Scenario 2: Assassins

Feedback for the mainline campaign An Orcish Incursion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

monochromatic

Re: Scenario Review: AOI 2 - Assassins

Post by monochromatic »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
High Lord, Ver. 1.7

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
5. The annoying thing isn't poison. It's that it's marksman, so my druid ends up just curing rather that healing through most of the scenario.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear. All you want is fresh orc blood. :wink:

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Good. I especially liked the "demented creature" line. It was pretty cool. :)

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None, except for poison marksman

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
7. It's a good intro to poisoning for beginners, especially in the easier versions.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
More assassins? to annoy players like me? :P

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Nope.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Looking good.
Erendir

Post by Erendir »

In one of my games AI was really strange (look at screenshot below)
I was surprized :)
Game replay also attached.
Attachments
AOI_Assassins_-_Strange_AI_replay.gz
game replay
(18.24 KiB) Downloaded 854 times
AOI Assassins strange AI moves.JPG
ftl

Post by ftl »

Mythological wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
1. Easy.
2. 8. Yeah, yeah, I'm a n00b. I was being way too aggressive, and kept getting riders killed, and didn't hold a solid like on the island, tried to push further than I could afford to before nightfall. Poison made it harder, because the assassins got into forests and I couldn't kill them and they kept poisoning my dudes. It was all very educational though, it took a few tries and then I got better at the game and beat it losing only a cannon-fodder unit.
3. Clear.
4. Hah, I don't remember... I remember the strategy and tactics because I had to play through a few times, but don't remember much story/dialog besides a "we will kill those baddies!" intro.
5. Poison. Also, the setup of the islands means that being n00bish and overreaching and not planning a defensive strategy in advance gets punished.
6. 9. I like it when I feel like I became a better player by figuring things out rather than just reading them.
7. It's fine.
8. Nothing that caused a loss, but a few restarts when I got multiple experienced guys killed.
cph

Post by cph »

(1) High Lord (Challenging), 1.8.0
(2) 2
(3) clear
(4) Clear, not hugely interesting as, like the previous level, the plot is where-did-these-bad-guys-come-from-let's-kill-them; but it's probably building to something more interesting later on.

"...fallen prey a false sense of security" should be "fallen prey to a false sense of security"

(5) No major problems; I used the starting elf and a scout to hold the near bank of the northern river on turn 3 so I could fight the whole fight with the orcs stood in the river. Having achieved that, it was easy. Protecting injured units is also tricky when your army is small.

Perhaps the hard part here would be not having a L2 healer - but I happened to level one up on the 1st level.

(6) 7 - small forces and interesting terrain made a good little fight.
(7) I like it as it is.
(8) I forgot to recruit/recall a healer. I mean, sheesh, the level is named Assassins and I forgot a healer. I realised how dumb that was on turn 3 and restarted. :oops:
Mountain_King
Translator

Re: Scenario 2: Assassins

Post by Mountain_King »

We'll focus on the 1.9.5, Challenging.
5 to win, 8 under my own restrictions.
Crystal Clear
Very clear, very interesting.
Shaman-only recruiting. Not losing all my units. My strategy was to wait to get all the orcs in the water, and subsequently finish them off. It work pretty well until I almost ran out of shamans.
Before: 3. Now: 7
N/A
Nope.
I know it, but I didn't look.
Attachments
RO-Feallmharfóirí_athfhéachaint.gz
(21.4 KiB) Downloaded 977 times
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Faello

Post by Faello »

Challenging (High Lord) - most difficult level, 1.9.6, no saves/reloads, 173 starting gold

Gharlsa (Orcish Slayer) 240gp army had a tough clash with the reality in this one.

2 losses, 18 kills in this one.

Crystal clear.

It's interesting.

Finding a nice place to put a defensive line (which was easy).

It's a bit better than the previous one and offers some challenge.

No changes required.

No.

Replay attached:
Attachments
AOI-Assassins_replay.gz
Assasins replay, Challenging (High Lord) difficulty level, 1.9.6, no saves/reloads
(18.77 KiB) Downloaded 838 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

Lomex wrote:
I really like the idea of an "advanced tutorial", with these hints in every mission.
However, in this scenario the hint is about assassins and their poison, so I expect at least a few Poison-Units (besides the enemy leader) but the enemy recruited in this map 15grunts and 1 wolf-rider (no poison unit at all)

This is a bit strange, I think.

