialogue is interesting, I liked the part at they end where a supporter unit states that the elves will have to become more accustomed to fighting if this keeps up. I don't know why, I just really liked that line.

Bad streaks of luck resulted in losses of units/large amounts of HP. I used five of my six Rangers to ambush Rualsha, and the turn when they jumped him, they missed the majority of their attacks, but still got hit a couple of times.. That sort of got me nervous.

8/10 would be a good peg. I liked the fact that in this scenario, as well as in other final scenarios, I can freely use my high level units and not feel bad about them dying. I also liked being able to use Rangers to ambush Rualsha.

There isn't really much that I could add to this scenario. It's quite "polished" as it is.

None

I took a look at the .cfg file for this scenario, and found that the recruit list for Erlonas has ifdef conditions, even though they're all the same. Is there really a point to that? Hard difficulty just puts the Elvish Scout before all the other units, not sure why that's there. Maybe a comment line could be added before spawning the Rangers and the Rider, even though it's quite self explanatory.

Overall, this campaign was pretty fun for me. It's also a great beginner campaign. This was the first campaign I have completed with no save-loading whatsoever, as well as the second campaign I have completed on a difficulty which isn't the easiest.
PorkSol

Post by PorkSol »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Hard, 1.9.8, no save load
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 1. Deployed 3 additional rangers, ran north, baited leader, assassinated leader with rangers.
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? No complaints.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Making sure the leader didn't manage to run away.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 5. It's a neat idea and it makes sense for a novice campaign, but it's a bit anti-climactic to not even need to use my elite units that I'd been saving for the final showdown.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? Not all that much you can do, without losing the uniqueness of the scenario.
Nope.
Attachments
AOI-Showdown_replay.gz
Hard, 1.9.8, no save load
(24.9 KiB) Downloaded 903 times
CeltiK

Post by CeltiK »

1.10.0; Hard no saves/reloads.

2. Poor Rualsha didn't have a chance.

Very clear.

The epilogue is a bit... brutal. You kill Rualsha and it's over, nothing more.

None.

7. A typical boss fight.

Actually it's too easy with all the reinforcements you get at the beginning of the scenario. I mean, 4 rangers and a rider is a LOT. Maybe just bring the rider alone who could say something like: "The reinforcements are on the way and will be there soon, shall we wait for them?" And Erlornas could answer: "No, Rualsha could see this as an opportunity to fall back, we must strike now before he escapes."

None.

Nothing special here.

Campaign Review:
An Orcish Incursion is a real novice campaign and it's also very relaxing. It's easy and you get the opportunity to learn how to play the elves and the importance of having the advantage of terrain, which is essential for beginners. All the maps are 1v1 and are very small but also very well designed, so you don't have the feeling that you're just fighting in a small empty arena. The campaign is short so the story is very simple and there's only one character, the second one coming only for 2 scenarios. One drawback that I can think of is that there is no variety in the objectives, they are all the same: defeat the enemy leader. But it's quite ok for a novice campaign.

Story and characters: 2/5; short campaign with only one character. Erlornas seems to be interesting though, he should come back for new adventures!

Interest and fun: 4/5; a very good campaign for first time players, could be a tutorial.

Map design: 4/5; only small 1v1 maps, but well made.

Overall difficulty: 5/5; it's aimed at beginners and for them, the campaign is well balanced.