Scenario 20b: Underground Channels

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 20b: Underground Channels

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
vicza

Re: Scenario Review: HttT 20b - Underground Channels

Post by vicza »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.4, normal

Unlike the previous scenario, this one, I'd say, rather easy. Though, I knew already, where the exit was, and I didn't kill that lich. Otherwise it would be some harder. But still quite passable.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Dialogs? There're not any. Could be, though. E.g., when they first time meet those woses, they could say something ("We are desperately trying to rid these channels of UDs! Please help us in our quest.") And saurians could say something... And these elves, at last. When they first time see Konrad's scout, they could give him a hint, where the exit is. Only when Konrad himself moves there, the Bona-Melodia (yes, very elfish name, indeed) says: "Get that vile creature!" Whom does she mean? Konrad? But why he is vile creature, and not a dwarf, nor a gryphon, whom most probably she'll meet first? And why after that in the next scenario this "vile creature" stands before elvish council, and not being killed? Well, that's better, than nothing, of course (first time I played this scenario in 1.3.7, there were no winning event at all), but still, I think, it's somehow unfinished.

And the same with objectives. "Find the exit..." -- that's clear. "Help the Wose fend off the undead attack" -- that's unclear. "The Wose", in singular. Who's that, some particular wose? And what do they mean by "help"? Kill the lich? Don't let UD kill the main wose? Something else?

When I played first time -- find the correct exit (as I said before, that was impossible, because in 1.3.7 there're no one ;) )

I'd say, the main fun was receiving gold bonus in the end of scenario. :) With usual -20% it was 2677 gold. :D

In general, I like the two new scenarios. I think, next time I'll chose that way again.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

The main question is: where is the bonus? ;) In Snow Plains, they find the sword. In Swamps -- the armor. They could find something here, too. Or, say, if they kill the lich, then a lot of loyal woses could join them in the last scenario. :)
Or, maybe, these loads of gold are supposed to be the bonus?

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

Yes, Lisar was killed by lizards.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

I'd say, it should be finished first, see above.
Paul Kauphart

Re: Scenario Review: HttT 20b - Underground Channels

Post by Paul Kauphart »

(1) Medium, 1.8
(2) 1, and I have to say, it's refreshing after the Cliff of Thoria struggle, and I ended up with about 1500 gold carried over
(3) The Wose optional objectives was rather confusing, since there is no dialogue to clarify the situation
(4) Adding some would be a good start... And replace that "Get that vile creature !" when Konrad reach the exit by something less... out of place.
(5) None
(6) It's entertaining, but adding more interaction between all the protagonist would make it look better, and less unfinished.
(7) First, add some more dialogues, and some bonus if you meet with the optional objectives, like recruiting Woses or some loyals Woses following you afterward. aAtually, I would have the Optionnal objective added only when you first meet the wooses, otherwise, when you start you allready know you'll have to go against undead, it ruins slightly the unknown of the cave.
(8) None
(9) Same as vicza
Mellar

Re: Scenario 20b: Underground Channels

Post by Mellar »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

1.8.4 medium

3. The scenario wasn't difficult. I had several high level units which was effective against saurians and undead units. There weren't a lot of enemies either. Killing the ancient lich was probably the most risky part.

This wasn't very clear. Who are the woses? I was also unsure if killing all the enemy leaders would end the scenario. It wasn't very clear where the exit were. I moved Konrad to the woses, but didn't win the scenario. The woses lived outside the cave, right? I had to move Konrad to the north west where the elves guarded the entrance.

The dialogues were too few. I expected some dialogues with the woses and elves when my units reached them. I also wondered what the saurians did in this cave. A powerful unit such as a ancient lich should also have its story.

Exploring the map actually. There were nothing exciting to the west, nothing exciting to the east after defeating the saurian leader. Nothing happened near the woses, and where were the entrance Konrad was looking for?