Also, the enemy-leader says in the beginning something like "Some victims for our wolf-riders" (I dont remember the exact phrase) but than he recuits only one wolf-rider and a lot of grunts...
I was going to make my own comments, but this dude summed everything up.

The idea is nice and this would have been a good learning experince, but the ai doesnt recruit assasins..
I think fixing that would help.

Without the assains its a bit too much like the previous level though slightly tougher
PorkSol

Post by PorkSol »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? Hard, 1.9.8, no save load
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 5.
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? There isn't much of it, but no complaints. I liked the way the assassin leader talked.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Keeping my experienced units alive. I probably should have recruited more fodder and I probably should have taken up a different defensive position on the first night. I won on the first try but I got badly swarmed for a while and I with different luck my veterans may not have survived.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 7. More interesting than the last one.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? It's fine as is. (although I've manually edited my config files so that the AI will recruit all the units on his recruit list, so I wouldn't notice if the AI has issues with not recruiting assassins).
No, thanks to some key dodges.
Attachments
AOI-Assassins_replay.gz
Hard, 1.9.8, no save load
(20.09 KiB) Downloaded 743 times
SBak

Post by SBak »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Easy.

Content Feedback wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
It depends on whether I have a druid or not and whether I level a unit up or not. If so then a 3-4 if not then a 6-7.
Content Feedback wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very clear - kill.
Content Feedback wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
You have your hero wondering where all the orcs are coming from while the enemy is more concerned about dog food. Maybe that's why wolf riders keep heading for villages. It's quite original as it goes.
Content Feedback wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Not having much gold and often not having a druid or lvl2 unit when you have an entire keep of orcs and a steady stream of grunts coming at you. The assassins aren't that much of a problem if you have elvish fighters, even less if you have an elvish hero.
Content Feedback wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
This is a scenario when I have more fun when I'm in a more difficult situation, such as not having much gold and no levelled units. This is the scenario where I start to level up units. Usually it's a 6 as it's a hard slog through the central peninsula. Often what saves me are the rivers.

I think it's okay as it is.

Numerous. I've had a shamen level to a druid only to be wiped out by two grunts and a wolf rider. I didn't lose, but Gharisa didn't survive St Patrick's Day. Usually it's when the grunts break through my line and the wolf riders move in and I realize that something like four wounded units isn't going to beat six healthy orcs and take out the leader.
Kaiserdrache

Post by Kaiserdrache »

Medium

4-5

Once again, very clear.

Very clear, but once again not interesting.

None. With one druid from the start and a second after turn 4, it's quite easy to deal with the poison.

No idea.

Nope.

No idea.
dedalus

Post by dedalus »

Hi folks!

I am a bit of a newbie on BfW, i finished the South Guard campaign on the beginner level and I am no playing the Orcish invasion campaign on the normal or medium level,

I am having a little problem with this scenario; in the keep, I have six slots to recruit, but the AI only sees 5, the last (southermost one) is not recognised.

Any idea how to fix that? Or I am getting something wrong?

thanks,
federico
lambda_fairy

Post by lambda_fairy »

dedalus wrote:I am having a little problem with this scenario; in the keep, I have six slots to recruit, but the AI only sees 5, the last (southermost one) is not recognised.
Are you sure it never uses that tile? I played that same scenario on medium and it fills its castle twice over.

If you could post your replay file (it's one of the menu options, something like "save replay") that would be great.
CeltiK

Post by CeltiK »

1.10.0; Hard no saves/reloads.

3. I had 2 druids so I didn't care about poison.

Crystal clear.

Fine.

It was harder to keep some units alive if you compare with the first scenario and I lost my newly promoted captain, but it's part of the game.

8. Here again I like a good 1v1 fight and the map is well designed.

It's good as it is.

None.

It's ok.
dedalus

Post by dedalus »

lambda_fairy wrote:
dedalus wrote:I am having a little problem with this scenario; in the keep, I have six slots to recruit, but the AI only sees 5, the last (southermost one) is not recognised.
Are you sure it never uses that tile? I played that same scenario on medium and it fills its castle twice over.

If you could post your replay file (it's one of the menu options, something like "save replay") that would be great.
sure, here it is, thanks!
Attachments
AOI-Assassins_replay.gz
(19.91 KiB) Downloaded 721 times
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Easy 1.10.2
100%
It was pretty basic but no complaints
Basically the flanking of a wolf around the west side, i had to pull a unit or two back to stop him from stealing villages, a nice mix up.
None
No
Fate is against me.