Scenario 6: A Detour through the Swamp

Feedback for the mainline campaign An Orcish Incursion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 6: A Detour through the Swamp

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Scenario Review: AOI 6 - A Detour through the Swamp

Post by Turuk »

High Lord (Challenging) 1.5.6

5. Despite having high level units, the undead posed a nice challenge. The ghosts plus the damage potential of the revenants was nice. Also, it rendered my rangers/marksmen less effective due to their resistance to pierce damage.

Crystal.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Not as much as the others, but well-written again.

None.

7. Swamp map is nicely drawn, and the bridges make for nice bottlenecks to force the undead to attack from the water or swamp.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Nope.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Looks good as is.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
axelotl

Post by axelotl »

High Lord (1.6.2)

Clear

This scenario is just an excuse to use mages, I think. The undead don't seem to fit into the main storyline at all.

None

I don't know.

No. I fought the lich at night (to finish on turn 11) and took a lot of damage to Linaera. Fortunately, my White Mage and Shyde were able to finish the job.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

The WML auto-recalls one of Linaera's apprentice mages from the previous scenario. Unfortunately, this code won't work if all the surviving apprentices have been promoted to Silver Mages. (I guess Silver Mage is omitted because Linaera is a Silver Mage and we don't want to recall her twice; instead, the recall should explicitly exclude Linaera.)

Similarly, no apprentice Silver Mage will ever volunteer to accompany the Elves in their pursuit of the Orcs.
Don't axe a little. Axe a lottle.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

High Lord, Ver. 1.7

3. With shamans slowing and acting as cannon fodder, the undead did not pose much threat to the power of my sorceress and Linaera.

Clear.

Not much storyline. Perhaps the lich should be involved more?

None.

5. A good way to introduce undead.

More ghosts and co. Elves are -10% vulnerable to arcane, and the ghost's potential 5-3 drain attack at night is really annoying plus the ghost's high mobility and high defensive abilities. Why not a wraith or two?

Nope.

Looks fine.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Only easiest, Ver. 1.4

3. Very easy, maybe 2, probably mostly because I did the easiest difficulty, but also because on like the third turn the lich came out to play all alone, and Linaera teleported in and helped blast it into oblivion in record speed. I think I won in 3 or 4 turns.

Painfully obvious.

Seemed like this scenario didn't really have much to do with the rest of the campaign. It seemed just thrown in to include Undead, so I don't think the storyline was very interesting.

Absolutely none :D .

8 or 9, just because it felt really great to completely annihilate that lich in 4 turns. Other than that, it was just ok.

I think it was fine. Just a nice little 1on1. I personally like 2 sided fights better than those huge, epic battles where it's like four enemy leaders against you and an ally.

No.

Was ok.
cph

Post by cph »

(1) High Lord (Challenging), 1.8.0
(2) 4
(3) Clear
(4) It's clear, albeit a bit of a diversion from original orcish incursion.
(5) Not losing units to the first wave of enemies. Revenants hit hard, and while there's more than one left in action, no unit in the front line is really safe. I could have used a second elven avenger to soak up damage in the first two rounds of the attack, but had only one available.

It took a few tries to get the tactics in the main fight right. Once you get the the tactics right and kill the revenants, it goes smoothly.

(6) 5 - it's interesting to face a new enemy.
(7) An end run around the undead forces would be an interesting alternative strategy; a bridge leading south off of the start island would make it more tempting, but perhaps no change is needed (I didn't try it). The level would probably be more interesting if I wasn't toting quite so many L2 and L3 mages and sorcerers going in, so I'm reluctant to suggest increasing the difficulty (which would be another way to make strategy more relevant) unless that's how players at High usually come in.

