Scenario 3: Wasteland

Feedback for the mainline campaign An Orcish Incursion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 3: Wasteland

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Jozrael

Re: Scenario Review: AOI 3 - Wasteland

Post by Jozrael »

Hard
Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Nonexistent.
It was a very tiny battle: an extra recall on my side and extra troops on theirs would've been nice.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Well, I would've increased my income for one. You're giving me an income of 9. <.<. My army of 6 lvl 2s costs 12 :x. And I got several l3s during the course of the level.

<.< I suppose it could be an exercise in recalling very few troops, but come on, wheres the fun in that ^^. I want a real battle.

Btw, give the enemy some extra hardcoded lvl 1s. He recruits 6 lvl 2s, so give him a handful of lvl 1s and you a bit of extra gold from last lvl/income on this lvl, and you'd be golden :D

EDIT: Also: increase the win early bonus to more than 2 a turn -_-. At LEAST as much as the base income is, please. I exited that level with -5 gold, and thats only because I was quick about it :P.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Nope, 1 try no losses.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

High Lord (Challenging) 1.5.6

3. Orcs can be a problem, especially the level 3 leader, but my units are mostly level 2 at this point, so I managed to kill the orcs with ease. It only took 6 turns.

Crystal.

Very clear, and very well-written. However, I did find a bug at the end of the scenario dialogue. (Mentioned at bottom.)

None.

5. Not so much fun, on the easy side, but the whole bit about the orcs finding a pass from the north/the map setup is a nice touch.

More orcs, more of a battle (even if it is supposed to be a small tribe).

None.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Took a look at the scenario file after the dialogue sounded funny, and noted that the lines meant to be spoken by the Advisor are left out completely, so that Erlornas appears to be speaking to himself.

Not sure if this was fixed yet in svn, but thought I would point it out.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Jequ

Post by Jequ »

Hardest
Very very easy... even easier than previous scenarios and I started with minimum gold.
Very clear. Kill the Orc.
It is good.
Nothing really...
8, it was extremely fun.
Nothing really
I had to restart once because the orcs were in unfavourable position. Next time I rushed with my king to the one forest which has grassland around it... Orcs didn't attack him (3 could have) and most of them moved next to a forest where I could shoot them down. Then i had more units and killed them all. I slowed the Leader so it wasn't a problem. At some point I placed my leader badly but he survived (thanks RNG).
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Well, like in the most (didn't check them all) of AOI scenarios, 'turns=' limit and 'next_scenario=' were at the end of the file. Better place would be after map_data.
Daedal

Post by Daedal »

Medium (V 1.6a)
Clear
Clear and interesting enough, given the scenario.
I brought out too many troops before realizing I have no villages to take on this map.
8. This scenario is a nice change of pace tactically and story-wise. It's nice to have a small skirmish now and then and it adds some realistic flavor to the story.
No changes needed, but I suppose the dialogue could hint more strongly that the player shouldn't bring up too many troops. This only because the scenario is novice rated.
No, but next time around I'll recruit one fewer elf.
Joram

Post by Joram »

Hardest; 1.6.0

2- This one was much easier than the last one, even though there were lvl 2 recruits. I had 2 elvish shamans that were 2 xp from advancing and an elvish druid, so healing wasn’t a problem and I was able to just entangle his troops down to where they couldn’t really do anything. My Marksman helped a lot.

Clear.

Again, excellent dialogue. There isn’t very much storyline to this campaign, but the style of the dialogue is a joy to read.

The dialogue for Erlonas’ death is excellent. I didn’t get to see it triggered, but I looked over the WML, and it’s really good.

I didn’t really have any. I got it first try by entangling the life out of him and attacking him in the open from trees.

9- Interesting not having any villages. And this is still the good part of a campaign; the part where I still have a bunch of level ones.

I can’t think of any.

No.

I might insert a comment or two about the orcish recruiting. I’m very poor with WML; I know the basics of how to create a working campaign, but when you get into variables I’m easily lost.

Which is to say, it took me about 5 minutes to figure out what was going on with the orcish recruits and no one else would likely have any problems whatsoever.
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
axelotl

Post by axelotl »

High Lord (1.6.2)

Clear

Shouldn't "Erlornas was near-certain would find orcs there." be something like "Erlornas was near-certain the party would find orcs there."?

None. After the last scenario, I was expecting to encounter asssasins, and relieved that there were noe here.

On the hardest level, perhaps the Orcs should be allowed to recruit just one assassin? Or would that make the scenario too hard?

No.

