Scenario 18: A Choice Must be Made

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mabeenot

Re: Scenario Review: (HTTT) A Choice Must be Made

Post by mabeenot »

(1) Normal, Wesnoth 1.6.2

(2) 3

(3) Very clear

(4) Worked fine for me

(5) Moving to the northern leader is slow in the snow, which is why we have gryphons, silver mages, and dwarfs.

(6) 4

(7) The north and middle parts of the map look great. The south looks choppy and artificial. Maybe the undead keep could be surrounded by swamp which transitions to layers of sand and dirt as you get further from the keep. Bridges could provide speedy access for the chocobones (and the player if they go that direction).
BigCheese

Post by BigCheese »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
medium, 1.7.3

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
2 - enemy has few, scattered units

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
clear

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
none, perhaps placing steafast dwarfs before charging undead cavalry

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
1 - enemies are weak (in numbers), map looks plain and empty

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
give the enemy more base income, improve the "look" of the map
Cornuthaum

Post by Cornuthaum »

Medium, 1.6.5

2 - REally, REALLY easy map. Also, BLESSED GLORIOUS SUNLIGHT. I hate cave maps.

Perfectly clear. Kill either leader, take branching story path.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Li'Sar and Kalenz snarking at each other is worth every second of it :D

Not getting my squishy healer units murdered by Chocobones (and how I laughed when I saw those the first time... "some ostrich-like creature" indeed) and levelling up my dwarves even more.

8 - 1.) it's not a cave map. 2.) the map layout allows for several delayed holding actions with elves in the woods while I went after the orc leader in the north. 3.) I got to use my dwarves, and I love using those awesome little buggers.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Easy. SVN 44063

Extremely Easy. The first rush of 4 or 5 Chocobones was hard to take without somebody dying, but easy to dispatch. But after that, the Undead leader had no money, and only recruited one or two more units. Defeating 5 - 7 units really doesn't seem sufficient for a scenario this deep into HttT.

Make it challenging. Maybe it is if you go after the orcs, i dunno.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
BubbleScreen

Post by BubbleScreen »

Medium, 1.6

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario?
2 - Gryphons allow you to dispense with the enemy of your choice, even if you by some chance don't have silver mages. Your main characters can pretty easily handle the undead without much help, thanks to the Scepter, Delfador, and Kalenz's magical attack.

No problem, but I didn't even know about the Cliffs until reading about HttT after the fact. Is that intended or was I just inattentive?

Li'Sar is great.

Distracting the Chocobones with Gryphons? Winning quickly to get maximum gold.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is?
2 + 1 for Chocobones.

Overhaul the terrain - the "snow path" is hardly the efficient way through the mountains, so maybe downgrade the path the Orcs take to Hills. Make the bottom look more foreboding and swampy.
roman_sharp

Post by roman_sharp »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Normal, 1.8.3

3, easy as for profile of my army and chosen enemy (undead).

Clear

Good.

None

Perhaps add some additional words about the choice, what awaits ahead. With my army profile, I head no good reason to choose the orcs as enemy.
GagarinGambit

Re: Scenario 18: A Choice Must be Made

Post by GagarinGambit »

Now, I didn't actually played this. I saw from the forum campaign index that there's a third outcome, so I looked into it. Considering that I've played Heir to the Throne in the past, and that I find it easy (even on hard), obviously I chose the third option - the one I hadn't try and which seems to be the most difficult.

BUT there's actually nothing about a third option in the dialogue or the objectives, it's more like an easter egg. There should be at least a hint that following the river may be feasible.
Linux. Space technology.
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

GagarinGambit wrote:BUT there's actually nothing about a third option in the dialogue or the objectives, it's more like an easter egg.
That's intended. The third option is also being refined at the moment (See Scenario and Campaign Development).
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Tis

Post by Tis »

Newbie here, on my first time through my first campaign. Enjoying the game very much so far, but this scenario could use some work.

1.8.5 - medium

0 - I didn't recruit or recall at all.

5-clear enough.

People mentioned clever banter from Lisar, I didn't notice much. Is it just the beginning stuff or did I miss some triggers during play?

Timing the arrival of the Chocobones so they they didn't all arrive the same turn... that was the closest thing to a challenge.

3- Far too easy, only fun came from trying to do it without any extra units... but even that was too easy.

