Scenario 4: Bay of Pearls

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ChargeofAddryn

Re: Scenario 4: Bay of Pearls

Post by ChargeofAddryn »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Medium, Version 1.11.7

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

I am going to give it a 5. I did not find this particularly hard, but unlike the Isle of Alduin which as of late has seemed ridiculously easy, this was easy because of tactics I used, not because of the AI. I time the attack right, I had Konrad's leadership, as well as shamans and druid healing and slowing, allowing those knights I have leveled up to now smash the enemy to pieces. It s a good scenario to really use those horsemen, an I personally liked it. For someone who doesn't play with horsemen a lot I can understand it being slightly more difficult and I can see them having a bit of trouble, but the terrain on this map is perfect for horsemen, and if you haven't used them when you were specifically given them for a purpose, well you just aren't to smart.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Very clear, and I like the bonuses if you used your Mermen well. It allows the players to realize the use of the units and gain power for later scenarios.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

honestly you would think the little minor amusement of Bugg would have worn off after playing the campaign so many times, but it hasn't. The storyline is simple as "they need to stop the evil guys from main these people slaves", so yes it is very clear and understandable.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

The major challenge of this scenario in general to the player is really completing the objectives without Delfador. My most major challenge though was simply wondering with which unit to get the XP from the enemy leader.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

I will give it a 7. Good scenario all around.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Maybe a ranged merman or two earlier on so the player can experience more then one side of the mermen units, it would spice up the otherwise simplistic, battle in which you just pull back to the reefs at night and attack at day. by the time I freed the other cage, the orcs and nagas were defeated, so there wasn't so much point to them.
Scaeb

Post by Scaeb »

I'm replaying HttT after a long time.
The first thing I noticed was: I missed the sea orc... Bugg was an ordinary orcish archer! -- And then, at the beginning of turn four, he turned into the beloved sea orc without any notice or reason!

Is this a bug?

Playing on 1.11.7 on Mac.
line

Post by line »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Champion (Challenging) 1.11.6, Shamans only (and loyals)
348 starting gold, enemy: 110/210
Finished turn ?/21

The most interesting part of that scenario is the sea fight. The wiki recommends to split up the mermen into two groups. A bigger one dealing with the nagas and smaller one to reach the cage in the northeast.
Following that advice I had to suffer casualties. I wanted to rescue every single merman. That worked only out by:
- first freeing all cages south of the orc’s island
- then slowly retreating while staying in good formation
- retreat next to the shore, where cage no. 2 and 3 have been
- here I could create a safe zone for wounded mermen between the shore where my land army awaited the landside attack and the two sea villages
- also the nagas were attracted by land units with poor melee abilities (sorceress, shamans) – I exposed those in a way they could distract the nagas, but survive the attacks
- now the nagas could be killed easily, because they came close to the shore and could be attacked by ranged, magical units
After healing all mermen went northeast, to kill the lvl-2 nagas and get the storm trident. Then they assisted some quick land units in killing the island orc. So both leaders could be killed.

Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear

Letting the mermen survive.

The interesting sea battle is quite a bit depending on the recruiting of the island orc. The more nagas instead of bats he recruits the harder it is not to lose a merman.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Death of a merman.

The replay crashes, so no replay attached.
line

Post by line »

Champion (Challenging) 1.11.12, Shamans only (and loyals)
365 starting gold, enemy: 110/210
Finished turn 18/21

I tried a lot to save all of the mermen. Retreating didn't work out that well, to corral was the key. Avoiding losses with the land army extremely delayed my attack, so I got into time trouble to kill both leaders.
Attachments
HttT-The_Bay_of_Pearls_replay.gz
shamans only
(43.19 KiB) Downloaded 703 times
kiss

Post by kiss »

First play as Fighter (beginner) 1.10.7
Ooooppps: I've had to stop the game in the middle of turn 8 and this is a kind of forced reload with my default settings. I've tried to play it the same way, but the hurted merman in central fight couldn't reach the village, the merman still level up in the upper fight, and I do not really remember for the lower fight.

Starting stack:
- 2 level 2: Konrad commander, 1 Elvish Marksman.
- 10 level 1: 8 1/2 lvl 2 (1 loyal). And that poor Haldiel (loyal) without xp!
- gold: 540.

My bad, I was so involved in the fight that I forgot to visit all villages in the previous scenario! And I've don't even try the boat!

So much is new here! Let's discover all that if possible.
Strategy: try the boat, free the 3 merman near the beach and send some troops near 24,34. Then I'll see.

Turn 1: ho, I was talking of the 3 jails when I say 3! This changes all. Merman can do nothing with the boat.
Strategy: cut blue income and free all merman.

