Scenario 24: Battle for Wesnoth

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eros

Re: Scenario Review: (HTTT) Battle for Wesnoth

Post by Eros »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

1. all of them
2. {1 2 5}
3. very clear
4. anticlimax
5. none. castle full of Gryphon Masters to go south and around. With skillful positioning the enemies trying to get you get caught in the river kink and you assassinate Ashievere. Oh and you have to spam guardsmen. This required a bit more practice on hard (and more gryphons)
6. 6 (more for the cheating)
7. bigger. have a clansman leader come with you so knights arent so important (to you as player).
"Genius is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration" (Thomas Edison) Which is why I smell so bad!
Cornuthaum

Post by Cornuthaum »

Medium, 1.6.5

5 - Average. Your finest troops versus theirs.

WEll, duh. "Go kill the Evil Queen." ^^"

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
As Li'Sar so eloquently put it: FOR WESNOTH!

None. Since I had the assistance of hte four Grand Knights from the previous mission, and pulled my own set of four, I was able to build a wall out of dwarven lords backed by brutal cavalry charges. Worked like a charm

8 - Finally, the scenario I worked so hard to get to. FOR WESNOTH! :D

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Maybe making the map a bit bigger, so it'd take more than two turns for the armies to clash.
Sam-Lloyd

Post by Sam-Lloyd »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Challenging 1.8.1

Straightforward

I love the ending part of wiping the Evil Queen

I tried to spam Knights at first try but it didn't work.

It's quite fun already
Attachments
HttT-The_Battle_for_Wesnoth_replay.gz
(77.75 KiB) Downloaded 931 times
BubbleScreen

Post by BubbleScreen »

Normal, 1.6

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario?
6, which is disappointing. Probably less if you do a Gryphon Assassination.

It's the final battle. There you go.

Lame, given that this is the end. More dialog from everyone, particularly Asheviere would be appreciated. Here of all places would death quotes be awesome. The Horse Clan GKs can celebrate an honorable death. Haldiel and Elrian, who by now are old friends, deserve death quotes too.
Explain more about why Asheviere's forces are elsewhere.
The final blow quotes are good, though Kalenz deserves his own.

Cyling units across a big front.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is?
7 - It's great fun to have a huge pile of gold and break out all your level threes and fend off all the bad guys, but it is a little too easy, and waltzing up to Asheviere's castle is boring. The terrain is dull.

Ideas:

- Have reinforcements for Asheviere appear every few turns.
- Improve the terrain! We fought half the campaign with elves, so it would be nice to get some forest. And some hills too. The terrain is just dull compared to other maps. Plus, weren't we on the bluffs overlooking the city in the prelude?
- Give Asheviere more income or have some surprises up her sleeve. Maybe some undead hidden somewhere. An unpleasant terrain change, just something from someone so cunning. Maybe she blots out the sun- forced nighttime for the rest of the battle, AND she drops six Shadows/Nightgaunts on you.
- For flavor, Asheviere is an awfully weak level three. I know her power comes from others and we need Delfador to be able to kill her too, but maybe another magical strike?
- Death quotes! Not for everyone, but maybe just loyals like Elrian and Haldiel.
roman_sharp

Post by roman_sharp »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Normal, 1.8.3

8, very challenging

Clear

Good.

Maintain defensive line and attack the enemy simultaneously. You have to kill more their units than they kill your units.

None.
Thurisaz

Post by Thurisaz »

Hello

1. Difficulty easy, version 1.8.1
2. "9" - I tried many times before I finished this map, trying various tactics.
3. Very clear, killing the queen after all is the main goal for the campaign.
4. Clear, not bad but too short.
5. Fightning at small battlefield with so many level 3 enemy units, no place to maneuver at all.
6. "8" - It is interesting to fight in such a static battle for sometimes, maintaining defensive lines may be challenging too.
7. In my opinion there should be more dialogs, not only between evil queen and our heroes, but between Konrad and Li'Sar, Delfador etc. It is the final battle after all, they are fightning for their freedom, they should be more excited. Common soldiers should speak sometimes something too, that is always nice to read some interesting, and not too short dialogues. It may be interesting, when after defeating the whole enemy army, queen tries to run away, and player must stop her, or she tries to surrender (and player choose, to spare her life, or kill her), maybe some of her soldiers betrays her and attacks her personally.

