[Historical] Son of the Black Eye Updated!

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Taurus
Inactive Developer

Re: Much fun, small typo

Post by Taurus »

Ardenstone wrote:I just finished the campaign and had a blast doing so. Thanks for putting it together.

In the Epilogue dialog, it talks about reforming the conceal, which I think is supposed to be council. Not a big deal, but figured it'd probably be an easy fix when you have a moment. It'll make the ending that much more grand!

Thanks again!
Hey Ardenstone, glad you liked the campaign, and thanks for pointing out that typo. It'll be fixed in the next release :-)

So is there anything else you have to say about the campaign? Was there any scenarios that were too easy/hard for you?
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Version 1.3.2 is been uploaded on the 1.3 server. Not much different in this release except that it has been modified to work with the 1.3 branch.

I also haven't recieved any feedback on this campaign in a while. Hopefully that means that it is working without any bugs, and everyone is happy with it. Am I right?

joedalton

two of

Post by joedalton »

Hi

in the text there is two of

#: Son_Of_The_Black_Eye/scenarios/The_Human_Army.cfg:143
msgid ""
"My father often spoke of of the shamans of the Great Council who life in "
"Brag Gor in the lands of the free tribes. We shall go pledge them for "
"assistance."
msgstr ""

An error?

I also found

#: Son_Of_The_Black_Eye/scenarios/Northern_Alliance.cfg:28
msgid "Kill Shun Taum and Earl Lanbec'h"

Shun Taum -> Shan Taum
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Thanks for pointing those mistakes out joedalton. They will be corrected in the next release. :-)

Omid

problem with son of the black eye

Post by Omid »

I can not save game in the siege of barag gor.
what is my problem?
General Mac

Post by General Mac »

First of all I would like to say that you did a wonderful job on this :) . It was probably one of the most enjoyable campaigns that I have ever played.

Here is one thing I would change. The last couple of Scenarios vs the unlimited supply of the Earl's forces is too difficult. My army was incredibly elite and I had over 1500 gold and I had terrible difficulty. The first battle I eventually restarted, kept all of my elites for the next mission and spammed lvl 1's but even though I did that, I was eventually cornered inside the city because no matter how many you kill they all come back withen 8 turns. I eventually beat them using this tactic, but it took me way too long.

I know you are not supposed to be able to defeat the Earl, but you should be able to hold him to the field.

My suggestion is that Earl's forces receive less money during the first mission, and in the second mission that the Earl no longer spawns troops. Instead he has two Generals on either side of his base to re-balance.
Go Canucks Go!
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Hi Omid - Can't save during the Seige of Barag Gor? Interesting. I'll check it out..

Hey General Mac. A fellow Canadian I see, and from the Fraser Valley too it seems :-) Nice. I think this campaign is rather close to the heart for us Canadians since it takes place in the, "Thinly settled, barren Northlands" ;-) Ringing any bells?

Anyhow, I am glad you liked the campaign, and I'll definatley take your advice into consiteration. Northern Rebirth has been getting most of my attention latley, but this campign is up for another round of playtesting/tweeking pretty soon.

General Mac

Post by General Mac »

I wouldn't recomend major changes though, as you are able to win it :twisted:

Like I said, your campaigns are (in my opinion) more fun than many of the mainlines and take much of my time away from other things that I probably should be doing :oops:
Go Canucks Go!
jeremywosborne

SotBE Bug? Wesnoth Bug?

Post by jeremywosborne »

Hi Taurus,

I'm back from my honeymoon and decided, enough with all that wedding and love stuff, let's stomp some humans.

Am playing the SotBE campaign for the first time and like it. Very fun, the most important requirement for any game I play.

I'm in the scenario Saving Inarix.

Playing on Windows Vista
Wesnoth 1.3.3 (Development)
SotBE that is delivered with the 1.3.3 Windows Binaries

Noticed a bug in the Saving Inarix scenario. I can't tell if it's a bug caused by some internal wesnoth engine change, or perhaps some bug in your WML macros (I'm a WML n00b). Since you seem relative responsive, and this is your campaign, I'm going to post this here.

Description of Bug: "Inarix" is never spawned on turn 4.

