Scenario 4: Return to the Village

Feedback for the mainline campaign A Tale of Two Brothers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Remellion

Re: Scenario 4: Return to the Village

Post by Remellion »

1. Played on Knight (Challenging), 1.12.5. (Also numerous times before on 1.5, 1.6 and 1.8.)

2. A difficulty of 3 maybe. Of course this is biased - I had 8 level 2s, 2 level 3s and the knowledge of where to go and what to do. For those new to this campaign or to Wesnoth, the fog and mysterious objective (what village?) would be the difficulties I imagine. Certainly not the impoverished orc (200 gold).

3. Objectives are not clear. Once the orc leader is found, killing him is obvious. But the initial one ("Find out what is happening in the village") is vague. The village in front of the starting keep? Or "just across those hills" (Arvith's initial dialogue) which to me suggests the orcs' encampment rather than the loyalists. Maybe mention somewhere in the dialogue that the village is further north, or indicate it to the player through the fog.

4. Dialogue is not much, but sufficient to indicate the story. The initial dialogue and objective can be confusing (village? Men coming forward?) but the story is clear. Also the overall plot in the campaign is written pretty well stylistically, just that some parts seem weaker (motives of the elves, relationship between undead and orcs.)

5. Challenges: My play was quite silly. I almost let Arvith die getting surprised out of the fog on turn 3, and could maybe have lost fewer units by being careful. It sufficed anyway. If the orcs had more gold/income, or concentrated all their units on me, it may have been harder.

6. Funnishness is 6 for me. An actually slightly dangerous enemy and fog of war to make it harder, even if it is still ultimately a short scenario.

7. Improvements for me would concern clarifying the objective, and making it more likely to talk to Reeve before the scenario ends. Send a messenger from Reeve (Bowman? Calvalryman?) down to the player at the start, or in the first few turns. As it is, it's possible for the player to go over the hills and slay the orc without ever seeing the village with Reeve dying quietly behind the fog.
Attachments
HdDF-Retour_au_village_revoir_la_partie.gz
(29.4 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

1. Played on Knight (Challenging) with 234 gold, 1.12.5. (Also once before on easy on 1.10)

2. Difficulty - 2. Unlike the previous scenarios, in this one you can proceed cautiously and still have plenty of time left over. Also had all my loyals except one, and most of them were leveled.

3. Objectives - They seemed clear enough when I played, but I can see the concern mentioned in the previous review.

4. Dialogue - Got the job done again.

5. Challenges: None really, other than making sure I didn't get careless.

6. Fun - 7

7. Improvements - For the Challenging difficulty level, either more gold for the orcs, less time, or both of those. As a starting point, I'd suggest If Orc gold is unchanged, a time limit of 16 turns would work better.

Additional thoughts:
It is a novice campaign, and should be one of the first few player try (on easy), but I'd recommend playing both AOI and TSG before this one, due to the first scenario. I replayed on challenging it to see how I've improved at the game. As such, I'd say being able to beat the campaign with only minimal or deliberate losses in each scenario (as I did) is appropriate for a novice campaign on challenging.
Attachments
AToTB-Return_to_the_Village_replay.gz
(30.38 KiB) Downloaded 883 times
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1.12.5., Challenging.

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
3.5. I think it's the easiest one considering that by now I had a few knights and just a few of their hits are enough to bring the orc leader down.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
I understood the gist of it but the phrasing is a bit vague.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Alright.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Orcs popping out of the fog gave me a bit of a scare but nothing aside from that.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
6. A nice, simple scenario.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Reduce time limit a bit.

Strategy: Recall everything useful. Most of the army heads north, a few aproaching the hills. I got Arvith pretty battered as he was the one closest to the hills and the enemies jumped out of the fog to attack. Most of the fighting occurs there. On the 6th turn, knights get close to the leader and most of the fighting had been resolved. In the end, two loyal knights give their lives attacking the leader and then an outlaw finishes him off.

Stats: 247 start gold, 7/24 turn, -2 end gold, 6/15 villages, 10 units, 7 income, 0 recruits, 12 recalls, 3 advancements (footpad -> outlaw, loyal swordsman -> royal guard, loyal spearman -> swordsman), 4 losses (footpad, 2 loyal knights and 1 regular one), 11 kills, -2% dmg dealt, -6% dmg received

Epilogue is nice too.
Whole campaign::
Attachments
AToTB-Return_to_the_Village_replay.gz
(25.36 KiB) Downloaded 825 times
Kylix

Post by Kylix »

I think this campaign should be extended. 4 scenarios are too few.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I agree, in a way, however i believe this campaign being so short, is the point. For beginners or not full time wesnoth players, having something enjoyable while not too time consuming is very beneficial. In fact i believe this is the ideal first campaign (rather than HttT) because it gives a good picture of what wesnoth is without taking too much time.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Hard, 1.14.0
Very.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
It was interesting and clear.
Winning without losing units by bad placements.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Make it a condition to have Reeve Hoban survive and give him about 15 more gold while changing the map in a way that some of the orcs will be between me and him. (Rush through to save him.)
Add a dialogue between the orcish warlord and Baran when Baran attacks him.

