Scenario 11: Ford of Abez

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

BubbleScreen

Re: Scenario Review: Ford of Abez

Post by BubbleScreen »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.6

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario?
4 - looks tough, but the Orcs fight poorly in the water and the monsters arrive too late to do very much.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Not terribly- spell out exactly what you mean about reaching the northern bank of the river.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Not great dialog, but running into Li'Sar again was good fun.

Explain why a terribly powerful magical weapon is just sitting in the river (on the bottom of the river?).

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Preserving my force of Mermen (though as it turns out, we don't really ever need them again). Baiting the Orcs into the water.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is?
6. Would have been more if I could have figured out how to get Li'Sar's troops to take on the monsters. Novel idea in any case.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Make Li'Sar closer (and more likely to give chase) and the northern Orcs better. Maybe Bugg the Sea Orc's cousin for more Sea Orc comedy.
roman_sharp

Post by roman_sharp »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Normal, 1.8.3

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

6, normal difficulty

Somewhat unclear: until the end I remained puzzled about how much land should Konrad pass on the other side of the river, should he only come to land, or should run to the map border.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Good.

Kill the level 2 orcs befor the monsters catch up.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

None. It's pretty good, I think.
bobby

Post by bobby »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Normal, 1.8

2. Easiest in the campaign for me.

Yeah, I too was not sure which part of the north shore Konrad needs to reach, but he got on the grass in the least number of turns possible.

Good.

None. Wait in the river for orcs then swarm them with mermens. Hardly any thinking required. Monsters didn't reach me. Konrad just ran across, only fought the Orcish crossbowmen on the sand.

More variety of monsters, and closer so mermens actually have to fight them.
Pagan_Avatar

Re: Scenario 11: Ford of Abez

Post by Pagan_Avatar »

medium, 1.8.5

not precisely clear, but it's ok

average

if only reach the objective, none. unless try to finish princess's army

If possible, let the army of the princess can be totally defeated as a real challenge.
Red_Herring

Post by Red_Herring »

1) Easy, Medium, and Hard in 1.8.5
2) Easy: 2 Medium: 3 Hard: 5 (I was, still am, not a big fan of merman)
3) Easy to Understand - just simple matter of rear-guarding and withdrawing.
4) Easy to understand; a person should consider oneself fool if he/she did not understand the dialogue.
The dialogue itself was somewhat mediocre.
5) The speed disparity between merman units and others.
6) From the beginning, it was hard not to realize the relatively short length of the scenario.
So, I would say it was okay.
7) I would like to suggest two fording points; one is short but brutal and the other is long and somewhat lagging.
Giving some nasty ambushes from Orcs/Li'sar's detachment of mounted unit at the opposite bank would be nice.
Orcus_Christ

Post by Orcus_Christ »

Content Feedback wrote: (1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(1) Medium. Version 1.8
(2) 4. Sacrifice a few mermen to cross the river. Easy enough.
(3) Clear enough.
(4) I don't know why Konrad is surprised to see Li'Sar again. They let her escape (for no reason...) and told her that they're going to kill her mother.
(5) None.
(6) 6. Sea monsters attacking my enemies is fun.
(7) Change the dialog.
Ferox

Post by Ferox »

Easy. 1.9.1
Crystal
Crystal but not necessarily interesting.
Getting past the loyals on the bottom left. I lost about five level 2s and one level 3. I really hated the cuttlefish although the sea dragon was fine.
Remove the cuttlefish and lower the loyalist's (bottom left) amount of gold.
Cakes

Post by Cakes »

Easy, Medium (iPhone)

Get Konrad across the river. Fairly straightforward.

It seemed pretty boring, so I went after the Princess and her Royal Guards.

Difficulty was in aggroing the Royal Guards one at a time while dealing with the new recruits the Princess summons each turn. Hardest part was rotating front line units with backup tankers while keeping my flanks covered. Also REALLY not wanting to initiate attacks against the Royal Guard made life harder.

high/low tides affecting movement and merman/sea monster stats.
ShenAnCalhar

Post by ShenAnCalhar »

1.4 and 1.6, easy; 1.8.5, medium
Before I realized that mermen would be ideal (I recalled a lot of my mounted units), 7-8. That was on easy...Medium, maybe a 4? I had a hoplite storm trident and a mermaid priestess.
Clear enough now; first time I played it...not so much. It should be clearer that he has to get onto the grass to win.
clear, but somewhat boring. Also, what are sea monsters doing in the Abez River?
There weren't any. I lost a couple of mermen, but no big deal. I kept most of my loyal ones.
somewhere between 4 and 5.
I like Cakes' suggestion about tides. Maybe make the sea monsters come from both sides, because the Water Serpent ended up getting killed by Li'sar's units (mostly ogres), and two Cuttlefish delayed the others for long enough. That left four cuttlefish for my merfolk to eliminate, and like the Orcs, a couple of Storm Tridents destroyed them.
blurrr2

