Scenario 4: Valley of Trolls

Feedback for the mainline campaign An Orcish Incursion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mountain_King
Translator

Re: Scenario 4: Valley of Trolls

Post by Mountain_King »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.9.5, Challenging
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
The easiest in the whole campaign, about a 2. I'm not sure if shamans-only made it easier or harder.
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear as a gem.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
It was good.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Just shamans. The blue leader ran out to get my decoy shaman and then was faerie-fired by an enchantress and Erlornas.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None I can think of.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Nope.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Know it, but didn't look.
Attachments
RO-Gleann_Troill_athfhéachaint.gz
(19.41 KiB) Downloaded 809 times
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Faello

Post by Faello »

Challenging (High Lord) - most difficult level, 1.9.6, no saves/reloads, 158 starting gold

Both of the Troll Warriors have a decent fixed income and can send some pretty strong level 2 trolls to combat. Pack of fighters supported by a captain and marksman + ranger combo is enough to defeat them. It's also important to have a scout in this scenario, since it's full of FoW.

1 loss, 14 kills

Crystal clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

I'd say it was pretty standard.

Luring Troll Warriors out of their caves. Managed to do it once, but they go only for 1hit-kills in certain circumstances, so I had to deal with another one in his cave.

It's quite original scenario regarding the idea of fighting trolls coming out of the fog. You never know what might lurk in the fog... :shock:

:mrgreen:

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

No changes required, it's great as it is.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

No.

Replay attached:
Attachments
AOI-Valley_of_Trolls_replay.gz
Valley of Trolls replay, Challenging (High Lord) difficulty level, 1.9.6, no saves/reloads
(23.58 KiB) Downloaded 914 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
Einherjar

Post by Einherjar »

1.9.6, challenging.

3. I had a bunch of guys at level 2, and one at level 3, so killing the trolls was an easy task.

100% clear.

This mission felt like a "filler", but the dialogue served well enough as an excuse to slaughter trolls.

Nothing major. The level 3 trolls has a scary hammer attack that can easily kill a level 2/3 elf, but I was lucky.

8. Nothing special. Explore + exterminate is always great fun though.

Maybe make it a tad harder. One extra troll village, maybe.

Nope.
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

Problem elves?

1) Normal
(2) 6 first truly challenging scenario. Trolls seemed daunting at first, though the straterg here was simple once you find it
(3) I had trouble figuring out if i had foudn all the trolls.... otherwise pretty clear
(4) Eh
(5) Ow, trolls hit hard. Learning the joy of slow, bunching up people for my druid to heal, and beating this reasonbly quickly without dying
(6) 7 spikes a little sudden and it drags slightly, but does a good job teaching people the value of Shamans, Druids and Sorcers. As in I hope you had a bunch of the first and at least 1 of the other 2 . Scenario seemed to drag a bt witht he regenration and fighting trolls was repetive but eh. Tbh I couldn't be bothered to play this on hard. Should I?
(7) Prepare people earlier(a hint to feed some experince to shamans). Let them know how many trolls are out there. This level was lacking in variety and seemed to drag a little imo but I dont know how you'd change that.
(8) Trolls hit hard
PorkSol

Post by PorkSol »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Hard, 1.9.8, no reloads
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 4 on this run. The difficulty for this one is interesting though. This was the second campaign I tried and at the time I thought Valley of Trolls was a 10 difficulty. After playing through HtTT and then re-starting this campaign, I cleared this one first try with minimal casualties. It can definitely be a brick wall to the unprepared, but it was pretty easy with a bit more experience with the game and a better mix of leveled units.
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Fine.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Pretty much non existent.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? The second troll was reluctant to be lured out of his cave so I stalled for a bit to wait for dawn and my final method of luring him was kind of risky/dumb.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 8. It's a really well done scenario.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? Tough call. It definitely represents an abrupt difficulty spike, but I wouldn't want to mess with it much as it's one of the better scenarios in the campaign.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? Not this time.
Attachments
Hard, 1.9.8, no reloads
(22.07 KiB) Downloaded 777 times
CeltiK

Post by CeltiK »

1.10.0; Hard no saves/reloads.

2. I had a good fighting force at the beginning of the scenario.

Crystal clear.

