HTTT-Underground Channels Development

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Re: HTTT-Underground Channels, Unfinished?

Post by Alarantalara »

The Sylph already has a 10-5 magical attack, so it only makes the Shyde more dangerous a flyer. The mermaids and Kalenz (elvish lord) were overlooked on my first list of spellcasters. I'll add them.

And in case my earlier comment didn't make it obvious, I'm stealing your sea monsters, Reepurr.

Oh, and for the record, there are only 3 playable scenarios after this one, though the number of level 3 enemies in this one probably makes leveling the sergeant to level 4 quite possible.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Alarantalara wrote:I felt some sort of item was needed.
The other two paths give you an item and a loyal unit. Since Cliffs of Thoria gives a loyal unit, that left the item for this scenario. I seem to remember some complaint that the reward for this path was lacking.
Also, an item gives a reason for the presence of the saurians, since they can be trying to obtain it.

As for being overpowered, it does less damage than the flaming sword.
Just checked that. The flaming sword must be given to a leader, and given how powerful your leaders' melees already are (either 12 or 13-4 at level 3) it doesn't make as much a difference. However, a MoL has just 12-3 compared to the Staff's 12-4. Kalenz, as far as I'm aware, has even lower magical capability. And a Mermaid Priestess has all of...8-4.

Get my newly researched point?
(That's why even though there's Warven, I just gave Konrad two Woses.)
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

While I won't insert my opinion on the best choice, I think it would be better to do something other than a magic item. There are enough artifacts in HttT as it is; afterall another ranged magical staff would steal focus from the (similar) sceptre.

That reminds me there is an extra Storm Trident in Cliffs of Thoria (which I guess you forgot to count, but should probably be removed).
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

I think I now know why this never got finished before.

Woses as a reward are basically useless. There are three scenarios left, only one of which has any forest and one of which has such a large map that no one would recall them.
Other free units don't make sense for a Wose leader to provide (though changing the Wose into something else could solve this).
Gold as a reward seems lacking compared to the Flaming Sword or the Void Armour.
Any ranged magic attack competes with the Sceptre of Fire.
The reward should be about as valued as the rewards for the other paths, (this is a point against the Storm Trident in Cliffs - already have two and can't really use it in the few remaining scenarios).
The reward should be functionally different than the rewards for the other paths to make the choice interesting.
The reward should be useful in the remaining 3 combat scenarios: Return to Wesnoth, Test of the Clans, and The Battle for Wesnoth.

For reference:
Reward for Snow Plains: Flaming Sword (15-4 magical fire melee - best upgrade for Kalenz/Elvish Marshal who have 10-4 blade) and an Elvish Rider.
Reward for Swamp of Dread: Void Armor (50 blade, 40 pierce, 40 impact, +10 fire resistances - best upgrade for Li'sar: damage halved or better for all non-magic attacks) and an Elvish Rider.
Current reward for Cliffs of Thoria: Sergeant, Storm Trident (should probably be removed as Sapient mentions)

So, given the above constraints, what makes sense as a reward? Are the other constraints that I missed?
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Alarantalara wrote:Woses as a reward are basically useless.
And Rime Staff as a reward is basically OP and detracts from the Sceptre.

I would suggest giving out a Lieutenant instead of a Sergeant, since Elvish Riders are L2. But guess what he was looking for...

A weapon that would help Asheviere rule (annoying woman) - the Lightbending Cape...
Concealment and Ambush (or perhaps Nightstalk?) for the chosen character! Note that it must be someone agile and chaotic. (invis thief pwnzorz)
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

If you want artifacts, some kinda boots or ring that increase MPs and/or defenses could be envisageable. Or a relatively weak range attack, but with an interesting special on it, such as slow or poison. It wouldn,t compete with the scepter, as the scepter is mostly based on damage, not on side-effects.

