Scenario 23: Test of the Clans

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 23: Test of the Clans

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Skippy

Re: Scenario Review: (HTTT) Test of the Clans

Post by Skippy »

Medium, version 1.0.2

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario?

10 - I didn't have enough gold so was in no position to succeed. Assuming I had more gold I would still rate it as difficult because of the overwhelmingly strong (if somewhat random) lancers and no effective defensive options.

The kill 25 units and then kill a leader objective wasn't clear at first (and leads to the bizarre concept of farming the green leader to make sure he doesn't get killed too early)

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

OK - no Pullitzer prizes, but it won't win the Bulwer-Lytton contest either.

Having enough lance fodder - I didn't.

1 - too random (instant loss through loss of a key person is a constant possibility) and you need lots of gold to have a chance which means you face a gotcha and have to go back a few scenarios after you find this out.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Provide some viable defensive options - terrain and/or pike units. Don't have any suggestions for improvement on this front at the moment - but instant loss because of a indeffensible lance charge is also no fun.
pjr

Post by pjr »

Easy, 0.8 to 1.1.2. Comments are based on 1.1.2.
The basic objective is clear, but the bonus objective (killing Lord Bayar) seems impossible without killing 25 units on the way.
Very clear, adequately interesting.
There's a constant threat of losing to a lucky charge against a central character. I've been unable so far to beat this one without save-loading.
It would be more fun if there were some defensible terrain within reach where my forces couldn't be outflanked. As it is, the outcome is mostly a matter of luck. If the scenario can be made winnable by strategy, in this or some other way, something needs to be done about the huge cash bonus for finishing early, which rather spoils the next scenario. As far as I can tell, one always either wins or loses early.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Medium, 1.1.2a

Quite

More so than 1.0.2

Holding tight and not exposing key personnel. Instant death remains a clear possibility.

4, sitting like a turtle on a rock with your head pulled in isn't exactly fun.

Actually, I'd make changes to the previous scenario so I could have a little more money coming into this one. I had about 200 gold which was enough to get by but not enough to have some fun.

In sum, 1.1.2 is much improved from 1.0.2. You can actually win with 200 gold. But, the strategy is still run for the hills and batten down the hatches. Many of my turns consisted of 'end turn'.
Sly

Post by Sly »

1.1.2a, Normal

Clear

Fine

Less challenges than in previous versions : having the Dwarven Guard available make it really winable !

7 much more fun than before now that I have lvl1 units who can whistant a charge and retaliate efficiently

Nothing more

I lost only 3 dwarven guards and no other units (2 sharpshooters, 2 archmages and a stray silver mage having fun all around the map ... and of course the main characters)

It seems dificult to kill more than one leader before killing 25 units, even if I had more silver mages (I think I'll try it)
Jew unit

Post by Jew unit »

dont know if its suppose to say this but in 114 its called "Test of the Clan"
2^x-1 mod x
gizbot

Post by gizbot »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?y
Medium, on v1.17

9 at first. It's just totally random if you lose a key "guy"

Reasonable, if silly. Hard to keep from killing too many guys.

Dialog was find.

Staying awake. Constantly falling asleep after waiting doing the long, slow, slog across the board. Click, wait for 30 of their units to move. wait. wait.

Smaller board, shorter, units actually come to you, terrain, decisions, something, anything!
Sombra

Post by Sombra »

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:09 pm Post subject: Scenario Review: (HTTT) Test of the Clans

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- medium 1.18

- 9 (My invincible army felt overconfident after the last eays scenarios. Losing key person in first attempt. , ouch. Killing leaders for Bonus nearly impossible because you kill 25 easily only to get near the leaders.

-5 (Didnt know I had to kill 25 even minor units thought only mayor ones count

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the
scenario?

- Fast moving cavalary showing what power horses have on plains

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? Different objective: for example Lisar or Konrad should be required to kill the main guy (everything else doesnt make sense IMHO from the storyline of view)
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

Easy, 1.0.1 (Not yet on Normal 1.1.7)
9. Really hard, although I had very much Gold (about 2000, I think.)
Not really clear at first, it took some time until I understood what the objective is.
Okay.
Not being killed with only one hit. Also finding a postion with more than 40% defense was nearly impossible (only the villages, I guess).
1. It really was no fun to be killed so often.
I would have added some spots of wood, to get some defendable positions, and I would have made the map a bit smaller - going to the enemy leaders takes forever.
PingPangQui

Post by PingPangQui »

(1) 1.1.7 Very Hard
(2) The hardest scenario of this campaign - lost about 6 high level units here - also 3 loyel Sad - rating 8 (1st time)
(3) Very clear.
(4) Very Nice?
(5) Not loosing to many of my own units?
(6) 10
(7) It would also be fun if the player had a third choice - getting next to the king without attacking or (alternative) attacking anybody (actuylly I don't know if it is possible to implement this)

Comment: I think a pretty good tactic is - recruiting / recalling (strong and fast units) two turns (not more) and heading south and killing the leader there. (was relativly easy since the enemy is grabbing villages the first few turns). Done - there should be at about 10 enemys dead. Now recruit/recall dwarvish spearman and settle your units to the nearest hills
protected by dwarves. Now just wait for the remaining 15 units to kill.
podunk

Post by podunk »

1 1.0.2 medium 1.1.8 medium and hard

2 1.0.2 = 7 1.1.8 medium 1 or 100, 1.1.8 hard 5 or 100, see comments below

3 Crystal clear

4 Nice dialog – I think it is much better in 1.1x

5 Killing one leader and 25 units – 0 problems

6 I've spent hours and hours trying to kill all 4 leaders – so in a way it's a 10. The frustration factor is high when you have to settle for 2 or 3 though which drags it down quite a few notches to a 3.