3. Rather boring campaign. Too much exploring (where nothing happens), too few dialogues, too few enemies and rather unclear where to move Konrad.

Make a story with the ancient lich, saurians and woses. More dialogue with the elves and make it clear where the correct entrance is. More enemies and perhaps some bonus like the other scenarios has? Flaming Sword or Void Armor, plus a loyal level 2 elvish scout in the alternative scenarios. This one has none.

No. Easy scenario because of few battles.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?

I haven't read the code, but this scenario seems to be unfinished compared to the others.
atomicbomb

Post by atomicbomb »

1.8.5 Hard
8 (Defeat all leaders)
1 (flee)
Not clear. it's hard to find the exit.
Not Interesting. Too few dialogues.
I killed all leaders but i still not win.. it's hard to find the exit with 5 turns left.
1.. i want more dialogues
add more dialogues... and make the objective clear.
My turns ran out. I was forced to use debug mode to explore the cave.
I Don't Know
* shadowmaster hits atomicbomb with a watermelon
* atomicbomb hits shadowmaster with durian
(On wesbreak to take care of my 17 HS classes. Will be back in mid June.)
My Blog | Noisy Bird | My Fake FB Account | Story of Wesnoth Forums
GagarinGambit

Post by GagarinGambit »

Hard, 1.8.4

2, and that's only if you attempt to kill both enemy leaders.

The optional objective is not clear enough, there's not even any dialogue about it. Although I understand this scenario is under development.

Do you mean the "get that vile creature" line? :P

None

7. In spite of being unfinished and easy, this is an exceptional map which is fun to explore, and I enjoyed it in general. I believe it can become one of the best scenarios of this campaign.

Let's see... first we need some dialogue. Second, the undead and the saurians need more resources, it's way too easy now. Third, the available turns are too many and there's also a ridiculous number of villages, meaning you'll be swimming in gold in the next scenario (I got 1000+ gold to carry over!). Fourth, have a number of events trigger when you meet someone or when you reach a point of the map (eg the optional objective becomes available after you meet a wose). Also, I like the idea mentioned, that you get the ability to recruit woses if you achieve both objectives. Anyway, there's an entire thread about developing this scenario, so there's no lack of suggestions.

No
Linux. Space technology.
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

GagarinGambit wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? [...]
The lack in this scenario's dialogue and gameplay were noted and are currently being revised in this thread.
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Faello

Post by Faello »

Challenging (Champion), 1.9.6, no saves/reloads, 664 starting gold

3. <to kill all enemy units and reach the exit>

This scenario has a large map, full of difficult terrain, but if player leveled up his merfolk units and aquired gryphons, it's not that difficult nor complicated. In order tor each the exit, player has to defeat or at least batter up the two enemy AI's, that tend to fight each other too, so it's quite funny to participate in this semi-FFA battle. Our main opposition are undeads under the command of Muff Argulak (Ancient Lich, [central keep]) that has 400gp for recruits and goes mostly for lvl3 units. Szerkz (Saurian Oracle, [SE keep]) isn't as powerful and at the beginning of the scenario has about 250gp that he can spend on lvl2 saurian units. Both hostile AI players have good fixed income of 22gp/per turn at this difficulty level. In the [NW] keep we can find a friendly ancient wose Haralamdum that recruits a lvl2 wose from time to time, while our mission objectives lies near another friendly AI player - Bona-Melodia (Elvish Sylph, [NE keep]). Both friendly AI's have a small amount of initial gold and no fied income, so player should act quickly in order to save them from enemy attacks (especially Haralamdum). With a 3x storm trident on levelled up loyal merfolk units and powerful mix of loyal lvl3's, player can be sure that any thing he should be worried about is RNG <I had to restart twice, after my loyal units died from 4/4 attacks on good defence terrain :annoyed: > and Muff Argulak (Ancient Lich is a very powerful unit, he should be approached only during the day :eng: ).

