Scenario 18: A Choice Must be Made

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 18: A Choice Must be Made

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
mega

Post by mega »

(1) medium, 1.1.2
(2) 6
(3) quite
(4) ok
(5) the hard thing was to get gold. Also to get a strong enough army of level 2's.
(6) 7
(7) It's ok.

After a few tries of recruiting some dwarves and fighting it out in the mountains and not getting the experience for the units I wanted to level and also much little gold I switched to the following strategy.

Recruit only three griffons and send them out to take villages without fighting. Meanwhile Konrad sits in the middle watching the gold being gathered. When the enemies are close enough recruit a small force of units to level up and fight the not too strong opposition mostly in the forest. When the turn limit is near take the village closest to the orcish leader with a griffon and then step through that with a single silver mage who with the help of the three birds finishes off the leader.
zol

Post by zol »

medium, 1.1.7

I actually forgot I had gryphons at first, having been underground ever since they hatched.

I basically did the same as above, but going south.

Anyway, my main observation is -
How is it that Li'sar has what she came for? (The first time I played the previous scenario, Konrad picked it up)
Konrad gave her the sceptre?
There might have been such a promise earlier that slipped my mind, but really?
I don't get how that is even an option considering the importance of Konrad obtaining it, and not Ashievere (or her heir), as the whole point of their current quest.

There is a vague murmur of such a promise in the back of my mind, but it can't have caught my attention at the time.
("We need to work together to survive" - "Give me the Sceptre of Fire" - "Okay" - "Here's 300 gold for you" - "Awesome! Thanks.")
It is certainly the sort of thing that needs emphasis.
finite, infinite, definite
fyo

Post by fyo »

medium 1.1.11 (1.2rc1)

Crystal.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Quite good. Nice "fork" scenario.

None.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Nothing really comes to mind. Overall, it's quite a good episode. The choice is clear and the map has a nice feel to it. Maybe the river could be made more "dangerous" somehow, in keeping with the "it's too dangerous to cross bit.
cph

Post by cph »

1) Medium; 1.2.4
2) 1
3) Clear
4) Good; I liked having the choice of routes.
5) none
6) 5 - I always like fighting undead, even if this one is a walkover.
7) The undead commander could be stronger; maybe have him own all the villages in the swamp at the start, which would give him a bit more gold to fight back with.
vicza

Cliffs of Thoria

Post by vicza »

The index thread is locked somehow, so I'll ask here: is there any thread about the third choice in this scenario? I mean, scenario 19c_Cliffs_of_Thoria and the following one 20b_Underground_Channels?
SumnerH

Re: Scenario Review: (HTTT) A Choice Must be Made

Post by SumnerH »

I'm filling these out having done Elves Beseiged-A Choice Must Be Made on "medium" difficulty, and I'm following the advice to rank 10=hardest scenario in the campaign (Seige of Elsenfar), 1 = easiest (Elves Besieged)

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Medium, Wesnoth version 1.4
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) [1]
3. Turned out way easier than I was expecting (I went south).
Very clear, though there were no hints as to what the difference between going north/south would be.
A choice is neat, but I'd like some more story/plot differention between the two (some recommendations or guesses or something about what to do, or at least some flavor/descriptive differetiation)
(5) What were your major challenges in completing the scenario?
None, really. Sludging through swamp.
6. It's okay, but nothing special.
Distinguish the options, give a reason to make a decision. Also I like that northern approach to the orc leader; looks fun, I'll have to try it some time.
theruler

Post by theruler »

1.4.1 win build - Normal

5 - I never used griffons till this scenario, and at lvl1 they are a little weak against orcish warriors. So I aimed to the north!

Crystal clear.

Very interesting! The dialogues are good and well presented. Very nice the dangerous river part.

try to level up some grifffons, while trying to waste as not much as I could. Movements was meticulous to the hex! (wait undeads and orcs in the snow)

9 - I liked the choice a lot!

Make the river a little more dangerous as I did expect. Introducing River monsters or something that could engage the player while he waits to meet the other faction.
Give to the AI more gold. At least to generate a full second wave.
The first attempt I used this scenario to level up my lvl2 units (I never recalled lvl3 units), and 6 lvl 1 griffons. And I've lost only 2 of them!

The middle-to-north part of the map is... AWESOME!!! You couldn't make it better. Really.
The south insted is a little... austere. Poorly attractive... ok, I know that IT IS the way it was intended... but...
I think it could be nice to add some vegetation and/or a road (without vary the initial strategy a lot) to make the transition from forest to swamp more gradual.
Chuck Norris' watch displays only an hour. Yours.
zyx

Post by zyx »

(1) Medium - 1.4.1
(2) 1
(3) Clear
(4) Clear and interesting
(5) No defeated units.
(6) 5
(7)
Buddy Jimm

Post by Buddy Jimm »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

Medium, 1.3.17

2. Is it just me or did this map lose some of its bite? In the old days I used to have to worry about wraiths and the like catching up to me if I went north. Gryphons have an easy time making distractions for either enemy, so it's not very difficult to go either way.

Clear.

WANT ME TO FRY YOU, ELF!?!?

None.

7. The map requires some forethought without being too complex, making it a great first map for learning your Gryphon Riders (finally, something that can keep up with Wolf Riders!). The chocobones are a nice surprise, too.

