A Tale of Two Brothers

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Development Team
Battle for Wesnoth

A Tale of Two Brothers

Post by Development Team »

This is the main development thread for the mainline campaign A Tale of Two Brothers. The original first post for this thread follows.
Ivanovic wrote:I just took over maintaining the small beginners campaign named "A Tale of two Brothers" from Circon. He stated that he would not work on it anymore and it is a pitty that this campaign was lying on the campaignserver but not working properly.
I already updated the campaign and it should now be compatible to Wesnoth 0.9.4. Translations will now be supported, too. I already mailed Torangan so that it can be added to Wescamp soon.
I do not think that I will do plot changes at this campaign. I mainly want it to be working. Maybe I will have a look at balancing, not too sure about it at the moment. I hope you will enjoy playing this campaign.
Last edited by ivanovic on May 23rd, 2007, 2:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

I already updated the campaign a bit further to fix some glitches. I mainly changed the enemys keep in the 3rd mission. Now there should not be a glitch with the cave-wall anymore, because of replacing the normal castle with a dwarf castle. I also did change several villages on the maps to have more variations. I only changed the position of one or two of them to fix glitches. I also did place mountainvillages in the first and the fourth mission to replace the underground village. These were simply not fitting but used because there was no real alternative.
I'll probably look a bit more at the campaign in the next days.
scott

Post by scott »

Thanks. We appreciate your effort.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
HaJo
Inactive Developer

Re: Two Brothers

Post by HaJo »

ivanovic wrote:I just took over maintaining the small beginners campaign named "A Tale of two Brothers" from Circon.
I mainly want it to be working.
I completed this campaign yesterday with v0.9.5 on easy. Some notes:
* Guarded Castle: when entering the "room" with the imprisoned mage,
a copy of this mage comes running.
* Return to the Village: when Arne is killed, no defeat is detected (Savegame available).
* The Chase: although doable, fighting elves in a forest is not exactly my idea of "easy".
For a beginner-scenario, some more dialog with tactical tips would be nice.

I also wonder about the consequences of accepting/rejecting Brena,
e.g. is there any advantage of not taking him along ?
-HaJo
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Yesterday I reworked some major parts:
* I already edited the 2nd map to make it a bit easier, but it was still ot hard. Because of this I made the Leader only be a lvl2. I also replaced the lvl2 scout with a lvl 1 and another scout with a normal warrior.
* Brena is now 3rd level. Now you can recruit HI even if you reject her joining you. If you reject you now get 60Gold instead of 80, but before you were not able to recruit HI when rejecting her offer.
* Now it is possible to ALWAYS recruit Horseman, Spearman and Bowman. This was one thing that made some missions a lot harder.

Thanks for the hint about the 4th scenario, I will fix this soon. At the moment I am heavyly working on the 3rd scenario. The castle will be restructured and especially the prison will change. There will also be a bonus if you carefully explore the castle.

I hope to finish the changes to the maps soon, so that I can have a further look into the balancing.
Thanks for your comments.
HaJo
Inactive Developer

Post by HaJo »

ivanovic wrote:* I already edited the 2nd map to make it a bit easier
After finishing the elves, there is a long march to the northern end of the map.
This is a bit tedious with all those footmen, and only a few villages to heal.
So I had a choice of attacking the 3 bad guys with only 2-3 riders, or wait
for all the footmen to arrive (e.g. several days...)
If the map would end just a bit north of the river, much running
could be avoided, while the action would not change much.
* Brena is now 3rd level. Now you can recruit HI even if you reject her
If you reject you now get 60 Gold
Money was no issue at all, and impact-weapons are good against undead.
So, I think it would be a big mistake to reject such a unit.
Maybe if an attractive alternative would be offered, such as a griffon or a white mage...
I am heavyly working on the 3rd scenario. The castle will be restructured
It would be nice to have a village nearer to the castle-gate.
And maybe a line of dialog for Arne, that he does not trust those orcs,
even with the correct password...
-HaJo
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

I did now complete several changes to the campaign:
* The map for the 2nd scenario is now a bit smaller (~7hex).
* On this map there are more villages in the middle to give the troops a chance to rest.
* Reduced the number of turns on this map from 30 to 24.
* Included an eventbased freeing of Bjarn. There is now a "magic gate" blocking him.
* Reduced the max number of turns on the 3rd map from 30 to 24.
* Chancged the dialog with the orc in the 3rd scenario.
* Added messages for deaths and turns running out.

I will do some more balaning changes soon. I will also have a look at the 4th scenario. I think the first three scenarios should be fine now.

EDIT: Uploaded the new version as 0.5.0.
breversa

Post by breversa »

I played your campaign today (on easy difficulty, just for fun), but got that error went starting the 4th scenario :
The game could not be loaded: load_game_failed: Map not found
and then the game went back to the main menu.

I had a quick look at your files, but I did not find anything wrong...
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

I did just test it again, and for me everything seems to work fine. To give you more support I do need more info, like the output of the terminal or something like this. Maybe you should just try to load the savegame of the beginning of the scenario. Or download a new version of the campaign, and try it again.
breversa

Post by breversa »

I've just re-DLed the campaign and tried again, with the same result.

Terminal output :
title screen returned result
no valid cache found. Writing cache to '/home/breversa/.wesnoth/cache/game.cfg-cache-v0.9.5-CAMPAIGN_TWO_BROTHERS-EASY'
error filesystem: streaming /home/breversa/.wesnoth/data/units failed.
error filesystem: streaming data/campaigns/Legend_of_Wesmere/units failed.
error filesystem: streaming data/campaigns/Two_Brothers/maps/4_Return_to_the_Village failed.
scenario: '4_Return_To_The_Village'
has snapshot: no
skipping...
error general: The game could not be loaded: load_game_failed: Map not found
found valid cache at '/home/breversa/.wesnoth/cache/game.cfg-cache-v0.9.5-MEDIUM-NORMAL' using it
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Okay, I think i found and fixed the problem. My system is not this case sensitive. In the scenario-file capital-latters were used, while the mapname had small ones in. Even on my mac it did work... Argh!!!
I uploaded the fixed version as 0.5.0a. Please test if everything works as expected.
breversa

Post by breversa »

After DLing version 0.5.0a everything is working fine.

Thank you ivanovic ! :)
breversa

Post by breversa »

I've just finished you campaign, and here's my feedback :

- it is short, simple and quite straightforward, well suited for beginners, as intended.
- however, the last scenario seems a bit easy compared to the other ones, especially the second one, which is IMO the "least easy" (not hard however).
- the ending definitely needs work, but I understand the campaign is not fully finished.

Overall, a nice lil' campaign to play just after the tutorial. :-)
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

I attach here replays after finishing Two Brothers on hard. This is intresting and challenging campaign.
Attachments
2b.zip
Replays
(37.74 KiB) Downloaded 1272 times
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

I did several balancing changes to make "hard" be playable, too. I also fixed a glitch in the first map and removed the ghosts from the enemy when playing on easy (cf. wesnoth-1.1-svn, ghosts with drain). On the 2nd mission the topmost part of the map is now coverd by shroud. That should make clear that you got to go there.
Thanks to Dragonking for testing the campaign in the hard difficulty level.