Scenario 5: Linaera the Quick

Feedback for the mainline campaign An Orcish Incursion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 5: Linaera the Quick

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Jozrael

Re: Scenario Review: AOI 5 - Linaera the Quick

Post by Jozrael »

Hard
Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear, but lacking after the beginning.
Having only 100 gold ;_;
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Throughout the whole campaign I think there's a minor need for more gold <.<. At least, up until this point. I was able (with a handy stroke of luck) to gather a LOT of money from this scenario alone.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Well tbh, I beat it through restarting many a time. I wasn't willing to play it as it should have I guess, so I just had my core army and I wasn't willing to accept a loss <.<. But! After a try or 4 I was able to play it through correctly. =).
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

High Lord (Challenging) 1.5.6

3. The orcs hit hard, but I have so many level 2's and 3's at this point that I can pretty much wipe the floor with them.

Crystal.

Good, up to par as the rest of the campaign, but the lack of the Advisor parts make it confusing.

None.

4. Neat little map, a bit bland, not too much of a challenge really. Again only took 6/24 turns.

More enemies possibly, or a more dynamic map.

None.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
The Advisor is still not saying his bit in this scenario either, and there were some inconsistencies in the code. Speaker, id and role all being used for Erlornas? Speaker and id work fine, but the message with role was left out.

Code: Select all

[message]
            speaker="Erlornas"
            message=_"Hold. It is only one human, or a few of them at most. Time enough to speak of driving it out when we have no enemies in common."
        [/message]
        [message]
            role=Erlornas
            message=_ "Tell me: I see no bridge over the chasm around that keep. Is there any sign that one has been withdrawn by the defenders?"
        [/message]
        [message]
            role=Advisor
            message=_ "No, lord. No traces of any construction. It looks like no bridge has ever existed there. There must be other, hidden means of access to the tower."
        [/message]
        [message]
            id=Erlornas
            message=_ "Interesting...Go to my personal stores and bring me a bottle of wine. And a couple of glasses."
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Daedal

Post by Daedal »

Medium (V 1.6a)
Clear
If the tower in the middle of the map is under siege, how did the mages get out of it to join me in the SE corner of the map? Otherwise nothing in the dialog stood out as being very interesting. See point 7 below.
Orcs swarm the map easily and it's tricky to position my units so they're all in defensive positions. This scenario might have been easier if I'd been playing on a harder difficulty level and had more level 2's and 3's at the moment.
8. Adding the mages is a nice touch and the map is a good puzzler.
The whole campaign has a very linear plot. Find orc leader, kill. IMO it's getting old by now, but if the point of the campaign is a quick, straightforward romp with the elves then it's all good. The maps are still challenging enough for a novice (me) and I'm having fun with them.
Yes, leaving the silver mage exposed to wolf riders forced me to go back a few turns.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
N.A.
axelotl

Post by axelotl »

High Lord (1.6.2)

Clear

Having the self-restraint to wait for the Orcs to come to me.

None

No

I'm a little confused about the handling of Linaera's forces.They seem to have no upkeep cost but don't have the loyal attribute. I don't think this is adequately explained.
Don't axe a little. Axe a lottle.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

High Lord, Ver. 1.7

4. The trick is to have a scout take villages in the north, and ambush the leader with Linaera. My shyde also flew around the main front to help.

Clear. What's better than orc blood?

I didn't really find this one very interesting.

None really, just discovering the tactic said above.

7. It's a fun scenarios to teach beginners teleport attacks

Like as is.

I restarted from the middle to change tactic. In the easier versions, I just defeated every orc. Now with the ambush tactic I finished in 7 turns with very little gold spent.

A little less clear than the others, but still good
GuypronouncedGuy

Post by GuypronouncedGuy »

This was the fastest I've ever been able to finish a scenario, 4 turns.

Leader left his fort....
Attachments
AOI-Linaera_the_Quick_replay.gz
(14.19 KiB) Downloaded 1188 times
Honour is given
Respect is earned
Trust is shared
Integrity is a choice, not a trait.
cph

Post by cph »

(1) High Lord (Challenging), 1.8.0
(2) 4
(3) Clear
(4) Interesting
(5) The main fight is easy enough - the defensive terrain is ideal, and one scout was enough to cause the AI to split his forces to go chasing it. The hard part was killing the orc boss - not because it was hard, but because I was trying to shave off a turn and kill him at night, so after a few attempts that cost units I backed off and just took a bit more time.
(6) 5 - it's a fairly standard defensive battle, but the addition of mages to your force adds interest.
(7) I'm not sure that I could "see" the castle under siege when it was discussed in the dialogue; perhaps the screen could scroll to the siege when that line comes up.
(8) Just one forced restart, losing the leader when overstretching against the enemy boss.
Mountain_King
Translator

