HTTT-Underground Channels Development

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Reepurr

Re: HTTT-Underground Channels Development

Post by Reepurr »

Thanks for the review!

I made an executive decision (being the only executive present) to easter-egg the reward a while back, because a few of the option rewards wouldn't make sense (like why would a wose give you a Rime Staff?)

You didn't get a reward for killing the lich because, unfortunately, you weren't able to keep Haralamdum - that's the wose leader - alive, since you couldn't even meet them. The spectres might use some toning down in that case... :hmm:

A useful tactic I found was to send a Paladin -or two- down the bottom-left branch of land once you reach the forested area, that's assuming you took the northern path, rather than the eastern, swampy path.

Could you attach a replay for analysis please?

I really need to work out why that stupidstupidstupidstupid variable isn't working for the serpents.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

You forgot first_time_only=no in the serpent die event. I also tend to forget it...
And you have two loyal woses with the same id.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Ceres wrote:You forgot first_time_only=no in the serpent die event. I also tend to forget it...
And you have two loyal woses with the same id.
Huh? I fixed th- :doh: I forgot to update it.

Here ye go.
20b_Underground_Channels.cfg
(23.94 KiB) Downloaded 768 times

Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
atomicbomb

Post by atomicbomb »

For Hardcore 1.8.5 Players 8)
Attachments
HttT-Underground_Channels.gz
(24.64 KiB) Downloaded 743 times
* shadowmaster hits atomicbomb with a watermelon
* atomicbomb hits shadowmaster with durian
(On wesbreak to take care of my 17 HS classes. Will be back in mid June.)
My Blog | Noisy Bird | My Fake FB Account | Story of Wesnoth Forums
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Here's my replay.
Attachments
HttT-Underground_Channels_replay.gz
(97.66 KiB) Downloaded 822 times
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

I see what you mean there. Less than 10 turns to kill Haralamdum...must be all those spectres drifting around. But how do woses deal with spectres?

atomicbomb

Post by atomicbomb »

Tested!(Hard, 1.9.4 with my save file)

Bug : I moved Konrad to slyph's castle but the victory event wasn't triggered, so I used Debug :n to finish it.

Ehm... The Scene is Very, very hard with endless serpent and huge number of undead swarm. I even can't save the wose leader. This scene really needs balancing.

Here is my Replay
Attachments
HttT-Underground_Channels_replay.gz
(66.45 KiB) Downloaded 785 times
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

I think you should add a "limited contemporaneous recruit" on the spectres, maybe 3 or 4.
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Pewskeepski wrote:I think you should add a "limited contemporaneous recruit" on the spectres, maybe 3 or 4.
The problem is that Woses simply cannot deal with spectres. The new recruitment list is specifically designed to be mostly impact weak, so Woses can fend them off, with a few toughies like Spectres or Necrophages for the player to deal with. With the spectres' drain attack, the Woses are at a loss - they're just impossible to dislodge.

I'm thinking for a mix between contemporaneous (thanks for the suggestion), recruitment patterns with barely any scouts and a [target] tag. Failing that, Haralamdum will get 40% arcane resistance.

atomicbomb

Post by atomicbomb »

Maybe adding wose shaman(as seen in DM) can help woses to fight spectres
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

atomicbomb wrote:Maybe adding wose shaman(as seen in DM) can help woses to fight spectres
40 gold is a bit expensive for impact damage and slows. :wink:

dogscoff

Post by dogscoff »

Just to muddy the waters even further, here's yet another suggestion for the reward:

Introduce the rescued sergeant as some kind of logistics genius, which means that as long as he is alive, your camp/castle at the beginning of each scenario is keep+10 tiles instead of keep+6 tiles, allowing you to recruit more units per turn. This would be hugely useful in Test of the Clans and the final showdown.

Alternatively, make him an allied, human-controlled leader, like Krash in Northern rebirth.
Faello

Post by Faello »

I like the human unit with leadership as the reward in this HttT campaign branch, Warven was the reason I've chosen this path so I wouldn't it advice to change this reward to the other - this branch is an obvious choice for someone playing HttT on hard and levelling up Sergeant to Grand Marshall during 3 scenarios (20b. Underground Channels, 22. Return to Wesnoth, 23. Test of the Clans) is doable if you're skilled enough, so I don't see a problem. I think that possibility to have a lvl4 unit with leadership in the final battle is a nice reward ^_^

If someone isn't good enough to make use of Warven until the final scenario, he should go the other way, as already stated. This branch shouldn't be pursued by newbies and regulars. At this point I've passed only 19c. Cliffs of Thoria, so I'll add a feedback for this scenario later, but the changes for this branch should be following:

19c. Cliffs of Thoria
- spawn a drake from every tent every single turn, add more gold to drake commander, add couple of loyal drake units for drake commander
- possible change for Warven: make him Lieutenant (lvl2) <it would make sense> or simply cut his xp-per-lvl-up limit to make sure everybody will get a Grand Marshall for 24. The Battle for Wesnoth
- I don't see a point for bypassing the drakes via the swamp route now, since played is forced to go to the other exit and it requires fighting them anyway
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

That reminds me, what's the deal with Cliffs of Thoria? Is it finished? Or does it need some working on?
Faello

Post by Faello »

Feedback for this scenario (played on wesnoth 1.9.6): CLICK!

Also, a replay (1.9.6) showing that levelling Warven to Grand Marshal quickly is doable (did it in 22: Return to Wesnoth) so he can easily rock in the last 2 scenarios <no saves/reloads> :)
Attachments
HttT-Return_to_Wesnoth_replay.gz
HttT "How to level Warven quickly" Return to Wesnoth replay, Challenging (Champion) difficulty level, 1.9.6, no saves/reloads
(72.45 KiB) Downloaded 862 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.