As a unit, I wouldn't really know, but some kinda sylph or shyde could make sense in a wose-environnement and would be non-negligible.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Going against my own advice of not introducing more artifacts, I will say that a ring of regeneration would be cool (probably self heal +4). You could tie it in thematically with the woses somehow.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
savescummer

Post by savescummer »

I'd also like to ensure that Underground Channels remains as part of the campaign. However, there are some issues with fitting the scenario into the campaign that I'd like to address. Before I mend, though, first I must cut. From S19c:
unit wrote:There is a cataract ahead. By the thunder of the water and the height of the spume, it must drop several hundred feet at least. We must leave the river before we are swept into it, or we will surely perish!
Konrad wrote:Wait. What about the tributary which flows into the river from inside the mountain? There seems to be a cave...
Kalenz wrote:Legend says that that little river comes from the land of the North Elves. It is said that it is an outflow of Everlore, which flows in the land of my home and that there is a cave system in that area with several cave entrances and springs which flow into the ground. I can say no more about it, except that it is swarming with undead and other creatures which find power in the darkness of the caves. We elves prefer not to venture into the caves; instead we put guards near the entrances to kill any foul creature foolish enough to wander outside. No elves have been inside for centuries and that area is unknown to us. Truly, I don’t recommend entering the cave if we have any other options.
Problem 1: if there's a tributary, does its water flow over the cave entrance to make the waterfall? If so, how does that explain the cave? If, instead, the water of the tributary flows through the cave, then from where does the waterfall get its water?
Problem 2: How does water from Lintanir forest reach the north side of the Arkan-thoria, bypassing the Listra? Magic? Aquaduct?
Problem 3: The dialogue already establishes a large cataract to the east of the scenario map, so Konrad et al. must be at a high elevation (for sufficiently large values of high). This 'Everlore' would then have to flow from Lintanir Forest into the Heart Mountains. Is the Everlore flowing uphill, or is the Lintanir Forest überhighland?
Problem 4: unit has begun the perilous journey of establishing canon weights and measures in Wesnoth. I advise to at least use caution, and if possible, remove the reference.

Possible solution:
Kalenz wrote:Long ago, dwarves fought against the elves of Lintanir Forest. The dwarves knew that fording the Listra River to fight elvish archers would be suicide. Consequently, they tunneled under the river. When the dwarves emerged in Lintanir forest, the elves were surprised, but repelled the dwarves into their tunnel. One of our braver (and more foolish) Sorceresses, Arguilene, led a party of elves into the caves. The years of fighting underground evidently drove her to madness, and she took a dark path. We no longer fought dwarves, but instead found ourselves neighbors to a horrid lich.
Thoughts?
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

savescummer wrote: Problem 1: if there's a tributary, does its water flow over the cave entrance to make the waterfall? If so, how does that explain the cave? If, instead, the water of the tributary flows through the cave, then from where does the waterfall get its water?
Text suggests that water flows out of the cave, into Arkan-thoria. No mention of it covering the cave entrance. Indeed, it probably formed it. The scenario map places the cave north of the falls.
savescummer wrote: Problem 2: How does water from Lintanir forest reach the north side of the Arkan-thoria, bypassing the Listra? Magic? Aquaduct?
The forest itself is not named. The simplest explanation is that the home of the North Elves is not restricted to the forest. It's likely worth making this clearer in the dialogue.
savescummer wrote: Problem 3: The dialogue already establishes a large cataract to the east of the scenario map, so Konrad et al. must be at a high elevation (for sufficiently large values of high). This 'Everlore' would then have to flow from Lintanir Forest into the Heart Mountains. Is the Everlore flowing uphill, or is the Lintanir Forest überhighland?
If we accept that the elves live on both sides of the Listra, then the Everlore can start in the mountains and avoid the issue.
savescummer wrote: Problem 4: unit has begun the perilous journey of establishing canon weights and measures in Wesnoth. I advise to at least use caution, and if possible, remove the reference.
I'm indifferent to this. Referring to hundreds of units (whatever the unit) sounds more impressive than "a long way", "to a great depth" or similar replacements in my mind though.

@Sapient: Despite the volume of artifacts in HttT, you never see more than four in any play through. Placing one on this path won't violate that limit. I agree that having a non-artifact route would help distinguish it more, but it could lead to player complaints if the paths are not parallel. I wanted it to be associated with the lich so that there was a reason for the saurians to attack the lich as well, paralleling the multiple mutually hostile armies found in North Elves.
savescummer

Post by savescummer »

Not terrible. The waterfall's source is still unaddressed, but I might concede it as a minor point. The home of the North Elves, however, is already established as canon in The Legend of Wesmere, scenarios 21-24. If you play the campaign, you'll see that all of the footprints and battle markings fall on the east side of the Listra, in forest which has been mapped since early versions of the game. But it's possible I'm wrong and/or that the canon mainline campaigns are wrong. If you want to make a good case and convince the canon-bureaucrats yourself, I salute your bravery. In addition, 'mountain elves', huh? That's a rare breed. The manual in the stable version says "They often feel uncomfortable in open, unvegetated spaces. They live primarily in the forests of the Great Continent; the Aethenwood in the southwest, Wesmere in the northwest, and the great Northern Woods of which Lintanir Forest is the southernmost edge." Trees are somewhat rare at high elevations, making your North Elves uncomfortable in their own home. Also, a difference of opinion: you're lengthening the scenario text, while I am shortening it. By making a backstory for the lich, I'm addressing Mellar's concerns about the lich's presence and providing story opportunities for the lich to possess whatever swag you've been suggesting above. Also by providing backstory, I believe I have zookeeper's interests at heart.