Not much.
After death, the doctor.
Trucidation

Post by Trucidation »

@vicza (yes, I know this reply is nearly a year late...)
I had no idea those existed until I browsed the campaign index here. I can't see how you'd go about getting the third choice either since which choice you get basically depends on killing either one of two leaders in this scenario.
scott wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.4.6
scott wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
4, fairly easy. The swampy terrain seemed surprisingly open though, I expected the terrain to be more mixed, more of a hindrance. As it is the undead simply rush through nice large paths of non-swampy tiles. Therefore I braced for a rush... only to discover that they were far too easily distracted by gryphon riders sent on village-stealing distraction.
scott wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Pretty clear: choose between one enemy leader to nail.
scott wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
It was okay. I'd add more flavour text though, maybe have one or more units speak on the pros and cons of making each particular choice.
scott wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The only main problem was not having the fast-moving undead chocobones get lucky with multiple hits.
scott wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
6. Not that it was bad, but it turned out surprisingly easy, even despite my initial fears that the undead would overwhelm my rear lines. True, a handful of chocobones did catch up to me, but I left my dwarves as the rearguard so they quickly made mincemeat (er... bone stew?) out of them. The hills weren't as bad as I feared, and the elven mage/priest type units seemed to ignore the hills altogether - are these guys really fliers?
scott wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I'd make the swampy terrain more varied instead of large contiguous chunks of tiles here and there, although that may slow down the undead rush even more. It doesn't help that sending some gryphons southwest and then having them sneak eastwards to steal villages throws the undead into even more confusion. Seriously, I had them running around back and forth for quite a few turns.
scott wrote:Questions 8 and 9 are no longer necessary thanks to Rusty the programmer and stats.wesnoth.org.
Ok... I'm guessing this is where you guys decided to ditch the the third choice? :|
ScouSin

Post by ScouSin »

(1) The middle difficulty on version 1.4.7.
(2) 2. I went for the undead.
(3) Fully clear, nothing was confusing.
(4) As predicted, Li'sar demanded the scepter, yatta yatta. Nothing new or interesting, but it was cool to see Kalenz get some more spotlight (it still isn't entirely clear why he's with the party, aside from being "along for the ride".)
(5) There really weren't any challenges. I definitely recalled too many units though.
(6) 6. Quite typical scenario.
(7) I'd make it a little more necessary to fight both forces if you go after the undead.
Rapturous

Post by Rapturous »

Normal, 1.4.7.

3. It was somewhat challenging, as I went for the orcs, and the undead had many units that could chase after me, like wraiths and chocobones. However, the orcs didn't have a very powerful offense, and seemed to run past me for some reason. Why? I didn't understand that. It made going for their leader quite easy.

Perfectly.

I have to agree with the above review--Li'sar is predictable, and not too inventive. That's not necessarily bad, but maybe make her dialogue a little more flavorful. More personality there. I also liked how Kalenz got some dialogue in that didn't solely consist of "Quit needing rest, humans." I liked the way the two options were constructed, and it gave me a sense of the geography and where I was. So, very nice job there. (You folks are doing a great job of creating a world for the player--I feel like it's a living, breathing continent.)

The orcs flanked me from behind. I had some stragglers in the back that needed help from my orc friends. However, I found leaving Konrad behind (he grabbed the scepter) to be extraordinarily helpful, because he could basically destroy anything in one bout. 22-4? Puh-lease.

By BfW standards, I'd say it was a 4. The scenario was just too easy and short. The snow slowed me down, which prolonged the battled, but actual gameplay was short. The orcs were weak, and the undead who caught up didn't pose much of a threat. So, it was just a quick and easy hack-n-slash. Keep in mind, I don't throw my level 3's around a lot. I had mostly level 2 elf and human units, and some level 1 dwarves. So, even with that, this was a pretty simple mission.

Make it more challenging. Specifically, fix the AI so that the orcs don't rush through the mountains and go for my encampment. Why do they do that? It doesn't make sense to me. They should be targetting me, right? They certainly weren't fighting the undead (which I also found strange). Give Li'sar some more lively, less predictable dialogue.
dELFador

Post by dELFador »

medium. 1.7
1. maybe it was luck, but my 7 gryphon riders were enough to kill the undead boss, I had to save-load to beat the orc first. (I always hated swamps and undead more than orcs and mountains. )
very clear.
quite interesting.
as above, refraining from killing the undead boss.
maybe make it a defeat boss and move Konrad to a hex (northwest for the orcs, and southwest for the swamps), that way my units can get the exp from killing a boss without affecting my choice.
CountPenguin

Post by CountPenguin »

I'm not going to rate everything about it, because I haven't played for real yet, but I think it's a little too easy (yes I was playing on easy, but it shouldn't be this easy).

I didn't recruit/recall any units, and I managed to win using a level two Li'sar (w/ scepter) to kill the northern leader (no debugging, or saving and reloading or anything...). I attached a replay. Now I'll go play it again for real this time
Attachments
HttT-A_Choice_Must_Be_Made_replay.gz
(42.56 KiB) Downloaded 1013 times
CountPenguin

Currently working on Siege of Soradoc. Except not anymore, but you can take over if you want!