It's ok but I wonder why the Elvish Lord talks to a mere lv1 unit at the beginning? Why can't it be the most experienced unit in his army?

Just finish as quickly as possible to stock up gold for the next scenario.

6. Nothing particular here.

It's good as it is.

None.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
It's not very important but maybe create a list of unit types for the advisor because it's a bit weird to see Elornas discussing things with a mere lv1 unit when you have lv2 or lv3 units available; for example:
[role]
type=Elvish Champion,Elvish Marshal,Elvish Captain,Elvish Hero,Elvish Ranger
role=Advisor
[/role]
Attachments
(18.12 KiB) Downloaded 878 times
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

easy
Perfectly
Medium
The trolls just kept healing too damn much. Usually when i play a scenario where there are trolls, there is usually only a few, and they are part of a more mixed army. My strategy in that case is to ignore the trolls and focus on the un-regenerating units, which basically nullifies the fact that the trolls even regenerate, until they are the only thing left which is when i surround them with my entire remaining troops and take them out in 1 or 2 turns. But in this scenario it was only trolls, so that strategy fell to pieces. Regardless of the time of day i was fighting them at, the regeneration was just too high. Because i was fighting ONLY trolls, i had to slug it out slow, because since there was multiple of them, i could not use my normal surround tactic to fight them after the other units were dead. I could maybe get 3 units on a troll max at a time, and in many cases the damage done by these units didn't even match their regeneration rate, and if it did, it was only by like 2 damage. I had my units fighting the entire time, and the trolls didn't have enough firepower to actually challenge me, but their regeneration actually caused me to run out of turns. I've beaten 3 campaigns so far, and this was the only scenario out of any of them that i actually ran out of turns ever. To finally beat it, i loaded a few turns back, and put my only lv 2 unit, along with my hero, both in the direct line of fire, without regard to their safety, and barely managed to push out a win.
Well i don't think it would be plausible to turn down the regen, because that would make the units inconsistent with other scenarios where it isn't a problem... the only thing i can think of right now is possibly extending the amount of turns to complete the scenario.
Yes, see number 5.
Fate is against me.
ShadowDancer

Post by ShadowDancer »

Medium one 1.10.2

The trolls were pretty tough but can't really kill your leader. This was the hardest scenario in the campaign for me.

Very clear.

Pretty good but nothing special.

Fighting the first group of trolls. I made the mistake to fight them in the wrong terrain and I lost some units early but after beating the first leader, I had no problem to advance to the second one. Finding their weaknesses as a new player was also a challenge for me, big damage and innate sustain are scary in the beginning.

8 - For new players, it's an introduction to trolls and what they are good at.

Maybe some tips said from allied characters on how to fight a troll, I generally find the map very balanced for a novice campaign.

No, I did it in one go.
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Challenging 1.10.7

Clear.

The beginning is interesting, hinting that there may be more to the situation then meets the eye with the orcs having access to magic. Then trolls attack and the scenario becomes a bunch of filler.

I can see the potential for this scenario to be difficult but after playing through HttT I know how to kill trolls with elves. Slow any level 2 or above trolls with shamans, pelt them with ranged attacks, and they cannot really threaten you, at least not with the low number of level 2 units they were displaying here.

4. Trolls are a bit too one dimensional of an opponent to be interesting to fight, and the setup of the scenario makes it clear enough what you'll be facing that you will have no problem recruiting/recalling the appropriate units for the task.

I can't really think of anything without changing the whole concept of the level.

No.
kiss

Post by kiss »

Again 24 turns.
As I feel weak, I do not have much choice than being careful.

Turn 1, ...,4: Pfuiii, wrong move!

Turn 5, ..., 21: Over

Fighter(beginner)1.10.7

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 1
With my handicap, I've thought it will be more difficult.

Clear.

Interesting and fine.

Keeping all my troops alive.

It was fun to pull the trolls out of the hills.

Weak as I am, it's ok like that. I was near to run out of turns.

Nothing.

I don't know.
Attachments
(20.89 KiB) Downloaded 699 times
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Lord (Normal) 165 Gold

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario?

Clear

Good on both points

Avoiding carelessness. Had to think a bit more with positioning to preserve my units, Didn't do as well with carryover in this scenario.

