Scenario 05b: Isles of the Damned

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Linthar

Re: Scenario 05b: Isles of the Damned

Post by Linthar »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.10.5 Medium

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
2, but with the significant caveat that I didn't play this scenario as part of my normal progression through the campaign, and I instead went back to experience the other path, so I wasn't worried about trying to kill the liches to get the bonus, or level up units or even try to keep them alive more then necessary, and just focused on pure survival. Doing any of the above would definitely make it a more difficult scenario.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Only somewhat clear. The survive until the end of turns or beat the leader part is perfectly clear, but I would have never known half of what was going on with Moremirmu if I hadn't read about it on the website. For instance the small hint that the temples could hold something interesting could easily be taken as a rather sadistic hint meant to get you attacked by undead if you don't think carefully about their line of looking for a mage, and the only real hint that you can keep Moremirmu if you kill both liches is a vague mention in the objectives that you get a special bonus if you kill both liches.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
The scenario felt like it was filler but it was interesting filler. The dialog itself isn't particularly noteworthy.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
In just trying to survive not much other then determining the right temple to find Moremirmu in. A few merman can secure a number of villages along the coast and the small islands in the southeast and that gave me enough income to recruit a large number of footpads that were never in danger of being overrun especially since the units very slowly trickled in towards my base. Green recruited ghosts and skeletons, and the ghosts got there several turns before the skeletons, while blue's units ran all around the map trying to deal with the threat of a whole two merman, so I was never attacked by more then 2 or 3 units at a time.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
5. Getting to use outlaw units is a nice change of pace, but the enemy needs to be far more threatening for a survive x turns objective to be really interesting.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
If blue's AI can be changed to focus on actually attacking my keep instead of running around aimlessly because 2 mermen are stealing villages the scenario should be a least a little more challenging. Really though I can't think of many changes that would make it a really nice challenge from a survival perspective, without making the killing both liches objective nearly impossible.
ChargeofAddryn

Post by ChargeofAddryn »

I always liked picking this one better then the other scenario, it offers interesting challenges, and I wanted to get the powerful white mage Moremirmu. I ended up with some outlaws and Miremirmu, there were losses though. Its kinda a funny thing, but due to the way Wesnoth creates names for units, I of the give most of my units I want ot level and hold onto stories of their own. Mira was a mermaid initiate who aimed so highly for the title of an enchantress, she was intelligent an quickly gained proficiency with her magic, but sadly died, unable to complete her lifelong goal.

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

1.11.7, Medium difficulty.

Its always been harder for me then the other path, and i honestly really like it for that. A good strong 7 goes to it for proving a challenge to complete the bonus objectives.

Clear. Survive or get bonuses when you win early.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Good enough. I enjoyed how there was sort of a "resistance" on the island that you are commanding ad not your usual army. Its not really part of the mainline story, but fits in well and is still interesting.

Killing the lichs, always gives me a hard time because of how tough those level 3s are. Its a good challenge and I personally enjoy it.

A 7 here. I remember along time ago playing this without the experience I have now. Back then it was even more challenging and I can remember just wanting to survive. Its still interesting now though, and I think its a good scenario.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Not any to its current game play. This scenario is great as is from my perspective.
line

Post by line »

Champion (Challenging) 1.11.6, Shamans only (and loyals)
100 starting gold, enemy: ?
Finished turn 21/24

It think is possible to survive, but impossible to kill both lichs on the first attempt.

Clear

Clear

Not losing a unit to a chocobone. Killing the southern lich with mermen (this would be easier if I could spam initiates, but due to shamans and loyals only I could recall only the storm trident carrier and one initiate).

The combination of fog and chocobone is quite deadly and I hate losing units. So it’s none of my favorites, but definitely a good scenario.

None.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Not killing both lichs.
Attachments
HttT-Isle_of_the_Damned_replay.gz
shamans only
(43.83 KiB) Downloaded 863 times
line

Post by line »

Champion (Challenging) 1.11.12, Shamans only (and loyals)
100 starting gold, enemy: ?
Finished turn 20/24

Considering I recruited bandits and footpads this can't be called shamans (and loyals) only. I guess it's not possible to win this with only recalling loyal mermen, so I hope for an exception in this scenario.
Attachments
shamans only - well, honestly...
(43.84 KiB) Downloaded 895 times
kiss

Post by kiss »

What was my wish? At least, Konrad should have learned to swim!

First play as Fighter (beginner) 1.10.7.

