Scenario 1: The Elves Besieged

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

GrouchyDan

Re: Scenario Review: Elves Besieged

Post by GrouchyDan »

(1) What difficulty level and Wesnoth version have you played the scenario on?

Many versions between 1.2 and 1.6, Easy and Medium difficulty

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

Questions such as this are difficult for me to answer. I don't think I've ever been unable to complete the scenario except for a few times when I over-exposed Delfador or Konrad to Orchish onslaughts, and suffered one of their deaths. I'm comfortable saying that the scenario isn't overly difficult; getting Konrad to the signpost on turn nine is almost always doable, but advancing even one Elvish Archer to level two is problematic.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Satisfactory.

(5) What were your major challenges in completing the scenario?

Maintaining sanity in the face of my Elvish allies' strategic imbecility.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

This is a really fun scenario. I've always enjoyed playing it. I don't like rating things the way you ask. What's the definition of a 4-fun scenario; what's a 7-fun scenario?

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

It's fine.
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

1.6 Meduim

Very clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Good, there was enough to tell you the story but not too much to lose attention. A good balance.

Levelign any units lol

3, Walk to this spot wasn't hard and if i hadn't wanted some exp you can walk straight past the north orc leader. ( However i wanted to try and level some units early on)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

None, its a good way to bring you into the campaign.
A death message for the allied leaders?
Grisogonus

Post by Grisogonus »

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) [1]

(1) Medium difficulty, version 1.6.1.
(2) 3 - it's relatively easy to squeeze Konrad to a signpost, problem is getting some xp to your units. Managed to lvl an elvish marksman, the rest of xp spread out to a shaman, 2 elvish fighters and a scout; about half a lvl each, none of them lvl though, and I was unable to get Konrad any.
(3) Very clear, signpost was easy to detect lol
(4) It's a good getaway intro, I like rise to power kind of stories...
(5) Already mentioned, getting xp to units is tricky with all the allies (I guess you'd be toasted without them anyways, so it's ok). Other than that, it's fairly easy, no reloads, had some bad luck as well.
(6) 8 - short, but sweet.
(7) Nothing really, it's excellent introduction to a campaign.
dELFador

Post by dELFador »

medium 1.7
very clear.
very interesting.
keeping Konrad far enough from the north-west orc.
10, I like escape scenarios.
maybe make the map bigger?
Ceilo

Post by Ceilo »

Medium, version 1.6

3 for just getting out, gaining levels is much more difficult.

Quite clear. When I first tried it however, I didn't understand how many rounds I had.

Really good.

Finding a safe path for Konrad.

The southern part of the map seems quite irrelevant for playing. For a while, it's interesting to look at the partisan war developing there but it doesn't really matter for the player.
sw_emigre

Post by sw_emigre »

1.8, Challenging
Not fun, pretty boring to just evade and use recruits to block.
Not too challenging, either.
BubbleScreen

Post by BubbleScreen »

Medium, 1.6

1 for just getting our hero out, but leveling isn't a cakewalk against the glut of Orcish forces. I imagine new players will have rather more difficulty.

I didn't have a problem, however given that this may be some players' first campaign, you might want to gently remind them about the turn limit and where they can look to see what turn it is.

An exciting start to an epic campaign, but giving death quotes to the Elvish leaders would be cool. Don't turn back, I gave my life to save yours kind of stuff.

Trying to level up units without getting people killed, not overexposing Delfador.

8 - makes for a great campaign intro, and immediately makes players feel like their troops are the motley band of rebels they are.

Carve a little bit more out of the forest to make it look interesting, and give your Elvish allies death quotes.
Schierke

Post by Schierke »

Ok, this is my second time playing this campaing, this time on hard diffuculty.

Hard 1.8.3.

Clear enough.

Adequate.

Well, at first i thought it would be best not to recruit at all and just save the money for the next scenario, but Konrad kept getting sorrounded before being able to change the sign. So i just went all in to try and level some units. In the end, i managed to level up two archers and get some decent experience for Konrad.

You can't really "win", and getting some experience against such a superior enemy depends a lot on luck and how well your allies fight.

Maybe nerf a little the northern orcs, and buff the sourthern orc and put him closer, because he really doesn't do anything at all.
Blackadder

Post by Blackadder »

Medium, 1.6
Hard, 1.8

Very

Fairly, I would like to echo the comments of others that this senario would be more interesting if the Elves showed more self interest or at the very least self concern. When the eastern elf falls there is no reaction from anyone else despite how alarming the event appears to be.

