Scenario 15: The Lost General

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 15: The Lost General

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Last edited by scott on March 29th, 2006, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

1) I played it on easy when i first played the game

2) it was a 5, i made lots of dwarves and the orcs were are problem but not the undead, my hammers led me to 2 steelclads and 1 dwarf lord

3) it was pretty easy except for when the earthquake comes your like what the heck then 3 turns later undead pour out

4) The dialog and story line were perfect

5) Trying not to sacrifice my weakened experienced units

6) The scenario on a scale is abut 7

7) gave the dwarf ally some more gold he only made 5 units wehen i arrived

8) at the start i had 700

9) above 30 but most were elves and horses and they suck in caves, but the dwarves and humans did well
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

Same as Raven, exept
1) easy V 0.9.7
7) Add the earthquake to be triggered by the death of the orcish leader. I waited for about 15 turns before the earthquake.
8 ) ~500
9) about 40 L2-s and 15-20 L3-s
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

medium 1.02

6 (lost 2 lvl 1 units)

clear

better than average

defintely the terrain slowing down my healers. I also liked that you must split your forces. I think the earthquake should happen about turn 10 or 15 (i triggered it on purpose anyway right away).

I like it, maybe make the UD have a wider path out so its more of a battle and less of a slaughter as I am much better at juggling units than the AI (I assume most people are).

666 (really)

14 lvl 3 and 6 lvl 2 not counting the 3 main heros.

Aside: I really managed to level the crap out of my forces. 2 fighters to steelclads, one fighter to a lord, and a white mage to mage of light.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

1=Easy
2=7
3=How did I know there would be Orcs in these tunnels? :wink:
4=a) Burlin: 'My uncle's family drowned after the orcs flooded that cavern...'(msg13_4)
Next unit that moves: 'Who goes there? Friend or foe?'(msg13_9a)
:)
b) why did they come here?
c) How does Lionel know where the Scepter is?
5=fighting Lionel's forces
6=1
7=Friendlier AI, especially one that doesn't get in the way so much.
8=816
9=13
Shakiko

Post by Shakiko »

1) 1.12a medium

2) to beat: 4 keeping your new dwarves alive: 8

3) very clear, even the Undead general was an unexpected twist
(esp. as I stumbled across the trigger to remove the Cavewall by myself)

4) It was okay - personally I dont like such "surprises" (esp. as they most likely kill you on the first play, but are no more on the second), but it adds a new twist, thus its good.

5) Getting a healer close enough to the front lines... Moving in caves really sucks ^^;

And the undead totally surprised (and overwhelmed) my scouting group (Kalenz, healer, 2 dwarves) walking to the south in the first try...

6) 3
Solely because of the AI fighting with the trolls messing me up .
They always only weakened the trolls (which is pretty ineffective due to their regen) blocking me from forming an effective formation...

7) Perhaps make a few more easily walkable spots so you can at least get a healer along with your party... (minor)
Make a bigger frontline with the trolls (major issue) - or improve the ai not blocing you in 70% of the time =/ (I guess a bigger frontline helps)
Add a few more Farms at the star of the map... I was at -1x gold/turn almost all time and the early finishing bonus (even I ended the level at turn 28) didnt help that much to recover from the loss.

8) 392

9)
W/O storyline chars: 26 (but 6 of those are merman)
mega

Post by mega »

(1) medium, 1.1.2
(2) 3
(3) very
(4) ok
(5) killing the first wave fast enough to keep Li'sar from committing suicide
(6) 5
(7) offering some challenge after the defeating the first wave

Sounds like you are talking about Hasty Alliance. I'll consider it as such. -mod
zol

Post by zol »

I liked this a lot.

Difficulty: 5.
It looked deadlier than it turned out, so I had to be careful, but things went my way :)
I was lucky in my initial recruitment. Apart from the heroes, 2 teams of red, white, rogue, and dwarvish fighter.

I wanted to view the replay later, but it was corrupt. I deleted it before thinking that it might be useful, though.
The corrupt replay showed dialogue from all the leaders at the start. I'm glad that this didn't occur during the game, but they never appeared at all during play even though the general's bit relates to the end dialogue.
No suggestions - It worked well enough even without context.

The allies are just right: 1) troll panic 2) allies appear 3) regroup 4) trolls attack, but you're ready.
Usual problems with allies of course. Mainly narrow passages - they always go the wrong way, and if you leave a space for them they won't use it :roll:
finite, infinite, definite
fyo

Post by fyo »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
medium, 1.1.11

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
7 the first time, 3 thereafter.