Ok, so I've been sort of following the walkthrough so I knew this would be somewhat easy. So I decided to try it without recruiting or recalling anything. I only reloaded once when I missplaced Delfendor (I'd not noticed a Chocobone that had gone a more southern route.) Anyway, wiped out the measily army, rested everyone up in villages over night, took out the undead leader on turn 15. Since there were no followup attackers, the complete lack of healers wasn't a problem. This scenario needs some major beefing up.
Faello

Post by Faello »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Challenging (Champion), 1.9.6, no saves/reloads, 460 starting gold

0. <if you're going for 19C: The Cliffs of Thoria>

I've recalled 1 loyal merman and send him to the East to trigger the river road choice. Kalenz had to change his underwear, but the decision was made - our party left Wesnoth realm and travelled towards the Arkan-thoria :eng: Finished in turn 6/27 to get max of bonus gold pieces.

0 losses, 1 kill 8)

River road choice should be on the scenario objectives list, even if it's a "hard way".

Well, it looked ok, but if player is interested in 19C: The Cliffs of Thoria, it's better for him to just treat it as an interlude.

No major challenges.

Can't really rate it.

No changes are required.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

No.

Replay attached:
Attachments
HttT-A_Choice_Must_Be_Made_replay.gz
A Choice Must be Made replay, Challenging (Champion) difficulty level, 1.9.6, no saves/reloads
(59.05 KiB) Downloaded 756 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

Technically started in 1.9.4, Normal (I just saved the game after the starting dialog), finished (actually played) in 1.9.7, Normal

2, but only because I had to fight on multiple fronts at once.

Clear

Fine.

Not losing any units

No changes are needed.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Just my own stupidity that got a few valuable units killed.

Thoughts:
This scenario seems to be a breather episode where you can gain some experience in preparation for future scenarios. It works fine – at least as long as you have enough starting gold.
Attachments
(58.55 KiB) Downloaded 806 times
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

Technically started in 1.9.4, Normal (I just saved the game after the starting conversation), finished (actually played) in 1.9.7, Normal

Clear

Fine.

None

Give the undead some extra gold when the player’s forces get close to the undead leader.

A mistake combined with some bad luck got a unit needlessly killed.

Thoughts:
This time I chose to fight the undead instead of the orcs. The result was a really BORING fight. The river is deep and the orcs have no units that can pass through deep water, so they needed a long time to reach the only bridge. In the mean time the undead got annihilated. By the time the first orcs walked across the river the undead leader’s HP were below 50%.

On their own the undead were too weak. I could probably defeat them without recruiting if I had tried.
Attachments
(54.56 KiB) Downloaded 795 times
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

Technically started in 1.9.4, Normal (I just saved the game after the starting conversation), finished (actually played) in 1.9.7, Normal

Clear

Fine.

None.

In this case 1 – there’s hardly any time to have fun

Maybe add a sea monster that needs to be defeated before you can continue to the next scenario.

Nope.

Thoughts:
I recalled a single quick merman and sent him toward the end of the river. This allowed me to end the scenario in just 5 turns and get a nice, big, early finish bonus. Not much else to say.

Replay attached, in case anyone wants proof how quickly this scenario can be finished.
Attachments
HttT-A_Choice_Must_Be_Made2_replay.gz
(51.92 KiB) Downloaded 835 times
Skaithe

Post by Skaithe »

1.9.7 Champion - Challenging

Clear enough.

Actually, I have a kind of big problem with the dialog here. I have a problem with Kalenzs taking crap from Li'sar, she's just a child compared to him. I also don't like his subservient tone to Konrad. "My Lord" this, "My Prince" that. In my opinion, this should be omitted entirely. Kalenz is an Elven hero, who does not pay allegiance to any Human king... he is simply helping them because of necessity and doing the right thing, no?

The fork in the road aspect was very cool though.

None, I would've liked to have seen faster units from the enemy so they would nip at your heels as you went in the opposite direction.

Noted above.
Attachments
(51.72 KiB) Downloaded 800 times
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Difficulty and version? Hardest; 1.9.7
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 3
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Okay.
(5) Challenges? Chocobones.
(6) How fun? (1-10) 3
(7) Changes? In the campaign to this point, this scenario is the only one I think really needs changes. The end game is super boring when fighting the undead. At least have the Death Knight make a run for it or something. Maybe put a huge body of water north of the undead castle, forcing you to go all the way around, maybe giving the orcs a chance to catch up.

Screenshot and replay attached. I chose to go for the undead, since it seemed to make for the toughest next scenario. The Cliffs of Thoria has been nerfed to be really easy, so I wanted the undead swamp scenario instead. But the undead in the current scenario weren't much of a challenge. The screenshot was made at the start of turn 7, by which time all undead had been killed except the leader:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Attachments
(64.09 KiB) Downloaded 840 times