The Sceptre of Fire

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

friar tuck

Re: Questions about 8_The_Dragon

Post by friar tuck »

turin wrote: The same trick will work, EXCEPT you'll have to do the same for every file in the 9_overlays/ directory. There are 10 of them, IIRC. But it will still probably be quicker than editing the scenario file.
Yea, it worked, thanks a lot. I can activate the rune and the volcano breaks out. The first terrain modification (breakdown of walls) works well.

Unfortunately, at the start of the second turn after activating the volcano, I get a total crash and the following message:

Code: Select all

wesnoth-1.3: terrain_translation.cpp:749: t_translation::t_layer t_translation::string_to_layer_(const std::string&): Assertion `str.size() <= 4' failed.

[1]+  Aborted                 (core dumped) wesnoth-1.3
It seems the system tries to modify the terrain and fails. Of course I assumed I had somehow screwed up modifying the map files, but wc gives

wc 9_Caverns_of_Flame.map 9_overlay/*.map
    32   1029  10244 9_Caverns_of_Flame.map
    32   1024  10240 9_overlay/9_o1.map
    32   1024  10240 9_overlay/9_o2.map
    32   1024  10240 9_overlay/9_o3.map
    32   1024  10240 9_overlay/9_o4.map
    32   1024  10240 9_overlay/9_o5.map
    32   1024  10240 9_overlay/9_o6.map
    32   1024  10240 9_overlay/9_o7.map
    32   1024  10240 9_overlay/9_o8.map
    32   1024  10240 9_overlay/9_o9.map
    32   1024  10240 9_overlay/9_of.map
All map files have exactly 32 lines, so this seems to have gone well.

I'm at a loss I'm afraid.

Has this level been playtested in the version delivered with 1.3.4?

In this case I think I'll give up now and install 1.3.4....
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Well that's, uh, weird. I'm not a programmer, I couldn't tell you what that error means. I also don't know if it's the fault of the WML or of the engine.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

The assertion failure occurs if a terrain string has more than 4 characters (if it contains a caret it may have 4 before and after the caret).

If it still happens in 1.3.4 could you post a bug at bugs.wesnoth.org with a savegame at the start of the scenario?
dthurston

Alanin in Towards the Caves

Post by dthurston »

It seems to me that the win condition for Alanin is off by 1 in towards the caves--I couldn't get him to escape.
nightcrawler

Re: Alanin in Towards the Caves

Post by nightcrawler »

dthurston wrote:It seems to me that the win condition for Alanin is off by 1 in towards the caves--I couldn't get him to escape.
Seconded. Ditto for Rugnur's cave escape. The WML seems to be off by 1 hex in the y direction for both cases, suggesting a one-line shift in the map at some point.
"Then I'd prefer you refer to it as 'The Midlands'"

If I'm supposed to fight creeping biggerism, then why is it a game feature?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

You're both probably using 1.3.3. The bug has been fixed since then. The fix should be in 1.3.4.

In fact, announcement:

UNLESS YOU ARE USING THE MOST RECENT VERSION OF WESNOTH, DO NOT REPORT BUGS
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
nightcrawler

Post by nightcrawler »

turin wrote:You're both probably using 1.3.3. The bug has been fixed since then. The fix should be in 1.3.4.

In fact, announcement:

UNLESS YOU ARE USING THE MOST RECENT VERSION OF WESNOTH, DO NOT REPORT BUGS
Excellent. Thank you. In 1.3.4, the following moveto event from 6_Towards_the_Caves.cfg should be filtered on 36,2:

[event]
	name=moveto
		[filter]
		description=Rugnur
		x,y=36,3
		[/filter]
Similarly, the following moveto event from the same scenario should be filtered on y=37:

[event]
	name=moveto
		[filter]
		description=Alanin
		x=22-40
		y=38
		[/filter]
Also, the failed assertion bug persists in the last scenario on the start of the turn after I activate the rune.
This is where you exclaim, "Inconceivable!"
Attachments
Caverns_of_Flame.zip
(10.04 KiB) Downloaded 468 times
"Then I'd prefer you refer to it as 'The Midlands'"

If I'm supposed to fight creeping biggerism, then why is it a game feature?
archolewa

Alanin disappears

Post by archolewa »