Starting stack:
2 level 2: Konrad commander, 1 Merman Warrior (loyal).
15 level 1 (15 loyal): 2 1/2 lvl 2 (2 loyal).
Gold (carried over) : 100.
Units list: 1 Commander, 1 Mermaid Initiate, 13 Merman Fighter, 1 Merman hunter, 1 Merman Warrior.

And now, I have ... , well it's a nightmare!
In comparison with the pretty simple previous one, this map seems awfully difficult to decipher. Taking into account bases helps a lot.
It seems the southern lich can be attacked from sea. And also that troops coming from there can be attacked into the swamp. A little miracle lets some villages on the way by sea. This is half part of the plan done.
The other part is that I have no idea how to build the outlaw troop.
Strategy: take all villages in the south sea and try to kill the lich. Send some merman north too, arround 18,2. Build a troop for the ground part.

Turn 1: pfuiii, it will be tight! Thank's Konrad. I see them but as there si so much variations in the design, I thought it was a stylish effect.
Turn 2: I forgot to move the outlaw!
Turn 3, ..., 4: hooo, temples are not villages, I don't even check that!
Turn 5, ..., 7: loosing Initiate seems too bad!
Turn 8, ..,13: I should also take care of ennemies xp!
Turn 14, 28: game over.

I loose a lot, perhaps too much to go far in the whole quest!
The worst play I ever have from the beginning? It was really a nighmare.
As I notice from start, the map is difficult, but instead of being more carefull, I go ahead like a fool, spread my units and wasn't able to build the needed one on the ground.

Nevermind, go ahead!

Results.
Loss 10/14: 1 Footpad, 1 Mermaid Initiate, 2 Mermen Warrior, 1 Poacher, 5 Thug.
Found: White Mage(loyal), Outlaw(loyal).
Advancement 1/4: Mermen Warrior.
End turn: 28/28.
Gold carried over: .
Experience: 20/68 kills.
Progress: Commander 1/2 lvl 3.
Units list: Commander, 3 Merman Fighter(loyal), Outlaw(loyal).
Attachments
(34.33 KiB) Downloaded 806 times
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Played on 1.12.5 Hero (Normal) 100 gold (I had also played Muff Mala's but I chose to continue from this one.)

This scenario is great as is.
Attachments
1.12.5 Normal
(51 KiB) Downloaded 747 times
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg »

1.12.5, Medium.

7. The hardest one so far but not terrible. I had a hard time trying to beat both liches and I lost my first unit :(

Clear.

Clear and interesting. The only thing that I think could use tweaking is the dialogue when the outlaw appears. Mermen mention that there are outlaws on the island and then one of them appears without any introductions and the first thing he says is that they could make a deal. Konrad doesn't respond at all and that's the end of conversation.

Dividing my forces evenly. The turn limit was a bit tight as well.

6. I don't like hard scenarios but this one is very nice.

Maybe some mention of a Mage hiding in the temples. I remember playing this on older versions and the first temple I went in spawned the undead and I could barely beat them so I didn't even dare going to other ones. If you don't mention the mage and the player steps on the wrong temple and sees that it's a trap, he might assume the others are traps as well. I think it wouldn't hurt if the outlaws told Konrad about him (I assume they'd know they have an anti-undead weapon on an island swarming with undead).

I find this scenario more rewarding than the alternate route so I'll be continuing from this one.
Stats report:
-start: 100 gold , 2x Mer Fighters, Outlaw (as always)
-recruits(5): Footpad, Initiate, Poacher, 2x Thug
-recalls(3): Initiate, Hunter, Warrior (+trident)
-losses(1): Thug- Glidryn was killed by a skeleton at the young age of turn 10. He only had 3 XP so it's not that big of a loss.
-no reloads
-turn 15: Konrad visits the southern temple, finds Moremirmu and kills a skeleton, getting the XP he doesn't need as he just got promoted to lvl 3. Moremirmu goes to the middle temple and triggers skellies.
-turn 21, north: Moremirmu kills the northern Lich.
-turn 21, south: I realize that if I don't attack the southern leader now, I'm going to be in trouble: If I retreat, the night is going to fall and my mermaids will be ineffective and they'd easily get killed. Konrad, Outlaw and Footpad might reach him, but by then he'd have recruited units again because he had regained his keep and I'd either beat him but lose valuable units in the process, or I wouldn't be able to beat him by the turn limit, costing me Moremirmu.

