Scenario 7: Crossroads

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Buddy Jimm

Post by Buddy Jimm »

(2) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

Medium 1.3.17

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

5. It's not bad... IF you have advanced healers. The gold from Elensefar is welcome, but the enemy still maintains a village advantage that (save the western ones) you largely can't take away from him.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Clear. Appropriate for an intermission scenario.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

I do like that actual ambush is used now, as it prevents using scouts to grab the northern villages, and yet makes clearing out the ambushes and taking the hills a possible(albeit difficult) strategy.

That said, the hills still make a very safe haven for the orcs, which can make it hard to advance even during the day.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

5. I can't really state anything 'un-fun' about the scenario other than its basic premise.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Mokho isn't much of a stretch once you've secured the signpost, but I think you should get some easter egg out of defeating him (maybe Delfador should chide him for going the extra mile when we're supposed to be heading north).
mlangc

Re: Scenario Review: Crossroads

Post by mlangc »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
medium (wesnoth-1.4)

3, however, it should be noted that i could recall lot's of advanced units (about 60% of them where level 2, some of them almost level 3). especially the outlaws and fugitive(s) from the "Isle of the Damned" as well as the white mage i've got from there where extremely useful. without them, this mission would have been considerably harder i think.

unmistakable

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
fine

well, i would say the fact that the hills, and especially the villages there where not easily accessible because of hidden units.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
mmh, maybe some magical item somewhere in the hills (or did i miss something?)....
eric7237cire

Post by eric7237cire »

1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.4

Very

Good, clear.

I had to restart it a couple times. Basically only to learn that walzing through the hills is a no-no. Also, I under recruited to help on the gold situation. I didn't recruit any elves (except the shaman) since there isn't enough wooded area to make them useful, plus they are too slow. You have to use ZoC to make sure that they don't swarm you. You also need to make sure that their wolf riders don't infiltrate your town and take your villages/gold. However, learning these things wasn't frustrating. I ended up taking out the guy to the south and then mowing down the final guy. The level 5 wizard knocks quite a few hit points off and pretty much anyone can take the kill. Then I had a couple level 2 knights, one on the left, one on the right keeping the villages mine and taking out the odd wolf rider and ambusher.

8, perfect level of difficulty. Hard enough to have to retry but not so hard that it's frustrating. Hate to see what hard is like though!

Perhaps make it a requirement to kill both bosses. I mean is it realistic to have one boss right behind you on your journey?
SumnerH

Post by SumnerH »

I'm filling these out having done Elves Beseiged-A Choice Must Be Made on "medium" difficulty, and I'm following the advice to rank 10=hardest scenario in the campaign (Seige of Elsenfar), 1 = easiest (Elves Besieged)

Medium, Wesnoth version 1.4
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) [1]
7; not _too_ hard to finish with some casualties, a bit trickier to do without them.
Very clear
A little boring, maybe; I wasn't exactly sure who the 2 leaders were.
(5) What were your major challenges in completing the scenario?
Figuring out how many turns to recruit and how to get through it relatively unscathed
5. While it's not a straight "flee" mission a la Elves Besieged, Ford of Abez, or Dwarven Doors, it feels like one for the most part, and it's the least intriguing of the lot.
If you were looking to shorten the campaign, this would be a candidate for removal. It's fine but nothing special.
zyx

Post by zyx »

(1) Medium
(2) 2
(3) Clear
(4) Clear and interesting
(5) No defeated units.
(6) 5
(7)
Daxam

Post by Daxam »

Normal/Medium

Maybe I didn't pay attention. I killed both leaders the first time I played it, instead of going after just the main guy (obviously I took out the leader who I didn't have to kill first).

No comment

Hard to gauge the opponent's army size (as most of them are invisible), so I recruited many men to charge ahead

Go through a hill to get to the main leader (hence force you to encounter ambush). The second time I played, I charged to the main leader, ignoring the other. Didn't encounter any ambush at all.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

I cheat on this scenario <.<. I find out where all the ambushes are, and then trigger any that I have any chance of encountering before their main army approaches. A bit more xp for me, and no worries about suddenly 3 enemy units appearing that I hadn't factored into my calculations :x
psvensson

Post by psvensson »

Normal, ver. 1.4.3.