Quite literally, the correct Saurian types are spawned, but the names are incorrect.

WML Scenario event snippet:

Code: Select all

[event]
	name=turn 4
	{SAURIAN_WARRIOR 8 42 Inarix}
	{SAURIAN 8 42 Xortex}
	{SAURIAN 8 42 Merlex}
	{SAURIAN 8 42 Lagunax}
	{SAURIAN_HEALER 8 42 Lux}
	{SAURIAN_HEALER 8 42 Otomox}
	{SAURIAN_HEALER 8 42 Emax}
	{SAURIAN 8 42 Fabix}
	{SAURIAN 8 42 Morganx}
	{SAURIAN 8 42 Stelianx}
A set of the random names produced for my saurians:

Zizzix
Zzasz
Ssix
Xir
Talik
Herxiss
Zzalaprax
Kerarazz'Kza
Prez

Does the name of the units have to do with the SAURIAN_* macros not setting the Unit Description? (The macros defined in the scenarios/utils/utils.cfg file.)

If this doesn't belong here, just PM me and I'll repost this to the Wesnoth Technical Support thread.

My reason for posting it is that I don't want to work my way through this level only to find out that since the Saurian is not named Inarix, any trigger relying on the name "Inarix" fails to fire.

Thanks again for all your work to create a very fun campaign.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

This looks like the problem is related to this change:
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 141#235141

the various macros in \data\campaigns\Son_Of_The_Black_Eye\scenarios\utils\utils.cfg
where description is set, and generate_description is not, need to be updated to have a user_description, preferably one that matches the description. Of course, user_description should be a translatable string, whereas description should not be translatable.

As it works now, there should be a unit with the description tag set to innarix, you just can't tell who it is from the names that they display in wesnoth. If you want to do a quick fix to your save game do the following:

1) in advanced options set binary saves to no.
2) search through the units for a unit with description = innarix.
3) set the user_description = innarix in all such cases.
4) repeat the process for other units where you need to know who is who.
jeremywosborne

Thank you

Post by jeremywosborne »

Darth Fool,

Thank you.

I hacked the save file as you suggested and it worked perfectly.

Also, just because I (someday) want to make both a group of units as well as a campaign, I toyed around with the WML.

Going from this:

#define SAURIAN_WARRIOR X Y NAME
[unit]
	type=Saurian Ambusher
	description={NAME}
	generate_description=yes
	side=1
	random_traits=yes
	x={X}
	y={Y}
[/unit]
#enddef
to:

#define SAURIAN_WARRIOR X Y NAME
[unit]
	type=Saurian Ambusher
	description={NAME}
	user_description={NAME}
	side=1
	random_traits=yes
	x={X}
	y={Y}
[/unit]
#enddef
Seemed to provide a more permanent fix. I think I need a little underbar thingy following the user_description= to indicate a translation. But, since I'm just testing and playing stuff, I left it out for now.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Hey jeremywosborne

Thanks for pointing this out - and yeah, for me personally this is a good place to post such bugs. Either way, it gets to me though so no worries.

Anyhow, the fix for this bug has already been submitted in the repository so you won't have this problem in the next version. Thank you Darth Fool also for giving the the temporary fix to this.

But as it is - even though the "user_description" is off, the upcoming events shouldn't be affected, as long as you know which guy is the actual Inarix. And besides, other then giving you the ability to recruit Saurians, Inarix doesn't play such a major role in the campaign.

digitoxin

Post by digitoxin »

Hello!

I just got to the back home level and Grü and all Orcs in the recall list are gone.. But Grü is present in the dialoge.. so it seems he should be there, also its not nice to loose all high level orcs..

digi
Org_rix

Post by Org_rix »

Hello,

I'm playing the campaign the son of the black eye and Inarix has a wrong name. Zzobrong or something like this
john_who

Post by john_who »

Very nice campaign, I play on easy and had a lot of fun.
However I could not get to the Epilogue, I get this error in console when trying to load the level:

error general: The game could not be loaded: load_game_failed: Map not found
Also I experienced bad performances on the levels with a lot of units, the game got laggy expecially during mouse operations like selecting and moving a unit.