Finished this one in turn 21/60, grabbing +1086 bonus gold :mrgreen:

0 losses, 24 kills

Not clear enough. Proper tunnel exit should be marked - even if it is logical to go to [NE] direction, Haralamdum keep is also outside the tunnels...

Unclear. Aside from initial information about our heroes entering the tunnels, Bona-Melodia comment on Konrad's appearance is weird (should be probably directed to undeads, but it's unnecessary, since player won't see the first clash between elves and undeads there anyway). Some ancient lich comments would be a nice addition too.

Keeping my loyal units alive.

In spite of lack of dialogs, lower than expected difficulty level and blown-up turn limit, it's a well designed map. This scenario can easily get 8/10 rating if all of the above shortages will get filled.

Add much more gold to both enemy AI commanders, add some dialogs, make scenario objectives clear, cut the turn limit to 35.

2 restarts. both due the very lucky AI attacks (my loyal unit twice died from 4/4 attacks while standing on good defensive ground), no saves/reloads as always.

Replay attached:
Attachments
HttT-Underground_Channels_replay.gz
Underground Channels replay, Challenging (Champion) dofficulty level, 1.9.6, no saves/reloads
(73.94 KiB) Downloaded 886 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
PorkSol

Post by PorkSol »

Hard, 1.9.8, no save load

3 sounds about right, maybe 4 to preserve all merman, but the volume of enemies is low enough that you can generally control the circumstances of battle; its your swarm of elites and loyals ganking isolated level 3 undead.. It would be hard to imagine anyone using up the 60 turns available. Also the Saurians and the undead are not allied, so they waste their resources fighting each other.

Less clear than normal. It looked to me like you could have escaped from the underground channels in the area where the Wose has his castle. I guessed that was too close to be the real exit, but still.

Virtually non existant.

Keeping the loyals, important veterans and special characters alive. You did need to approach some situations like the ancient lich cautiously. But my army was a lot more powerful than the AI armies, so the actual battle wasn't really in doubt unless I suicided on the ancient lich.

4 - The map is nice but due to the weak opposition there is a lot of walking through slow terrain with not much going on.

Enemies with more gold, allied enemies (it doesn't make that much plot sense but it will probably help the AI performance), more clarification of the objective, possibly a different objective.

It might also make sense to not have them recruit level 3s too often, so they can recruit more units. Not sure how enemy recruitment works, but enemy density was very low, especially for the undead.

I ended up restarting once, but by then I had a good idea of where the objective was, so my turn count got pretty low. This meant that the turn limit was way too high.

This meant I got way too much bonus gold.

A loyal merman died when I lost concentration, so I restarted the map. I probably should have just let him die.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Begginer difficulty, 1.8.4 and 1.10.0
2 - notable difficulty drop after Cliffs of Thoria. It might be even easier if I didn't split my army at the beggining to fight the Saurians. The undead (with exemption of the Ancient Lich himself) were killed by the woses, so I wouldn't be surprised if somebody finished it without killing any enemies.
clear, only part of this scenario that didn't feel like incomplete
on scale 1-10 it would be -1 (not 1, minus one). There is total of two (!) sentences, one that you enter the cave and one where you reach the exit. The latter sentence is "Get that vile creature" said by your allies. Is Konrad a vile creature? (I knew it!) There is no explanation for the presence of undead, saurians and woses. This scenario just doesn't make sense, even compared to other filler scenarios.
Objectives of the scenario? No problems. Self-imposed challenge: Killing the ancient lich with Warven to promote him to lieutnant.
1 - you don't get to fight much thanks to your allies and then it's aimless walking through caves to find the exit. Booooring.
There seems to be an entire thread in mainline campaign development dedicated to make this scenario ojn par with the rest of the campaign. As of 1.10.0 none of the propoed changes seem to be acomplished.
I used save/load for abovementioned lich-slaying.
There isn't much to be commented to begin with...
masuat

Post by masuat »