The logic that handles the Orc recruitment is rather complicated. We might get no L2 Orcs recruited, or we might get three in a row (or several other possibilities). This will randomly affect the difficulty of the level.
Don't axe a little. Axe a lottle.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

High Lord, Ver. 1.7

2. Orc lvl 2's aren't much better at fighting elves in forests that lvl 1's. :wink:

Clear.

It's good, but I don't think it was as inventive as the previous one.

None.

More enemy units. And not wolf riders, but Goblin Knights and especially Goblin Pillagers.

Nope.

Looks fine.
ftl

Post by ftl »

Mythological wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1. Easy
2. 4
3. Clear.
4. Straightforward.
5. Picking how best to set up a defensive line in the forests. Also, I had a lot of almost-leveled units, and I tried to use their level-up heal effectively.
6. 7. I had a lot of fun with it. Lack of villages makes it much simpler and I didn't need to divert units around to grab villages, I could just focus on the tactics.
7. None. I liked the gimmick.
8. Orcs were good at punishing my screwups... a few times I got careless and lost leveled guys because of a bad defensive line I started over.
cph

Post by cph »

(1) High Lord (Challenging), 1.8.0; I entered with ~190 gold IIRC.
(2) 1; finished on turn 8. I recalled several units close to level up, but didn't even need to.
(3) Clear.
(4) Clear, and good.
(5) I was slightly surprised to see L2 enemies, having only recalled one L2 myself. But the forest layout is ideal for elves and their attacks were largely ineffective. But I had them outnumbered with my L1s so could easily asborb the hits provided I stayed in woodland.
(6) 5 - I like the storyline, and the nice barren effect with the withered trees etc in the north part of the map. The fight is rather ordinary.
(7) The level would benefit from more depth to the action. Making the map longer north-to-south, so you had the one fight in the middle as you do now, and perhaps a second fight (inject a bit more gold once the player gets to the north) to take the keep and surrounding swamp.

But perhaps I'm overthinking it; I guess the scenario is more aimed at new players to teach them to have healers around.

(8) no.
ayrnieu

Re: Scenario 3: Wasteland

Post by ayrnieu »

1. Medium (1.9.1)
2. 4.
3. Clear.
4. The enemy leader isn't as memorable as earlier leaders in the campaign, but I liked it that the theme of the map goes so well with the storyline.
5. Moving around the enemy line to strike units from more than 1-2 directions. I could have done a better job of drawing them out.

8. The second unit that I began the scenario with, and talked about the forest with, I lost. At the end of the scenario, then, some parts of the dialogue seemed to be missing.
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

1.9.5, Challenging
As a scenario in a beginner campaign, even with my own restrictions, it was only about a 6.
Clear as can be.
Thumbs up!
Just shamans.
None I can think of.
Nope.
Know it, but didn't look.
Attachments
RO-Talamh_gan_Saothru_athfhéachaint.gz
(16.09 KiB) Downloaded 891 times
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Faello

Post by Faello »

Challenging (High Lord) - most difficult level, 1.9.6, no saves/reloads, 180 starting gold

Gnargha has 160gp that he spents on inefficient in cost-to-power ratio lvl2 units. His whole detachment was slayed in the first 6 turns. Finished it 18 turns before the turn limit.

3 losses, 9 kills.

Crystal clear.

Not really that interesting as previous dialogs.

None major challenges.

I understand that it's a novice level campaign, but at the top difficulty level it should present more challenge than a 6 turns combat.

Give Gnargha much more gold. This map is big enough to play some manouver warfare.

Nope.

Replay attached:
Attachments
AOI-Wasteland_replay.gz
Wasteland replay, Challanging (High Lord) difficulty level, 1.9.6, no saves/reloads
(20.71 KiB) Downloaded 1010 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Normal, Hard
4 for normal 3 for hard (in that normal was minamlly challenging for newbies and that hard didnt really add much)
Crystal
Eh
Using less units than normal
6 Its a bit easy and makes the next level seem like a nasty spike, but its not bad training people to do more with less and how to fight without relying on villages. 4 Hard mode was bland an needed more spice
Warn people to start preparing mages for the next level(fortunetly I sort of did this on my own since I played a bit of HTT)......
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? Carelessness, I think.
Desert_Shyde

Post by Desert_Shyde »

I played on hard. I believe I found a bug. The marksman I started the scenario with died during the battle, and at the end the leader was talking to himself strangely. I assume he was supposed to be talking to the aforementioned marksman and that the code should reselect someone to talk to in the event of a death.
The Militia
Merry Christmas
Journey to the North Pole