Scenario 19b: Swamp of Dread

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

roman_sharp

Re: Scenario Review: (HTTT) The Swamp of Dread

Post by roman_sharp »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Normal, 1.8.3

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Good.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

Defeat first wave of undead and make some sacrifises for that.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Hard to tell.

As people wrote above, maybe it would be good to change storyline a bit to give a player some confidence in Li'sar. As I didn't trust she, I was afraid to give she Scepter and Armor, what could made valuable fighter of her.
shadowblack

Re: Scenario 19b: Swamp of Dread

Post by shadowblack »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.9.7, Normal

4 – definitely more difficult than fighting the orcs, but not much of a challenge if you’re careful with your attacks

Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Fine.

Avoiding losses – the bosses hit hard, and most of the terrain offers very poor defense.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I think it’s fine as it is.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
The first time I started the scenario I underestimated the enemies because most of them were level 0 and level 1. Because of that I did not recall enough units, and ended up in a very difficult situation. I went back to turn 2 and recalled more units.

Thoughts:
Very nice scenario. It provides a chance to use some mermen (I had almost forgotten I had them), gives an item that negates Li’sar’s main weakness, and offers a challenge that is different than the usual.
Attachments
HttT-Swamp_Of_Dread_replay.gz
(68.26 KiB) Downloaded 790 times
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Difficulty and version? Hardest; 1.9.7
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 6
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Fine.
(5) Challenges? Holding a thin line against the enemy, finishing in time.
(6) How fun? (1-10) 8, nice to have a different sort of battlefield
(7) Changes? None.

Screenshot and replay attached. I recalled/recruited 4 Mermen and 4 Gryphons, but later wished I had one more of each, to hold the line on swamp and sand. My forces advanced until turn 5, then held roughly the same line until breaking out on turn 16. The screenshot shows the line on turn 9. I was getting nervous about the time limit, but it worked out fine. All Death Knights were killed first, then the boss Lich.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Attachments
HttT-Swamp_Of_Dread_replay.gz
(95.24 KiB) Downloaded 912 times
DSidious

Post by DSidious »

what bonus does the breast plate offer to the unit that picks it up
naomi

Post by naomi »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Easy and Medium, 1.10.

6 - not too hard, but not so easy that I could fall asleep on my keyboard and still win.

Very clear: kill the lich.

Very clear; not terribly interesting. More on the Death Knights, maybe? Give that audience a tragic backstory. Audiences love tragic backstories. :wink:

Trying to figure out what units to recruit was a bit difficult at first. I ended up with a nice mix of mages and mermen, with my paladins moving as a pair and killing off stragglers. As soon as I got the formula, I could focus on how to use my units, and navigating the terrain was a bit less awkward.

9. I liked having a use for my loyal mermen again, who'd spent the majority of the campaign languishing in my recall list.

The swarms of zombies rocked, but they were very finicky. I saw the giant horde from the blue leader and was pleased - I love fighting ridiculous numbers of low-level enemies - but as soon as I started moving my Arch Mage in their direction, the zombies either retreated or started meandering about like lost preschoolers in a shopping mall. They also didn't attack me very often, preferring to wait until my units could comfortably surround and obliterate them. It was a bit sad.
malloc

Post by malloc »

Medium 1.11.1

Clear

I'm too lazy to read it tbh

None specific to this one really

3 - although that's more the way I played it

None

My strategy was to recruit one round of Gryphon and fly around the edges of the map to the leader and then took him out. During the flying I recalled a druid to heal my heroes whilst they defended the intial keep. I have found that when I get stuck on a certain scenario the tactic of recruiting either horsemen or gryphon to be very effective, almost too effective? This can turn the scenario into a sprint rather than a game of chess. Some scenarios this makes sense but I feel it's been a bit of a lazy way out one or twice more than maybe it could be. Also it means you get a tonne of gold as you invariably finish the scenario in a fraction of the time. Whilst you miss out on levelling up units on the levels where racing it through doesn't work you've got the gold to "invest" in levelling up the troops you want to.
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

Medium Difficulty 1.10.7

Perfectly clear.

This scenario finally gives some actual character development to Li'sar and shows that she may actually be on our side. This is a good bit of plot development but it should have come earlier, the alliance between her and Konrad feels very awkwardly handled up to this point.

There were so many enemy units. Very weak enemy units, but still a ridiculous number that could easily wear my forces down. I had to go majorly into debt to field a large enough force not to get overrun. Also due to an amazing failure in strategy I spent the majority of the map with Konrad and 4 or 5 other units in the starting keep under siege by 10 or 20 walking corpses while the rest of my forces ran around killing the death knights. I'm not sure if that made things better or worse in the long run, but it made things rather interesting.

8. As I mentioned above I got into a rather interesting and amusing scenario while I was playing through the level.

It's fine as it is.
bizulk

Post by bizulk »

Normal. 1.12.1

I return to 3x to turn 9, then to turn 3, to adujst my army (add mermens, gryphon)

Very clear.

