The Sceptre of Fire

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

joshudson

Post by joshudson »

My feedback, etc. on Scepter of Fire (normal difficulty)

First scenario:
Clear, easy.
Assinated enemy leader, turn 9.

Second scenario:
Mostly clear, easy.
Killed all enemy units on map, turn 14 (elf leader dead on turn 13)
Didn't win scenario. Used debug to skip as my immortals were standing
on the elf keep.

Third scenario:
Clear, easy
Objectives complete, turn 15

Fourth scenario:
Clear, medium
Enemies defeated, turn 29. Objectives complete, turn 30
Major problem was not enough gold to bring out a worthy army and miners
at the same time.

Fifth scenario:
Clear, medium-hard
Can't take the elves, hah! I took them on turn 24.
Major problem is the shorbar dwarves wouldn't leave their castle unless they
had ctk on something.

Sixth scenario:
Clear, medium-hard
I could have made it back to the cave I came from just as easy. My force
was powerful enough to take any one group of elves. Possibly all of them
on an unlimited turn map.

Seventh scenario:
Target point is in water above keep??

Eighth scenario:
Clear, medium
Lost one runemaster due to massed beserkers (no avoiding it)

Ninth scenario:
Clear, medium
Several L3 losses, but all affordable due to this being the final scenario.
Would be hard if I had to keep them alive.
Elves and dwarves dead on turn 30 (before triggering the lava).
In the final lava spreading, it is missing the [redraw][/redraw].
Also, it might be better with animate=no on kill.

After setting off the lava, it would be nice to remove the "lose on death of" events for
all the characters but Kraug and let the dwarves fight to the death for the nine turns or
so while the lava spreads.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Bugs again...

On 2 scenarios now (The mining one and the Shorbear clan one) upon missing a shot with a Thunderguard, the game has frozen up - i can still move the mouse and select units, but i cannot tell them to move or attack, nor can i click menus. I can right click, but the menu available is drastically reduced (next unit and delay shroud updates if there's a shroud).

>.<
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
walrod

Post by walrod »

Hi, bug with 1.3.10, in the gathering materials map, the pile of coal at the NW always ends up embedded in wall (lazy miners don't want to dig :P). I generated 4 maps like that.
klein-atuin

source?

Post by klein-atuin »

Hi
simple Question in between: Are the debugged campaign versions not available for BfW 1.2.7 or do i simply need a different source than the default campaigns-wesnoth.org?

greetz
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

I've seen the same bug as walrod using 1.3.11+svn (r22075). It was the gold for me, but I imagine it's the same thing. :-)
Author of Wercator
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: source?

Post by zookeeper »

klein-atuin wrote:Hi
simple Question in between: Are the debugged campaign versions not available for BfW 1.2.7 or do i simply need a different source than the default campaigns-wesnoth.org?

greetz
All the fixes I've done to the campaign are in the development releases of Wesnoth only (in which SoF is a mainline campaign). Not available for or compatible with 1.2, sorry.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Quensul wrote:I've seen the same bug as walrod using 1.3.11+svn (r22075). It was the gold for me, but I imagine it's the same thing. :-)
Right...ok, I'll tweak the scenario so that the piles are placed randomly in WML instead of relying on the map generator, to ensure they can't end up inside cavewalls.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Done (r22086). Now it should be impossible for the piles to end up inside cavewalls. If you want to try it out (should be compatible with latest few dev releases), better get all of those four files.
jmgross

Shorbear Caves doesn't end

Post by jmgross »

I'm enjoying the campaign so far. Good storyline and clever characters.

I couldn't get the scenario to end. I assume that "shorebear caves" means the area where the shorbear throne is. I killed all the elves and dwarves in the area and the game didn't end.

Personally, I think the story seems to take a dark turn here. Durstorm's character has acted eratically all through the campaign, but here he becomes homicidal/suicidal. Is this intentional?
turin
Lord of the East

Re: Shorbear Caves doesn't end

Post by turin »

jmgross wrote:I'm enjoying the campaign so far. Good storyline and clever characters.

I couldn't get the scenario to end. I assume that "shorebear caves" means the area where the shorbear throne is. I killed all the elves and dwarves in the area and the game didn't end.
Did you make sure to put all the hero units (Rugnur, Thursagan, Durstorn, etc) inside the caves (you assumed rightly that caves=where the Shorbear leader is)? You only win once all of the hero units are in the caves and no enemy units are in the caves.
jmgross wrote:Personally, I think the story seems to take a dark turn here. Durstorm's character has acted eratically all through the campaign, but here he becomes homicidal/suicidal. Is this intentional?
Yes - the Ruby of Fire has a corrupting tendency (somewhat like Sauron's ring, but not exactly), and since the Ruby was in Durstorn's keeping for the entire time they were Searching for the Runecrafter and Gathering Materials, he was, well corrupted by it.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
jmgross

Post by jmgross »

turin wrote: Did you make sure to put all the hero units (Rugnur, Thursagan, Durstorn, etc) inside the caves (you assumed rightly that caves=where the Shorbear leader is)? You only win once all of the hero units are in the caves and no enemy units are in the caves.
Hmm, as soon as I read that I remembered the one unit not in the caves was Krwag. Sure enough, bringing him into the caves let me win.

This was a challenging scenario. I only had one lvl3 unit to recall and started with the minimum 100 gold. It took me several tries to realize that the only way to win is to invade the caves and place Durstorn on the throne to recruit new dwarves while Krawg flies around claiming villages. this worked but I only just finished and used all my gold doing so.
turin wrote: Yes - the Ruby of Fire has a corrupting tendency (somewhat like Sauron's ring, but not exactly), and since the Ruby was in Durstorn's keeping for the entire time they were Searching for the Runecrafter and Gathering Materials, he was, well corrupted by it.
Cool. I see that this corruption get's developed further in the dialog leading to the next scenario. Although I was surprised that Durstorn offered to give the scepter to the Elves. Having him try to steal it for himself would seem to have fit the profile better. You might want to add a brief sidebar dialog between Rugnur and Alanin at the beginning of Shorbear. Something like "this isn't like Durstorn, why is he acting this way?". "He's spent a lot of time with the gem, it must have affected him."
Sly

Post by Sly »

I got a "Leader has no starting position" when entering Gathering Materials
:?
Anarchie

Post by Anarchie »

turin wrote:
jmgross wrote:I'm enjoying the campaign so far. Good storyline and clever characters.

Did you make sure to put all the hero units (Rugnur, Thursagan, Durstorn, etc) inside the caves (you assumed rightly that caves=where the Shorbear leader is)? You only win once all of the hero units are in the caves and no enemy units are in the caves.
I got about the same problem. I got all heros(the five not to die) in the cave even in the castle, There's a few elves in the hills, but not in the cave. So I'd think it should be done, but it just doesnt end.
boulderbum

Post by boulderbum »

Shorbear scenario doesn't end for me either... but I am playing 1.2.8 If I read correctly you are only developing this for 1.3. development version.
"Stop that rhyming and I mean it!"
"Anybody want a peanut?"
"Arrrrrugh!"
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

boulderbum wrote:Shorbear scenario doesn't end for me either... but I am playing 1.2.8 If I read correctly you are only developing this for 1.3. development version.
Yes. The 1.2 version isn't updated anymore.