Scenario 2: Assassins

Feedback for the mainline campaign An Orcish Incursion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jonaskoelker

Re: Scenario 2: Assassins

Post by jonaskoelker »

(1) Difficulty: normal (v1.10)
(2) Hardness: 3
(3) Objectives: perfectly clear
(4) Dialog/Story: perfectly clear, not particularly gripping.
(5) Biggest challenge: dealing with poison + slowish units + scattered villages.
(6) Fun: decent, 6/10.
(7) Changes: none
(8) Restarts: redid a few turns where I overstretched.
(9) WML: dunno.
Attachments
AOI-Assassins_replay.gz
(15.27 KiB) Downloaded 913 times
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Challenging 1.10.7

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
The writings fine, and even has a few nice touches.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The orcs have a decent numbers advantage, that made the start of the level a little tricky, but again there is a lot a favorable terrain for defense, and after a few turns of battle I was able to level a few units this map, which combined with those I leveled the previous map gave me a large edge against the level 1 orcs.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
7. Its just another straight forward battle with nothing to special to make it stand out, but again it highlights the strength of the core gameplay well.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Nothing comes to mind

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
kiss

Post by kiss »

A shaman from my team is on the storyline? I like that.
24 turns again, but the map seems wider.
This time i'll wont be doomed by night! I think I need 1 or 2 more archers and perhaps a rider. But not sure I'll have time to do all that.

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Fighter(beginner)1.10.7

I really don't know? Perhaps 1 as I claim a victory, but so many are dead!

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
The truth is that I forgot it!

Form a good shape when possible! (turn 5)

10 without any hesitation! It was really interesting, it makes me discover what is maybe the most important!

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I was expecting more hints in fact, facing such units on this kind of map is really a chalenge.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Nothing.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
I don't know.
Attachments
AOI-Assassins_replay.gz
(19.57 KiB) Downloaded 821 times
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Lord (Normal) 199 Gold

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario?

Clear

Good on both points

Avoiding carelessness

None

No
Attachments
AOI-Assassins_replay.gz
1.12.5 Normal
(22.7 KiB) Downloaded 744 times
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Just funny playing only shamans to shydes strategy.
Assassins helpless vs druids.
Attachments
AOI-Assassins_replay.gz
(19.02 KiB) Downloaded 813 times
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Remellion

Post by Remellion »

1. Played on High Lord (Challenging), 1.12.1 English / 1.12.5 French shamans-only.

2. Difficulty: Once you know a method to deal with the scenario, it becomes relatively easy, maybe about 4. However, I do remember as a beginner way back when (1.6? 1.8?) this scenario posed quite the challenge. The poison, time of day and evasive assassins aren't pleasant to work against.

3. Objective is as clear as it can get. 1 on 1 battle.

4. Dialogue is natural, storyline forms a natural progression. Fight orcs, go further out, find more orcs.

5. Challenges: As a beginner, this had been my introduction to facing poison and elusivefoot units, highly unpleasant. As typical in these campaign scenarios, the danger is the initial onslaught of AI units, and poison which may cripple your troops too much to push back during the second day.

Generic run: Came in with 179 gold, recruiting 2 scouts for village grabbing and fodder, banked 2 turns. Recalled druid and captain for obvious reasons, then set up defensive line at southern forest/river edge. The priority was to hold the forest line, trying to avoid assassins on 70% while keeping elves on good defence. Turn 7 shaman at (10,16) was fodder to preserve the experienced fighter (AI wouldn't use a grunt/wolf to attempt the kill). Some greediness before the situation completely settled could've cost me experienced units, and definitely very greedy xp allocation after the second afternoon when things were under control.

Shamans-only: Came in with 142 gold. Erlonas being the only melee unit, he got the role of assassin slayer, running around killing assassins while shamans spammed slow. +4 heal also counters poison quite well; the poisoned unit isn't cured, but doesn't lose HP if next to a +4 healer. I'm not sure how the AI got so unlucky (-31% inflicted!), but I'm sure I could've cleared the scenario with average luck as well. I think it's mainly a result of fodder units I sent to die stubbornly not dying.

6. Fun is a 7 for the tactical challenge, 8 if shamans-only. I imagine it'd be different for a beginner though...

7. Suggestions: Mm, not really.
8. I have to put this out there: I don't saveload. That -31% is ridiculous.
Attachments
AOI-Assassins_replay.gz
Generic run, 1.12.1 hardest
(26.56 KiB) Downloaded 813 times
UIO-Assassins_revoir_la_partie.gz
Shamans-only, 1.12.5 hardest
(21.87 KiB) Downloaded 870 times
nikita1996

Post by nikita1996 »

1.12.6 Hard

3. To defend the first wave of the enemies, just put my troops on the side of the river and wait for the enemies come. Don't go north before the first wave is cleared up.

Very clear: To kill the enemy king.

It's plain, not very interesting.

The main challenge is to estimate the strength of the enemy in the beginning of the scenario. If you don't know their strength and reach the king directly before the first wave cleared, you'll be hurt seriously.

4. Nothing strange except for there's more poison fighters than a usual battle.

Add someting strange and add some RPG points to the game, just like UtBS. For e.g., the main task can be changed during the middle of the scenario.