I wished the liched said somthing as our mage new it. Why did he become a liche, what about the lords he manage. There are only guesses at the end of the scenario. Taht would have been an opportunity to complete the understanding of the undead world.

don't use a to coostly and heavy army.
I split it in two : one with lisar and the elve to kill the lords, the other one with Konrad and themage to handle the massive force.
As the other player abobe, I got into debt into making a sufficient army in order to not be overrun. I got two mermen with trident that were useful. 2 healer for each army ( and one white mage to heal poison).
I made a wall a the west in front of the river in order to have advantage on the assault.

7 Like others one. I didn't realize that mermen would help in swamp. there was a wiki page that helped a lot.
even I there was a lot of weak ennmies, I was really worrying as there number was growing at each turn. Things got easy after killink two lords.

More dialogs beetween good and bads, and more about this liche.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Played on 1.12.5 Hero (Normal) 568 gold

Not much to say about this one.

Scenario strategy: Have two groups, merfolk backed by a shyde & a gryphon for taking out the northeastern and eastern death knights. Use the loyal Mage of Light, a Red mage, and some level 1's to support my Heroes in going after the western and southwestern death knights. Have forces go after the lich when the rest were defeated.
Attachments
HttT-Swamp_Of_Dread_replay_T30-1V2.gz
1.12.5 Normal
(131.79 KiB) Downloaded 677 times
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg »

1.12.5, medium.

6. It was harder than it looks. At first I thought that 2 keeps worth of recalls will be enough because one enemy used only corpses and level 2 units were very rare, but at the 3rd turn it became obvious that they're capable of walking over me with their numbers so I brought out more recalls. Even then it was difficult to ensure that everyone stays protected (though I think I've managed to keep everyone from being at serious risk).

Crystal.

Very good. I like the bit about the lich as it adds some history and I like hearing Li'sar speak about her views. Pretty much the same things I said in review of 'Snow Plains' apply here.

Keeping my units alive, keeping track of time of day (I rarely pay attention to it but it was important in this scenario) and dealing with so many units at once. Also, coming to terms with having to use my high level units to kill enemies which is really a waste of XP. All in all, this was a bit like 'The Valley of Death' lite.

6. A nice challenge and a better map than in older versions but slightly stressful because I was worried about losing my units for the first few turns. I'm also not a fan of sands and swamps but it's just that kind of scenario.

Not sure honestly. The things that bother me are simply a matter of taste.

Other things:
-starting gold: 581
-no recruits
-recalls(15): Arch Mage (loyal), 2x Steelclad, Druid, Hero (loy), 2x Ranger, Gryph rider, Priestess (loy), Netcaster (loy), Mer Warrior (loy, trident), Red & Silver & 2x White Mage
-on turn 2 Konrad leaves the keep but a turn later while looking at the status table I realize that I'll have to use more units so Konrad returns; my units cross the river for villages
-around turn 4 I've realized that all armies will probably converge at nightime so I should defend- my units on N return across the river; a turn later my units cross the river again because the corpses won't reach them anyways, they're too slow... I'm being terribly indecisive :oops:
-rotating my units to shelter those at low HP, exposing those with high HP and making healers do their thing; trying to get XP to those that need it; on a side note, I freakin' love Silver mages, they always come in handy
-around 8th turn, it seems that the worst part's over though there's still some work to do; Silver is in the swamp but he should be able to make it; I was hoping he'd lure out the enemy leader- it doesn't work; eventually I try to kill him and fail, leaving him on low HP- if he's the suicidal type, he could take a risk and try killing my Silver; fortunately, he has some sense so he uses his crossbow on gryphon
-turn 11: my Arch Mage kills the 1st Death Knight (the closest one)
-turn 13: my Red Mage kills the 2nd Death Knight (the eastern one); he drops the armor
-turn 14: my White Mage kills the 3rd Death Knight (the southwestern one); Konrad takes the Void Armour
-turn 16: my Steelclad kills the 4th Death Knight (the northeastern one)
-turn 17: my Arch Mage kills the Lich which had been weakened by the loss of Death Knights and by my teleporting Silver Mage
-turns taken: 17/30
-end: 395 gold, 26/26 villages
-carryover: 304
-no losses, no reloads
-advancements(7): Steelclad->Lord, Ranger->Avenger, Druid->Shyde, Gryph Rider->Gryph Master, Red M.->Silver M., White M.->MoL, Mer Warrior->Hoplite
-XP: Ranger (~1/4), Netcaster (~1/2), Hero (~2/3), Arch M. & Priestess (~90%), Steelclad & White M. close
-dmg dealt: +2%
-dmg taken: -4%
Attachments
HttT-Swamp_of_Dread_replay.gz
(109.8 KiB) Downloaded 732 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.1, Champion (Challenging)

Clear.

Clear.

None.

-
Attachments
HttT-Swamp of Dread replay.gz
(66.09 KiB) Downloaded 463 times
Poison

Post by Poison »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.14.7 Challenging, 519 gold.

7 using land units, it's probably easier if you use initiates.

Very clear.

Clear.

Surviving.

5, nothing special.

None. I didn't like the reduction of the Lich's health though.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

No, but I lost a Paladin.
Attachments
HttT-Swamp Of Dread replay Poison.gz
(75.28 KiB) Downloaded 493 times