Stats: 227 start gold, 10/24 turn, 25 end gold, 6/15 villages, 15 units, 8 income, 0 recruits, 13 recalls, 2 advancements (2xspearman -> swordsman, loyal), 0 losses, 9 kills, -9% dmg dealt, -5% dmg received
Attachments
AToTB-Return to the Village replay.gz
(23.18 KiB) Downloaded 705 times
RayHayes

Post by RayHayes »

I played "Come back to the Village" in January 2008.

(1) Easy "Horseman", Wesnoth 1.2.0

(2) Scenario trouble: 4 (simple)

(3) I overlooked the target "Discover what is going on in the town", since it appeared glaringly evident that orcs were assaulting. I assaulted the orcs, not knowing whether that was my objective.
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- Easy, 1.14.5

- Simple, find out what's wrong and save the village.

- Improved from older versions, where there's little to no dialogue nor the fact that Tairach is just randomly thrown in. In newer versions, however, it's a good point that Baran had some kind of hostile affair with Tairach and that he's given something to say, revealing his motives.

- Making sure that my ally (Reeve Hoban) had some income to provide support, because he'd mostly roam outside the keep.

- I'd go with Reeve's AI being cleverer, that's all
mxb2001

Post by mxb2001 »

Content Feedback wrote: March 10th, 2006, 11:53 pm (1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Beginner and 1.12 (debian doesn't recommned 1.14 yet as stable)

Pretty vague, no clue given that you should head north and link up with the reeve.

OK, not as fine as South Guard, and a few rather too modern words used.

Well getting defeated on the first try as I didn't know I had allies. When my forces headed north initially to gather villages/explore the sudden and very early arrival of orcs on my right flank caused me to shift entirely towards a eastwards thrust which turned into a fiasco as the orcs had the hills and forest terrain and my cavalry couldn't even pass the mtns (which dumbly I only realized when it was too late). I did manage to salvage the second try at the scen with rather awful losses amongst the horse (due to the mtn fiasco), but since it was the last scen I knew it didn't matter.

A slight hint that you should press north would make it less irritating with the allies.
01/01/01
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

1.14.7 on Knight/Challenging.
4. I blew through the enemy pretty easily, with several Knights on my side by this point. Being the last scenario, I was ready to accept losing some good units, but I only lost some experienced level ones, none of my levelled units.
Quite clear. I was expecting you'd have to find Reeve by moving into one of the villages, but that's a minor point.
Pretty good. There wasn't too much suspense or mystery created at the start. The dialogue around the orc warlord was nice, referencing past events that happened outside of a campaign really gives a sense that the world has existed before the player opened the game. There was good payoff of the dynamic between the brothers.

Arvith working for Kalenz is a nice touch. Do we ever see that elsewhere?
Poison.
6. It's a little too easy, but the storytelling around it is solid, and I always enjoy heading into the fog to discover unknown foes.
I'd probably give the orc a few more units to add to the challenge, and maybe swap some of Reeve's units out for peasants in his recruit order to give the impression of a desperate defence.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
supperman

Post by supperman »

Content Feedback wrote: March 10th, 2006, 11:53 pm (1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Challenging 1.12.5

6. This is actually the easiest scenario in the campaign. I finished on turn 10.

Obvious.

Good as is.

The second night was hardest, because fresh orcs keep coming straight from the camp, but never underestimate outlaws on mountains.
I also had two swordsmen so I could switch them in and out according to TOD. The allies also distracted a good number of orcs early on, and Baran and a knight helped slaying them.

No idea and I gave it a 10 already. :lol:
IceTyp

Post by IceTyp »

Knight (Challenging), 1.15.5
clear
clear
I had no major challenges in this scenario.
5, Finally, we have a Mage. So we can deal appropriately with undead units. But there are no undead units in this scenario. :|
I needed only 11 of 24 turns to beat this scenario. So it could definitely be more difficult.
Attachments
AToTB-Return to the Village replay 20201004-180210.gz
(24.49 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.6, Knight (Challenging)

4, since you don't have to save your allied leader.

Clear.

It nicely ties in the backstory with the current story.

None.

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Campaign stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
AToTB-Return to the Village replay 20201101-111637.gz
(22.21 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

1. Wesnoth 1.15.7 Challenging
2. 6
3. crystal
4. Noice
5. When I started out the scenario the first time ever, it was fun because I didn't know what to expect. Having played the same campaign multiple times, made me rather...prepare in advance...for anything the AI enemy had in store for me. Thus, it was no challenge at all.
6. 6
7. No comments.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Apparos_Vaklas

Post by Apparos_Vaklas »

Knight (Challenging), Version 1.14.16

Pretty clear.

Pretty clear.

-

Fun scenario

I can't think of anything.