Scenario 4: Valley of Trolls

Feedback for the mainline campaign An Orcish Incursion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Hestelvar

Re: Scenario 4: Valley of Trolls

Post by Hestelvar »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Fighter (Easy)
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
3. Easy
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialogue and storyline of the scenario?
Intriguing. Nicely foreshadows the upcome scenario. The defeat conditions throughout the campaign - which I have not managed to trigger yet - are exceptional. I wish other campaigns would adopt the convention of explaining the results of failure.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Defeating the troll leaders in their caves without losses - I got lucky.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
7. A good introduction to trolls.
(7) What, if any, are the changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Maybe increase the difficulty slightly.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
None
Remarks:
When I play this campaign years ago (also on easy difficulty) I experienced huge frustration and finally satisfaction in beating swarms of troll whelps. I learned a lot from that scenario and I’m slightly concerned this more forgiving guise is less instructive. Nonetheless, I wish to formally commend the developers for making this scenario appropriate for a novice campaign.
Attachments
AOI-Valley of Trolls Shaman Only replay.bz2
(15.34 KiB) Downloaded 589 times
AOI-Valley of Trolls replay.bz2
(16.38 KiB) Downloaded 593 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

- Easy, 1.14.5

- Pretty clear, get rid of trolls

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

- Clear. I like how the new environment strifes in the fear to elves and the revelation of magi allies in the next chapter,

- To lure out the trolls on flat ground where it's easy to defeat them

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

- None to think about

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

- Not at all
mxb2001

Post by mxb2001 »

[quote="Content Feedback" post_id=286111 time=1205252777 user_id=123454]
Normal, no cheating

Fine

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
A troll diversion, nice.

Not succumbing to temptation and reloading the game when my Marshall got killed by the second troll leader!

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
can't think of any

Nope, won it on first go.

[/quote]
01/01/01
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

1.14.7 on High Lord/Challenging.
5. This is definitely the most challenging scenario in the campaign so far, as you can't just hide in the woods the whole time anymore. The trolls are small in number, but can put out some good damage at night.

The player does, however, have access to the Slows special, and should have some Marksmen/Rangers/Heroes to output some damage by this point. If they're smart, and focus on one troll force at a time, this is pretty easy. If they try to split their forces, and face both trolls at once, it can be a bit more difficult.
Very.
Clear and competent. The dialogue at the start tells us a bit about elves and their dreams, which is kind of interesting, but it also sets us up to expect an undead surprise that won't come anytime soon.
Without a lot of forest terrain, I did find myself having to nominate unfortunate fighters to take a lot of damage from the trolls. They all survived in the end, but with a bit of bad RNG I could've lost some.
5. It's pretty basic, without much variation in the enemies. However, they are a new enemy for the campaign, and the lack of forest terrain everywhere forces the player to get a bit more creative in their tactics.
The path through the cave in the north-west looked like it would be holding a secret, I was quite disappointed when I got through it to find it's just a pointless shortcut.
No.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.