Halo Bugs

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
tvynr

Halo Bugs

Post by tvynr »

I've just tried to create a new unit ("golden gryphon") and added a halo outlining its body. Obviously, the gryphon is not symmetrical. Also, this unit has a simple ability we added: daystalk (guess what that does). The following problems occurred:

1) When the player who owns the golden gryphon gets a turn during the day, the halo's opacity remains unaffected, causing it to distort the original image.
2) Other players can see the gryphon's halo even when it is invisible due to daystalk!
3) When the golden gryphon moves to the left (flipping the gryphon's image around), the halo does not flip, causing it to look kinda stupid.

I assume everyone agrees this is a bug?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Halo Bugs

Post by zookeeper »

tvynr wrote:1) When the player who owns the golden gryphon gets a turn during the day, the halo's opacity remains unaffected, causing it to distort the original image.
I don't really understand what you're describing here. Why would/should the time of day change a halo's opacity? What do you mean with "causing it to distort the original image"?
tvynr wrote:2) Other players can see the gryphon's halo even when it is invisible due to daystalk!
Yep, a bug.
tvynr wrote:3) When the golden gryphon moves to the left (flipping the gryphon's image around), the halo does not flip, causing it to look kinda stupid.
I'd say this is a bug too. I don't see a reason why haloes shouldn't get flipped like the unit image does.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

tvynr wrote:I've just tried to create a new unit ("golden gryphon") and added a halo outlining its body. Obviously, the gryphon is not symmetrical.
If i understand what you are saying, all you need to do is make the "halo" part of the unit graphic instead of a separate file— unless you are trying to make the halo extend beyond the hex boundry.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
tvynr

Post by tvynr »

zookeeper wrote:
tvynr wrote:1) When the player who owns the golden gryphon gets a turn during the day, the halo's opacity remains unaffected, causing it to distort the original image.
I don't really understand what you're describing here. Why would/should the time of day change a halo's opacity? What do you mean with "causing it to distort the original image"?
This unit has an ability which renders it invisible during the day ("daystalk", similar to "nightstalk") unless it is adjacent to an enemy unit or has attacked since the beginning of its controller's last turn. When a unit is rendered invisible like that, its controller sees the unit at 50% opacity (or somesuch). All of this you already know.

Well, when I, as the controller of a Golden Gryphon, see it being invisible and rendered at 50% opacity, the halo is not rendered at 50% opacity; it is rendered the same as it was before. As a result, the halo (which in this case is a 10% opaque image) is being drawn over the 50% opaque Golden Gryphon (instead of the other case, in which the 10% halo is drawn over the 100% gryphon). I would expect that, if the gryphon were rendered at 50% opacity, the halo would be rendered at 50% of its opacity (coming to a grand total of 5%). Make sense? The gryphon has become half transparent, so the halo should too.
Eleazar wrote:If i understand what you are saying, all you need to do is make the "halo" part of the unit graphic instead of a separate file— unless you are trying to make the halo extend beyond the hex boundry.
Nope, not trying to do anything fancy like that. And yes... now that you mention it, I could just apply the halo and create an animation sequence for the stationary unit (I think). However, it would seem more appropriate to use the halo in this situation (as the halo itself represents a sort of glow from the gryphon and other stationary halos are used for units such as the Shyde in a similar manner).

I'll go report the bug; I just wanted to get some feedback first to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding the purpose of halos. :)