Scenario 22: Return to Wesnoth

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Scenario 22: Return to Wesnoth

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Content Feedback wrote: March 8th, 2006, 10:08 pm (1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
1. Normal/Wesnoth 1.15.12+dev
2. 6/10
3. crystal clear
4. 6/10
5. Considering who to recall and sink XP into. I mean most are maxed out already.
6. 6/10 - Not enough XP is available to level up the loyal Sergeant I rescued in S19C. I got him to as far as General, but the 180 XP just won't be available.
7. Some enemy Loyalist Lancer/Grand Knight squads targeted at the hero units.
HttT-Return to Wesnoth replay 20210425-211143.gz
(63.85 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
lujo86

Post by lujo86 »

(1) What difficulty level and Wesnoth version have you played the scenario on?

Highest

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

It felt like placeholder dialogue noone bothered to even bother with. I think it even contradicted itself at some point somehow.

(5) What were your major challenges in completing the scenario?

Nothing tbh since I overrecruited.

1 - It ended up feeling like a completely throwaway scenario, even though it looked like it might be a challenge due to the lowish-looking time limit to take on 3 enemies. I took the brute force approach, recruited a ball of e. heroes and high level mages, rushed the first guy, recruited more heroes and mages, absorbed the trickle of enemy units at the river, crossed, slowed down and killed the reinforcements, hit the second guy, hit the third guy. All the level did was drain my money.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Some nonplaceholder dialogue would help immediately, obviously, but other than that no idea, really. The enemies seem to have way too little money, the time limit forces you into the optimal strategy, which is to bunch up your units into a ball and just roll the map, there's not much opportunity for interesting side-battles... IDK, it felt kinda lame and pointless.
Orek

Post by Orek »

Content Feedback wrote: (1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(1) Challenging (=Champion=Hardest) in 1.14.17 on permadeath
(2) 3 (18th most difficult = 6th easiest)
... [Difficult] 2, 16, 14, 4, 9, 6, 5b, 10, 13, 12, 23, 8, 7, 3, 15, 17, 19c, 22, 1, 20b, 11, 24, 18 [Easy]
(3) Very clear
(4) Clear and interesting enough
(5) All enemy units were level 2 or 3 and therefore powerful in enemy turns.
(6) 1 (22nd most fun = 2nd most boring)
... [Fun] 2, 1, 6, 9, 5b, 4, 16, 15, 23, 3, 12, 14, 10, 24, 13, 8, 7, 19c, 20b, 11, 17, 22, 18 [Boring]
(7) None

YouTube Link: Run 1 Run 2 Run 3
Walkthrough: HttT walkthrough (hardest, permadeath, v1.14.17) + General campaign guides (Replays for all scenarios can be downloaded from here.)
JL42

Post by JL42 »

Adding a comment here about the previous brief scenario (Elven Council) since it doesn't have its own thread. The dialogue there is generally good, but it continues to be totally unbelievable that the princess is a viable leader and that the elves and others gathered there would see her as worthy. The story would be a lot more convincing if she had shown any kind of maturity or leadership at all during the previous several scenarios. The writing is also very questionable when the princess has the scepter and is recognized by the Council, because afterward it continues to describe Konrad given the orders and this being "his war" and "his men." This conflicts with him earlier stating that he will go "with Li'sar." When they leave to head back to Wesnoth, it does not even mention that the princess is with them! So, she just seems like a completely loose end tagging along here, rather than a leader who is going to have a major role in the rest of the story. Feels like this needs a bit of work.

Anyway, moving on to "Return to Wesnoth" –
What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
v. 1.16.10
Lord / Challenging
How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very clear.
How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Very clear; moderately interesting.
What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
There wasn't much challenge here, though if the player somehow managed to get this far without a lot of leveled units then it might be harder. Seemed like another straightforward, solidly designed map (if a bit perfunctory) that moves the story along and offers tons of XP to harvest. Some of the enemy units are hard-hitting, so you need to be careful about not letting anyone important get surrounded. There's also a risk of over-recruiting or dallying here, which would send you into the upcoming difficult scenarios with insufficient gold. I really like how Delfador notes this as the time counts down, reminding us that we need to "make haste" and focus on saving up some resources.
How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None.

---------------
About the Overall Campaign:

The maps and storyline here are well-made and polished, though not as completely epic as some of the other campaigns. I like that it is lengthy, giving you time to develop your army, and gradually introduces many different terrains and unit types. This seems like a great beginner campaign since it's fairly easy and the early scenarios are framed as a kind of mentoring environment for the young hero. (However, it's a bit strange that some of the basic dialogue tips, like "hey, loyal units don't require upkeep!" are just now arriving, after I've already played through several previous campaigns without that advice.) There are some glitches that can come up in the Scepter of Fire scenario, and some of the princess-related dialogue around scenarios 17–21 felt a bit confusing and unbelievable (more specific comments in the relevant threads). This campaign is very close to full marks, but due to those few lingering issues and the lack of any real epic blow-you-away maps I'm going to rate it 4 out of 5.