Scenario 12: Northern Winter

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SumnerH

Re: Scenario Review: Northern Winter

Post by SumnerH »

I'm filling these out having done Elves Beseiged-A Choice Must Be Made on "medium" difficulty, and I'm following the advice to rank 10=hardest scenario in the campaign (Seige of Elsenfar), 1 = easiest (Elves Besieged)

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Medium, Wesnoth version 1.4
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) [1]
4, surprisingly. From the scope I expected more pain.
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very; kill!
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Meh. Clear enough, kind of boring.
(5) What were your major challenges in completing the scenario?
Levelling up a fair bit, dealing with the _slow_ going in the snow, keeping a force back behind to pick off troops who got through and tried to grab my villages.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
3. Snow is just _too_ slow to be fun.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Make the map slightly larger (not a lot) and decrease the snow movement penalty, or make more roads for getting around (strategic control points could alter the play a lot though)
zyx

Post by zyx »

(1) Medium - 1.4.1
(2) 2
(3) Clear
(4) Clear and interesting
(5) No defeated units.
(6) 5
(7)
scott

Post by scott »

I always hated the fact that the change to terrain movement had a huge effect on this scenario. It used to be snowy woods didn't act like snow for movement - it acted like woods. If you could replace some of the border snowy forest with regular forest and not have the map look weird, it might be less annoying.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Trucidation

Post by Trucidation »

scott wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.4.6
scott wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
4, fairly easy. The wolf rider scouts were a bit of a pain though, they particularly stood out in this scenario as village-stealers. In most other scenarios they seemed to prefer combat.
scott wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear, kill 'em all.
scott wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Good enough.
scott wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Moving through snow is always a pain, especially since the enemy pretty much breezes through it. They were no match for my troops once encountered though.
scott wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
6, it was alright, but most of the time was spent chasing down a village stealer or slogging through the snow northwards. Not particularly interesting nor challenging.
scott wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I don't have anything against snow, but the movement penalty makes it annoying. Having to fight in it would be expected, but wading through it when the enemy is half the map length away makes it seem as if it's just there to slow you down.
dELFador

Post by dELFador »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
medium. 1.7
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
kill all enemy leaders, very clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
funny: “we are pursued by the forces of your arch-enemy, chasing the Scepter of Fire (does the scepter move?), the fate of the realm in you hands, and you humans want to rest? onward, I say!”

realistic: “our soldiers will begin to desert.”
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
My units were a bit too slow for my liking.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
none.

my strategy was to have a my elf shyde surrounded by 6 elite (level 3+) units (Konrad included), attack the leader on the left, have a white mage and six semi-elite (level 2-3) units attack the leader on the right, with a couple elf fighters and archers to block off enemies coming through the forest in the middle of the map, and a silver mage reinforcing anywhere necessary. :D
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Try to teach a man to fish, and he will resent you for trying to make him work.
BigCheese

Post by BigCheese »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
medium, 1.7.2

3; much room to retreat and pick the fights

clear

good

none

8 Huge map, lots of diffrent terrain (also good looking map), much time

none, perhaps some intimidating dialogue from the orc leaders; wild/neutral animals
Attachments
HttT-Northern_Winter_replay.gz
(47.14 KiB) Downloaded 854 times
Cornuthaum

Post by Cornuthaum »

Medium, 1.6.5.

2. After the previous scenarios, this is one huge breather.

It doesn't get clearer than "defeat anyone not on your side" :D

This map serves no real purpose other than much-needed rest, recuperation and preciousssss experience farming. Which is purpose enough, really. :D

Feeding my puny elvish shamans experience. No, really, this map is really, really, really easy.

5 - Nothing special. It's a map to unwind after the brutal slog of the previous three maps.

Cut three or four rows off the Y axis of the map, the map is as high as longcat is long.
BubbleScreen

Post by BubbleScreen »

Medium, 1.6

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario?

Crystal.

Decent. Nice reminder that you've basically been on the run from the first scenario, and even your loyal troops need a rest.

Milking every last XP out of the bad guys.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is?
6 - about as fun as you can get for a cakewalk. Plenty of time and resources to break out the big guns and feed XP to shamans/whatever. Varied terrain is nice too.

Shrink the battlefield a little bit. Include a few pleasant/un-pleasant surprises in some of the villages. Or make it harder, but I think players want a nice easy scenario at this point. Give us multiple snowfalls- start with less snow on the ground, and gradually increase it.
roman_sharp

Post by roman_sharp »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Normal, 1.8.3

4, easy

Clear.

Good.

None.

