Scenario 4: Return to the Village

Feedback for the mainline campaign A Tale of Two Brothers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

podbelski

Re: Scenario 4: Return to the Village

Post by podbelski »

1.9.6, Hard, no reloads

I could have commented on every scenario of this campaign, but find it hard to add anything after Faello's posts :)

On this map, I've set Orcs starting gold to 300gp instead of 200, and it looked the same (see replay). I just rolled over the enemies for an easy win.
Maybe giving 400 or more gold will do the trick, I'm not sure. It might become tough enough but not fun anymore. Another thing I can think about is putting stationary experienced guards around orcs camp, maybe they will give player some resistance.
Attachments
AToTB-Return_to_the_Village_replay.gz
(25.79 KiB) Downloaded 930 times
PorkSol

Post by PorkSol »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Hard, 1.9.8, no save load
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
2. I pretty much just moved forward and overwhelmed the enemy and my guys weren't particularly high level.
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? - I didn't know what to do when it told me to investigate the village, but I just moved forward and it eventually counted as investigating, so it's probably not an issue.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? I thought that the dialog for this campaign overall was quite good considering there were only 4 scenarios to work with. This particular scenario could have used a couple more lines (perhaps when the brothers fight/kill the warlord), but overall no complaints.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? None.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 5. I found this campaign well done but the difficulty petered out on the last two scenarios, so it wasn't that engaging. But it is a novice campaign so the difficulty probably works well from that perspective. A third harder difficulty setting might be worth considering.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? Bonus dialog between the brothers and the warlord. More gold for the enemy. Only let the allied leader recruit peasants, woodsman and ruffians. Make the orc warlord more reluctant to rush into the mountains where he can be isolated from his keep.
Attachments
1.9.8, hard, no save load
(24.67 KiB) Downloaded 979 times
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

easy 1.10.2
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
No complaints
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Pretty good
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The only thing is getting my HIs over the mountains, they were just going so slow and clogging it up for everyone else.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
It wasn't THAT much of a problem, but maybe make a way for the HIs to get through.
Fate is against me.
jonaskoelker

Post by jonaskoelker »

(1) Easy, 1.10 (debian 1:1.10.2-1)
(2) Difficulty: not really. Going all in with the gold, switching units back and forth, leaning a bit on the ally and being willing to sacrifice a few units to kill the boss monster in the final scenario of the campaign made short work of that guy. So, uhm... a 2, I think.
(3) Objectives: crystal clear.
(4) Dialog: meh... nothing jarring, nothing spectacularly great either. Then again, I like the story in Quake ^_^
(5) Challenges: none, really. I was a bit skittish about plunging into the fog in case a leader got ambushed, but... nah.
(6) Fun: 8/10.
(7) Changes: dunno.
Attachments
(23.53 KiB) Downloaded 864 times
Crom

Post by Crom »

1) Hard, 1.10

2) Difficulty: 3 (I had a number of level 2 loyals that really shored up my army, so as long as I didn't do anything too stupid, I was good to go.)

3) Objectives: Pretty clear.

4) Dialogue: I've really liked the re-written dialogue ... there is definitely a lot more depth in this campaign now, without going over the top.

5) Challenge: Nothing in particular, though my experience was quite interesting. I sent out the main body of my troops north to investigate but sent my mounted troops along the southern part of the map, heading east to investigate what was over there. The orcs crossed the mountains to engage me, so most of the fighting happened in the center of the map, over the mountains and along the water (river/lake). I then had my foot troops cross the mountains and lay siege to the orcish leader while my mounted troops came up the east side of the map and crossed the river there. While I was doing this, I noticed a large quantity of badly wounded orcish troops returning from some engagement to the north. They were quite easy to pick off, and then I finished off the orcish warlord. (I'm conservative with my troops even on the last scenario of a campaign, so I did not attack him until I had favorable conditions.) This is of course ended the scenario in a win even though I never explored what was on the northern part of the map. I actually had to reload the battle from turn 1 and send some mounted troops up to the north to see what was up there - and discovered that in my previous game, the village militia had diverted most of the orcish troops and allowed me an easy victory, though I never made contact with them in my first game. Very interesting, but I don't think I would change it. It was quite realistic in terms of war, and I like that the scenario did not arbitrarily end as a loss just because I let the village get wiped out.

6) 6/10 (Nothing outstanding about it, but it's just a good, solid scenario and I actually loved the fact that I essentially let the village get wiped out just because I didn't know there were still defenders.)

7) No complaints.
golemsci

Post by golemsci »

1) Hard, version 1.10

2) Difficulty 3/10 - the easiest scenario in this campaign.

3) The first time, I went directly towards the enemy camp from the start, assuming that was the way to 'investigate' what was up in the village. I reloaded and played again moving only a couple of units east and going through the proper storyline by visiting the village first.

4) I really liked the story. Everything tied together nicely, the dialogue was good.

5) Nothing too tricky, just about got through the northern battle without big losses.

6) Fun 9/10 - I really liked this scenario.

7) Nothing to add.