None

No
Attachments
1.12.5 Normal
(28.23 KiB) Downloaded 641 times
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Just funny playing only shamans to shydes strategy at hardest difficulty.
Trolls can easely kill shydes at night, reloaded couple of mistakes.
Attachments
(20.98 KiB) Downloaded 697 times
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Remellion

Post by Remellion »

1. Played on High Lord (Challenging), 1.12.1 English / 1.12.5 French shamans-only.

2. Difficulty: Now maybe 6 for me still for the generic run, the risk of units dying is present, but losing 1 levelled unit should still be playable. Shamans-only is much easier, 4 maybe. I remember as a beginner however this was the most difficult scenario in the campaign (on easy!)

3. Objective was more of the same, but at least the shroud makes it more interesting - how many leaders?

4. Dialogue is interesting, but the question about magic is resolved later. This scenario is trolls.

5. Challenges: Well, this scenario isn't actually too difficult, but the nature of trolls is that there's always a risk of them just coming out and killing a unit suddenly if you get careless. Good luck saved me quite more than I deserved with this play.

Generic run: My units should have died 3 times over at points but the RNG kept them in it. I think only the first instance (captain) could've turned the scenario around, since after that incident everything was controllable. But really poor placement and decisions from me - my play also got sloppy at the end because these mistakes got to me. Still. The general idea is just to keep units close and healed up, blast down trolls with faerie fire and ranged attacks and keep the survivors slowed. Trolls' low defence and movement points, coupled with their few numbers in this scenario, means the scenario shouldn't be too hard.

Shamans-only: There are few things more fun than knowing you're going to get lots of enchantresses. The poor trolls get melted by faerie fire and usually have 99.7% to be slowed (on 30% defence, 3 entangle hits.) Lost a sorceress on turn 6 because I got really waaay too greedy with exp allocation. Have to be careful with positioning here, but if you always get in the first (slowing) hit in on trolls, it's almost a cakewalk. Finished on first attempt, even with minor bad luck overall.

6. Fun? - the fun here is in being meticulous about positioning units and eliminating risk as far as possible. In that sense, I give it a 6 because I like that sort of thing. Also because it's fun to see the sorceress line really come into the picture here.

7. Suggestions: None really.

8. Restarts/reloads? I restarted the scenario once (no saveloading) for the generic run because I lost a unit too early from poor placement and it snowballed. Probably deserved a second restart if not for the luck on my second attempt (-20% damage taken!) Still not very good at this game.
Attachments
Generic run, 1.12.1 hardest
(28.55 KiB) Downloaded 630 times
UIO-La_Vallée_des_trolls_revoir_la_partie.gz
Shamans-only, 1.12.5 hardest
(22.81 KiB) Downloaded 814 times
nikita1996

Post by nikita1996 »

1.12.6 Hard

10. Really the hardest scenario of the campaign! I lost two level 3 units and my king was nearly killed for two times!

Very clear.

The storyline is simple and clear. The story is all about the battle between the elves and the orcs.

The major challenge is how to reach the second enemy king after killing the first one. Enemy troops is much larger than mine. It's really difficult to move on while lots of enemies are rushing to me. Also, there is another challenge: how to kill the enemy king in one turn without hurting myself. You shouldn't attack the enemy king in the castle for the enemy king has high defense in the castle. You must attract the enemy king out of the castle and force him to stand on low-defense areas.

7. Much more fun than other scenarios. Shround increases the difficulty of exploring the map. Really a challenging scenario. One disadvantage is, this scenario is too difficult and it's inappropriate in a novice-level campaign. I think the author of the scenario should lessen the enemy's income or initial money.

Lessen the difficulty of this campaign, even a little bit.

Yes. I restarted the final turn 3 times! I had to try again and again to kill the king in one turn because it's impossible to let my king live even one more turn -- he was going to be surrounded.
Attachments
AOI-Valley_of_Trolls_replay.bz2
(19.52 KiB) Downloaded 694 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.14.0 Hard

Very clear.

Clear and uninteresting. A small skirmish between trolls and elves.

Baiting the first leader out of his castle without losing anything.

5. A change of pace/enemies and a way to learn how to play vs turtle leaders.

-

No.
Attachments
AOI-Valley of Trolls replay.gz
(21.13 KiB) Downloaded 703 times