Scenario 19a: Snow Plains

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Arthur Archnix

Re: Scenario Review: (HTTT) Snow Plains

Post by Arthur Archnix »

Same as unocab. Couldn't find the sword. Send griffins to every village on the map. Send Konrad to every village on left and in north. Ran out of turns before I could have him visit them all.
vicza

Post by vicza »

But who has said you the sword is in a village? It's not, it's under the big tree, south from the enemy's keep.
Trucidation

Post by Trucidation »

scott wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.4.6
scott wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
3, easy, mostly just tedious since many units walk slower through snow. Getting Konrad to the tree where the sword was a bigger issue, the enemy - as other posters have observed - was pretty wimpy. After killing most of his fast-moving mounted units, he just sat there and pushed his remaining troops around the castle.
scott wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Pretty clear.
scott wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
It was okay, but I always like more story.
scott wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Units move too darn slowly. I ended up starting my attack with gryphons since they arrived at the front together with my elven mage/priest units.
scott wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
6, it wasn't bad, but the slow movement was annoying especially since the enemy hardly did anything so there was no urgency to the scenario. It just took a few villages and then, surprisingly, pulled back. That was weird, considering it had a bunch of nice fast-moving mounted units that could've given my strung-along army some trouble had the AI decided to go on the offensive.
scott wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Why's the sword's location fixed? Is it like in a shrine or something? Perhaps you might want to give it to the enemy leader to wield, considering that any unit of ours may pick up the sword. At least there'd be some justification for killing him rather than the get-out-of-my-way brand of genocide we've been practising.

Also, turning on fog of war might make this map more challenging. And, dare I say it, since this IS basically another artifact-hunting expedition, this scenario would also be another nice candidate for using the random map generator. At least blundering around in the snow isn't as debilitating as blundering around in the caves.
Matija

Post by Matija »

Hi everyone :)

This is my first post here on this forum; I've only recently found out about this game and have been hooked ever since. I'm still playing the first campaign, which makes me a n00b, so take this with a grain of salt.
scott wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
1) Easy, v1.6.
2) 1 - I'm playing on easy and saveloading while I learn (shame on me).
3) Clear.
4) Not so clear. I had no idea I had to search for the sword.
5) No challenges. I just walked through it.
6) 2 - I made the mistake of recalling some mages, which lagged behind and were never useful. It was just tedious.
7) Add some grassland here and there for faster movement?

I never found the sword. I thought it would be a reward after killing the leader; when that didn't happen, I thought it would be in the next scenario, then the one after, then I finally realized that I've missed the sword somewhere and that I'd never get it.

Went back, replayed the mission, haven't found the sword. Figured it might be a bug.

Spent time googling. Couldn't find any relevant information. Tried using the search function on this board, it told me to wait... Eventually through some combination of keywords I found out that the sword is
Spoiler:
I wasn't prepared to go back two or three scenarios so I got the sword in an older save, saw what it did to the save file, and hacked my latest one to include it. Not something I'm that proud of, but...

The dialogue really needs to be clear about the location of the sword, or it should at least be spotted by units nearby. I had one on the adjacent hex while originally playing.
dELFador

Post by dELFador »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
medium. 1.7
very clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
very interesting, especially the sword part.
deciding who should take the sword.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
none.

my strategy was to have 3 gryphon riders and one gryphon master go village grabbing and sword finding, then have a shyde (once again surrounded by elites) go for the boss.
Cornuthaum

Post by Cornuthaum »

Medium, 1.6.5.

5 - Baseline. The convenient patches of forest right outside the enemy's keep were helpful with levelling my druids and enchantresses.

Go forth and kill the leader. Not hard to get.

1.) "You whose deep eyes hide but a vacuum" - Have I mentioned how much I love it when Li'Sar snarks at people?
2.) Serious hate going on between mother dearest and the princess.
3.) Serious hate going on between Konrad and the Queen, too. He has a goal, and it involves some stabbing.

Pulling off Operation KFC, my title for levelling about half a dozen gryphon riders to level two. Fortunately, flying units do away with the slowness of frozen ground.

7 - not too long, not too short, not too hard, not too easy. And a perfect opportunity to level units.

A few more villages, but otherwise it's ok.
BubbleScreen

Post by BubbleScreen »

Medium, 1.6

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario?
1 - Easiest scenario of the campaign

Kill them!

Backstory = always good. For newbies, someone should mention that the Sword might not be in a village, but frankly
Spoiler:
Feeding experience to my shamans and rogues.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is?
2 - Gryphons flying around add fun, but it's a slog through the snow and the opponent is worthless.

Give us a touch of grassland. Maybe the vengeful spirit of that Elvish general still haunts the Sword so picking it up gives you a couple of Wraiths/etc. to deal with.
shadowblack

Re: Scenario 19b: Snow Plains

Post by shadowblack »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.9.7, Normal

1. Would’ve been higher if I had tried to avoid losses.

Clear

Fine

None, really.

5 due to the next point, else would’ve been 6-7

Konrad is too slow on snow, and so it takes forever for him to reach the sword. Because of that I had to spend several turns just looking at the enemy leader, without killing him, which was really annoying. Make it so that if a non-leader unit finds the sword first he brings the sword to Konrad, OR move the sword location a bit closer to Konrad’s keep.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No

Thoughts:
Snow has never been my favorite terrain, but it provides a different kind of challenge – most units are slow and have horrible defense on snow, which are the two things I took advantage of to destroy the orcs without much trouble.
Attachments
HttT-Snow_Plains_replay.gz
(58.24 KiB) Downloaded 754 times
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Skaithe

Post by Skaithe »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.9.7 Champion - Challenging

Very clear.

