The Sceptre of Fire

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Syntax_Error wrote:* In the final non-epilogue scenario, like grunob, the game crashes each time lava should expand. the only choice is to kill the elves on the turn before it starts expanding, that leads to victory with no crash.
The crash was fixed yesterday. Get the most recent version of the scenario .cfg from SVN and it should work ok.
Syntax_Error wrote:* not really a bug, but in the last scenario you should, like, drag the elves into the middle of the cave? thats impossible, i found, only a few units keep coming at a time, which makes it that most elves should be dead by the time you can drag their last ones so they cant escape. once they kill their threat, those few units return to the top of the cave. so its more effective to simply keep ending turns and watch the non-trapped trolls beat them slowly dead, which isnt very fun.
I couldn't complete neither the dragon scenario nor this one without cheating (played on the easiest difficulty, too). In this scenario, there are a few dozen lvl3 elves and dwarves and quite a lot of orcs and trolls and such. How the heck should I be able to kill almost anything with the about half a dozen units I have? In the previous scenario, I had to kill the dragon by cheating since the pursuing dwarves killed most of my units (since I think all but one of the initial pursuing group were quick). The last two scenarios probably need to be rebalanced, and I wouldn't mind the last one getting redesigned a bit differently.
Syntax_Error wrote:* in the scenario where its snowy and you must get the hermit runemaster, the hero dwarwish stalwart died, but i didnt lose, instead Alanin said "Aaangh (or something similar, but more importantly instead of the stalwart it was the cavalier who said that)", and the game continued without the stalwart.
Odd. I'll have a look.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Syntax_Error wrote:* in the scenario where its snowy and you must get the hermit runemaster, the hero dwarwish stalwart died, but i didnt lose, instead Alanin said "Aaangh (or something similar, but more importantly instead of the stalwart it was the cavalier who said that)", and the game continued without the stalwart.
Odd. I'll have a look.
and that was after i had released the runemaster, if it matters.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

If you get the final scenario with only six or so units, yeah, you're probably screwed... but you don't really need to fight the elves, you just run away from them south. Maybe leaving some expendable units behind as time-burners.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
woody

Gathering Materials

Post by woody »

In Gathering Materials, my miners would always bring the coal back fine, but it would take multiple trips of miners retrieving gold and still it wouldn't say that they had collected all the resources needed. How much is "one load" of gold?
May the Land of Wesnoth be forever populated.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Gathering Materials

Post by zookeeper »

woody wrote:In Gathering Materials, my miners would always bring the coal back fine, but it would take multiple trips of miners retrieving gold and still it wouldn't say that they had collected all the resources needed. How much is "one load" of gold?
Worked fine for me just a few days back. What version are you speaking of?
woody

Post by woody »

vonBureck

Yet Another Alanin problem

Post by vonBureck »

pauxlo wrote:Like some posters before, Alanin is missing after the first scenario. This is no problem until "Hills of Shorbear Clan", where the win-condition says that Alanin has to be inside the cave.
I can confirm that -- I got the exact same problem, and didn't notice it until "Hills of Shorbear Clan" (took me ages to get there -- man was I ticked off :(). I'm using 1.3.6 under Linux, playing using the Polish locale (though this shouldn't matter).

Edit: When I played the first scenario, I remember I got Alanin to the dwarvish keep and then quickly won by killing the elf leader (WITHOUT getting the caravans unloaded). In subsequent scenarios, Alanin was gone. However, now I went back to an autosave of the first scenario and finished "normally" by getting Alanin to the keep AND unloading all the caravans -- and Alanin did not disappear! So maybe a quick win in the first scenario causes the problem? HTH :)
pauxlo

Re: Yet Another Alanin problem

Post by pauxlo »

vonBureck wrote:
pauxlo wrote:Like some posters before, Alanin is missing after the first scenario. This is no problem until "Hills of Shorbear Clan", where the win-condition says that Alanin has to be inside the cave.
I can confirm that -- I got the exact same problem, and didn't notice it until "Hills of Shorbear Clan" (took me ages to get there -- man was I ticked off :(). I'm using 1.3.6 under Linux, playing using the Polish locale (though this shouldn't matter).

Edit: When I played the first scenario, I remember I got Alanin to the dwarvish keep and then quickly won by killing the elf leader (WITHOUT getting the caravans unloaded). In subsequent scenarios, Alanin was gone. However, now I went back to an autosave of the first scenario and finished "normally" by getting Alanin to the keep AND unloading all the caravans -- and Alanin did not disappear! So maybe a quick win in the first scenario causes the problem? HTH :)
Hmm, good point. Same here ...

PS: In "outriding the outriders" I got a new Dragoon, without name. I had to edit the description in the savefile, where it was "Rugnur" to Alanin, to get spearmen when I hit a village.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The problem is that I didn't account for the fact that some people would kill the elvish leader when I wrote that scenario... fixing it will be easy, but everyone will have to restart the campaign from the beginning to have the fix apply. ;) If you don't want to wait you can just win the scenario the 'official way' instead of killing the enemy leader.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
jrm

Outriding the outriders

Post by jrm »

I'm stuck on the outriding the outriders scenario. I've read several posts that spearmen come to help when you reach a village. No such aid comes when I enter a village. Because of that lack of help, Alanin is usually dead by my second turn (he's only survived to my third turn once). I'm one of those who killed the elven leader at the beginning, so Alanin didn't appear in my game until now. Anyone have ideas on how to get past this scenario?

Campaign Version: 1.02
Level: easy
Computer: Macintosh

Thanks.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Outriding the outriders

Post by zookeeper »

jrm wrote:I'm stuck on the outriding the outriders scenario. I've read several posts that spearmen come to help when you reach a village. No such aid comes when I enter a village. Because of that lack of help, Alanin is usually dead by my second turn (he's only survived to my third turn once). I'm one of those who killed the elven leader at the beginning, so Alanin didn't appear in my game until now. Anyone have ideas on how to get past this scenario?

Campaign Version: 1.02
Level: easy
Computer: Macintosh

Thanks.
Umm...Wesnoth 1.0.2 was released something like 2 years ago. The first thing to do for you would be to upgrade to 1.2.6 or 1.3.6. Really. No one seriously maintains any content made for 1.0.2 anymore, I'm quite sure.
jrm

Post by jrm »

Interesting because I just downloaded it from the campaign server two days ago. Maybe the Mac version is way out of date?
jrm

Post by jrm »

I just reread your post. I'm playing Wesnoth 1.2.6, with the Sceptre of Fire campaign version 1.0.2.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

jrm wrote:I just reread your post. I'm playing Wesnoth 1.2.6, with the Sceptre of Fire campaign version 1.0.2.
Ah, I see. :P Sorry, I should have read more carefully.

The version currently being actively worked on is the one in the 1.3 branch (as a mainline campaign). I don't really know what's the status of the 1.2 (add-on) version...maybe turin can tell if he's still maintaining it.
woody

Post by woody »

After replaying the campaign, my earlier problem with Gathering Materials is gone, but now I somehow have a bug in turns 7-8 on Caverns of Fire. Each time the opponent's finish their turns on turn 7 Wesnoth minimizes and says there is an assertion error. Anyone know what might cause the problem?