It's hard to tell...
Orcus_Christ

Re: Scenario 12: Northern Winter

Post by Orcus_Christ »

Content Feedback wrote: (1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(1) Medium. Version 1.8
(2) 4. It's easy.
(3) Clear.
(4) Why is Kalenz still following us around? Isn't he an elf lord? I'm sure he has better things to do, rather than hang out with inferior humans. :P
(5) None.
(6) 6. It's pretty fun.
(7) The map is huge. Maybe it could be slightly smaller.
Red_Herring

Post by Red_Herring »

Easy, Medium in 1.8.5

Easy: 3 Medium: 4

Crystal Clear; butcher 'em all.

Sure, it was very clear. However, the storyline starts to get bogged down.

Even though I live in Canada which forces a person to like snow, snow sucks. The movement penalty was too much.

Was not bad. I would say 6. Seeing my Elvish Avengers and Champions plowing their way through made me grin.

If the dialogue mentions about deserting, do it real; start with units without loyal traits then move up. Also, after eliminating one team, give some dialogues about acquiring proper gears and thereby decreasing the movement penalty. Or, you could make the map smaller. Lastly, I would suggest constantly decreasing treasury; the starting dialogue was about doom and gloom, then make the actual gameplay as one.
GagarinGambit

Post by GagarinGambit »

Hard, 1.8.4

3, easy

Crystal clear

It's not award winning material, but it's an improvement over the previous scenarios.

There are a number of open fronts (and the orcs can move much faster than you, so they can fight in more than one) so using the correct number of units in each front is imperative.

4, this map is pointlessly big and your troops move way too slow.

The map can be improved a lot. OK, let's keep the size and the snow, but at least I'd change it to make more sense strategically. For instance, there can be 2-3 paths that stay open, so controlling them would be very important, and most of the combat would take place there.
BTW, if I'm not mistaken, the movement penalty worked different under previous Wesnoth versions: double terrain type (eg snow/forest) would count as the best type of terrain for each unit, both for movement and defence; now the highest movement penalty applies. So, under previous versions all these forests allowed fast movement for your elves, but now that's not the case.
Linux. Space technology.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.9.4, Normal

Clear

Fine.

None, really. The level 2 trolls were the closest thing to a challenge, and they weren’t much of a threat when slowed down, so…

5 – it’s just another kill-em-all. The snow and ice – and the continuously changing terrain – provide a new tactical challenge than the previous scenarios, but not enough to make this really fun

For starters, change the names of the enemy leaders so they won’t be the same.

When the first orc leader is killed make the second gloat about how now he doesn’t have to share the area’s resources with the other fool and then take out some secret gold reserves, along with the ability to recruit:
- On Easy – Orcish Crossbowman
- On Normal and Hard – Orcish Warrior and Orcish Crossbowman

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No

Thoughts:
For some reason the two enemy leaders had the exact same name…

There were a lot of orcs, but nearly all were weak level 1s and thus hardly a challenge. So I used the fighting to earn experience for some of my level 1s and 2s mostly.
Attachments
(50.69 KiB) Downloaded 801 times
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Faello

Post by Faello »

Challenging (Champion), 1.9.6, no saves/reloads, 260 starting gold

Two orcish warriors with the exact same name (Halgar Du'nar) resides in two separate keeps [NW & NE] and have a combined amount of 440gp, which isn't really a lot considering number of the villages player can capture with a good spread of forces in the first several turns. Most dangerous units they recruit are ogres and lvl2 trolls, but at this point of the campaign, player should have a strong casters section that burns anything they can really throw at you. Haldiel (Grand Knight) and Simyr (Paladin) were very useful in this scenario. Generally speaking, with such an amount of levelled up loyal units, it wasn't even average difficulty scenario, there was plenty of time for everything.

Finished it in turn 19/40.

1 loss, 46 kills.

Crystal clear.

It was ok, nothing exceptional.

Destroying both orcish armies in the initial battle and seizing initiative with a minimal losses.

Snow is a bit irritating, but even without it, this scenario isn't really that interesting.

Add some comic input (like sea orc in the Bay of Pearls), it would probably make this scenario more memorable.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

No.

Replay attached:
Attachments
Northern Winter replay, Challenging (Champion) difficulty level, 1.9.6, no saves/reloads
(62.49 KiB) Downloaded 761 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
Skaithe

Post by Skaithe »

1.9.7 Champion - Challenging

Very clear.

Nothing outstanding.

No real challenges here. A much desired and deserved "rest."

It was nice to have a break from the harder stuff for a bid to build up gold. someone had a good idea before me suggesting some comic relief to spice things up a bit.
Attachments
(44.71 KiB) Downloaded 694 times