Scenario 1: Defend the Forest

Feedback for the mainline campaign An Orcish Incursion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

p013121

Re: Scenario 1: Defend the Forest

Post by p013121 »

I Found The Entire Orcish Intrution Senario really Easy Just By Recuting Elvish Archers And When They Level Up Turning Them Into Marksmen Not Rangers.

This Worked Really Well Because i Found At The Last Senario You Need Marksmen For The Orcish Assassians that Will Probably End Up In the Mountains With 70% Defence

A Simple Way In the End Is Just Recruit Archers And Turn Them Into Marksmen And Sharpshooters It's Far More Simple And Affective
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

p013121 wrote:I Found The Entire Orcish Intrution Senario really Easy Just By Recuting Elvish Archers And When They Level Up Turning Them Into Marksmen Not Rangers.

This Worked Really Well Because i Found At The Last Senario You Need Marksmen For The Orcish Assassians that Will Probably End Up In the Mountains With 70% Defence

A Simple Way In the End Is Just Recruit Archers And Turn Them Into Marksmen And Sharpshooters It's Far More Simple And Affective
You completely disregard the use of shamans. Have you tried Slyphs and Shydes together?
p013121

Post by p013121 »

elvish_sovereign wrote:
p013121 wrote:I Found The Entire Orcish Intrution Senario really Easy Just By Recuting Elvish Archers And When They Level Up Turning Them Into Marksmen Not Rangers.

You completely disregard the use of shamans. Have you tried Slyphs and Shydes together?
In The Final Senario It Helps To Have Sharpshooters For Units In The Mountains And When You Have 2 Sharpshooters 6 Marksmen The 4 Rangers You Get And The Elvish Rider You Can't Lose
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

p013121 wrote:
elvish_sovereign wrote: You completely disregard the use of shamans. Have you tried Slyphs and Shydes together?
In The Final Senario It Helps To Have Sharpshooters For Units In The Mountains And When You Have 2 Sharpshooters 6 Marksmen The 4 Rangers You Get And The Elvish Rider You Can't Lose
Sharpshooters only get 8-5 marksman, while Slyphs get 10-5 magical plus better defense and movetype everywhere. Shydes are flying poison curers and have a powerful slowing attack that halves the enemies' damage and moves for a turn.
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1.9.2 Hardest, and 1.9.5 Hardest. I also once played on 1.6/1.7 but that's irrelevant.
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
4 just to win, 7 to win using only shamans.
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear as mud.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
8 or so. This is one of my favourite campaigns.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
My major challenge was my commitment to only recruit shamans. I almost lost my last shamans twice, but they got lucky and managed to survive on the village.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
First time 4, second time 8.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
I was this close to save-loading in this scenario, but made an executive decision not to.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Didn't read through the code.

No saveloads, and no restarts either come to think of it.
Attachments
RO-Cosain_an_Foraois_athfhéachaint.gz
(13.87 KiB) Downloaded 1644 times
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Faello

Post by Faello »

Challenging (High Lord) - most difficult level, 1.9.6, no saves/reloads

Very relaxing forest defence scenario. Urugha has 150gp - it's almost a non existant advantage over the Erlornas 100gp and village&terrain advantage.

4 losses, 13 kills in this one.

Crystal clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

They're good.

Keeping xp'ed units alive. Was a bit careless and lost some nicely exped fighter in this one. AI also used the orcish archer boost nicely in this scenario and recruited quite a lot of them.

Player can really chill in this one. It's really relaxing, still some minor line-building skills are required.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

I'd raise amount of Urugha starting gold to 200 - 225gp.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

No.

Replay attached:
Attachments
AOI-Defend_the_Forest_replay.gz
Defend the Forest replay, High Lord (Challenging), 1.9.6, no saves/reloads
(12.53 KiB) Downloaded 822 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

Having made a negative post on HTT misson 1 I think its fair I post here.

1) Normal
(2) On it owns merits, 3, as a first time newbie scenario 4..... which in this case is perfect. Its fairly simple, but not turn your brain off easy. You encouraged to use a variety of units, and familrise yourself with the basics of the game, you can lose units if you mess up but its not aggravating. Wonderful scenario, got me back into Wesnoth, and should be the first campaign imho.
(3) Crystal
(4) Clear. Not that intresting but atmospheric at least, and got me in the mood
(5) Learning to play carefully, use terrain wisefully, go for good matchups and play the percentage game.
(6) On its own merits its too simple, but as a newbie scenario I'll give it a 10. Its a nearly perfect newbie scenario
(7) More varied terrain or something? I dunno
(8) Possible carlenessness i cant remeber. Nothing that made me think **** this