Turn 2: the boat is useless or I do not find how it can work.
Turn 3, 4: arf, a wereorc! I recruit 2 more horsemen, I hope it will be enough. Too bad, my calculation about moves are wrong!
Turn 5: I decide to retreat in order to beat them on the sea.
Turn 6, ..., 15: game over.

Nice features in this one. But I'd like been able to look at the unit list before make a choice. Now, I have a good idea of it, but it won't be always the case.
I choose by sea, maybe a chance to train merfolks.

This one takes me a lot of time.
There are lot of new concepts (hopefully, undo is here!) and fighting in a narrow land isn't easy. Managing xp distribution is also challenging and somehow new to me.

Results.
Loss: 3 lvl 1.
Advancement: 1 Merman Warrior (loyal).
End turn: 15/27.
Gold carried over: 287.
Experience: 22/48 kills.
Progress: 6 3/4 lvl 2, 6 1/2 lvl 2 (5 loyal).
Units list: 1 Commander, 2 Elvish Archer, 1 Elvish Fighter, 1 Elvish Marksman, 1 Elvish Scout, 3 Evish Shaman, 2 Horseman, 2 Mage, 1 Mermaid Initiate, 13 Merman Fighter, 1 Merman hunter, 1 Merman Warrior.

In the sea it's not easy to differentiate the Merman Warrior.
Attachments
(31.04 KiB) Downloaded 674 times
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Played on 1.12.5 Hero (Normal) 408 gold

From here, I tried both Muff Mala's Peninsula & Isle of the Damned.
Attachments
1.12.5 Normal
(45.83 KiB) Downloaded 680 times
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg »

1.12.5, Medium.

5. I made some mistakes which made this scenario more difficult (such as engaging the land orc a turn too soon) but I see how I could've done it better.

Clear.

It's ok, but Delfador goes of all alone to "provide distraction"... I wonder how much of a distraction one old man can be...

Trying to protect my leveled units and dealing with lvl 2 orcs.

7. I love how the versions of wesnoth change but the Sea Orc remains ^^.

Having more diverse Mermen would be nice, e.g. replacing 2 Fighters with an Initiate and a Hunter (but the sea battle revolves around melee and high evasion so I'm not sure how having ranged attack and magical would affect the balance).

Other info:
-starting gold: 434
-recruits(2): Horseman, Mage
-recalls(7): Archer, Fighter, Shaman, Horseman, Knight (Haldiel), 2x Mage (Elrian)
-on the sea front, only 1 Naga was recruited; the bats pose a threat when they gang up on a unit at night and wear it out until the Naga can finish them. However, I got the initiative and was able to attack bats at day, defeating most of them. From that point on, the only problem on that front was trying to take down the leader with as little casualties as possible.

-turn 6, land: I put my Knight on a village the enemy orcs can reach, with the intention of having them suffer retaliation and ending a turn next to my village. By doing this, I've given the orcs initiative to attack while it was still night, which was a stupid move in hindsight. I did it partly because if I attacked them the next turn, I'd block his units at the front from moving forwards and those that follow would catch up, so I'd have to deal with all of them at once. Now I think it might have been better if I waited for a turn, but who knows.

-turn 7, land, plan: not seeing a way to deal with the mess I've created without losing a unit (as most of my units were squishy types), I decide to sacrifice a horseman- one was on a village, could be attacked from 2 sides and was in reach of 2 Warriors and an Archer. The other horseman was not on a village, and could be attacked by 3 units. One of them would likely be their prime target and, if all goes well, all 3 of enemy units would be needed to take him down, thus leaving no enemy units close enough to harm my Shamans and Mages who are my priority for leveling.

-turn 7, land, outcome: orcish archer goes for the horseman on the village, hitting twice. Now the Warrior needed 3 hits to take him down, but managed to miss all of them. This stroke of luck is also visible from the stats: the luck has been pretty even, slightly to my disatvantage by then, but this lack of received damage could not be compensated by the end of the battle. No unit lost.

-turn 8: On land I manage to mop up the warriors and position my troops so that no frail units can be killed. On sea, I surround the enemy leader. He has recruited another Naga by now, but to beat any of my mermen, he'd need to attack with both the naga and the leader. Considering that leader is 1 hit from death, I doubted it'd happen.

-turn 9: sea leader killed, leveling a merman
-turn 14: my leveled merman picks up the trident
-turn 15: last cage opened, all naga defeated. No enemies remain at sea
-turn 16: I try to give the killing blow on the enemy leader to either of my two least experienced mages but they prove that they are not yet skilled enough to advance :x . My druid gets the kill.

