Scenario 22: Return to Wesnoth

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 22: Return to Wesnoth

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
toms

Post by toms »

1: Easy, medium.
2: I'd say about 5. Surprisingly easy if you know the tricks to beat it.
3: Very clear-I can't misunderstand the target to beat all.
4: Interesting-no, clear-yes.
5: The speed of the battle, the small map, and the point that you're hard punished for mistakes.
6: 6-7. I like that kind of levels.
7: Don't know. :? I like it as it is.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
pjr

Re: Scenario Review: (HTTT) Return to Wesnoth

Post by pjr »

Easy, 0.x to 1.1.2. Medium 1.0, but was unable to win. Comments are based on 1.1.2, Easy.
Very clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Both clear and adequately interesting.
If the two guards in the nearest castle don't die at once, extreme luck is needed to avoid losing on Turn 2. Protecting the main force's flank against the reinforcements is very difficult; I've had to resort to a diversion with expendable units.
6. Would be higher if the first two turns didn't depend on luck and a stereotyped, non-obvious strategy.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Reduce the two guards to something that is either easier to kill or less likely to kill my attackers.
sparr

Post by sparr »

(1) Medium, 1.1.2
(2) 4, and only that high because of the royal guards so early, the rest of the map was trivial
(3) very clear
(4) clear. boring.
(5) defeating the royal guards patiently, since they could kill any of my inviolate units in one turn
(6) 5
(7) path over the river should be a ford or bridge, annoying for my mermen to slow down there.
fyo

Post by fyo »

medium, 1.1.11 (1.2rc1)

5. Surprisingly easy.

Perfectly.

Quite good.

Not getting killed ;-). Seriously, the enemy units pack some serious punch.

This might just have been the best episode so far. It was surprisingly easy - or, at least, I managed to complete it without losing any units (rare for me) - but the pressure and threat was constant. It felt a bit like walking on a really narrow path with a straight drop on both sides (and no guard rail). Relatively easy... unless you make a mistake, and then you're dead.

I don't understand pjr's comment about luck and two guards in the nearest castle. Maybe something has been changed? I just stormed the castle with the starting units (after recalling more units with Konrad, which doesn't cost a turn, of course). Then I recalled a second batch at the second castle and that was it. The reinforcements were dealt with by a mixed group of elves (1 shyde (L3), 1 sharpshooter (L3), 1 hero (L3), 1 outrider (L3), 1 ranger (L2), 1 scout (L1), 1 archer(L1)).Everybody else took the main crossing, then the north-west castle, then the south-west castle.
Kalis

Post by Kalis »

Most recently on Hard & 1.2.1

4. Really easy.

Very clear

When you kill Josephus, Malatus responds in a very quirky manner:
"These intruders are stronger than we expected. Call in the reinforcements!"
"The queen has sent us to aid you in capturing these rebels"
"We have changed the plan. Now we are killing them."

First, I wonder about the pikeman's use of "capture" rather than "kill, defeat, etc." Second, what plan? And "we are killing them" sounds really strange grammatically. "Now we shall kill them" might be correct, but you're not killing them yet!

None. Between teleporting mages and slowly advancing, the mission was a breeze.

7. I enjoyed it.

A bit more challenging. Say... in unit choice The enemy just attacked you individually which makes it really easy to perform a no loss.
cph

Post by cph »

1) Medium, 1.2.4
2) 4
3) Clear
4) I second the comments of the previous posted, that dialog struck me as odd too.
5) Finishing with gold >0; I overrecruited badly 1st time around, being a bit flustered by the number of high-level enemies and not knowing how many l2/l3 troops they could recruit. Also the villages are fairly sparse in the NE corner where you start.
6) 5
7) -
8 ) start gold ~500 IIRC
zyx

Post by zyx »

(1) Medium - 1.4.1
(2) 1
(3) Clear
(4) Clear and interesting
(5) No defeated units.
(6) 5
(7)
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Medium, 1.4.2
Clear
Average
Avoiding instadeath - those Royal Guards and Halbardiers can kill anyone that crosses their path. Preserving cash - this really sucks the cash given the high level opponents.
3 - instadeath gets old really quickly
Tone down the instadeath. If there are fewer L3 foes, the cash drain may also be ameliorated.
Buddy Jimm

Post by Buddy Jimm »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

Medium, 1.3.17

3. Here's a map I used to hate because I was a one-dimensional little commander. I had a really bad habit of recruiting "just enough" units, sending them west, and letting the enemy storm the river. Effective combat-wise, but often too slow to win the map, and you don't want to spend the whole game defending the border with the fewest villages. It finally occurred to me that the huge southeast forest would be a good entry point for a squad of elves. Getting control was easy.

Clear.

Clear.

The map does carry a lot of high level units, but you have a lot of superior terrain. Use it wisely and there's not much to worry about.

Maybe the southeast forest should be less dense, given the villages. Elves can really sweep right in and cause a major ruckus, especially if you use some veteran ones.
After death, the doctor.
dELFador

Post by dELFador »

medium. 1.7
not easy to misunderstand.
clear.
crossing the river before the enemy could block me.
none.

my strategy was to have a white mage (surrounded by elites) go west and south to the orcs, a Shyde (surrounded by elites) go south and west to the loyalists. I took out the enemy closest to me by turn 4, sceptor of fire + great mage + fire sword + slowing = easy killing.
BigCheese

Post by BigCheese »

medium, 1.7.3

4 - high level enemies, but few in number; nothing a strategic placed steadfast dwarf and/or slowing sylph couldn't handle

clear

ok; no problem with killing Konrad, but they switched their mind from capturing to killing Li'sar far to soon

placing wounded units out of reach from skirmishers

5 - no challenge, nothing is really happening

I have no idea
Cornuthaum

Post by Cornuthaum »

Medium, 1.6.5

Since I busted out all my tier 3 units, figuring that the time to use them instead of levelling lower level units would be right about now.... 2. Peace through superior firepower. Also, the enemy needs to recruit full keeps every turn until you kill them... it's too easy :(

"Go forth and kill everyone."

Including my comments on the Elven Council here:
1.) FOreshadowing ahoy, Konrad is not what he seems to be?
2.) WTH? So far, Konrad/Li'Sar interactions have been either insults, snark or "Yes, yes, I'll do it but I'm not doing it for YOU but because it's the SMART thing to do." Are they tsundere for each other? Maybe. Still, unexpected romance right out of the blue. o_O

3.) "Change of plans: Kill them all!" - So campy. D:

Not facepalming too hard at the AI trying to send its halberdiers through water into the waiting arms of my Grand Knights.

8 - I love cutting loose with my carefully nurtured super-units.

more villagers on the player-side of the river. I was hemorrhaging money early on ^^"
BubbleScreen

Post by BubbleScreen »

Medium, 1.6

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario?
4 - You see three enemies, and think "oh no," but really, you at this point should have as many of every unit as you could realistically need. Three Royal Guards from the first General? Piece of cake.

Kill them! Kill them all!

The switch from capturing to killing was kind of silly. Why didn't the sub-commanders object more? Is everyone in Asheviere's army so evil? Is it okay for us to mercilessly destroy every single Orc in the way? Don't these humans have families and kids, and would they not soon be subjects of
Spoiler:
? How is that okay? Does the end justify wiping the floor with these guys?
Uh, where were we?

Not overrecruiting.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is?
6 - It's a nice opportunity to break out a few of the big guns we've been working so hard on.

More reinforcements?
roman_sharp

Post by roman_sharp »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Normal, 1.8.3

5, normal

Clear

Good.

None. It was somewhat hard to don't lose any unit.

None.