Scenario 1: Defend the Forest

Feedback for the mainline campaign An Orcish Incursion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 1: Defend the Forest

Post by Content Feedback »

Give us feedback about the starting scenario of An Orcish Incursion by answering the following questions:

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Jozrael

Re: Scenario Review: AOI 1 - Defend the Forest

Post by Jozrael »

First thing I'd like to say about this campaign:

First unit I recruited was an archer named Eowyn.

You can't GET any better than that :D

Second thing: This campaign needs a 'general' discussion just like the others.

Third: The teams are 'goodies' and 'baddies'. <.<. Please fix this T_T haha.

On to the scenario:

Hard
Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Throughout this campaign, you need dialog that is after the initial turn. Taunts from the enemy, suggestions from your units, what would be even better is dynamic speech (first time a unit reaches < 25 hp) "I'm wounded!", something when a unit dies, w.e. Have fun with it >:D)
None really, just a pretty standard day/night push.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Its a good start. Perhaps enemy reinforcements as you bear down on the enemy leader?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Nope, only lost a fighter due to a string of hits at night :x.
(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
claudya

Post by claudya »

Just a word about that whole campaign:

even the "hard" difficulty level is way too easy. I never needed more than ten turns to finish any of its scenarios. In most cases it was done after seven turns. :annoyed:
So maybe re-lable "hard" into "normal", or increase the difficulty?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

High Lord (Challenging) 1.5.6

2. Orcs can cut down an elf pretty quickly if you move out of the forest, but there's never a need to leave.

Crystal.

A nice buildup before the scenario, and good dialogue between the elves. They speak as you would think, and it's well-written.

None.

3. Not a bad scenario, but the map is rather normal and the concept is simple. Certainly a good start to a campaign, but I cannot claim it is a great amount of fun.

Mixed up the map, maybe add in a bit of water for flavor. Possibly made it harder by giving more terrain that is advantageous to the orcs.

Nope.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Looks decent.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Keep in mind that this is still an introductory campaign. Even on hard it shouldn't be tooo challenging.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I am aware of that, but it still is not too hard at all. And there are two other difficulty settings...
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Teloss

Post by Teloss »

I agree with Turuk as far as changes made to the scenario goes (#7). The map is very plain and it wasn't until I went back and played it a second time that I realized that the elves' starting point is supposed to be their permanent home rather than just a camp. Perhaps add more castle tiles or do something to make the map look more lived in or something. I understand this may be hard to do because the elves supposedly have a unity with nature so farms and roads may not fit with them in the same way that they fit with human settlements.
Jequ

Post by Jequ »

Hardest.

Very easy as I lost only one fighter due to a unsuccessful slowing.

I understood them well. Kill the Orc and don't let your leader die. :|

Storyline was very clear but it wasn't very interesting. 'Bad guys' attacked the 'Good guys'. :?

None.

Hard to say because the reason of boringness might be the concept of the scenario. Someone might like it but I didn't. Currently I was rather basic fighting and I didn't need to use any special strategies to beat it. The game cycle was: retreat on night, attack at morning, archers on grunts & riders, fighters on archers, slow down the rest with shamans... blah blah.

Nope.

There was no commenting in the scenario but it contained only basic stuff. One think standed out though:

Code: Select all

turns="24"
    next_scenario="2_Assassins"
These two lines are at the end of the scenario file which isn't very logical to me. Best place for those would be after the map_data, in my opinion. I would also suggest to comment the macros. Example:

Code: Select all

# Starting gold of the side on hard, normal and easy difficulty.
        {GOLD 200 150 100}
...code...
# Place a rubble image on a randomly selected dirt terrain.
        {SCATTER_IMAGE (terrain=Re) 1 scenery/rubble.png}
Daedal

Post by Daedal »