My only option was to attack with the mermaids and if I don't finish him this turn, my priestess is dead. The priestess land all 4 hits. I try to soften the Lich with a fighter but he hits only once and the lich drains most of that so he didn't really do anything. Now the only unit that can attack the Lich is the initiate- she needs to hit both times and she manages to pull it off. If she hadn't, I'm not sure if I would've beaten the southern leader, at least not without significant losses. Her advancement was well deserved :D
-advancements(4): Konrad->lvl3; Poacher->Trapper; Initiate->Priestess; Initiate->Enchantress
-XP: Moremirmu, Mer Warrior (Trident) 1/3; Outlaw, Footpad, Mer Hunter 1/2; Mer Fighter, Thug almost there
-turns taken: 21/26
-end: 262 gold, 17/22 villages
-dmg dealt: +4%
-dmg taken: -10%
Attachments
(51.87 KiB) Downloaded 793 times
rmj

Post by rmj »

Suggestion for easy level: this level is probably too difficult. Once the enemy uses up its starting gold, it spawns units at the rate for the more difficult levels. I think adding a Trapper in addition to the Outlaw Delurin would be good.

Also it is not likely that someone playing easy would be able to defeat the enemy leaders; perhaps they should be made less powerful.

Largely inexperienced players would play this campaign on easy. Why not give them a merfolk Netcaster instead of a level one unit, of which they probably have ten from Bay of Pearls?
rmj
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

(1) Normal difficulty, Wesnoth 1.13.5
(2) 7.5; a really good challenge but not hard enough to be frustrating
(3) Crystal clear
(4) The dialogue was clear and fairly interesting
(5) Surviving was easy enough after I won the first big fight in the forest, but it was difficult to split my forces and still be able to beat the Liches, so I only killed one
(6) 7.5, a fun challenge that forces the player to do things differently to how they usually would with a new set of units
(7) I'd add something to the third temple, having it be empty after the first two is a bit of a let down
MrA4

Post by MrA4 »

(1) Champion (Challenging)
(2) 5.5 It took 2 or 3 times to win, but once you level up a couple of units it gets much easier.
(3) Clear Kill litches or survive
(4) The dialog was clear and interesting, but Konrad needs to thank the mermen for saving him. Also, there should be some mention that Konrad has some battle experience before the rouges just hand over their gold and make him their leader.
(5) The Northern litch was tough to get at. After that it was a tad difficult to kill the Southern litch before time ran out.
(6) 8. This senario is very well balanced.
(7) None, besides the dialog changes mentioned.
Attachments
(47.06 KiB) Downloaded 716 times
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

After these scenario we have Delurin(outlaw) , Moremirmu (white mage) ,or later we hawe a uncle Somf (bandit).
Who is this sedgerant ? I complete heir to the tchrone, but I don't have him. What???
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
Poison

Post by Poison »

You get the sergeant at scenario 19, if you do a certain thing at scenario 18, details here at the official walkthrough (check scenario 18):

https://wiki.wesnoth.org/HeirToTheThrone
GrandKnight67

Post by GrandKnight67 »

(1) version 1.12.6, easy difficulty
(2) it's challenging, but manageable
(3) couldn't be more forward.
(4) was clear and interesting not much else to it
(5)Facing the liches, The skeletons were just ragdolls for the thugs
(6) I'd give it an 8
(7) for one I'd like to know what happened to the previous version of this I had played a long time back, there was a version where there was a secret enemy in the third temple, a Vampire Lady, still don't understand it, but I remembered in that version, after I awoke her, I saw she had a trait where she could convert your units to her side. and if you killed her, it somehow led to the liches falling dead as if their tie to the world of the living was her, and with out her, they would return to the world of the dead.

Best I can remember is that the version might have been back in the .8 Version given I remember having played The Dark Horde Part 1 at the time.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

GrandKnight67 wrote: June 2nd, 2018, 8:21 am (7) for one I'd like to know what happened to the previous version of this I had played a long time back, there was a version where there was a secret enemy in the third temple, a Vampire Lady, still don't understand it, but I remembered in that version, after I awoke her, I saw she had a trait where she could convert your units to her side. and if you killed her, it somehow led to the liches falling dead as if their tie to the world of the living was her, and with out her, they would return to the world of the dead.

Best I can remember is that the version might have been back in the .8 Version given I remember having played The Dark Horde Part 1 at the time.
You're remembering the scenario in
Spoiler:
that takes place on the same isle(s).
GrandKnight67

Post by GrandKnight67 »

Ah, that explains it, thanks!