7. Had to restart once or twice to find a strategy that didn't result in prized units being slaughtered by grunts.

Clear. It's interesting that only one of the orc leaders is the target. I find I had to kill the other one first, to get the attacks to ease up.

Nice touch with the ambush warning.

The terrain is challenging, as are the ambushes - I found I had to go into the hills, because I didn't have room to maneuver otherwise. The AI is surprisingly good at handling its troops, attacking at night, then melting away in the daytime.

I thought it would be a pushover at first, then was shocked by the death of valuable units, and I began to try to figure it out. Good fun - a 7.

Can't think of much.
kusut

Post by kusut »

hard (wesnoth-1.4)

3. I had lot of advanced units. I ran straight to north west

crystal

clear but not so interesting. I liked the small dialog when you stepped on the crossroad sign. Wesnoth should put more small(not big and not too often) dialog like this so the players can feel the story (not just hack and slash)

The ambush was scary. So I stayed cleared from the hills, and followed the road to northwest. Consequently, when I passed the crossroad, the southern Orcs were behind my army. I have two white mages (one of them ascend to MoL in this scenario) and a handful level-3 (and near lvl-3) units so this is not much of a problem

7 (being surrounded)

Make the crossroads a bottle neck. Enemy's blockade on that point will make the battle fun (but no flanking of course)
pardon my english
silent

Post by silent »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Medium 1.4.7
7. Difficult to save units I used an absolute bizarre strategy involving a merman hoplite with storm trident slightly open for attack. Suprisingly, I slaughtered several Orcs using this strategy and the rest were gone through trying to break through the forest barriers. After that, I walked a small yet deadly force towards the blue leader (stupid green kept spamming orcs)
This question need only be asked when a scenario doesn't involve kill all enemy leaders
sufficient enough. Not a scene which requires too much other than to warn you that hills = bad idea
Slaughterfest. But in the end that was ok
9. Strategy and sacrifice are integral. Also make sure to save those loyal elves. They may be worth leveling up. The strategy I used also contributes to the high score I gave it.
None
mcv

Post by mcv »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.6

6. Requires some tactical thinking, but I finished it on the first try (I may have replayed the accasional turn, but never had to start over completely).

Clear. Kill one guy. Of course that's not good enough for me: I'm going to take both of them out.

There's not a lot of it here. I missed a bit of dialogue when a unit reached the center of the map because I didn't expect it and had clicked it away already before I realised it was there. Other than that, it was made really obvious to me that I'd be ambushed in the hills, so that's where I went. I'm a sucker for free experience.

Not a lot. Ofcourse maneuver through the hills is slow, whereas Orcs are fast there, so if you go into the hills, you need to send enough units that you can maintain some sort of formation. But if you send too many, you might end up with a lot of units doing nothing productive in the hills. Similarly, you need to decide how many units to send south, and how many to send north-east. Fortunately I had a lot of money and could recall most of my sizable army. Upkeep quickly sent me into the red, but that's okay, because finishing this scenario quickly means you get a lot of money back.

9. Different, lots of freedom, lots of tactical choices, lots of XP.

Slightly tougher opposition, perhaps? Or maybe I should be playing at Hard difficulty by now.
AThousandYoung

Post by AThousandYoung »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

1.4.7, medium

Perfectly clear.

It was ok. The Elves who warn you are cool, but overall there isn't much.

Trying to Recall too many valuable units. I ended up going with masses of new units followed by a smaller but still sizeable force of Recalls.

More triggered events are always fun.
Grisogonus

Post by Grisogonus »

(1) Medium difficulty, version 1.6.1.
(2) 6 - mainly for building xp. Not that easy to break a southern orc, without losing important troops.
(3) Very clear.
(4) Good.
(5) I had to use the mountains somewhat in order to save some of my important units, risky is was, gained some, lost some.
(6) 4 - nothing special with this one.
(7) Well, this campaign is loaded with scenarios, perhaps this one is excessive.
dELFador

Post by dELFador »

medium. 1.7
4. the 6 elf fighters and 4 elf archers were enough to fight their way to the southern boss. (though heavily wounded, and some enemies went after my main force.)
quite clear.
quite interesting.
keeping the leader alive until the unit I wanted to level got there.
none.
bluwater94

Post by bluwater94 »

well i have an issue for some reason on version 1.6.2 my leader (konrad) randomly turned invisible!!! when i leved him up!!! someone help me cz i dont like not being able to see him..