Discovering that it is impossible to move the army you recruit with Konrad to screen him while he escapes: If you move Delfador and your Recruits west with Konrad the North Western Orc's Army shifts west and cuts off Konrad's Path.

As said about the southern Orc is too far south, his army gets spread out and never comes into play. Additionally the forest is rather boring with very few features of note considering the colossal size of the map. mixing some flat in would help Defador move more freely and would complicate the defense. This is especially valuable since the less advantageous terrain would require fewer orcs to conquer which gives the player more opportunity to exercise skill in positioning.
Though the Campaign doesn't make much use of fog of war, this is a perfect map to utilize the effect. Specifically because fog of war would emphasize the confusion and fear that should be fundamental to this scenario. We want to create the sensation that an idelic home has been thrown into chaos, what better way than to have allies and enemies moving deftly through our LOS fighting in unknown battles. This effect would be further heightened if we could hear the sound of units fighting even when they are off screen.
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

1. Medium, 1.8
2. 3
3. Very
4. Seem ok to me...
5. Kill the northern Orc
6. 6
7. Maybe give Konrad more gold and his two allies less so we could have more control on what going on
R.I.P
bigkahuna

Re: Scenario 1: The Elves Besieged

Post by bigkahuna »

(1) What difficulty level and Wesnoth version have you played the scenario on? ---Easy

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) One :)

Very, besides the fact that you have to search the map to find the signpost instead of it zooming in on it before you start.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? - Actually it was quite good. It gave you the feel of a real battle :)

(5) What were your major challenges in completing the scenario? Really just watching my ZOCs and moving the heros around (very slowly)

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 8. Great first scenario in the campaign. Gave you the feel of a real intense battle & chase, good start to the campaign, and gave the elves chances a tinge of drama and hopelessness

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? Moving guys faster... With three enemy leaders and one ally + your guys, it takes forever for one turn.
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Orcus_Christ

Post by Orcus_Christ »

Content Feedback wrote: (1) What difficulty level and Wesnoth version have you played the scenario on?
(1) Medium. Version 1.8
(2) 1. It's pretty easy.
(3) Very clear.
(4) The dialog was okay.
(5) Trying to get experience without losing units.
(6) 5. Running away (slowly) isn't very fun, but the battle was epic.
(7) It's fine.
DragonMasterJay

Post by DragonMasterJay »

1. - Easy, Medium
2. - 1
3. - Excellent.
4. - Excellent.
5. - Very little challenges. Just created a defense barrier around Konrad.
6. - 5
7. - Have, at least, a couple of fast enemy troops try to get to Konrad quickly. Once you figure out how to beat the level, you get to the finish too quickly. :P
DragonMaster Jay
Malware expert
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

1 - Easy, Medium; 1.8 and 1.9
2 - 2
3 - very clear
4 - long, but interesting intro, passable dialog
5 - kill the purple orc and let Konrad not too much fall back
6 - 7
7 - maybe make the northwest orc a bit stronger
Gerion

Post by Gerion »

1.8.3, Medium and a lot of other versions from easy to hard

It depends... 1 for just reaching the marker, 3 for killing one or two enemy bosses on the way

very clear

very clear, but somewhat boring. I mean... the dialogue itself is not bad, but this whole "fleeing because the evil destroys the home of 'the chosen one' (tm)" is way to excessively used and the start of every second fantasy story

Besides not slamming my keyboard to bits because of absolutely stupid acting allied forces? Getting one or two units close to leveling

2-3. The "high" score only because the dialogue saves the scenario a bit. But the scenario itself is just being forced to flee because of the time limit instead of just killing off the wimps the orcs are. As mentioned earlier, the storyline itself is not very captivating.

First possibility: making the enemies at the bottom and top right harder, so that there actually is a necessity to flee. The Prince takes the only route left for him to run, around the easiest opponent.
Second possibility: changing the objectives. Orcs attack, fine. But instead of being forced to flee fighting off the opponents and creating a more proactive start in the campaign. Someting like wiping off the blood of the last orc chief and then saying something like: "this is the last straw, now they even attacking the elves. I think it's time to let the queen pay for her crimes. Let's go to Alduin to meet my old masters, the surely will help us." Then the whole 'fighting against the queen' thing is the central decision from the beginning