(8) My first few attempts, I got the main fight all wrong; lost Linaera on one attempt, Erlornas on another.
Mountain_King
Translator

Re: Scenario 6: A Detour through the Swamp

Post by Mountain_King »

1.9.5, Challenging
Thanks to my own restrictions, this was only a 4.
Clear as a fishbowl in April.
Not bad. :D
The just shamans thing actually made this incredibly easy. Skeletons are weak to impact and arcane. As I had mostly leveled sorceresses, it was a piece of cake. I almost lost a shyde to three ghosts, but managed to save her just in time.
I'm giving this one a 10.
None I can think of.
Nope.
Know it, but didn't look.

Replay attached
Attachments
RO-A_Detour_through_the_S..._athfhéachaint.gz
(17.96 KiB) Downloaded 1087 times
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Faello

Post by Faello »

Challenging (High Lord) - hardest difficulty level, 1.9.6, no saves/reloads, 178 starting gold

Keremal (Lich) has 250gp that he spents on lvl1 and lvl2 undead units (mostly bowmen, revenants and ghosts), but his force is easy to deal with if player will manage to start the battle on favourable ground. Multiple slow attacks by shammies do most of the hard work here. Both Linaera and Erlornas arcane damage does miracles in this scenario. Once Erlornas is a High Lord, he can actually take down the Lich in 1on1 combat.

1 loss, 15 kills.

Crystal clear.

It wasn't interesting. Tbh, I've no idea why I was forced to fight undead.

No major challanges.

It's interesting from tactical point of view, but aside from that, it's a bit boring and map isn't really that interesting either.

I'd re-make the map and add more varied terrain types.

No.

Replay attached:
Attachments
AOI-A_Detour_through_the_S..._replay.gz
A Detour through the Swamp replay, Challenging (High Lord) difficulty level, 1.9.6, no saves/reloads
(24.83 KiB) Downloaded 949 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

1) Normal
(2) 6.. maybe I just have a problem fighting undead. I was a bit inexperinced and seem to always have the worst time against them.
(3) Pretty clear
(4) Not too bad, except this whole chase the undead seemed left field. Maybe some hint they were going to invade soon after or that a Necromancer was forming an alliance with orcs or that people had been attacked recently?
(5) The fun of undead resistances, and the ais sucide ganking tactics (which was at least a good place to show the player this, wether you inteded it or not)
(6) 6 kind of dragged, but I had to use my brains and again, it serves its tutorial purpose well
(7) More of a warning or something? I dunno
(8) Carelessness, ai sucide attacking and ganking my lord, n00bishness
CeltiK

Post by CeltiK »

1.10.0; Hard no saves/reloads.

4. Just need to be careful at night.

Very clear.

Hum, the scenario is good but why am I here? Just to clean the world of undead? You could add a dialogue between Erlornas and Linaera saying that the lich has to be defeated, else Erlornas' army would be surrounded by undead while chasing Rualsha. It's just an idea.

I had 1 high lord, 1 silver mage, 2 shydes and 3 mages, enough to deal with those "dead'uns" (find the reference here...).

6. Nothing special.

The map looks a bit "empty", maybe add a few more different terrain tiles. Actually it's not bad, but the other maps of the campaign are very well designed so this one pales in comparison.

None.

Everything's fine here.
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Challenging 1.10.7

Clear.

There was barely any dialog and the scenario was pure filler to boot. By far the weakest part of the campaign, story and dialog wise.

The enemy recruit mostly level 1 undead with a few level 2's. I had level 3 elvish champions to absorb damage, as well as a number of different types of mages, an elvish shyde, and an elvish enchantress on my side. Even the low starting gold I had from ending the previous scenario in so much debt couldn't give the enemy any chance of victory.

2. Its a pointless scenario that has no relevance to the campaign as a whole, nor any challenge to be interesting.

The undead need to be far stronger then they currently are. Alternatively remove this scenario all together. The scenario is noticeably out of place with the rest of the campaign and isn't really memorable in the slightest. I guess its supposed to add a little variety, but the undead are too weak as things currently stand for that variety to be worth much.

No.
kiss

Post by kiss »

Swamp, swamp and swamp everywhere! Let's have a mud's fight.