Re: Scenario 5: Linaera the Quick

Post by Mountain_King »

1.9.5, Challenging
Around 7 under the circumstances.
Clear as elephant spit.
It was fine.
Just shamans, and trying not to lose my leveled units.
Somewhere between 4-7.
None I can think of.
Nope.
It looked pretty well documented to me. I kinda liked the thing with the bread and glasses, the notes around that part were nice.
Attachments
RO-Linéara_Tapaidh_athfhéachaint.gz
(18.55 KiB) Downloaded 1046 times
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Faello

Post by Faello »

Challenging (High Lord) - most difficult one, 1.9.6, no saves/reloads, 145 starting gold

It's not a very difficult scenario, yet player is robbed from initiative and forced to defend in the forest on the river bank which can usually end in some losses due to the luck factor. Krughnar (Orcish Warlord) has 250gp and a lot of villages thanks to which he can send additional reinforcements into the battle. Finished this one in turn 12/24.

3 losses, 13 kills,

Crystal clear.

It was interesting. I liked the description of spell casting.

Not losing my veteran units.

It has ok design and one, forced approach with limited player initiative. Not really interesting.

I don't think that anything can be done.

Yes, twice - losing Erlornas (1) and losing my veteran ranger (2) - both times due to bad luck.

I've noticed that I could play further after losing Erlornas :shock: Someone should check into this scenario defeat conditions.

Replay attached:
Attachments
Linaera the Quick replay, Challenging (High Lord) difficulty level, 1.9.6, no saves/reloads
(23.4 KiB) Downloaded 917 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

1) Normal
(2) 3 I had a bunch of levelled units AND i get backup?
(3) Simple
(4) Not bad, not great. It could have mentioned the silver mage village teleport, which I didnt know about till i checked later.
(5) I think this scenario was lacking major challenges.
(6) Not great but not awful. Serves its tutorial purpose. Maybe would have been balanced if i had started playing other campaigns as well, or had done badly
(7) Make it a little harder
(8) I dont remeber clearly, but I cant imagine anything but my own carelessness
CeltiK

Post by CeltiK »

1.10.0; Hard no saves/reloads.

5. You need to defend so you can expect some losses.

Very clear.

Interesting.

Drive the orcs back while protecting my veterans.

7. A good one.

It's fine this way.

I restarted once after I lost Erlornas and my elvish captain during the same turn (I don't know why I keep losing my captains lol).

Everything's fine here.
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Easy 1.10.2
100%
I liked how erlornas knew exactly what the bridgeless tower meant from the start.
The initial brunt of the attack, managed to clean it up though.
8. Using a silver mage ads an interesting dynamic. I like how the silver mage was able to recruit, this freed up elornas to go do some fighting. I crept around the west and took villages with the lesser mages, then used them to storm the castle from the back, and the silver mage teleported in to aid them, while the orcs were distracted on the front lines with elornas and his men.
None
No
Fate is against me.
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Challenging 1.10.7

Clear.

The introduction dialog has to be my favorite of the campaign, and stands as some as the best characterization/world building I've seen in any of the campaigns I've played so far. However this level also erases any chance of there actually being an interesting twist to the campaign as a whole, with the magic noticed last scenario belonging to friendly humans instead of hostile orcs.

The orcs recruit a decent number of level 2 units, including a large number of mobile level 2 goblin knights, and most of the level is open terrain where a large confrontation with the orcs would likely go poorly. The campaign as a whole has also left me fairly gold starved and this is the scenario where that really hurt, as I was not able to field a comparable force. Additionally I just gained 3 very valuable and very fragile loyal mages that I want to keep alive, not an easy feat with so many mobile level 2's on the field. The only thing preventing this scenario from being too difficult is the river right outside the starting position makes for a decent defensive position to hold off the orcs, but that did require me to abandon all the villages to the orcs and I finished the level heavily in debt.

7. Its a good nice challenging battle.

Its fine as it is.

No.
kiss

Post by kiss »

No much choice than going on for fight. Reduce village's disadvantage.

Strategy: Use the castle's hole to build a strong position.

Turn 8: Over.

Fighter(beginner)1.10.7

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 1

Clear.

This touch of magic is awesome, it's really nice. I like the end also, they were not sure to, but they become friends and fight side by side.

I was afraid to be too weak, but this prevents me from hurrying! Maybe I spread experience too much?

I'm still learning, and enemies hurt a lot.

I've already discovered the hint in TSG. I wasn't able to use it this time! As far as I remember, it works well with villages far away from each other ... and even when I sent a scoot into the upper right, enemies don't attack.
Introduce this tip in TSG may be better as there is more room to try it in the southwest. I think this technic is between basic's moves and strategy, so it may be ok.

None.

I don't know.
Attachments
(17.66 KiB) Downloaded 749 times