Scenario 8: The Princess of Wesnoth

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 8: The Princess of Wesnoth

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: Scenario Review: Princess of Wesnoth

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

(1) Easy, Normal (never beat Crossroads in hard)
(2) 2
(3) not very good... 'defeat' would be better wording than 'force surrender' IMO
(4) it's nice
(5) none... it can be a bit hard if you lose all your gold in Crossroads though.
(6) 4
(7) None
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

1=Easy
2=6
3=not very well, but I just assumed that the objectives were normal :)
4=The opening line is unclear, and it sounds like Konrad killed all but one of the Orcs on Crossroads. 'but one of the surviving Orcs sent news to the Queen' would be better IMO. Also, the screen should scroll to the reinforcements when they are called.
5=Konrad dying
6=7
7=I can't think of anything...
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

Just a comentar...it would be great to add a
"replay" of that map to rember wich map it was...

So many maps that i cant remeber wich one looks like :P
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

it would be great to add a
"replay" of that map to rember wich map it was...
For a quick overview of each scenario, have a look at http://wesnoth.slack.it/?HeirToTheThrone
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Comments relative to wesnoth-0.8:

(1) Levels: easy, hard

(2) Difficulty: 6

(3) Objectives: it was not clear that subduing Li'sar was to be achieved by "killing" her.

(4) Dialog/storyline: clear, moving the plot along.

(5) Challenges: nothing noteworthy, but one needs to pay attention to ZOC issues, especially when fording the river.

(6) Fun: 8

(7) Changes: maybe add a village in the north-east; that part of the map is never used for much.
pjr

Post by pjr »

(Comments based on 0.8.4)
Dave wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Easy, Medium
Dave wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Dave wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Not clear the first time I played. I guessed that killing Lis'ar would be sufficient to win, but I thought there might be other ways of making her surrender.
Dave wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear, adequate.
Dave wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None in particular.
Dave wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Dave wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I can't think of any.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

That new battle against the duellist is great, althought konrad wasn't at the castle when he attacked, it was another chance for water battle with the mermaids
I'm not a number, I'm a free monkey
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

1) Difficulty played:
Medium only

2) Difficulty to complete:
6/10 - Once I decided there was nothing wrong with a tactical disengagement it wasn't all that hard.

3) Crystal

4) All fine except a few things: The intro seems to assume that you killed every enemy on Crossroads. Somone else said something like this: It should be "A surviving orc got word to the queen..." as opposed to "But one orc survived long enough..." I agree.
The part with the duelists was good, although I searched the mine entrance before they came out which spoiled the surprise.

5) Challenges:
Crossing the river (with enemy forces trying to do the same from the other side) was hard...but in a good way.

6) Fun:
9/10 - One of the best in there :)

7) Changes:
That bit of dialog where the princess says/thinks "Ha ha, they will go to their deaths at the hands of the undead" etc etc was a tad on the silly side. Perhaps spring the surprise at the beggining of next level?
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

1) Easy, Medium

2) 5, the levelled troops can be a pain at times, but the cavalrymen provide great target practice for archers.

3) Not very. I first thought you had to kill all of her units without killing her.

4) Well, it was okay. Basically a hack and slash scenario with the little twist of facing a more trained army (plus the duellist, who wasn't that big a challenge).

5) The lack of good defensive terrain around the river. I couldn't push all the way to the forests on the other side and I didn't want to give enough ground to fight in the forests before it.

6) 4, sort of formulaic hack and slash. It would maybe be more fun if the princess was all the way up near the edge of the map so it would look like reinforcements are coming down the road.

7) Remove the princess's thoughts. Keep it as a surprise for the player.
Aloo

Scenario Review: Princess of Wesnoth

Post by Aloo »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

Easy, Medium

3 when knowing when to back up and using mermen (got one leveled to 3 on this)

Not too clear but assumed you have to kill lisar to win

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Very intresting. liked the duelist but searched the cave before the trap worked

none really after 1 bad try learned to regroup and use mermen

9 - For me one of the most memorable scenarios in wesnoth in general.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

The scenario loses in replay value when You know of the duelist - but dont know what could be done to fix this.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Easy

Since the princess is presented sofar as at least a somewhat sympathetic character, there is resonable doubt that were actually supposed to "kill" her.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?Through the various scenarios Li'sar's character doesn't come through very clearly. Is she a spoiled rich kid? What is her motivation? Are we supposed to like or understand her? The dialog here could really advance the overall story. We get to find out some more about her, but i've always sensed that this dialog was awkward.

This line especially IMHO is bad: "(He he, little do they know just how many undead have wandered the northern road of late. Surely they are doomed!)"

The comments she interjects in the battle don't seem to reflect what's going on. A little poking around revails she makes them on certain turns reguardless.

The major challenge is getting past the bridge. But it's a resonable challenge.

This was one of the more enjoyable scenarios the first times through. Finally, i had a chance for a fair fight. And the map seems to be well ballanced. It's relatively easy to keep most of your side of the river, but pushing beyond is pretty tough

Basicly i'd retool the dialog. i don't think it needs any other change.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
unsung

Post by unsung »

(1) easy
(2) 3. this was an easy one, with the terrain being well sutied to my horseman swarms and the lack of piercing units that could effectively fight my levelled up elves. the push across the river is hard at first, but it swiftly gets easy.
(3) Very.
(4) errrr..... no more or less than any other scenario
(5) Nothing really.
(6) 9.5 second only to the valley
(7) give them some pikemen so you can't just swarm with horsemen
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
appleide

Post by appleide »

Easy, normal

Clear

Interesting

Keeping enough gold... I don't even care about leveling units, yet I still ended up levelling 5 level 1 guys. When I replay, to try to get a "blitzkrieg" attack (kill the leader as soon as possible before they recruit much), my troops died just after crossing the river... So I had to recruit a whole bunch of guys and hole up in the forest in front of the bridge.

I played PoW many times, trying to keep at least some of my fortune, but I could never do it. THe only way I could beat princess was to recruit 6-7 level 1 meat shields, and like 2 rangers, 2 heroes, 1 marshal, 1 captain, 2 druids, 2 marksman, then sit at the forest till turn 17+, when there are no more troops to kill, because they all died at edge of forest. I also needed to recall 2 knights+ grand knight + elf horseman to distract the enemy so they don't all hit the forest at once. That wasted all my 500 gold. :(

Its fun enough, but I can't beat the next level because of so few gold.

Increase turn limits, so more gold collected.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
cheerful coffin

Post by cheerful coffin »

medium on ver 1.0.2

it's okay for me. When Delfador said "she will understand only one thing." I figure it's probably mean blasting her with lightning.

it's alright.

Cross the river and kill as many enemies as possible during the night. And get back to the forest to form a defensive line during the day. Quick troops, Avengers (they really surprise the A.I. cavalry during the night), and healing are really critical here.

9, very exciting mayhem where both sides going back and fro getting killed near the river. lol if only the sound effects improves...

well nobody is in my keep when L'sar launchs her surprise attack... That's not because I expect it, but because I really need everybody in the frontline instead of having anyone, including Konrad, laid back.

Perhaps if the ambush happens in somewhere more threatening, then it might be more interesting.