Um guys, I have a problem. In the first scenario, I put Alanin on the Treasure Chest like I'm supposed to and he said "I think I'll hide in the Citadel, I don't like fighting." And then he disappears. Now, I'm at "Closing on the Caves," when I need Alanin to the reach the Southeast, and he doesn't exist!! He's not on my recall list, nor has he been showing up in any of my previous scenarios. Nor have I gotten him killed. He's just . . .gone. By the way, I dowloaded the campaign off the campaign download feature on the Battle for Wesnoth main menu, so I have whatever version of the campaign is available through there. Does anyone have (or know of) a bug fix for this? Has anyone else experienced this before? Thanks
Frostblade

Several Problems

Post by Frostblade »

I had several problems with this campaign, as others before me have. Like archelowa, Alanin disappeared after the first level, which I solved by just going back and defeating the enemy leader. Then the whole thing on 'Towards the Caves' with the y coordinate, which didn't work after I tried changing it and with version 1.3.4. I probably didn't change it rightl; it said I didn't have an ending tag or something. Then I had to get to the next level by defeating all enemy leaders or typing :n. So when I got to Outriding the Outriders, I was expected to travel to the South in 12 turns with not Alanin, but Rugnor. So I had to cheat to skip that level. How did this happen?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Most likely it was caused by one of the scenarios having a [recall] at a specific x,y=, and that x,y= being occupied by another unit because of the maps losing the top row. Though that's just a guess.
The World of Orbivm
gnurob

Post by gnurob »

This campaign shows a lot of promise. Other than stingy limits on the maximum number of turns and a few extremely difficult scenarios it has been a lot of fun to play - frustrations aside.

I did run into some fierce problems using 1.3.3.

1. Thursagan could not reach the forge buried in lava (I changed the caracter's movement rates).

2. In the following scenario the glyph was in a cave wall (Thursagan's previously changed movement rates got around that).

3. Wesnoth crashes at the start of each turn after the lava rumble. Since the auto save is not completed the game is no longer playable.

Also, the 1.3.4 beta RPM is targeted from a broken URL for OpenSuse 10.2. I don't want to get into downgrading the game so I guess this is a dead-end for a while.

It seems the random maps, lava and quakes are breaking the Wesnoth game a LOT (this has come up in another campaign). Maybe game developers should shy away from these features until they are stable... especially since they don't add much besides preventing walk-through guides and make second plays a little more interesting (which is not much help if its broken on the first play).

My $0.02. :-)
gnurob

Post by gnurob »

Oh, and Alanin was replaced with another character in the running from the Elves scenario. the 4 movement rate was not enough to reach the end (only 12 turns!!!). I had to :debug and :n start next scenario.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Problems 1 and 2 have been fixed in the most recent version; they were a result of a faulty map conversion script (we recently switched map formats from one-letter-per-hex to a comma-separated list).

Problem 3 I've never experienced. Note that the way the lava flows isn't random, it's preset... it's possible, of course, that this too was a result of the broken map conversion, which was fixed in 1.3.5. I dunno.

Problem 4 I've also never heard of before. I have no idea what would cause it.
The World of Orbivm
pauxlo

Another "Alanin"-problem ...

Post by pauxlo »

I today downloaded Wesnoth 1.3.6a (Windows) and tried the version of "Szepter of Fire" which ships with it.

Like some posters before, Alanin is missing after the first scenario. This is no problem until "Hills of Shorbear Clan", where the win-condition says that Alanin has to be inside the cave.

I'll try to edit the condition in the savefile to get to the next level, but there certainly is a bug.

Paul
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

played through it on 136.

Bugs:
* In the final non-epilogue scenario, like grunob, the game crashes each time lava should expand. the only choice is to kill the elves on the turn before it starts expanding, that leads to victory with no crash.
* not really a bug, but in the last scenario you should, like, drag the elves into the middle of the cave? thats impossible, i found, only a few units keep coming at a time, which makes it that most elves should be dead by the time you can drag their last ones so they cant escape. once they kill their threat, those few units return to the top of the cave. so its more effective to simply keep ending turns and watch the non-trapped trolls beat them slowly dead, which isnt very fun.
* in the scenario where its snowy and you must get the hermit runemaster, the hero dwarwish stalwart died, but i didnt lose, instead Alanin said "Aaangh (or something similar, but more importantly instead of the stalwart it was the cavalier who said that)", and the game continued without the stalwart.

Misc suggestions
* in scenario 1, the "reinforcements" would look much cooler as real units appearing in the edge of the map + extra elf gold, not only extra elf gold.

btw i had no such problem as Alanin disappearing.