Eastern Invasion

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dsa

Bug in Evacuation

Post by dsa »

I think I found a bug in Evacuation: Just for fun I blew up the bridge, while my heroes (Gweddry, Owaec, Dacyn) were still on the north side of the river. Every hero was killed and said his corresponding death message. I expected of course, that I would have lost this scenario now, but to my big surprise I won it and the campaign continued normally. At the beginning of the next scenario Gweddry was "reborn" as a lieutenant. Dacyn and Owaec were still gone, but I could have played the scenario as usual.

In the attached save file you just have to move the engineer to the signpost, to reproduce the described situation.

I played version 1.8.4. I know this is not the most recent version, but I didn't read something about this problem before, so I thought it is still relevant.
Attachments
EI-Evacuation_Turn_5.gz
(46.33 KiB) Downloaded 1599 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Eastern Invasion

Post by zookeeper »

Thanks for the report, it should be fixed in the next (development) release. I'm not porting the change to 1.8 since it's unlikely there will be another 1.8 release.
line

Post by line »

I got two issues. Honestly I didn't read through the whole thread, so it might have been noticed before. It's just about the story, no influences on the gameplay.

1) In "The Council" Dacyn speaks about Ravan's and his past. He says: "In all the land, there were two magi of light...". Well, in the first scenario Dacyn is just a white mage, so this can't be correct.

2) In the epilogue Konrad is a general, no matter if he promoted to Grand Marshal in weldyn under attack or not.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

“Captured”
scenario results into an instant loss (maybe because there are no units on side 1)

“Mal-Ravanal`s Capital”
position of a guard is messed up → prisoner at 34,1 and his guard at 37,11
revolting_peasant

Post by revolting_peasant »

I have a couple of nitpicks:

* There are two scenarios whose names are almost identical, and do not communicate that much other than their location: "The Outpost" and "The Northern Outpost". I would consider changing the name of at least one of them, infusing them with different/additional meaning. Say, maybe "A skeletal surprise" for the first scenario (since there are skeletons, and the output forces are kind of skeletal, and it ryhmes). And/or for the Northern Outpost - something like "Northbound reunion" or "Domestic Delays" (again, rhymes, and the outlaws hide in villages which look like domiciles, and the retreat north is delayed by Owaec's local-domain issues).

* Playing "two paths", it seems to be not much more than a filler replacement for a dialog box for Gweddry to choose between moving West or North. I had a feeling like I was kind of wasting my time with that one. Now, I could very well be wrong, but I would like to get a better feel of it being a meaningful scenario (if it is that).

* It doesn't seem reasonable for Gweddry, a commander of an outpost, to be a mere Level-1 Sergeant. Similarly, as line suggests - how come Dacyn, an old and experienced "Mage of Light" actually starts out as a Level 2 White Mage? I understand there are balance issues, but still, at least for Dacyn you could have made him a weakened custom Level-3 character (like Delfador is not just a Grand Mage in HttT).
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Hi yeah I'm back ok.

I think Greddry is fine as a Sergeant. They wouldn't send a high ranking officer to guard an outpost. For Dacyn I could make a custom unit with some more flavor to it than the current White Mage and MoL. I'll think about it.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

I've found a fatal bug in the 2nd scenario (1.13.11).
Gweddry exists but he is invisble, can't be moved and can be attacked. Reloading the save or restarting the game does not fix is for me.
I'm using windows.
EI-The Escape Tunnel-Auto-Save1.gz
(22.12 KiB) Downloaded 651 times
EI-The Escape Tunnel.gz
(5.9 KiB) Downloaded 696 times
EDIT: Apparently this bug was fixed in 1.13.12?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Konrad2 wrote: March 19th, 2018, 4:44 pmEDIT: Apparently this bug was fixed in 1.13.12?
Yes, so I've been told.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Mix of minor and fatal bugs

Post by Konrad2 »

BfW 1.13.12
An Unexpected Appearance (Sc3)
If you defeat the eastern Dark Sorceress the surviving Dark Sorcerer says 'You may have defeated my brother [...]'.
a) His line should change depending on the gender of the other Leader
or b) Make sure to spawn a male Dark Sorcerer instead of one with random gender.