But like I said, not terrible. Your points are made with only a few adjustments to the campaign. I didn't address the waterfall's source either. I am not always a fan of canon, as sometimes I believe the canon is wrong, and sometimes you can fix the canon. Scenarios 19c and 20b are somewhat new, and deserve a little tinkering. Perhaps a fuller text can also be richer. And maybe artists can envision Wesnoth as it is, without inconsistencies. I certainly didn't intend to ask for opinions only to swat down every one that wasn't mine. So, anyone else with ideas?
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

The ultimate primary source of waterfall is Lake Vrug, judging by the world map. The heroes are traveling down the large river towards the Listra when their path is blocked by the waterfall, at least if the journey track is to be trusted.
It would be much easier if the forest was shown on both sides of the Listra to explain the elves' association with caves.

Perhaps something like (to stay as close to the existing text as possible):
Legend says that that little river comes from the depths of the Heart mountains. It is said that it is an outflow of Everlore, which flows near the land of my home and that there is a cave system in that area with several cave entrances and springs which flow into the Listra. I can say no more about it, except that it is swarming with undead and other creatures which find power in the darkness of the caves. We elves prefer not to venture into the caves; instead we put guards near the entrances to kill any foul creature before it could threaten our home. No elves have been inside for centuries and that area is unknown to us. Truly, I do not recommend entering the cave if we have any other options.
savescummer

Post by savescummer »

I concede the point about the waterfall's source, and apologize. I mistakenly believed that there were two waterfalls, one concealing the cave entry. It took two posts to get it through my skull, too. And yes, a series of springs could push water up into the channel, and from there flow into the Longlier/Arkan-thoria, where Scenario 19c takes place. Which then flows over the singular waterfall, and from there into the Listra.

But. Kalenz says that the Everlore flows near the land of his home. As said in the Legend of Wesmere, S1: "The great elvish hero Kalenz was born in a quiet green wood in Lintanir on the fringes of the Great Northern Forest." This is why I was so eager to scrap the idea of an Everlore River. I'm still so thick-headed that I can't envision its existence. If you could flesh out the geography a little more, I think I'm about out of conflicting canon quotes. After that, I'd like to get a ruling from the author.
atomicbomb

Post by atomicbomb »

The Rime staff's is overpowered. Something that overpowered in the hands of veteran players can turned into deadly weapon, that would unbalance the campaign. I suggest to reduce the staff's attack to 10-4 or 9-4 and give some attribute like slow, stun , poison etc.I think veteran players would be more challenged with tactical attributes like that.
* shadowmaster hits atomicbomb with a watermelon
* atomicbomb hits shadowmaster with durian
(On wesbreak to take care of my 17 HS classes. Will be back in mid June.)
My Blog | Noisy Bird | My Fake FB Account | Story of Wesnoth Forums
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Okay, here is a second take at the scenario, this one trying to make it more challenging.
I've left the staff in, mostly because I haven't thought of anything better yet. As a consequence, I haven't really done anything with dialog this time, since I would like everything to feel unified, and the dialog should reflect the other parts of the scenario.

Incidentally, I noticed the staff isn't powerful enough in some cases: the attack it grants would never be used by a Great Mage as it's always worse. I don't want to offer a bad choice in the case that a unit with a weaker attack is not available. Making it more powerful is not an option, so it is going to go if I continue this.

Edit: I've also realized that regeneration is only an option if combined with something else: to make an item that only regenerates that is comparable to the Void Armor in contributing to survivability would require something like self heal +16. (Imagine being charged by a Lancer in TotC or two Orc Warriors in the last scenario and calculate damage with and without it.)
Attachments
20b_Underground_Channels.cfg
(18.18 KiB) Downloaded 817 times
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

What about giving a (decent) melee attack to mages?