Post by blurrr2 »

1) I have played the scenario on 1.8.5 easy
2) I found the scenario challenging, but fun. My merman that snagged the trident barely got away (I sacrificed on of his comrades to the sea monsters to slow down their pursuit).
3) clear
4) They were fine. I realize the sea monsters added a crucial strategy component to the scenario, but they could be explained better. "The queen has made an alliance with the necromancers to raise these fiends and send them against us!"
5) I deployed land forces to hold back the enemy. Pointless and I only got my loyal avenger killed. :doh:
6) 6-7
7) fun, a little tedious. I opened the autosave of the last turn, moved Conrad on the grass, hit end turn, then three ogres killed Delfador. Re-started the scenario

Post by 224466 »

if I have a bunch of lvl 3 units should I just try to weaken the princess' forces and then cross, or just cross on the 1st or second turn :?:
Kymille

Post by Kymille »

224466 wrote:if I have a bunch of lvl 3 units should I just try to weaken the princess' forces and then cross, or just cross on the 1st or second turn :?:
Personally, I think you should just cross.

(Edit: Please delete if this is considered off-topic.)
GagarinGambit

Post by GagarinGambit »

Hard, 1.8.4

3, easy

It's not 100% clear how far north Konrad needs to go.

It's clear and interesting, at least compared to the previous few scenarios; the background story is a nice touch, and Lisar's dialogue is a little improved since the last encounter with her.

None, it's pretty simple: let the orcs step in the water and slaughter them, while keeping a zoc to hold back Lisar's troops and the monsters, if needed.

A few good ideas have been posted, I need not add more.
Linux. Space technology.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.9.4, Normal

5 but could have been less with a different strategy

Clear

Fine.

1) Cuttle Fish – I hate those things.
2) My own decisions – I got too carried away and got too close to Li’sar, so her Royal Guards got involved.

7 – it’s certainly a nice challenge, and different from previous ones

It’s fine as it is.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Just my carelessness in unit placement.

Thoughts:
After recalling most of my mermen I recalled a few ground units with the intention of gaining some free exp by fighting Li’sar’s forces. That turned out a bit more complicated than I expected, but I still managed to level up a few units.

The monsters did me a huge favor by deciding to attack the orcs. The serpent died as a result and some of the cuttle fish were wounded, making things much easier for me.

P.S.: Nice to know that theoretically it's possible to defeat Li'sar here - even if her reinforcements make it practically impossible.
Attachments
HttT-The_Ford_of_Abez_replay.gz
(51.38 KiB) Downloaded 772 times
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Faello

Post by Faello »

Challenging (Champion), 1.9.6, no saves/reloads, 296 starting gold

5. <to get another Storm Trident>

It's interesting river crossing scenario. Li'sar (Princess, 200gp) tries to chase down Konrad and his comrades using a large fixed income to recruit lvl2 units. There's no point to face her army. In the north, on the other side of the river, resides Gaga-Breuk (Orcish Warlord, 260gp) that tries to prevents us from reaching the north side of the river, but his lvl2 units are hardly a challenge if player will position his units in a way that will always give him the first attacks in the combat.

I'd give this scenario a 3 rating, if not the another Storm Trident that can be aquired in this scenario. Best use for this magic weapon is to equip some loyal mermen with it, but bats and SPOILER! large pack of lvl2 sea monters SPOILER! prevents player from grabbing it early in the game, so the safest way to obtain the Storm Trident is to defeat the sea monsters and orcish army before Konrad will reach the shore.

It's a good scenario to lvl up your loyal mermen units. Finished it in turn 14/21.

2 losses, 17 kills

Crystal clear.

Clear and quite interesting.

Surviving the cuttle fishes attack without any loyal mermen losses.

It's a decent scenario.

No changes required, it's good as it is.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

2 restarts to find the correct approach to capture the second Storm Trident safely. No saves/reloads.

Replay attached:
Attachments
HttT-The_Ford_of_Abez_replay.gz
The Ford of Abez replay, Challenging (Champion) difficulty level, 1.9.6, no saves/reloads
(57.47 KiB) Downloaded 826 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.