The Sceptre of Fire

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

woody wrote:After replaying the campaign, my earlier problem with Gathering Materials is gone, but now I somehow have a bug in turns 7-8 on Caverns of Fire. Each time the opponent's finish their turns on turn 7 Wesnoth minimizes and says there is an assertion error. Anyone know what might cause the problem?
Yes, we've had quite a lot of WML bugs in that scenario...you could try it on 1.3.7 (need to restart the scenario from the beginning though), they should all be fixed there.
Erk
Art Contributor

Post by Erk »

In Closing the Gates, I had my leader positioned outside the gate while I finished off the enemy leader. After killing the elven leader (yay me!) the scenario still wanted me to close the gate to finish, so I did so... and found that I was defeated for locking my leader outside!

This scenario probably needs either an "are you sure you want to close the gates with units still outside" prompt, or an automatic victory on killing the elven leader. I prefer the former, since it couldn't hurt to have a reminder that you can't recall anyone that might have been outside when you step on the last rune. It's not as if it changes the difficulty or balance, just prevents a silly mistake.
Warning: I am not reliable.
vonBureck

Disappearing unit after "The Dragon"

Post by vonBureck »

At the end of "The Dragon", I had a unit positioned on the forge hex (in this case it was Krawg). After the last turn, Thursagan reappeared on the forge hex (as he should), but Krawg disappeared and didn't get recalled in the next scenario.

I replayed the last few turns and made sure the forge hex was unoccupied on the last turn, and Krawg did get recalled. Looks like a bug to me :)

BfW version: 1.3.8
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Ooh... yeah, there should be a find_vacant=yes in the [unstore_unit] tag. I'll add it as soon as I have time...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

turin wrote:Ooh... yeah, there should be a find_vacant=yes in the [unstore_unit] tag. I'll add it as soon as I have time...
Don't worry, I already did. :P
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

A fairly major problem: beyond the scenario (i think) the Jeweller, Thursagan is not recalled. This leads to being unable to complete the scenario ending at the altar/anvil thing. And i only got four units besides my heroes at the start of that mission, is that correct? It means that it's next to impossible to complete the next one...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Stedevil

Post by Stedevil »

Hi, just started playing this campaign in dev 1.3.9.

I do find it reasonably challenging (on the hardest setting) and interesting to play sofar, so thumbs up on that side.

Some bugs I stumbled across when I got to "Gathering Materials"
* It has no "gold for ending mission X turns in advance" (cleaning out the caves and then click "next turn" 20 times before returning the last miner seems like a silly way to not lose a lot of gold.)
* I was able to pick up 2 coal piles with 2 miners from the first coalheap. Thus, the 2nd pile of coal I bumped into wasnt really required. Is this intended?
* I saw no visual feedback of which miner is hording what material. Potentially confusing.

Also, in general, a lot of special campaign heroes are missing the loyal trait. Is that intended?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Stedevil wrote:Some bugs I stumbled across when I got to "Gathering Materials"
* It has no "gold for ending mission X turns in advance" (cleaning out the caves and then click "next turn" 20 times before returning the last miner seems like a silly way to not lose a lot of gold.)
* I was able to pick up 2 coal piles with 2 miners from the first coalheap. Thus, the 2nd pile of coal I bumped into wasnt really required. Is this intended?
* I saw no visual feedback of which miner is hording what material. Potentially confusing.
Ha. Just today/yesterday I committed some changes which fix all of these issues. :P Will be in 1.3.10.
Stedevil wrote:Also, in general, a lot of special campaign heroes are missing the loyal trait. Is that intended?
Probably not...I'll have a look at that.
Stedevil

Post by Stedevil »

Thumbs up! :)
Stedevil

Post by Stedevil »

just in case u didnt catch it, the next "real" mission, Hills of the Shortbear-clan, has the same "no bonus for early finish".

Interestingly though, it seems that saving at the end screen and then reloading that save WILL give you the bonus. Convenient workaround until 1.3.10 I guess :)
It also seems to multiply almost all units in the recall list :shock:
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

The comments on that file suggest you can only have the early finish bonus if you kill the enemy (elf) leader.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
Stedevil

Post by Stedevil »

joshudson wrote:The comments on that file suggest you can only have the early finish bonus if you kill the enemy (elf) leader.
Hmm, you might be right. I was a bit confused about why the game actually ended for me the first time since I read the info as all your "leaders" having to be inside the actual castle, but it turns out they only needed to be in the caves. Maybe that should be clarified as well.

In any case, that "save-reload" bug should probably be fixed :)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

turin wrote:Ooh... yeah, there should be a find_vacant=yes in the [unstore_unit] tag. I'll add it as soon as I have time...
I wasn't aware you had SVN commit access...
(BTW, this was all about the 1.3.x version, right?)

I should play this campaign. It has an already excellent storyline. (Quite boring for game play though, but it might just be a personal preference).
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Shadow Master wrote:
I wasn't aware you had SVN commit access...
Yup. I got it back in the day when having a campaign in-game automatically got you in. ;) That would have been around... what, three years ago about? I'm not sure exactly.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Following 'Closing the Gates', Alanin was not recalled in either the story scenario or the finding Thursagan scenario. Could this be because i successfully got him to the castle in the first scenario, which removes him from play...? The dialogue concerning him still happened in the story scenario, though.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.