HTTT-Underground Channels Development

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Reepurr

Re: HTTT-Underground Channels, Unfinished?

Post by Reepurr »

As I'm devtesting, a Baby Spider* familiar of the lich. The objective is turned into an easter egg.

* L2 Giant Spider, I'll need to talk to zookeeper about how feasible putting that in will be when it has identical art to its level up.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

you could use the Hive spiders pictures or thosee appearing in some SX survivals if you don't want to use the same art. I don't recall that spider to be animated anyway. Or you could do a crime against art and just shrink it like it is :D
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Looks like this is really taking off and you guys are actually developing here. I'm just going to pop it over to Scenario and Campaign Development.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Gambit wrote:Looks like this is really taking off and you guys are actually developing here. I'm just going to pop it over to Scenario and Campaign Development.
Could the thread title be altered to "HttT-Underground Channels Development Thread" or the like then?

Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Only :lightly: tested on Easy, since I couldn't do CoT and this is still the hardest branch so I probably shouldn't be able to do this either. Please get back to me balance-wise, and tell me which reward from the Woses you think is best.
EDIT2: Sorry guys, forgot that Baby Spider wasn't included in this file. Replace Baby Spider with Giant Spider and it should work fine, or download Underground Channels again...
20b_Underground_Channels.cfg
(12.62 KiB) Downloaded 740 times
EDIT3 - added some more options from previous suggestions.
Possible rewards:
• Rime Staff (see previous)
• Regenerative Talisman (regenerates +4, +8, +12, +16, etc.)
• Baby Spider (Level 2 of Giant Spider, could start at level 3 but that would be boring)
• Two loyal Woses
• Fortune Bow (9-4 marksman)
• Lightbending Cape (nightstalk and concealment to a chaotic unit)
• Slow/Poison Magic Thingy (open to suggestions on the name)
• Speed Boots (+1MP? 2MP?)
• Winged Boots (flying movetype and +1MP)

EDIT:
Want to try it without playing the whole campaign? Load it from this save perhaps. Should work.
HttT-Underground_Channels.gz
(29.84 KiB) Downloaded 769 times

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: HTTT-Underground Channels Development

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Give options for the rewards. Konrad can chose one of the rewards.
(I believe a summoning stone option could be added. The player can use once to summon a loyal monster perhaps. Any monster type)
Open suggestions for the slow/poison:
Poison Bow
Net
Magic Spear- No need to use the magical special. Just mention slow in the description.

The Scenario is quite balanced except that I lost most units form endless serpent attacks.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:The Scenario is quite balanced except that I lost most units form endless serpent attacks.
:doh: Trust me to make a newbie coder's mistake with my variables.

Try this.
(14.84 KiB) Downloaded 705 times
Lord-Knightmare wrote:Give options for the rewards. Konrad can chose one of the rewards.
Hmm... Interesting idea, but how could we wrap that into the story? Almost none of the rewards make sense for the Woses, which would mean that it would be either a Giant Spider or a pair of Woses (spider all the way!).
That would be worked into the plot via "The Woses hate spiders and won't give to allies of the pesky arachnids", but nothing else makes sense.
Lord-Knightmare wrote:(I believe a summoning stone option could be added. The player can use once to summon a loyal monster perhaps. Any monster type)
Poison Bow
Net
Magic Spear- No need to use the magical special. Just mention slow in the description.
Interesting summoning stone idea. I'll have to investigate [set_menu_item] later. Ruling out fire dragons of course :twisted:

Poison Bow - sounds good, but where would Konrad get it from?
Net - see above.
Magic Spear - not clear enough what it does. The player would pick up a Magic Spear, and then the description would tell them it slows.

atomicbomb

Post by atomicbomb »

Tested(in 1.9.4)... The sea serpents are terrible! they are endless and nice path blocker.. and i love the skeletal dragon surprise!
I also loved the spider, spiders are usually play role as enemy, but now it's on our side! :)
I agree with the summoning stone idea, it's really worth if you can choose your reward in this terribly hard scenario.
* shadowmaster hits atomicbomb with a watermelon
* atomicbomb hits shadowmaster with durian
(On wesbreak to take care of my 17 HS classes. Will be back in mid June.)
My Blog | Noisy Bird | My Fake FB Account | Story of Wesnoth Forums
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

