Secrets of the Ancients (Undead Campaign)

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

revolting_peasant

Re: Secrets of the Ancients (Undead Campaign)

Post by revolting_peasant »

Spoiler:
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

revolting_peasant wrote:So I've advanced a bit with the campaign, and I have some more feeback. Some of that is spoilery, so I'll cover the whole thing.
...feedback...
MathBrush wrote:A lot of this is subjective. I loved the saurian healer, as well as the new name!
Yes.

Thanks for the feedback. For the two that are straight bug fixes (spiderwebs description and Lava & Stone text) I've made a note to fix them when there's no longer a string freeze. As the rest of the points are somewhat subjective, mostly addressed by string changes, & I am fine with how things currently are, I'll take a 'wait & see what additional feedback from the 1.14 release brings' approach.
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
revolting_peasant

Post by revolting_peasant »

SigurdFireDragon: Fair enough, just my 2 cents. By the way - I just filed this bug report in the tech support forum since I wasn't sure it was a bug with the campaign.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

I started this campaign in a recent 1.13.11+dev build, and now note that many terrain pieces are not accessible to my skeleton units.
For example, in "Following the shadow", my skeletons couldn't step on the flower terrains outside, nor on the mushroom terrain in the cave. Also some villages were inaccessible.
SotA-Following_the_Shadow_Aufzeichnung_abspielen.gz
(38.01 KiB) Downloaded 678 times
In turn 10 of the replay you can see how my skeletons move a bit strange, for example, in later turns my wonded skeletons not going to the nearest villages and navigating around the mushrooms might be visible (though from the game, it looks fine now).

In Battleground, I had problems stepping moving through the swamp ... though now after reloading an auto-save some days later, this doesn't happen anymore.

Is this a campaign problem, or a (difficult to reproduce) mainline bug?
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

Sounds like the "13.10-dev hex fields movement bug", https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=47782

That one hasn't been solved yet, AFAIK there's not even a reliable way to reproduce it.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Yes, it's the same bug as the hex fields movement.

Even though the cause hasn't been figured out yet, it does appear that a reliable workaround to deal with it is using a combination of reloading from a save and/or quitting the game and relaunching.

It is a mainline bug, I've seen this in playing NR as well.
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Thanks.
Dabuh

Post by Dabuh »

In the scenario "Training Session" the hint at the beginning says:
You can recruit from in front of each adept in the first turn only
However, I'm not able to do anything in the first turn because the leader cannot move (for whichever reason) and all other units have no movement points left. This is not intended behaviour, or is it?
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

You don't need to move. Just recruit normally by hitting "R" or right clicking on one of the hexes in front of an adept. It will work. Did you not try that?
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
name

Post by name »

I just finished a first play through of this campaign and wanted to say I really enjoyed it. The characters were well written and situationally humorous. There were many interesting scenarios from a game play perspective, particularly early on, like the unintentional invasion of black water port. :)
Dabuh

Post by Dabuh »

beetlenaut wrote: May 27th, 2018, 6:36 pm You don't need to move. Just recruit normally by hitting "R" or right clicking on one of the hexes in front of an adept. It will work. Did you not try that?
No, I didn't think that would work :lol:
I never had the case where you can recruit in a castle you're not standing in. You live and learn ^_^
sergey

Post by sergey »

Cool campaign, it was a pleasure to play it. It was unusual that in many scenarios there are only several enemy unit types. But that makes each scenario even more unique. I liked the plot, characters, and the gameplay was really fun. Thanks for creating and maintaining it!
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
bananakin

Post by bananakin »

Wow, what a campaign.
I haven't had this much fun since the first time I played DiD. The plot is awesome, the characters are well written, the scenarios are really fun to play.
Some of the things I especially liked are:
Spoiler:
Of course, there were some details I didn't really like, but they have already been addressed in earlier posts and they were mild annoyances at worst, such as the
Spoiler:
All in all, great campaign, definitely in my top 5, awesome job!
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Glad you like it...and welcome to the forums!

I'm a fan of connections between campaigns myself. I wonder if anyone has found the SotA connection to HttT. I haven't seen anyone mention it yet. (And I don't mean any of the places that are in both.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

Ras-Tabahn's Siege of Elensefar?