Hosting on Official Server

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
tvynr

Hosting on Official Server

Post by tvynr »

Synopsis: I'm having trouble hosting on the official server.

I can play LAN games just fine. If I host on the official server, however, the game does not appear in the list and, when I leave the game, I get dumped into an empty chat lobby. I have to disconnect and reconnect before I can see the actual game lobby again.

I have not forwarded any ports for the game as I have not been able to find anything that suggests that I have to do so for the official server. My version of Wesnoth is 1.12a.

Is there something obvious that I'm missing? Can I provide more information which may be helpful in diagnosing this problem?

Thanks muchly for your time in reading. Any help is, of course, appreciated. :)

Cheers!
tvynr

Post by tvynr »

bump? Battle for Wesnoth is, frankly, one of my most frequently played games... but it would be quite nice to be able to host official server games. I have two computers on this network (both Debian AMD64 Etch systems with virtually identical hardware) experiencing this problem. I can host a BfW game on my own wesnothd server but not on the official server.

I have also discovered that, if I create a game on the official server and leave it open for long enough, I get a dialog "Client disconnected" and get dumped back into the title screen. I then must wait to join the official server again (something about my name already being in use).

Anyone have any ideas? I'm completely lost.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Hmm, this is indeed very strange. If you get disconnected it is because you are idle for some time. However, i think it only happens if the server can't talk to you anymore and that suggests that the connection is not established. What i don't understand here is that you can connect to the server at all.

If your current user name is blocked because it has not been disconnected by the server yet, you can simply choose another name. They are not registered or anything.

To connect to the server, you need to open certain ports. I think it is 15000, 14999 or 14998 are also possible. It almost looks like you can talk to the server but the responses of it are not getting through. That would explain why you can't see other players and why you get disconnected after the timeout period.

Hope that helps.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
tvynr

Post by tvynr »

You mean I need to forward ports 14998-15000 to the appropriate machines to host a game on the official server?

Would my running a copy of wesnothd on that machine interfere with things at all, perhaps? My local client having trouble binding to the appropriate port or whatever?
tvynr

Post by tvynr »

Problem solved! I moved my local wesnothd to port 15001 and forwarded ports 14998-15000 (TCP) to the appropriate machine. All is shiny and good.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

nice :)
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!