solving performance Problence on Windows? (slow)

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
UngeheuerLich

solving performance Problence on Windows? (slow)

Post by UngeheuerLich »

Hi, I often read that Windows has Performance Problems... (vey slow animation)

i wouldn´t call it that way... i would just say the default speed for windows is too low... if you click speed increase, speed is very fast, even too fast sometimes...

now my question: how does increase speed work? just faster drawing of sprites or skipping everysecond?

if the sprites are just drawn faster, can´t you just make a more dynamic speed increase, maybe a bar like the one you set time with in multiplayer?

so everyone can set his speed as he likes, and make enough different positions that windows players can set a ood slow speed and a good average and fast speed...

if you just skip sprites it maybe a more complicated, because mayebe performance on mediocre speeds would be reduced...
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

It's true, much of the percieved slow down has nothing to do with performance issues. It's just that animations are getting more frames and take a longer time to display. The general movement speed was also reduced post 1.0.x. Additionally there are real performance problems like slow AI and saving, some of those are already fixed, more will hopefully vanish soon.
Adding a slider to modify the speed was discussed rather often already. So far nobody did provide the code.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
UngeheuerLich

Post by UngeheuerLich »

yes, i just played cuttbs sun camapign and here i also noticed real problems (slow AI)

but nevertheless, a bar to adjust speed in fine degrees could help :)
bioman

Speed-bar

Post by bioman »

Wouldn't it cause lots more errors on the multiplayer if all the players have the game at different speeds?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Speed-bar

Post by zookeeper »

bioman wrote:Wouldn't it cause lots more errors on the multiplayer if all the players have the game at different speeds?
No. The client can display animations at whatever speed it wishes to, and no one else would ever know. There's no reason whatsoever for the other clients to know anything about display settings of another client.
Motrax

Post by Motrax »

yup using 1.1.7 under win2k [AMD 1,2 GHZ 768 mb ram] and loading is extreamly slow no offence but playing a session of solitare and game not loading is bit ridiciolous...
t6he strange thing is that sometimes it gets loaded almost instantly but ussually not closing game and restarting wesnoth helps a little but not much...
Last edited by Motrax on July 1st, 2006, 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
zaimoni

Post by zaimoni »

It seems to be the format-checking of the savefiles that's increasing the load time. Which makes sense the *first* time [and deferring it to opening a savefile makes sense], but I have to wonder why rechecking is so frequently necessary. [Perhaps the same version mismatch that affected the server at one point?]

I've been exercising "Battle (not finished)" from the Noyga map pack, and even more interesting than the load time is its variability. The load time can be anywhere from 5-10 minutes for two turn 9 savefiles. [Win2000, 1GHz/512MB RAM].

I have my suspicions as to why the variability in time for verifying the exact same two savefiles, on a low-loading system running only Wesnoth 1.1.7. However, I haven't examined the source code carefully.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Is it possible to do some of the loading in the background while the player is navigating the menu? It doesn't seem like menu-navigation should require a lot of resources.
La_vie_en_Wose
Translator

Post by La_vie_en_Wose »

Motrax wrote:...
Are you the Motrax from the Jeff Vogel's Exile-Avernum series ?
If you really hate stupid people, get a girlfriend.
Motrax

Post by Motrax »

La_vie_en_Wose wrote:
Motrax wrote:...
Are you the Motrax from the Jeff Vogel's Exile-Avernum series ?
yes the idea for this nick came from there :D
and getting back to the topic - about the status loading bar - its pretty pointles to have it if it freezes with the rest of the gamescreen (using windowed mode)
flava_clown

Post by flava_clown »

someone wrote somewhere something about a memory leak...
i think there is really something wrong with the mem usage
Attachments
wow_what_a_ram_usage_.jpg
wow_what_a_ram_usage_.jpg (70.91 KiB) Viewed 3946 times
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

That amount looks rather reasonable actually as Wesnoth is caching lots of stuff. Like unit images (think animations) or the map which take up a lot of memory. Team coloring didn't help in this regard either. Along with general performance, memory usage is something to look at for 1.3.x so let's hope we'll find coders to do it.

zaimoni

Post by zaimoni »

While I would like to know the scenario being loaded, and the history behind that, the posted picture is not reasonable in most cases.

Noyga Map Pack's Battle RPG only gets up to around 40MB of RAM on my system after initial loading (in 1.1.7 proper), at the first player turn. [It has a lot of CPU-controlled units on the first two of eight sides.] I wasn't watching carefully later on, but usually I would quit and restart (because of excessive delays loading save files) when the RAM usage got up to 80MB. The restart reloaded much closer to 40MB than 80MB.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

The problem is rather that some caches do only grow but never shrink. So if you play a campaign with rather different scenarios or you start to play a little in a few campaigns you'll have a rather huge memory usage.

zaimoni

Post by zaimoni »

torangon:

Oh. I've never done that playing style.