And then I replayed it on Hard. Its not that hard and abit simple for a hard level, but even then it was a good learning experince for how to handle a flood of orcs. Maybe the change the level on hard a little? I don't know how though
PorkSol

Post by PorkSol »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on? High Lord (Hard), 1.9.8, no save load
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 3. It's kind of hard to say. I did restart the map a few times to try different strategies to protect units a little more and I ended up getting some good luck on dodges on my final run. But I wasn't really in danger of losing, my other runs were just shaping up to be inefficient.
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?Clear, about average in terms of interest. Elves didn't seem all that likeable.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? The initial rush of units at night. Leveling units and protecting units with Exp.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 6. It is basic but there aren't a lot of negative aspects to it. Seems like a good introductory scenario.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? No changes.
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? Poor strategy led me to restart a few times to try and reduce the damage at night. I could have ended up restarting when I accidentally moved my druid onto open ground instead of forest, but I got some lucky dodges.
Attachments
High Lord (Hard), 1.9.8, no save load
(14.29 KiB) Downloaded 949 times
SBak

Post by SBak »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Easy
Content Feedback wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
First time round a 5, then when I figured out a better strategy it dropped to a 3. Thing is, after playing it a few times like all the elf first scenarios the difficulty varies somewhat due to the relationship between you and the AI.
Content Feedback wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Crystal clear, kill the enemy leader.
Content Feedback wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Pretty much standard..
Content Feedback wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
It's a toss up between separating the initial horde of orcs or keeping control of the central villages. Levelling units was also an issue until I figured that the best way is to keep moving and have an extra elf available when picking off orcs at nights or when they start sticking to villages.
Content Feedback wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
I'm quite new to Wesnoth but have some experience of elves and orcs. I imagine for someone green or just starting out it would be more challenging and engaging, but for me it's a case of trying to get a druid or an elvish hero whilst taking out some orcs and another orc leader.
Content Feedback wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I'd leave it as it is..
Content Feedback wrote:(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
I usually finish early, so no.
Kaiserdrache

Post by Kaiserdrache »

Medium

2-3, not too challenging.

Very clear. Kill the leader and be done with it ;)

Clear, but not interesting.

None.

I would have appreciated a single loyal unit at the beginning, just to have at least one, but that's (of course) not necessary.

Nope.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

No idea, sorry.
CeltiK

Post by CeltiK »

1.10.0; Hard no saves/reloads.

2. Just hold your ground during the night at the edge of the forest.

Crystal clear.

Fine.

None.

8. I like a good 1v1 fight on a small map.

It's good as it is.

None.

It's ok.
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Easy 1.10.2
100%
It was fun to hear about the "dung" because it's just a strange topic to bring up, yet it makes sense as a differentiation between the two races. Seeing a pile of it (at least i think that was it) next to their base made me lol.
None
It's perfect for a starting scenario, lots of trees to introduce the relationship between elves and forests.
No
Fate is against me.
jonaskoelker

Post by jonaskoelker »

(1) Difficulty: Normal (in Wesnoth 1.10, debian 1:1.10.2-1)
(2) Hardship: 2/10.
(3) Objectives: unmistakably clear.
(4) Dialog and storyline: fine.
(5) Biggest challenge: picking apart a clumpy wave of units while building up XP for my healer and not losing anything.
(6) Fun: 6/10
(7) Changes: none I can think of...
(8) Restarts: I did a little bit of savescumming for "luck management"
(9) WML: dunno
Attachments
(10.72 KiB) Downloaded 801 times
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Hard. 1.10.7

Clear

The writings fine.

None really. Its a standard orc vs elf setup, on a map that is at least 70% forests. The orcs have the numbers to kill a unit or two, but the terrain is so favorable, that it's an easy battle.

6. Its a rather straightforward scenario that doesn't really stand out, but its still somewhat fun just because the games core gameplay is fun.

Nothing comes to mind.

No
kiss

Post by kiss »

24 turns on a small map. Nothing special but an hint I'll follow and recruit 4 archers and 2 shamans.
Turn 1: Nice encouragement, riders are slow with 9 moves? And no grunt?
Turn 2: I do not like it and decided to restart. Following blindly that hint do not help at all! I have to think by myself.

Same map, but this time I'll recruit a mixed team to learn how to use each one. 4 different units and 6 slots: 3 of each on 2 turns.

Over on turn 14.

Fighter(beginner)1.10.7

Clear.

For now it is quite simple and interesting.

Not crying too much on lost units, but once again it's my fault not taking into account the day/night cycle! I think my initial team wasn't used the best way.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 6
Interesting to fight on a small map, it was the first time for me.

Nothing.

None. Ho, sorry, one restart.

I don't know.
Attachments
(12.29 KiB) Downloaded 910 times