Medium (V 1.6a)
Clear
It's clear and not bad otherwise. I agree with the other poster that mentioned some mid-scenario commentary would be nice.
Nothing specific to the scenario. :lol2: The map is very player-friendly.
7. It's a good way to start the campaign. It gets the player accustomed to playing the elves vs orcs game, sets up future campaigns, and leaves room for more interesting things later.
Nothing. It's the first scenario in the campaign! Gotta start off slow. On that point, I think the scenario and the campaign are well balanced. I'm playing through it now on the medium level. I'm new to BfW, but not to TBS games. Medium poses just enough of a challenge that I have to think about what I'm doing, but it still lets me beat each scenario handily. I can see somebody new to BfW and new to TBS having a hard time on the medium level and needing it taken down a notch. I could also see myself wanting to take it up a notch next time through and after playing through some expert scenarios I'd probably look back at this and think it's too easy no matter what I do. But really, it's a novice campaign. If you're hurting for a challenge I'm sure there are other campaigns better suited to that level of play.
Nope. No surprises here.
Joram

Post by Joram »

Hardest; 1.6.0

3- I lost 2 or 3 elves due to orc gang-ups at night, but didn't particularly care.

Clear

Pretty good. I liked the way that the elves talk.

I didn't feel like retreating at night, and a pair of Orcish grunts at night can take down any elf if they get a bit lucky.

8- Ah, sweet bliss. I just got through with TRoW, and it is a huge relief to come to a simple, easy scenario where you get to use lvl 1s effectively again.

A bit of water might have made the map more pleasant to look at. I don't have any suggestions for actually improving the gameplay.

Excellent Question! Unfortunately, there were no events in this scenario. :)

Wow. Looking at the WML, I almost wish I'd lost this scenario; just so I could see the narration triggered. :lol2:

No complaints. Easy enough stuff to read.
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
axelotl

Post by axelotl »

High Lord (1.6.2)

Clear.

I didn't discover the Orcs' motivation for the incursion. OK - the Elves might not discover it in the first scenario, but I'm still in the dark after completing the campaign.

The phrase "For some years after Haldric's people landed, orcs remained scarce" suggests that perhaps the problem is that Orcs are now far from scarce and are demanding more lebensraum, but I don't remember seeing any elaboration of this theme. Did I miss something?

None.

3. It's fairly routine; the main challenge is to try to level some units.

A little more starting gold (perhaps 170), or some more income for the Orcs. We start with a L2 leader and the terrain is so favourable to the Elves that the Orcs need more help on "hard".

No.

The WML looks clear enough for this scenario.
Don't axe a little. Axe a lottle.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

I have played all difficulties. This particular time, High Lord (hardest). Ver. 1.7

4. Easy enough. The orcs just recruited a bunch of annoying Wolf Riders, capturing a little too many villages. :P

Clear. How complicated is killing an orc?

It was fun. Maybe some rougher talk from the orc?

Just killing those annoying little puppies.

6. It's a nice, simple scenario with no surprises.

It's great as is.

When the orc leader got *all three hits* on my druid in the forest, killing it. AI luck sucks (for us, of course).

Very clear.
ftl

Post by ftl »

Mythological wrote:Give us feedback about the starting scenario of An Orcish Incursion by answering the following questions:

1. Easy.
2. 1. Very easy. Superior mobility with riders, archers made it really easy to both kill enemies and avoid casualties.
3. Clear.
4. Clear.
5. None.
6. 5. It was just an introduction to Elves, for me, but it was nice to see what different elves can do.
7. I'd say "more of a challenge", but I guess if I wanted that I should've played on a harder difficulty level. (However, later levels were certainly challenging, so I'm happy I didn't - perhaps I'll go back and play on a harder difficulty once I've gone through the story once.)
8. No.
cph

Post by cph »

(1) High Lord (Challenging), 1.8.0
(2) 1
(3) clear
(4) Good.
(5) none
(6) 4
(7) Maybe I'll have an idea once I've played through, but it's fine for a simple 1st level.
(8) no
Kingslayer

Re: Scenario 1: Defend the Forest

Post by Kingslayer »

(1) High Lord (Challenging) 1.8.3
(2) 3, but I played the whole campaign with only the shaman and advancements.
(3) Very clear
(4) Seeing that it is a campaign to teach tactics, maybe some more tactical advice throughout the campaign.
(5) As I said earlier, I only used shamans, so I didn't have a reasonable attack force until I leveled on into a sorcerer.
(6) 4
(7) Good as it is
(8) Nope