Hard, 1.10.6
Somewhat clear
Understanding what the exit is
Give the enemies more gold, give me less villages, greatly reduce the turn limit

This is a very interesting scenario. There's not a lot of action but the map is very good looking and the multiple sides battling it out kept my interest. A suggestion I have is to make the first unit who steps on the illuminated cave tiles (ie. the exit) say a line that says 'this must be the exit', because I was actually dumb enough not to realize that it was, in fact, the exit. The reason I had trouble realizing this was because I went north first, where the cave morphed into forest too slowly. I was confused as to what the terrain meant. I remembered the previous scenarios dialogue about elves guarding the cave exits, but since I found the NW wose leader, who seemed to be outside already, and the act of that did not fulfill the objectives, I thought the other leader wouldn't be the exit either and the light in front of the exit was just a fancy decoration for the level 4 sylph. Making the unit who discovers her say something to denote that it is the exit wouldn't be a bad idea.
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

Medium Difficulty 1.10.7

5, but it would have been lower if I knew what I was doing.

Clear.

There was none. Which is too bad because this level doesn't make any sense as it currently stands. Why are there wose and an entire forest in a underground cavern. Why is there a random lich fighting the wose. Why are there Saurians fighting both me and the lich. Why was the only line of dialog an elf yelling "Get that vile creature" when they saw me.

The main challenge was having no knowledge of the map layout. That meant I had to spread out my forces a good deal to explore it, and my somewhat scattered forces ran into some difficulties with the lich's level 3 units taking me by surprise. But once I was able to gather my units together he did not have enough units to stop me. (Although I recruited too many merman and not enough other stuff, so taking out the lich who wasn't adjacent to water was slightly tricky but that's mostly my own fault). The saurians on the other hand didn't pose much of a threat to begin with. The time limit was extremely generous to the point of absurdity as well. I finished on turn 23/70 giving me the chance of starting the next level with 1763 gold.

3. Its a lot of exploring a massive maze and a small amount of fighting. The wrong balance for a strategy game.

Finish the scenario. It is very obvious this scenario is incomplete with its whole one line of narration, and one line of dialog (that as I mentioned already doesn't even make sense), and its kind of a mess gameplay wise too. There's no point making further recommendations when its not really working to begin with.

No.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Played on 1.12.5 Hero (Normal) 802 gold

As other have said, this needs finishing.

Scenario Strategy:
Turn 1: Recruit a keep worth of merfolk
Turn 2: Now that I see more of the map, recall my two quick Gryphon Masters along with 3 units I want to level & my loyal fugitive.
Turn 3: with more intel, bring out more merfolk & a shyde. Also deduced location of Saurian base and start moving to attack it.
Turn 4: As the map looks to be village dense, Bring out rest of Elvish Angels, A Silver Mage, and do unit trait recruit farming to get another quick mage.
Turn 5: Acquired the desired quick mage. From intel, deduced approximate location of Undead base.
No more recruits or recalls at this point, continued on to control map and find exit.
Attachments
HttT-Underground_Channels_replay_T44-1V0.gz
1.12.5 Normal
(147.84 KiB) Downloaded 765 times
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg »

1.12.5, medium.

5. Mostly due to my lack of experience with Saurians (I think this was actually my first ever scenario to play against them) and underestimating my opponents.

Clear.

What dialog? Severly lacking. No explanation for anything that's going on.

Trying to properly distribute my XP and dealing with lizards. Note to self: never fight skirmirshers in the swamp :augh:

3. The map is interesting and so are the enemies but the lack of story and dialog is seriously hurting the rating. It feels unfinished.

Add dialog and maybe some special items or something (maybe move that trident from the previous scenario here). The map is big and diverse so it has a lot of potential for items/gold chests/rare monsters.

Yes, on my first attempt I underrecruited and sent some of my units to the east. The saurians skirmirshed their way around my troops, killing one of my white mages and blocking off Konrad's way to the keep (I had moved him north as soon as I could) thus preventing me from getting more troops. I managed to regain it but lost about 4 units that were sent east. I rage quit at that point and decided to start over.

