Tutorial Improvements

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ceres
Forum Regular

Tutorial Improvements

Post by Ceres »

For some reason, the Tutorial has no thread over at Mainline Campaign Development, so I'm posting this here.

Okay, I tried to adress some of the points raised in this thread.
-I replaced some of the GENDER macros with just calling the name of the variable "student" (which even existed before). In some cases, I kept the macro because of gender-sensitive translations.
-I removed the turn limit. It is imo unnecessary, and newbies tend to heal and withdraw rather often and may wonder why the scenario is ending suddenly.
-when clicking "Yes, I'm still figuring it out", the player is given the choice if he wants this message to reappear every turn (which removes the do-you-want-this-message-to-show message) or if he wants it to disappear (which removes the do-you-want-to-keep-practising message).
-when choosing "No, I think I've got it", the player has the chance to view all tips given while the scenario
-I added a tip about turn limits, since that's often a problem

Accept it or not, change it or not, whatever. It's just a proposal, since none of the mainline devs have showed up here.

(I haven't touched that yet, but the whole macrofication of coordinates and such makes the code look even more messy, imo)
Attachments
1_Tutorial.cfg
(50.41 KiB) Downloaded 1246 times
boru

Re: Wesnoth Tutorial: Part I

Post by boru »

One way to avoid the "I'm still figuring this out" message every turn is simply set up a moveto event that will trigger scenario end. Tell the player, "When you're ready to move to the next lesson, move Konrad (or Li'sar) to the windmill."
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Ceres
Forum Regular

Re: Tutorial Improvements

Post by Ceres »

Changed to moveto event.
(There's no windmill, a gohere icon has to be enough).

Obviously all these coordinate macros are for making maintenacne easier, so I didn't change them.

Edit+Repost: Gambit kindly split my development try from Mainline Campaign Feedback.
So here are the files:
1_Tutorial.cfg: no turn limit, removed the repeating message if the player wants to continue, there's now a moveto for that, the player has the chance to view all tips on scenario end, removed some unnecessary GENDER macros (but not all), replaced with variable, removed unnecessary store_unit; and, when Delfador moves away from the quintain, he had 0/6 MP although he moved only 4 hexes, fixed that.
2_Tutorial.cfg: GENDER, removed unnecessary clearing of variable i (it's cleared with the NEXT macro); what's planned: see here
2_Speaking.cfg: TALK_ABOUT, TALK_NO_MOVE and TALK_ABOUT_LOC now use [message] scroll=no, that also fixes the wrong, non-transparent portrait being shown for Galdrad
utils.cfg: the MOVE macro uses move_unit and modify_unit now, which makes it a lot shorter, and it has only 3 arguments left, since START_X and START_Y aren't needed anymore (and thus changed all calls of that macro)

Now, a couple of questions myself, things I left untouched because I wasn't sure:

Code: Select all

#define LABEL STRING POSITION
    [set_variable]
        name=label_string
        value={STRING}
    [/set_variable]
    [label]
        x,y={POSITION}
        text=$label_string
    [/label]
    {CLEAR_VARIABLE label_string}
#enddef
Why's there a detour with variables? Why not just calling {STRING} in [label]? (Same for the PRINT macro)

"female^Unfortunately, you’ve used up your turn attacking the quintain. The quintain now gets to attack."
"female^There is a village on the other side of the river. Visiting villages is a good idea, and ending your turn in one will heal you. To the village!"
Are there really languages that would translate these sentences different for male and female persons?
Attachments
utils.cfg
(1.36 KiB) Downloaded 827 times
2_Tutorial.cfg
(61.94 KiB) Downloaded 831 times
2_Speaking.cfg
(2.68 KiB) Downloaded 865 times
1_Tutorial.cfg
(49.17 KiB) Downloaded 877 times
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Ceres wrote:

"female^Unfortunately, you’ve used up your turn attacking the quintain. The quintain now gets to attack."
"female^There is a village on the other side of the river. Visiting villages is a good idea, and ending your turn in one will heal you. To the village!"
Are there really languages that would translate these sentences different for male and female persons?
Yes, there are. For example, in Russian "you've used up your turn" is written differently depending on whether "you" is male or female (or so "The Social Art" tells me). Spanish also has gendered personal pronouns, and I'm sure there are others.
Jabie

Post by Jabie »

The tutorial offers a number of starting campaign suggestions, but one really cool option would be "...or maybe you want to find out hear Konrad's tale?"

If the player chooses this option, they get to start Heir to the Throne, but with the minor benefit that Konrad and Lisar gets to keep any XP they have acquired. I very much doubt Konrad starting with a few XP is going to be game-breaking, but it make a nice little tie-in.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

General: strangely the (unintended) 70% XP modifier hasn't been introduced here (that's not a complain, I'm just mentioning it)

“Part II”
both sides get no income from village

the warning about placing units into shallow water is also being triggered, when you place a unit on a Ford (Flat, Shallow Water) hex

the message about how many dmg the enemy leader can do is only triggered when I cross the river by using the bridge, but not when I cross by using the ford

every time a unit attacks the enemy leader when he is low life Galdrad reminds me that I should chose wisely the unit dealing the killing blow
I do think that saying that once should be enough
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

I have just discovered tutorial has a thread, so I report also here a bug I reported several times in other places:

In tutorial part 2, if player recruit a quick shaman on turn 1, she is able to slow a grunt in turn 2. If that grunt becomes slowed, he will ignore such status and will full move.
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

An idea for a new tutorial scenario, a re-run of the second scenario but with the player controlling the orcs, and the AI controlling the elves. This means unfavourable terrain and allows poison to be introduced.

It also allows additional commentary about the previous scenario, commenting on how Thrag (the S2 orc leader) would have made mistakes. Attached is a savegame (for 1.14) showing what I mean (right-click and select normal_start).
Attachments
WIP Wesnoth Tutorial — Part III Turn 1.gz
(27.9 KiB) Downloaded 604 times
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

I had another go at this Part III idea, this time covering
  • fog of war
  • encircling units with ZoC
  • using fire vs a Wose (but tries to avoid the ambush ability)
  • accepting that some of your units will die
Again, right-click and select normal_start for the initial dialogue. Source is in #4205
Attachments
Wesnoth Tutorial — Part III-Auto-Save1.gz
(26.4 KiB) Downloaded 431 times