Greetings
Glowing Fish

Re: Scenario 24: Battle for Wesnoth

Post by Glowing Fish »

Most recently, medium. Oh, and 1.8.5

3 or 4. It is somewhat difficult because of the waves of troops near the beginning, but there is nothing tricky about it, as such.

Very clear, too clear: defeat the enemies.

Considering how climactic this battle is, there is really no dialog or storyline. Somewhat disappointing.

Mostly, towards the beginning, recruiting enough units to fill out my line. Then, juggling troops to hold that line until I had finally worn down the enemy. Once I had done that, their entire line collapsed in one or two turns.

3. It is kind of fun to be able to field a gigantic army in a massive battle, but...there is nothing SPECIFICALLY interesting or challenging about the battle. The terrain is almost non-existence. A simple slug-fest.

Well, several, but they might influence the story impact. I guess that the battle is so straight forward and such a grind fest because that makes sense in terms of the story... besieging the capital will not be a matter of ambush and sneaky tactics. And of course, in this battle, there is no reason NOT to lose forces, since it is the last battle.

If I could make one change, though, it would be to connect some water to the starting keep, so that I can use my Mermen that I have been training for so long! For one thing, this would make it more tactically interesting...getting to use the mermen as a flanking force.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
GagarinGambit

Post by GagarinGambit »

Hard, 1.8.4

8, hard. I started with 900 gold and barely made it, I believe it's the most difficult scenario of the campaign.

Crystal

It's clear, but it's disappointing, especially the ending. I expected better dialogue from the last scenario.

The numbers and levels of the enemies is such, that the only way to make it is stand your ground, create a zoc and rotate your units; but you do have to attack as well, which weakens your front line. Finding a balance between defeating the enemy troops and holding your ground can be difficult.

7, good (mostly because I had a good challenge, at last)

Other than the disappointing final dialogue, I believe that's a good scenario to end this campaign.
Linux. Space technology.
morpholog

Post by morpholog »

Hard, 1.8.5

7, hard. I started with 928 gold and wondered for a while if I would survive.

Crystal

It is clear enough, but I had hoped for something a bit more dramatic upon winning. Overall fun and satisfying though.

This scenario on hard is difficult in that the Royal Guards really pack a punch. I just sat back and took it for a long while, rotating my wounded, until I realized that I was going to run out of units, then rushed forward at night with my wizards and started killing guys. This worked, but I lost almost all my wizards and loyal troops. If this had not been the last scenario, I would have been very sad. I had a huge number of level 3's (23) and level 2s (10) but it was still close.

8, good mostly because it is hard

The play balance was very good, I was actually afraid going in that I was not strong enough to complete, but I was barely able to do so.

Thanks developers for such a fun game.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.9.7, Normal

5 because of the many high-level enemies

Clear

Fine

Timing my attacks right

I think it’s fine as it is.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Twice I attacked the enemy too soon and took heavy losses as a result. Both times I reloaded from turn 2. The third time I was a bit more careful and managed to win without losing too many units.

Thoughts:
A fitting end for the campaign. The scenario proved more difficult than it seemed at first, because of the large number of high-level enemies. Individually each enemy leader is weak, but their forces join together quickly, complicating things.
Attachments
(66.92 KiB) Downloaded 865 times
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Faello

Post by Faello »

Challenging (Champion), 1.9.6, no saves/reloads, 1080 starting gold

6.<for defeating Dark Queen & her generals with minor losses of your loyal units>

Asheviere & her generals field a strong 1600gp force, mostly of lvl2 and lvl3 units at the beginning of the scenario and receive a minor reinforcements from the +25 villages Dark Queen holds during the battle. There's no high ground on this battlefield, so it's mostly a battle of attrition and player should use his loyal units carefully to not lose any of them <I've lost newly aquired Sir Ruga, that joined me after 23: Test of the Clans
due to bad luck>. It's good to have some nearly levelled up lvl2 or 3 units to hold a line in crucial parts of the battlefield <AI usually don't attack them if it doesn't see a good chance to kill them, which is usually hard to aquire>. Dwarvish guardsmen did a great job in this one, allowing more potent damage dealers to break the Ashievere army in the north and defeat the rest of her battered units in the center. Still losses were significant on both sides, so it's good to have a large amount of gold in this battle.