-end: 462 gold, 21/22 villages
-no losses, no reloads
-turns taken: 16/24
-advancements(2): Shaman->Druid, loyal Fighter + trident-> warrior
-XP: Knight (Haldiel) over halfway to lvl 3; Konrad halfway to 3; 2 Mages about halfway to lvl 2 and a loyal Mage (Elrian) on the verge of advancing; Merman Fighter and Hunter, Elvish Archer & 2 Horsemen halfway; Elvish Fighter almost lvl 2; a bit of XP on Druid as well
-dmg dealt: +7%
-dmg taken: -18%
-I saved before the killing blow so I could take both routes with the same starting conditions
Attachments
(44.3 KiB) Downloaded 647 times
rmj

Post by rmj »

Suggestion for easy level: too many merfolk. Just go after the orc leader; who cares if several merfolk die.
rmj
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

(1) Normal difficulty, Wesnoth 1.13.5
(2) 6; not excessively difficult but a fun challenge
(3) Crystal clear
(4) The dialogue was alright, nothing more
(5) Keeping enough Mermen alive was a challenge against a lot of bats and naga
(6) 7; a fun scenario with two fronts to fight on
(7) I'd give the land-based Orc slightly more money, as the land battle was a bit easy, maybe take some of it from the other Orc
MrA4

Post by MrA4 »

(1) Champion (Challenging) 1.12.6
(2) 4 It wasn't hard even though I made some mistakes fighting with the mermen.
(3) Clear
(4) The dialog was okay at best. It needs to be reworded.
(5) The biggest challenge was keeping the mermen alive long enough for them to kill the water leader.
(6) I'd give it a 6, because it does require tactics and I like that.
(7) Reword the dialog to be more flowing. The land orc could be closer, and don't have Deflador leave. (Only let Deflador fight if you plan on changing the orc distance.)
Attachments
(46.91 KiB) Downloaded 683 times
Britannicus

Post by Britannicus »

Version 1.12.6, Challenging (Hard)

6, the turn limit is rather tight.

Crystal clear, kill at least one leader.

Pretty decent, however there is one issue: in the end, Delfador says that Elensefar is north-west of the Bay of Pearls, but according to the official map, it is almost straight north and even a little bit to the east.

Not losing my loyals, finishing in time.

8, pretty fun to have a sea and land battle.

Nothing really comes to mind, except for the dialogue part.
MTaur

Post by MTaur »

1. Difficulty setting - Challenging 1.14.2
2. Personal difficulty - 6 I guess I can't complain. I had to restart once, but the momentum I got with better planning was great. Trying to bring the sea enemies onto land didn't work for me - it just kept my land forces too busy to win on the Eastern front.
3. Clarity - Wasn't sure exactly how the merfolk rescues would work in advance. Not too bad.
4. Dialog/storyline - Adequate.
5. Challenges - I wasn't able to protect all of the loyal units, but the sheer number of them makes it sort of ok to lose 3-4. Getting the Storm Lance and the Northwest Merfolk is pretty essential, but scary because you're all on your own. Juggling damage with no healer and day/night manipulation is absolutely crucial for completing optional objectives. I would have had a *very* hard time trying to save 100%. I was only able to win when I was aggressive with the merfolk and accepted a few losses. Trying to get the land force to help the merfolk, on the other hand, watered down my land vs land effort too much.
6. Fun - 6 I felt like I had a rough challenge and very limited choice in how to save the merfolk. The land battle was somewhat generic, but a nice XP fest. I was able to kill both leaders just barely, after I leveled a Shyde on the NE boss just in time to have her last-hit the boss on the island. Elrian and Haldrian both hit lvl 2, and my Storm Trident merfolk warrior hit 2 as well. Pretty good farming all around.
7. Changes - Maybe leave it alone, I don't know.
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Beginner

- Easy, kill the orcs and free mermen

- I like it. Bugg's lines are really amusing and the word "idiot" spices it up

- Dealing with the "blue flag" enemies, having tough time beating them with mermen

- Not sure
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.14.7, Champion (Challenging)
1.15.0, Champion (Challenging)

Clear.

Clear.

None.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

No.
Attachments
HttT-The Bay of Pearls replay.gz
(36.35 KiB) Downloaded 454 times
HttT-The Bay of Pearls replay.gz
(34.99 KiB) Downloaded 478 times
Poison

Post by Poison »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.14.7, Champion (Challenging), 288 gold

6, knights (and shamans) shine here too.

Clear.

Clear. You get help at the beginning to see the far away cage.

None.

A 9, very interesting battle.

Not much to change there.

No but I rolled back a round because i didn't optimize damage (when i save the scout)