Scenario 6: A Detour through the Swamp

Feedback for the mainline campaign An Orcish Incursion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

nikita1996

Re: Scenario 6: A Detour through the Swamp

Post by nikita1996 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.12.6 Hard

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
1. I don't know why the enemies is not as strong as my units if I recall those high-level mages. You know that the enemy troops are operated by the AI, which is much weaker than a usual human player! So, I can defeat them easily even at night.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
The story is plain but clear.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
No challenge at all! Maybe the only challenge is how to finish this scenario without losing any unit. ^.^

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
1. Too simple, too easy and no innovation in this scenario. I think the difficulty should be increased. Also, you can have some undead units or bats only appear at night and disappear at dawn, which can increase the difficulty of attacking at night. Otherwise, any human player can attack the enemy at night easily.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Increase the difficulty and make more different high level enemy units.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No,
Attachments
AOI-A_Detour_through_the_S..._replay.bz2
(20.69 KiB) Downloaded 653 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.14.0 Hard

1. Mages vs weak undead...

Very clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear. But plain.

None.

4. Letting your mages loose and watch them play with fire is fun.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Add a small swarm of bats in the first night. Good enough to enoy and possibly a bad surprise when you are positioned badly.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Attachments
AOI-A Detour through the Swamp replay.gz
(22.07 KiB) Downloaded 604 times
Hestelvar

Post by Hestelvar »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Fighter (Easy)
3. Easy (4 or 5. When only using the shaman line without the assistance of Linaera and company.)
Crystal Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialogue and storyline of the scenario?
Very little story, functional rather than interesting. A let down after the last scenario.
Revenants.
5. Average (6. With my self-imposed restrictions). An instructive introduction to fighting undead on unfavourable terrain. Handicaped by inadequate narrative justification.
(7) What, if any, are the changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Let me get this clear. Erlornas is on a vitally important mission to discover the source of the orcs threatening his homeland, yet at the first hint of undead he drops everything to help Linaera fry them? This warrants a good explanation.
Perhaps Linaera could say there is only one way to reach Raulsha’s camp unobserved by orcs (the swamp) but there is a small difficulty (Keremal).
Give "Keremal The Silent" something to say! What is his motivation here? Does he intend an alliance with the orcs or not? Or have Erlornas or Linaera remark on his reticence to add atmosphere.
A more varied map. Perhaps a channel of deep water running through the swamp to let the skeletons exploit their submerge ability.
Marched boldly onto the central island with a small force and got cut to pieces by Revenants during the first night.
Remarks:
This scenario adds some variety yet feels like an afterthought, as though it is has been included solely as an opportunity to level mages. It needs more dialogue, more love, more justification for existence.
Attachments
AOI-A Detour through the Swamp Shaman Only replay.bz2
(17.79 KiB) Downloaded 583 times
AOI-A Detour through the Swamp replay.bz2
(18.54 KiB) Downloaded 568 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- Easy, 1.14.5

- Simple, get rid of lich

- I wish there was more or dialogue in this one

- None really. If it weren't for my leveled mages (leveled last one to White mage) and sorceresses, I'd have hard time with Erlornas and Linaera only.

- For this one - more dialogue. Also, I'd go with adding some extra in the previous scenario such as this: Linaera and Erlornas managed to beat the Orcish warlord and Erlornas explains what's he after. Linaera could consider either coming with him for the last stand against Rualsha (if her apprentices were killed) or let her apprentices go with Erlornas. Then, Linaera could be like that there's been evil festering in the swamp and that Keremal (lich) made an alliance with orcs in order to allow Rualsha the full invasion while undead are at stakes with elves and mages. I know I could say this for the previous scenario, but still, would make the undead the main enemy in this one more effective to plot

- Nope
mxb2001

Post by mxb2001 »

[quote="Content Feedback" post_id=286113 time=1205252875 user_id=123454]
Normal no cheatng

clear

Rumble in the jungle

none

Bigger map

Got my leader killed on first try, simple on second try.

[/quote]
01/01/01
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

1.14.7 on High Lord/Challenging.
5. There really isn't any good terrain to fight on, but there's plenty of opportunities to make the undead have to move into 20% terrain in order to attack you. The biggest threat is the Revenants that are recruited at the start, but once you've dealt with them - I saw two - there's nothing particularly threatening until the Lich itself.
Crystal.
I think the scenario title sums it up, it's a random detour from the main plot that doesn't really add much, either to the campaign, or to the wider world of Wesnoth.
Surviving the first wave of undead without having any forest or even hill tiles to stand on.
6. The undead do make a break from the orcs - albeit, undead are omnipresent in Wesnoth, so I wouldn't exactly call it a breath of fresh air. The lack of good terrain does mean that there isn't a clear area in which you're meant to fight, and you can advance through the map however you like.
I can't think of anything.
No.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.