Finished this one in turn 14/60.

23 losses <1 loyal unit>, 62 kills.

Crystal clear.

Ok, but it could be better considering the fact it's the last scenario in the campaign. Some pictures in the end could be nice too.

Keeping my loyal units and heroes alive.

It's a hard battle, but it's fun to play some meat grinder from time to time, especially when you've decent amount of lvl3 units to throw into it :) Unfortunately, map seems to be pretty dull in design.

Perhaps a bit more varied terrain on the borders of the map. Not everything has to be grassland here.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

1 restart <losing Delfador>.

TOTAL Campaign Losses/Kills: 95 losses, 677 kills
CAMPAIGN SUMMARY: It's a 8+/10 campaign when compared to others, it is very well written, first part of it is near 9.5/10 and scenario design, tale and bonuses (magical items, loyal units) are simply awesome, but second part is inferior in design, especially some of the underground & no.18+ scenarios. Still, it's a very interesting and epic campaign, definitely worth to play :)

Replay attached:
Attachments
Battle for Wesnoth replay, Challenging (Champion) difficulty level, 1.9.6, no saves/reloads
(89.53 KiB) Downloaded 785 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
masterofmind

Post by masterofmind »

Content Feedback wrote:Note: If you didn't know, the final scenario in Heir to the Throne is named "The Battle for Wesnoth." This thread has nothing to do with the overall game - only this one scenario.

1 easy and 1.8.1

2-2 very easy
3-very clear just kill the stupid witch

4 AWESOME!

5 none...

6-8

7- somyhing like reinforcements helping rogue orcs assissting you OR Kalenz having dialogue when/if he kills the witch
Astra

Post by Astra »

Normal, Easy, Hard
5-7
Pretty Clear
It's a nice touch adding the battle quotes with Delfador, Konrad, and Li'sar but maybe a little bit more lines for Ashviere for when your getting close to her or when the other leaders die.

None, sent a bunch of knights as Kamakazies ( Use lance in daylight, if both hit you'll pretty much destroy anything in your way.) That pretty much decimated the other force and while the knights were fighting, I sent A couple more high level units to the general and took his keep with konrad. The only challenge I had was dealing with the haleberdiers and seeing a huge mass of units come after you. I stalled most of them with a couple dwarvish lords and guardsmen.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 7-8
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? I think you could maybe put in a little more creativity into the map design, may be a lookout post or a small area of keep where the enemy gets a higher defense.

Delfador getting ambushed by two royal guards and then Kalenz getting screwed over by some horeseman that the cavalier recruits.
baiy

Post by baiy »

Content Feedback wrote:Note: If you didn't know, the final scenario in Heir to the Throne is named "The Battle for Wesnoth." This thread has nothing to do with the overall game - only this one scenario.

1.8.x medium
3 Considering it is the final battel(4 if you want to preserve as much of your units as possible)...I have enough gold at the beginning of this level(~1000) to recall my high level units. The enemy seems hard to defeat in the beginning but after the first wave of their attack the enemy force shrinked a lot.
clear
Clear. I got slightly guilty when I ask lisa to kill her mother...
To hold against the first wave of enemy's attack. Don't engage the enemy to early otherwise you may lost too much unit. The highest pority at the beginning is to defense. When the enemy was weakened you can carry out the attack.
3 not interesting. I can guess that result much eariler than I enter this scenario.
No idea
Skaithe

Post by Skaithe »

(1) What difficulty level and Wesnoth version have you played the scenario on?
v1.9.7 Champion - Challenging

10 - if you want your good units to survive. If you ready to spend their lives on the final battle though, maybe a 6 or 7 in difficulty. poor Moremirmu, Haldiel, and many others, they shall be missed and they served Wesnoth well.

Very clear. Queenie need die-die.

Liked the different killing blow touches, especially Delfador's. :)

(5) What were your major challenges in completing the scenario?
Holding the line.

I would have made the Queen much, much tougher. As it stands, she was a complete pushover after running through her army.

This campaign was a lot of fun... thank you guys.
Attachments
(68.54 KiB) Downloaded 750 times