Scenario 05b: Isles of the Damned

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 05b: Isles of the Damned

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

1=Easy
2=8
3=very
4=very, but the story seems to have a missing image, and for some reason has the map as the first page...
5=Moremirmu dying
6=6
7=A few things.
a) I don't like the temples part... for one thing, the player gets an advantage if Moremirmu is at 13,17. Also, why is 6,13 always meaningless? I think there should be only 1 temple, since if the player knows how the scenario works that will be all that is relevant anyway.
b) It is unclear that the player gets no advantage from XPing Moremirmu. I suggest that Moremirmu keep his XP and level in VoD, but make it so he needs less than normal XP to level.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: Scenario Review: Isles of the Damned

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

(1) Easy, Medium, Hard
(2) 9
(3) very
(4) not so good, but OK
(5) low gold?
(6) 2
(7) Raze some of the forest... it's boring travelling through it.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Fortify

Post by Fortify »

1) Medium
2) 6 no walk in the park but no dispair
3) objectives were clear but I don't think I would have understood the value of getting Moremirmu to join me later if I hadn't read about it here.
4) Good, would not be hurt by slightly more.
5) Random placement of Moremirmu was a large factor. The level was a 9+ difficulty if I opened a temple with undead first. 6 difficulty was when I found Moremirmu first.
6) very fun to play outlaws and a mixed day/night cycle. Also not bad to be split from my power units.
7) I like the randomization of the temple loading BUT.... if someone were to try to play this through with ZeRO reloads then Moremirmu should be in the 2nd temple regardless of order opened. Add some other positive result(like a holy water or heal to max) in one temple to keep people going to the other temples.
The shovel saves more lives than the sword.
daloser

Post by daloser »

Dave wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
1 - E
2 - 9
3 - Clear
4 - Okay
5 - Just about everything. Not much gold, weak units, missed my army :cry: . Over commiting to one flank while holding/advancing on the other.
6 - 8 Its hard but fun, and getting two level 2 units to add to your army is nice. Also ya can earn a good amount of gold with a decent "early" finish. Any footpads and thugs that survive are very handy in later maps, especially the next one.
7 - I'm gonna whine and say make it a little easier. 20 more GP at the start? No, that would make it less fun. I guess. This is, IMO, one of the hardest scenarios in the campaign, especially the first time. But since ya don't HAVE to play it...
scott

Post by scott »

1. medium
2. 8
3. very. However, this does not take into account the various outcomes involving Moremiru. That's confusing.
4. I believe this: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2734 would improve the story somewhat (.cfg files attached there).
Also, I always wondered why outlaws were on the island, but if you explain it too much, no one will need to play my campaign.
5. the f-ing bats
6. 6-7
7. Add one more village in the center of the island, in or next to that little clearing just east of the mountains. It would take the pressure off a bit without lowering the intensity of the enemies or relieving the financial constraints.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
pjr

Post by pjr »

(Comments based on 0.8.4)
Easy, medium.
Dave wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Dave wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very clear.
Dave wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear and adequate.
Dave wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Staying alive is quite easy, but defeating even one of the enemies is quite hard. (IIRC, I didn't succeed in beating this one in three attempts when I was playing on easy.)
Dave wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Dave wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I can't make any positive suggestions, because there isn't really anything about this scenario that I like. The choice is between a very difficult, slow and frustrating scenario that gives me an extra mage and some weak units that I'll probably never want to recall, and an easy, entertaining scenario that allows me, if I'm reasonably lucky, to level several units and get a heap of gold. I prefer the easy way.
ekubec

Post by ekubec »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

(1) Medium
(2) 7
(3) fairly clear
(4) Very clear
(5) Discovering strengths and weakness of thugs, etc. v undead
Getting luck with the surprises in the temples
Those ghosts are a lot more difficult to kill than they look!
(6) very fun
(7) probably none--most of the things I got frustrated with ended up causing me to learn more tactics and become better.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1)
easy medium
2)
3)
clear enough
4)
Not bad perhaps some more details
5)
Over the water areas just in time is a little bit difficult
6)
7)
The Outlaws with lvl2 max level aren´t that super unit but the white Mage is great
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Old_Cat

Post by Old_Cat »

1. Easy
2. 6-8
3. normal
4. very
5. Moremirmu dying
6. 7-8
7. :roll: :?: :?:
I'll be back!..
yoni

Post by yoni »

(1)easy
(2)10
(3)Very
(4)Good
(5)surviving
(6)1(cuz i can't win)
(7)1.On easy, only 20 turns. 2.Make only 1 temple. 3.150 gold. 4.50% (or less) xp for miramu.

yoni
Many people want to see what it is like to die, but no one wants to die.
-Anonymous
P.S. go to http://members.cox.net/yonibr/
PDF

Post by PDF »

Dave wrote: (1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Normal only, I play on this level following some advice to start here for vet strat gamers ...Surely I shouldn't have heeded to this (see below) and started on Easy :roll
Dave wrote: (2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Let's say ... 12 :lol: , each time I've been thoroughly bashed, don't even have an idea of how to win this ...
Dave wrote: (3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Ho, my objective is to survive first ... :o ... Seriously, it's OK
Dave wrote: (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Fine. I like the idea of an "offroad" scenario (out of the main plot and with special units).
Dave wrote: (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
As before, surviving ...I mean how can I beat the horde of undead with those totally ineffective thieves ?? The only effective unit (Thug) is too slow, and the other are 50% resisted by the undead most of the time ?
On top of that, as the scenario is out of the main plot, you don't even get your experienced units ...
And each game I played I had the "temple enemies" rising in the first cave (easternmost one), and never had a chance to reach the other and find the mage ... :(
Dave wrote: (6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
4/10 , too hard , not enough clues on how to win (I mean for a player proud of overcoming Bay of Pearls...)
Dave wrote: (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Some ideas (maybe crappy ...) :
Add some units to help (maybe free thieves ?)
Remove the temple enemies, or make sure they arrive after you got the mage,
Maybe add a cool item to give more "significance" to the scenario (I like hoarding magiv items, I'm an RPG-minded player, and the Trident you get in the 3rd scenario isn't that useful as you have to give it to a Merman... :( ).

Oh well, rereading this it's clear that I write out of frustation, the scenario is good, if only I could beat it ! :roll:
PDF
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

The difficulty of the level is largely dependent on Konrad - it's actually not that bad if he's been leveled into a lord. That's one of the odd things I always do in rpgs, pushing some strange stat higher than it is expected to be.

Having Konrad at a higher-than-usual level is great, in many cases, as his leadership helps other units to level themselves, especially mages, who are usually in a spot of trouble if their victims survive.

Hell, as a Lord - konrad can lead moremirmu. That's just sick - the lich doesn't stand a chance.

So, the real difficulty of the scenario lies in the very short time limit, and the plodding passage across the water. On anything but easy, I doubt I could properly "win" the scenario.

Everything else - story background and all, is nice - I like the originality, relative to other cookie-cutter levels in HttT.
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

It would be nice to post an image of the scenario... I cant remember wich one was that... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :oops:
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D
silvermane

Post by silvermane »

(1) Easy
(2) 7
(3) Clear enough
(4) No problems with it, but it should be emphasized that Moremiru only joins the player later if they kill both liches
(5) Using chaotic troops, so that the enemy has the advantage at the same time as you
(6) 7
(7) More temples in the forest perhaps, but then you'd be hard pressed to find Moremiru with all your limited resources and still fend off enemy attacks. Especially since mermen, which you can recruit cheaply, won't enter the forest.