7 It's very easy to kill one leader and 25 units even on hard in 1.1.8. All you need is a few dwarf lords and sentinels and some healers in the hills. The horsemen are insane and will keep attacking your line even when you've rotated in freshly healed units and they are in the red. Send a few grand knights and a paladin south to kill the closest leader then run to the far corner of the map while you wait for horsemen and archers to kill themselves on your line.

What is impossible to do (for me at least, and I've never read anyone else saying they've done this) is knock off all 4 leaders before 25 units kill themselves on your lines. I stayed on HttT for a long time trying to beat this level completely. Started over many times with the idea of different strategies. I've tried running away, surrounding the home keep 2 deep with mermen (boy was that a failure!) silver mage gryphon rider combos, silver mage outrider combos while surrounding Konrad with thunderers only (they can only retaliate with a dagger – until the archers get there then it's all over).

The only change I could think of that would make this doable would to be have 6 hexs that riders can't get to, Some mountains or an island in the lake or something. A place for Konrad and krew with maybe a healer to sit and only have to fight archers while a strike force moves around the map after the leaders.

Or maybe change the goals of the scene so that if you do kill all leaders you lose and all your saved games for that campaign are deleted so you won't even try. :-)
troodon

Post by troodon »

wesnoth .96-1.1.2a, always in easy mode
in .96, I had to start the campaign over, and it was still really hard. In 1.0.2, difficulty was 9, and in 1.1.2a, 8. The scenario objectives are easier to understand, and I like that it requires you to think about the whole map, which really effects placement of units for ZoC. My favorite scenario.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

(1) Medium, 1.1.9
(2) 6
(3) The objectives were very clear
(4) The dialouge was clear, except for about dueling the black leader...
(5) Nothing much, with 2000 gold and enough level 3's that they are expendalble, it wasn't that hard
(6) 9
(7) Hmm... Nothing much needs to be changed, it is good fun and weakens you before the final battle.

*Extra Comment: Dwarf Lords kill lancers :twisted:
I had a wall of dwarf lords preotecting me :twisted:
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
fyo

Post by fyo »

medium 1.1.11 (1.2rc1)

5, although I only got 3 leaders before hitting 25 units.

Not very clear at all. The 25 unit limit was clear. So was killing all the leaders. It's the consequences that are unclear. Each leader you kill will join you in the final scenario. Simple as that, I assume. (I.e. no "extra" bonus for killing all 4?)

Storyline completely breaks down here. The premise of the scenario (kill us and we'll join you) is bad and the "twist" at the end about Li'Sar and Konrad... well, that's just terrible. Major changes like this need to be introduced slowly. Next milestone (1.3?), the goal should be to polish the storyline (A LOT in some places).

Not putting elite units (too much) in harms way and killing all 4 leaders without reaching the 25 unit limit.

7 (one of the best, imho)

I don't understand why people are finding it difficult. I botched the tactics twice on this one. The first time I almost solely recalled L3s. That didn't work very well, as I didn't have anyone to absorb the hits. Restarted and recruited a fort full of L1 horsemen. That solved the problem quite nicely. In total, I had 20 units. The mistake I made this time was to throw everything south (and then west and finally north). That made it impossible to reach the northern-most leader before reaching the 25 unit limit.

My archers basically didn't see any action and I could easily have recalled a couple more units along the way, so it would have been MUCH better to split forces initially. One group going west to take the northern fort and another going south. After taking the northern fort, that part of the army might need to retreat in order to not kill too many units. Unless it's strong enough to get the next leader as well, of course.

With regards to changes, I don't think I'd change a thing... except the storyline. I'm sorry, but I *really* didn't like it. The premise of the scenario as well as the twist at the end / start of the next scenario were just really, really bad. In general, the storyline seems very "jerky" and not at all smooth and fluent, This is just the worst episode in a long line of bad ones, from a storyline point of view. (I love actually playing the game).
Gojira

Post by Gojira »

Easy - I like a relaxed game. Plus I stink.

Initially 8, 5 after I figured the basic trick

Very

Clear and fun

Trying (unsuccessfully) to kill multiple commanders. Locating a defensible spot.

7 - the hordes keep you alert ;)

One small patch of trees somewhere central, for those who run elf-heavy forces. But that's a quibble, since you win the scenario with heavy knights and dwarves.