No.
Attachments
AOI-Assassins_replay.bz2
(17.71 KiB) Downloaded 680 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

1.14.0 Hard

Hard to misunderstand.

Plain and clear.

Looking at the 'time' (day/night) so I wouldn't rush at the wrong moment. Minor challenge at most.

Maybe add an ambush with orcish assasins?

No.
Attachments
AOI-Assassins replay.gz
(18.14 KiB) Downloaded 747 times
Hestelvar

Post by Hestelvar »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Fighter (Easy)
5 or 6 about average. A dramatic increase over the previous scenario.
Clear. Kill the orc leader without getting killed.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialogue and storyline of the scenario?
Clear. Though I would have welcomed more dialogue it is adequate.
Picking the best strategy.
7. Good. The map is a huge improvement over the previous scenario.
(7) What, if any, are the changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
It’s pretty good as it is. The only suggestion I can think of would be meeting a character from another race with whom Erlornas could make an alliance of necessity. The alliance could be optional and trigger a rebellion among some of Erlornas’s troops.
At first I tried to make a stand on the central peninsula but was quickly surrounded and suffered intolerable losses.
Remarks:
Balance the difficulty between scenarios 1 & 2. I recall that when I started playing Wesnoth inconsistent difficulty levels made estimating the enemy’s strength from one scenario to the next a nightmare.
Attachments
AOI-Assassins Shaman only replay.bz2
(15.13 KiB) Downloaded 708 times
AOI-Assassins replay.bz2
(14.92 KiB) Downloaded 612 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- Easy, 1.14.5

- Another simple one - dispatch orcish slayer, but it isn't that easy

- Pretty well handled. Orcs could do themselves a favor and if they want to kill elves and claim the land - DO IT THEN!

- Trying to keep orcs, especially orcish assassins in rivers, where their defense is the weakest. Otherwise, nothing much

- None to think about

- Nah
mxb2001

Post by mxb2001 »

Content Feedback wrote: March 11th, 2008, 4:25 pm (1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Normal

Crystal

Meh, nowhere as great as Southern Guard campaign which was literature level.

Have not met them yet, keep getting my main line poisoned and thus breaking. Sending in King piece once the scant cash is exhausted seals my fate.

7 because I guess I'm a masochist who likes fighting a hopless battle.

Make it winnable?

As above, the orc hordes washing over my few and then poisoning them.
01/01/01
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

mxb2001 wrote: January 26th, 2019, 7:13 pm Make it winnable?
There are multiple replays of this scenario in this thread. Maybe watching them will give you an idea as to how to beat it.
mxb2001

Post by mxb2001 »

[quote=Konrad2 post_id=638004 time=1548537018 user_id=124329]
[quote=mxb2001 post_id=637997 time=1548530027 user_id=175961]
Make it winnable?
[/quote]

There are multiple replays of this scenario in this thread. Maybe watching them will give you an idea as to how to beat it.
[/quote]

Sorry, I should have posted feedback after winning it, it's a current status review I guess. I found this forum while searching for clues as to winning it and gleaned the neccesary info and will apply it today. Fairly certain the trick is shamans, I overlooked them since they could not cure poison and forgot (newbie!) that they can halt its effects!
01/01/01
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

1.14.7 on High Lord/Challenging.
5. The sheer amount of Orcish Assassins that get sent at the player can be a bit overwhelming if you let them attack you from good terrain. If you hold the river, you can cut them down pretty easily, as they're more than willing to get onto bad terrain to attack you, and that island has three villages for curing the poison and healing up. This pretty much negates all the advantages of the elusive poisoners.

The only reason I went as high as five is because this scenario could potentially be quite punishing if the player doesn't hold the river. There's a lot of forests and hills through the middle of the map where the assassins will be very hard to hit, and the amount of assassins and wolf riders means that shielding poisoned units can be tricky.

In all honesty, I over-recruited and went down into negative income. However, I was finished halfway through the turn limit, which sent me into the next scenario with a decent amount of gold anyway - basically just as much as the enemy leader, in fact.
Perfectly clear.
Clear and competent, but very bland.
Dealing with that amount of poison attacks is always a risk.
4. I felt like there was only one particularly viable tactical choice - to hold the river on your home island, and so have three nearby villages and a massive terrain advantage. On top of that, I'm just not a fan of fighting poison attacks in general.
Perhaps adding a couple of fords to the river would make it less easily defensible? I'd probably also remove one of the villages, and move it further up the map. This would further reduce the player's income, and give them more incentive to play more aggressively. Perhaps cut down the turn limit, too?
I wasn't paying attention and left Erlornas where he could be attacked, and got very unlucky with the RNG. That was more my sloppy play than anything in the scenario, though.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Easy

Clear

Clear and well written (or translated into German as the case might be)

Reaching the intended river defense line wasn't possible. Some of the orks were forced to sit in the river but a few managed a beachhead in the forests and hills and inflicted heavy losses. Luckily I cheat by using non-fatal wounds add-on.
After reading the prior review I should mention that to me the intended defense line was the second river in the middle of the map, not the first one reached from the keep.

Can't think of any. Maybe better advice on where to try and meet the orcs.

Nope, won on first try with a straight play through just like the prior scenario.