EDIT:
New bugs. Dacyn disappears from sc4 to sc5. (He's sent to the recall list.) (Fun Fact: If you use the debug mode to go to the next scenario, he's back again.)
Then there is also this:
<Invalid WML found> [spread_bandit_villages] not supported
<Invalid WML found> [bandit_village_capture] not supported
The second one means that no bandits will appear. None at all. No outlaw leader. Therefor it's impossible to win the scenario.
EI-Northern Outpost-Auto-Save1.gz
(39.25 KiB) Downloaded 648 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Mix of minor and fatal bugs

Post by zookeeper »

Konrad2 wrote: March 20th, 2018, 12:47 pm BfW 1.13.12
An Unexpected Appearance (Sc3)
If you defeat the eastern Dark Sorceress the surviving Dark Sorcerer says 'You may have defeated my brother [...]'.
a) His line should change depending on the gender of the other Leader
or b) Make sure to spawn a male Dark Sorcerer instead of one with random gender.

EDIT:
New bugs. Dacyn disappears from sc4 to sc5. (He's sent to the recall list.) (Fun Fact: If you use the debug mode to go to the next scenario, he's back again.)
Then there is also this:
<Invalid WML found> [spread_bandit_villages] not supported
<Invalid WML found> [bandit_village_capture] not supported
The second one means that no bandits will appear. None at all. No outlaw leader. Therefor it's impossible to win the scenario.
EI-Northern Outpost-Auto-Save1.gz
Thanks, these are now fixed.

To keep playing through scenario 5, one can fix the problem locally by replacing the file data/campaigns/Eastern_Invasion/lua/bandits.lua with this fixed one.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

zookeeper wrote: March 22nd, 2018, 9:36 am To keep playing through scenario 5, one can fix the problem locally by replacing the file data/campaigns/Eastern_Invasion/lua/bandits.lua with this fixed one.
So I did that. And everyting went fine. I got lucky, the first few villages had no outlaws. But then...
Bugs.png
I suspect this happens whenever there 'should' be outlaws in that village.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Sorry for the delay. The file had sadly been broken in more than one way; I've updated the above link, it should now point to the hopefully-completely-bugless version.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

'Captured'
Why do I have a constant income of -2? Why not 0?
EI-Captured-Auto-Save1.gz
(57.02 KiB) Downloaded 777 times
And is there any way to figure out which of my recalls I will get to keep and which of them will be disposed?

EDIT:
If I level up a unit in that scenario, it will demand upkeep.
EI-Captured Turn 16.gz
Female Red Mage
(57.05 KiB) Downloaded 652 times
EDIT 2:
Any Ogre is capable of normal speech when he opens a prison cell.

EDIT 3:
'Evacuation'
Win condition: 'defeat all enemies' should be 'defeat all enemy leaders'

EDIT 4:
'Drowned Plains'
Is it intended that the undead dragon never attacks and is only running around instead?

EDIT 5:
'The Duel'
Why do I get 200g as starting gold? I can spend at most 115g (recruiting five Horseman) in this scenario...
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Double post because I'd like to lower the chance of this being overlooked.
'Capture'
While the income was resolved (it's at 0 now), the upkeep bug isn't resolved so far.
tamanegi encountered probably the same problem in his campaign and apparently fixed it by using [effect] instead of upkeep=loyal (which is what 'Captured' uses).
I'd expect that (if there are other scenario using the no upkeep mechanic) this problem will be in all scenarios using this.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41451&start=45
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Konrad2 wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 7:51 am Double post because I'd like to lower the chance of this being overlooked.
'Capture'
While the income was resolved (it's at 0 now), the upkeep bug isn't resolved so far.
Thanks for the reminder, it's fixed now.