As I lost very early on my 1st attempt, that replay would be useless, so this is for my 2nd attempt:
-starting gold: 956
-recruits(1): Mermaid Initiate
-recalls(17): Arch Mage (loyal), 2x Steelclad, Thunderer, 2x Thunderguard, Hero (loy), 2x Elf Ranger (1 loy), Elf Rider, Spearman, 3x Mer Warrior (all loy), Sergeant (loy), 2x White Mage (+auto-recalled Mer Spearman with trident)
-I spent the first 3 turns getting units (on 1st attempt I saw that I can get a lot of income so a big army is not an issue and I can get XP to many of my units)
-a smaller half of my army goes east to deal with Saurians, others go north
-luckily, saurians had mostly mages this time around; on my 1st attempt, those lvl 2 (or 3?) skirmirshers really crushed me
-on 10th turn I put a Thunderguard in water to attract enemies because he's very close to leveling. He got poisoned, putting me in a pickle as he's too wounded to attack the wraith for XP so I go on the defensive. On 11th turn saurian leader gets killed by an initiate.
-an enemy spectre that was on the verge of death on turn 12 manages to endure to turn 15 by leaching the juice out of the woses
-my units slowly converge around the enemy leader; on turn 19 I used Delfy as a bait; 4 hits from a draug would kill him but it would be unlikely that it happens
-after turn 20, I'm practically in the enemy's keep. I had put Li'sar near the ancient lich, as well as dwarves without ranged attack but the lich reacted to none of that, revealing that it doesn't move nor attack. The following turns are spent moving Konrad towards the exit and mooching the XP by letting the enemy recruit one unit (which promptly gets destroyed) per turn and attacking the lich for 4 XP (he won't kill my units on his turn even if they're easy pickings)
-on turn 25 my loyal Arch Mage kills the Ancient Lich and Konrad reaches the exit
-turns taken: 25/70
-end: 1269 gold, 51/52 villages
-carryover: 1480
-no losses, no reloads, 2 attempts total
-advancements(13): 2x Thunderguard->Dragonguard, Steelclad->Lord, Thunderer->Thunderguard, 2x Ranger->Avenger, Hero->Champion, Rider->Outrider, Sergeant->Lieutenant, 2x White Mage->MoL, Initiate->Enchantress, Warrior->Hoplite
-XP: ~2/3 (Arch Mage, Mer Warrior), ~1/3 (Mer Warrior, Thunderguard), ~1/2 (Mer Spearman), ~4/5 (Steelclad)
-dmg dealt: +2%
-dmg taken: +2%
Attachments
HttT-Underground_Channels_replay.gz
2nd attempt
(117.04 KiB) Downloaded 739 times
SBak

Post by SBak »

Content Feedback wrote: (1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Difficulty level: Wesnoth 1.12.2 medium.

How difficult did you find the scenario?: 4

Scenario objectives: I knew that I had to get Konrad out of the cave. I thought I would just explore and it pretty much became apparent where to go and what to do.

Dialog: There wasn't much dialog but it didn't matter and probably wouldn't to the characters. Kalenz had been moaning for the past two scenarios about the route and 'strange creatures' and everyone being in Wesnoth should know that swamps in caves are natural habitats for the Undead. Nobody seemed too fazed either by the sight of trees wandering through the caves and swamps attacking Undead.

Major challenges?: Movement again. I went for Dwarves and Mermen and basically had the Mermen protecting the Dwarves, Humans and Kalenz. The Ancient Lich didn't seem to have that much gold.

Losing a game and being forced to restart?: Yes a Revenant on 4HP on a village which just wouldn't die right by the exit. An Elvish Rider couldn't kill it. First attempt Delfador failed. Second attempt Li'sar failed. Third attempt Kalenz failed. Each time every single swipe of the Revenant's axe connected.