Generally, I really enjoyed this campaign. The story was interesting and the brothers' relationship good. Not to be too emotional or anything, but it's nice to see a positive tale of reconciliation and loyalty.
Gerion

Post by Gerion »

1.10.2, normal

5. Not very hard

clear enough. Find out what happened, then kill the baddie

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear, but a bit odd. I never quite got it... were the undead and the orcs allies? Orcs were guarding the necromancers castle, but his dying words said it didn't matter who killed him, either he or the orc chief, which again implies, that the orcs were enemies of the undead. (the same problem was with the elves)
When they were in the same region just because of coincidence, this would be a heck of a lot coincidences... the peaceful village gets attacked by undead AND orcs at the same time AND the orc just happens to be the warlord that was the cause of the problems between the two brothers? Seems a little too constructed

None

5. Should be more challenging

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
A little more challenge and another start point. A little odd returning from the north and arriving in the south...maybe just flipping the map upside down?

All in all the campaign is short, straight to the point and with no surprises. Unfortunately no surprises also means no positive surprises and so the campaign is quite standard from beginning to the end. Main problem are the two inconsistencies in the dialogue (Elves: tricked by the undead or allies of the undead? Undead: Enemies of the Orcs or allies of the Orcs?) and the sheer mass of coincidences, Main plus points are the solid storyline without major plot holes and the guard-password-scenario, which shows that progress is possible without blindly killing everything that moves.

Oddly enough, all in all the hardest scenario in the whole campaign is the first scenario... shouldn't it be the last one?
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Gerion wrote:All in all the campaign is short, straight to the point and with no surprises. Unfortunately no surprises also means no positive surprises and so the campaign is quite standard from beginning to the end. Main problem are the two inconsistencies in the dialogue (Elves: tricked by the undead or allies of the undead? Undead: Enemies of the Orcs or allies of the Orcs?) and the sheer mass of coincidences, Main plus points are the solid storyline without major plot holes and the guard-password-scenario, which shows that progress is possible without blindly killing everything that moves.
Not all orcs belong together as one tribe. There are many possible tribes and of course there is no forced coordination. Being close to the border the village is somehow in danger of marauders and with a lot less protection...

Regarding the elves: Why are you so sure that elves are so much "pro alive humans"? Humans tend to destroy forests to replace them with stone. And some elves might also be greedy for power.
Seldam

Post by Seldam »

easy, 1.10.5;

It's okay.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialogue and storyline of the scenario?

---

No idea.
Attachments
DGzB-Rückkehr_ins_Dorf_Seldam.gz
The replay.
(32.88 KiB) Downloaded 841 times
D-Wade

Post by D-Wade »

(1) Hard 1.10.5
(2) 4, with the "loads" of upgraded units it was quite simple
(3) okay, but the first objective is maybe a little vague
(4) 6, meeting their old nemesis was a good idea
(5) mashing the orcs ;)
(6) 5, it was very short
(7) -
DOA-Paperwork

Post by DOA-Paperwork »

Hard
Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.7

6. It was a little tense on the hills outside the Orc fort with my main characters taking damage. But I got a Paladin out of the main champion at the start of the mission. Helped quite a lot.

Clear.

Good. I felt bad for the lord up north he nearly died every other turn!

Poison. Ending up surrounded by the orcs coming out of the fog. Felt fair, if hard.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make?
This one so far has been one of my favorite scenarios. The dialog is fresh and really helps show the brothers as bonded and scarred. Good writing and satisfying epilogue.
Herode

Post by Herode »

1.10.7, easy level

I didn't understand immediately that the village was east of the starting position, so I lost some time heading North.

Clear, good overall quality

I tried to win as fast as possible

-
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

Challenging 1.10.7

The initial objective was vague but I had no trouble figuring out what to do.

Like the rest of the campaign, the setup wasn't particularly original or interesting, but the writing overall was good, and made something that would otherwise be horribly bland, decently interesting.

The orcs recruited level 2 units heavily. They could have potentially been a real threat if they didn't come after me in a fairly piecemeal fashion, but as it was, I was able to easily overwhelm groups of two or 3 units.

5. A fairly straightforward, unmemorable battle, but at least unlike the previous two scenarios, the enemy poses a threat even if a fairly small one throughout the entire scenario, instead of just 3 or 4 turns at the start.

There's potential for a good fight here, but the orcs are a little too weak. They either need to recruit more units, or group their existing units together better (instead of sending some north, and others west through the mountains) as right now there just isn't a large enough concentration of forces to pose any real danger.
JMichael

Post by JMichael »

Wesnoth 1.12.2
Find out what is happening in the village
While I'm here I want to say that this is NOT my idea of a clear objective: I thought I was being led by the nose, so I moved Baran to the only village near the starting camp (the burnt out villages not identifying themselves as even burnt out villages), expecting to find Hoban inside. When that didn't work, I tried moving Arvith to the village. Several reloads later, I worked my way north to the castle. It was empty, and the adjacent villages weren't even flagged.

My biggest complaint is talking about "the village", as if I'm supposed to know what and where it is. If anything, the dialog indicates that the village is where Tairach is camped ("The village is just across those hills"). Was "Find out what is happening in the village" NOT meant to lead me to Hoban?
nikita1996

Post by nikita1996 »

1) Difficulty:Knight (challenging) v1.12.4
2) 1. Not difficult at all! I had 6 lv 2 units at the beginning, so it's too easy. Even an AI can win it!
3) Very clear.
4) Just so-so. I love the good end and admire the villagers' peaceful life gained with their bravery and blood.
5) No challenge at all.
6) 3. Not very fun. There's no difference with a usual 1v1 game online.
7) First, give the enemy more money in order to make it difficult enough. Secondly, you can allow the players to tell the green AI what to do.
Attachments
(26.53 KiB) Downloaded 871 times