SLOW Performance Issues: post here to report

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
bottle4westnoth

Re: SLOW Performance Issues: post here to report

Post by bottle4westnoth »

Medusa117 wrote: June 28th, 2021, 6:54 pm I don't understand why the Game is so laggy i have Frametimes from normal to over 16000ms thats 16 seconds. And also the Game is not using anything from the Systems so i really hope the 64bit version in v1.16 will do heavy work or i dont know. Even with an mod that woud upgrade anything to 4k ( just a thinking) the game woud not run that bad. Also i know it it has also mutch to do with the Extension but cmon. I play this game now vor over a Dekade and never had a better pc than now but also such laggs. :/
From discord:
"there have been three separate attempts over the years to get hardware acceleration implemented, and all of them haven't gone anywhere. we know software rendering is slow, but nobody currently around and active has the time and knowledge to implement it."

rip Performance
Medusa117

Post by Medusa117 »

bottle4westnoth wrote: July 6th, 2021, 8:27 pm
Medusa117 wrote: June 28th, 2021, 6:54 pm I don't understand why the Game is so laggy i have Frametimes from normal to over 16000ms thats 16 seconds. And also the Game is not using anything from the Systems so i really hope the 64bit version in v1.16 will do heavy work or i dont know. Even with an mod that woud upgrade anything to 4k ( just a thinking) the game woud not run that bad. Also i know it it has also mutch to do with the Extension but cmon. I play this game now vor over a Dekade and never had a better pc than now but also such laggs. :/
From discord:
"there have been three separate attempts over the years to get hardware acceleration implemented, and all of them haven't gone anywhere. we know software rendering is slow, but nobody currently around and active has the time and knowledge to implement it."

rip Performance
Yeah, as i said i really hope the x64bit in 1.16 will do some work.
Hier könnte Ihre Werbung stehen.
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Hello everyone...
I have a performance problem with 1.16 (flatpak) running on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
Even when idle, Wesnoth uses a lot of processor time, which is not a real issue on my box (I7 12 cores), but makes the fan noisy.
When saying idle, I mean for instance being waiting for user interaction on turn 1 of HttT beginning (no mod, no trick).
Turning off animations (units, terrain) does nothing and I have limit FPS on.
I had the issue with 1.12 but it was solved running it in terminal with the magic option:

Code: Select all

export OMP_WAIT_POLICY="passive"
Unfortunately, the same does nothing on 1.16
Any idea ?
Thanks in advance...
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

OMP (OpenMP) support was removed entirely, so that's why setting that environment variable does nothing. One thing you could try is using the Steam version and seeing if you get the same problem - if not, the issue is likely related to Flatpak somehow.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

OK, thanks for your reply...
is_this_allowed

Post by is_this_allowed »

Problem details; Unit movement animations are not smooth and are played back jerkily but only in certain situations. Often the game freezes and the system asks if you want to wait or if you want to terminate Wesnoth. Most of the time after choosing to wait the game performance returns to normal but I still don't understand why these drastic drops in frame and performance occur.

Setup:
- OS: Linux fedora 5.18.17-200.fc36.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC
- Hardware: AMD A4 5300 APU + Kingston 240 GB SSD + 8GB DDR3 RAM
- installed from official Fedora remote (flatpak), version 1.16.1
Performance metrics top shows that Wesnoth (while freezing) takes up 18% of CPU time and about 8% of memory.

Since I'm not familiar with Flatpak debugging and I've not found any debug version I can't provide additional information.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Does this happen with the Flathub or Steam versions?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

is_this_allowed wrote: August 22nd, 2022, 10:03 am Problem details; Unit movement animations are not smooth and are played back jerkily but only in certain situations. Often the game freezes and the system asks if you want to wait or if you want to terminate Wesnoth. Most of the time after choosing to wait the game performance returns to normal but I still don't understand why these drastic drops in frame and performance occur.

Setup:
- OS: Linux fedora 5.18.17-200.fc36.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC
- Hardware: AMD A4 5300 APU + Kingston 240 GB SSD + 8GB DDR3 RAM
- installed from official Fedora remote (flatpak), version 1.16.1
Performance metrics top shows that Wesnoth (while freezing) takes up 18% of CPU time and about 8% of memory.

Since I'm not familiar with Flatpak debugging and I've not found any debug version I can't provide additional information.
Regarding only jerky animations
To be honest i have observed such a phenomenon for some time, but in my case it is only in events that happen right after a scenario has loaded. For instance, in the start of Liberty S4 Unlawful Orders, there is an animation of a boat going to a dock. The animation is jerky and choppy as the boat moves towards the dock.

I feel like the maybe game needs to give more time for certain things to load or get settled before showing a scenario, so that the first animation that immediately plays won't be jerky like this.

If you really want to see what I mean just have a look at Liberty S4 Unlawful Orders.
JulietLisbon

Post by JulietLisbon »

The team here needs to be more prompt in responding to the issues raised, anybody else who agrees?
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

JulietLisbon wrote: March 11th, 2023, 1:11 pm The team here needs to be more prompt in responding to the issues raised, anybody else who agrees?
I'm sure they do the best they can. They're all volunteers doing this in their spare time...
westnorth

Post by westnorth »

Atreides wrote: March 12th, 2023, 3:32 am
JulietLisbon wrote: March 11th, 2023, 1:11 pm The team here needs to be more prompt in responding to the issues raised, anybody else who agrees?
I'm sure they do the best they can. They're all volunteers doing this in their spare time...
I found this thread because I was searching for a solution to my screen lagging when I scroll the map. I created an account here to give a thumbs up to Atreides.
DwarvenWarrior

Clustered units cause game spikes during ai turn

Post by DwarvenWarrior »

When units are clustered during ai turn, animation pause, cpu usage is very high, and wesnoth spikes and not responding. I should be reading prev posts in case it is known issue.