atomicbomb wrote:Tested(in 1.9.4)... The sea serpents are terrible! they are endless and nice path blocker...
***** I thought I fixed that.
Can someone take a look at this and tell me what's wrong with it?
EDIT: Never mind, turns out it was fixed after all...
atomicbomb wrote:and i love the skeletal dragon surprise!
SSSSH! It's a surprise!
atomicbomb wrote:I also loved the spider, spiders are usually play role as enemy, but now it's on our side! :)
In Dead Water, you get a bat on your side from killing the main enemies, maybe you might want to try that. It's what I took my spider idea from.
atomicbomb wrote:I agree with the summoning stone idea, it's really worth if you can choose your reward in this terribly hard scenario.
And yet, if you think about it, people who wanted it to BE a terribly hard scenario (the hardcore players) wouldn't want to choose the most effective reward, since they want a terribly hard experience.
Last edited by Reepurr on February 2nd, 2011, 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

atomicbomb

Post by atomicbomb »

Reepurr wrote:***** I thought I fixed that.
It's already fixed... I forgot to replace the .cfg file :oops:
* shadowmaster hits atomicbomb with a watermelon
* atomicbomb hits shadowmaster with durian
(On wesbreak to take care of my 17 HS classes. Will be back in mid June.)
My Blog | Noisy Bird | My Fake FB Account | Story of Wesnoth Forums
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Reepurr wrote:And yet, if you think about it, people who wanted it to BE a terribly hard scenario (the hardcore players) wouldn't want to choose the most effective reward, since they want a terribly hard experience.
I don't think players would skip out on the reward BECAUSE it's they want to be hardcore... More like they play the hard scenario because they want a challenge and take the rewards that come with it.
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Reepurr wrote:
Lord-Knightmare wrote:(I believe a summoning stone option could be added. The player can use once to summon a loyal monster perhaps. Any monster type)
Poison Bow
Net
Interesting summoning stone idea. I'll have to investigate [set_menu_item] later. Ruling out fire dragons of course :twisted:

Poison Bow - sounds good, but where would Konrad get it from?
Net - see above.
Magic Spear - not clear enough what it does. The player would pick up a Magic Spear, and then the description would tell them it slows.

The Ancient Wose tells Konrad that there is a bow lying behind the wose's castle and he wants Konrad or one of his soldiers to have it (The soldier has to have a bow attack animation. Konrad Commander or Lord, Elvish Fighter, Scout, Archer unit-lines, Poacher-line should be the appropriate type filters....)

I can work at it if you want.
:D Glad to hear that everyone likes my summoning stone idea. This could be made easily. (I do have make it a one-time-use only and display the available monsters as options, though)
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Long time no see, thread.

The turn limit has been reduced to a more suitable number, though I haven't been able to test on Hard (I barely got there on Easy). With a bit of luck, I've fixed the serpent thing - turns out it wasn't working before.

I've added two macros, for easy removal after the reward has been decided. They allow the player to choose the reward they want, and in doing this several times they can try out each reward. So far, there is "Giant Spider", "Loyal Woses", and "Winged Boots" available to choose. I'll next add "Lightbending Cape" and "Rime Staff". If people want to add some themselves, it would make implementing them all a lot faster.
(16.28 KiB) Downloaded 709 times
EDIT: Also note that by using [:debug :set_var debug_channels_reward <reward>] you can change the reward to another one without doing the entire thing again. <reward> must be replaced with Giant_Spider, Loyal_Woses or Winged_Boots.

(I'm hoping that eventually, we can vote on the various rewards, and then implement the public's favourite.)

Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Well then, here's a start of scenario save for Underground Channels at Normal Difficulty to help your testing.
Attachments
HttT-Underground_Channels.gz
(46.47 KiB) Downloaded 808 times
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Now that I've played through it...

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Normal, 1.9.4 (Alarantalara's saved game)

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
8, Quite hard, it's a big battle of level 3's so you have to be prepared!

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear. Maybe put a bonus objective like "Defeat the lich" ?

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
OK.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The constant spawning of Sea serpents, and defeating the Ancient Lich when he has so many villages and is recruiting a new unit every other turn.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
8, So far so good :)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I never met the saurians or the woses because they all got killed real quickly. I suggest they be given more gold and possibly provide the Saurians with a safer home, the Sea Serpent's spawn point is right in their back yard so they don't stand a chance.

Maybe make the two villages spawn more of a variety of units? Like cuttle fishes, or something. I also think the saurian's team name shouldn't be 'drakes'.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Stupid mistakes :P

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
It's fine.
=========================
I didn't get a reward when I killed the lich, are they not implemented yet?
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)