Li'sar is really quite an insolent little thing. So much for respecting your elders. The story of the sword was cool... just Li'sar really bothers me. :P

No major challenges... the hiding spot was fairly obvious.

I would make Li'sar not be a little insolent wretch who talks of eyes and vacuums. :P
Attachments
(47.89 KiB) Downloaded 842 times
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Easy 1.10.2
100%
I liked learning about kalenz' past, and decided to give the sword to lisar. I figured if she was only a melee fighter, might as well have a devastating melee attack to boast.
Dat snow.
'7
None
Fate is against me.
lefuet

Post by lefuet »

v 1.11.8

Bug: if the Battle Princess Li'sar takes the sword nothing happens. (the sword replaces the sword attack, but L. has a saber.)

a quick fix is changing a line in file: httt_utils.cfg
to: range=melee
but would have to also disallow paladins and other units with 2 melee attacks from taking the sword.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

lefuet wrote:v 1.11.8

Bug: if the Battle Princess Li'sar takes the sword nothing happens. (the sword replaces the sword attack, but L. has a saber.)

a quick fix is changing a line in file: httt_utils.cfg
to: range=melee
but would have to also disallow paladins and other units with 2 melee attacks from taking the sword.
Thanks for the report, it's fixed now so it should work in 1.11.9.
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

Medium Difficulty 1.10.7

The objective was clear. It wasn't entirely obvious how to get the sword, but its not required so it doesn't have to be.

The dialog was serviceable.

There were really none. The snow slowing my units down were a bit annoying, but at pretty much every point in the scenario my army outnumbered the enemy's and the only reason it wasn't made of significantly stronger units was I quickly noticed the enemy was so nonthreatening that I recruited a bunch of low level units to farm more xp.

2. The scenario forces you to slowly trudge across the map, without every producing the smallest bit of threat to make things interesting.

Massively buff up the enemy.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Re: Scenario 19a: Snow Plains

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Played on 1.12.5 Hero (Normal) 568 gold

Not much to say about this one.

Scenario Strategy: First I drew up a list of where the sword might be. Since there was no special scenery in use on the map, considered notable terrain/terrain formations it might be at. One stood out as the most likely. Deployed the elvish angels again, gryphons for scouting, and a few units (6mp or greater) to level.
Attachments
HttT-Snow_Plains_replay-T39-1V0.gz
1.12.5 Normal
(114.12 KiB) Downloaded 693 times
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg »

1.12.5, medium.

3.5. It wasn't much trouble despite the enemy having high level units.

Perfectly understandable.

Very good and history bits are always appreciated ^^. Li'sar is snarky but I must admit that I don't dislike it. I also like that we finally hear about her view on things but it would be better if it were spread out across scenarios. Of course, that would fall under 'flesh out Li'sar's character' and is not really a problem specific to this scenario but I thought I should mention it.

High level units are not much of a challenge considering their low defense. As long as you ensure that you have initiative, it's easy to deal with them and get heaps of XP. The only difficult bit is when you approach the enemy camp because his units don't have enough space to disperse as much so you have to deal with a lot of powerful units at once which is a bit tricky.

7. Extra points for having snow and lots of XP but minus points for slightly uninteresting battle and a relatively bland map.

Snow looks very nice on maps but this one is very big and has very little diversity so it ends up being somewhat bland. Throw in some ice or deep lakes. Maybe ice that you can fall through (like the expanding lava in The Sceptre of Fire scenario). I think that would leave a bigger impression on the player.

All sorts of stuff:
-starting gold: 581
-recruits(1): Horseman
-recalls(5): Druid, White Mage, Elvish Ranger, Elvish Rider, Gryphon Rider
-throughout the scenario I was very careful with unit positioning so I wouldn't lose anyone due to low defense; if some units were left exposed, it was because they had enough HP to survive even if all hits land
-turn 16 was a bit tricky but it was also a great example of how low defence can be exploited- I managed to easily pick off a few units that would've made my life hell if they survived a turn longer
-turn 17: Kalenz gets the sword (location was obvious from the get-go); I make what I consider to be my only blunder in this scenario: exposing my knight on snow to a troll warrior; I miscalculated (2x 18 is not 26!) and left the knight there thinking it couldn't die as it had 31 HP. That being said, he survived and advanced due to XP gained from that exchange.
-turn 19: White mage kills enemy leader and levels
-turns taken: 19/40
-end: 593 gold, 15/15 villages
-carryover: 380
-no losses, no reloads
-advancements(7): White mage->MoL, Druid->Shyde, Ranger->Avenger, Rider->Outrider, Gryph rider->Gryph Master, Horseman->Knight->Grand Knight (this one I'm especially proud of 8) )
-XP: everyone involved in this scenario ended up at their final level
-dmg dealt: 0%
-dmg taken: -3%
-in retrospect, I could've milked this scenario for more XP considering that the enemy has high income even without villages but I should've thought of that in the beggining. I'm not going to replay it just for that because I already have more units than I'll need anyways. Furthermore, this scenario is awesome for leveling horsemen- their charge will almost always hit and low defense isn't a problem- if you soften the enemy enough for a 1 charge kill, he'll die before managing to retaliate; even if they're hit, they can survive blows from trolls with their relatively high HP and impact resistance. That might be very useful for incoming scenarios. If I decide to go on from this one, I might even replay it to get more horsemen, but I'll see how other routes go first. I have my eyes on the general on the river route.
Attachments
(93.62 KiB) Downloaded 690 times