No problems there.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Quite good, although for some reason, I got the Lost General speach twice. Once when I first met him (probably the turn after the walls fell due to trigger). And then again when I invaded his cave.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Not getting smacked by 3 lvl2 trolls on the same turn.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Knowing which units to send in which direction is a HUGE advantage on this map, making replays very simple. I didn't lose a single unit on replay.

Also, the AI is buggy when it comes to handling single-hex-wide tunnels. For some reason, the AI would refuse to attack my Mage of Light and just move the next undead right up next to her. This meant that I could easily defeat all the undead with exactly three units. The MoL, an arch mage and a third unit (dwarven fighter, Delfador, Kalenz or anyone else with a few hit points and capable of a bit of damage in melee).
cph

Post by cph »

1) Medium; 1.2.4
2) 6
3) As clear as they are intended to be - you don't know where you are meant to be going, but that's the point.
4) Good
5) First time around you have no idea where the tunnels go, no idea what enemies you will face; I didn't recruit enough dwarves for comfort, and proceeded too cautiously, so I ended up being split up in the starting tunnels, where the trolls made short work of quite a few units.

Second time around, just fighting the trolls with almost only level 1 dwarven units is tricky. The thunderers single attack creates some large randomness in how the fights unfold. Also, having identified orcs as the main opponent, I had only recalled 2 mages, so the undead at the end were tricky.

Finally, crossing the lake to get to the general is tricky, especially when the last revenant surprise hits and you have only a few units that have finished their swim.

6) 7 - it is an interesting new setting, new troops to play with, and the music is great.
7) -
8 ) start gold ~900
leonhunt

Post by leonhunt »

Hello everyone.

Isn't it weird that this map is supposed to be the dwarves' eastern tunnels, but the map is entered from the right?

Just a continuity eyesore to me.
Leon Hunt
nightcrawler

Post by nightcrawler »

leonhunt wrote:Hello everyone.

Isn't it weird that this map is supposed to be the dwarves' eastern tunnels, but the map is entered from the right?

Just a continuity eyesore to me.
Sure, we could easily flip the map... but consider this: the general locale in which the scenario takes place is something of a retcon itself in that the story describing it was added later. The map hasn't changed much since the early days (it was embellished a bit, but nothing was drastically changed). Since you're complaining about continuity, why not continue to retcon an explanation for this apparent contradiction? You'll get a no-prize for it!
"Then I'd prefer you refer to it as 'The Midlands'"

If I'm supposed to fight creeping biggerism, then why is it a game feature?
governor

Post by governor »

(1) v1.3.4 medium
(2) 1 (Recruited for 3 turns, sent two white mages and 6 dwarvish fighters south to trigger earthquake asap. The rest was magic and dwarves to send north-west. Including Konrad, Delfador, and a red mage, elvish enchanteress). Note: first time I ever played this scenario I didn't know what to expect. So triggering the earthquake was an instant loss.
(3) Too many plays of this scenario to add anything.
(4) Clear.
(5) The odd time a magic user misses a (10+)-4 attack 4 times.
(6) 2
(7) Remove the allied dwarf.
(8) Started with ~1250 gold, finished with ~1300 gold. (Finished 20 turns early). 80% hurts when you have more than 1500 gold at eot.
(9) Battle party consists of 9 l3 and 14 l2. Not including the main 3.

Also, the recent post about lack of continuity due to map direction is moot. The caves are in the east (general direction), the instantaneous direction of travel does not matter since an eastwardly path may go westward for a time before continuing eastward.
LezzerLord

Post by LezzerLord »

1.1.3.5 easy
2.7 Delfador INSISTED on dying all the time.
3.Very good
4.Very good, like dialogue when meet undead.
5.Keep Delfador alive...
6.2 Not fun with all save/reload...
7.Keep the trolls money down! The cathedral thing was filled with lvl.2 trolls when i arrived after killing Lionel.
SumnerH

Re: Scenario Review: The Lost General

Post by SumnerH »

I'm filling these out having done Elves Beseiged-A Choice Must Be Made on "medium" difficulty, and I'm following the advice to rank 10=hardest scenario in the campaign (Seige of Elsenfar), 1 = easiest (Elves Besieged)

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Medium, Wesnoth version 1.4
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) [1]
Not very, but I was tired when I started it.
I liked the story of the lost general once you got there.
(5) What were your major challenges in completing the scenario?
Learning new troops (dwarves), crossing the water to take out the general (I didn't realize there was another way in), using the water to defeat his forces before getting in it yourself.
7. Pretty fun, especially since you have new troops to make use of. All your vets stay at home for the underground journey.
Don't have Kalenz show up in the underground missions. Maybe more of a hint about the back entrance to the Lost General, dunno.