Turn 1, 2: Ok, skeletons. I would like to go straight to south, but villages may be too far and I'm not sure I can afford splitting my army.
Not sure it is a good idea to recall bowmen, but If they can help.

Turn 3, 4: I wonder if I can take the central village? Let's try it!

Turn 5, 6: Big loss?

Turn 7, ..., 10: Over.

Fighter(beginner)1.10.7

Clear.

Short is nice from time to time!
But what is that orc team with an undead leader? I don't get it ... Pfuiii, what an end! Help me and bye bye!
For sure I was happy with the help in previous scenario, I was so weak, but ... this is not fair.

I'm not expecting them to let my scoot take the villages so easily. As a consequence, I have more units to fight against.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 7
The terrain is annoying, it is not easy to move, but geography is an interesting part of the game isn't it?

Without any magic on my side it could be interesting, but from the begining I used some shamans in that campaign. Was it only to explain: use magic against undead?

None.

I don't know.
Attachments
(17.91 KiB) Downloaded 800 times
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Lord (Normal) 216 Gold

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario?

Clear

Good on both points

Avoiding carelessness

None

Yes, Reloaded twice, as careless positioning cost me my leader and loyal mage
Attachments
1.12.5 Normal
(33.28 KiB) Downloaded 759 times
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Just funny playing only shamans to shydes strategy at hardest difficulty.

Well, the scenario even do not care to bring some undergroud under that meeting with lich.
Really, we fought with orcs a lot, with trolls a bit, would be good to fight undead a bit before fighting with orcs again.
Attachments
(26.1 KiB) Downloaded 773 times
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Remellion

Post by Remellion »

1. Played on High Lord (Challenging), 1.12.1 English / 1.12.5 French shamans-only.

2. Difficulty is a 4/10. With enough mage/faerie fire firepower, the undead will drop. Using the terrain advantageously (flat 40% holding a line against swamp/shallow water 20%) also helps if you pick the location for the battle.

3. Objective is as usual clear.

4. Dialogue is OK. The introduction to the scenario is much more abrupt than the preceding ones, and appears to be some arcanely-phrased hint to screen mages with beefier elves. The ending is also somewhat sudden, and it seems unusual that elves would accept human company, although maybe Erlonas means just until this little orc-hunting party is finished.

5. Challenges would be the awkward terrain, and the unusual undead resistances. This scenario gets easier the more mages/sorceresses you have, to blow up the undead faster. The swamp and flat means that both sides will take fairly heavy damage in the initial encounter, while the unwieldy terrain and bountiful villages mean Linaera is going to have a field day village-grabbing then teleporting around to wreak havoc.

Generic run: Initial scouting runs by Linaera and a quick scout to grab villages, then recalling/recruiting a bunch of mages and meatshields. The defensive line is set up at the initial keep, causing the undead to waste dusk/first watch before actually reaching us. The day is then reserved for undead slaying; once we have the numerical advantage ToD goes out the window and the rest of the scenario is mop-up.

Shamans-only: "Gleeful anticipation" describes the mood here. I admit I didn't see many problems with this scenario because having a whole squad of levelling enchantresses simply demolishes the undead. Being neutral, they rain faerie fire equally hard at night as during the day. A far more aggressive strategy of holding the chokepoint southeast off the central island saw the undead struggle to mount a real attack (held back by swamp/shallow water movement costs) even at night. 2 more sylphs resulted.

6. Fun is around 7/10 for the generic run, and another automatic 10 for shamans-only. Sylphs are amazing.

7. Suggestions would be maybe to beef up the dialogue a little, maybe have Erlonas comment about the swamp at the start (since he certainly sensed the magic the last scenario), express relief that it appears to just be a random lich and not an orcish plot, etc.
Attachments
Generic run, 1.12.1 hardest
(36.35 KiB) Downloaded 805 times
UIO-Un_détour_par_les_maré..._revoir_la_partie.gz
Shamans-only, 1.12.5 hardest
(26.29 KiB) Downloaded 765 times