[Historical] Liberty

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

scott

[Historical] Liberty

Post by scott »

Yes, you have now seen it all. If you remember the rogue mage idea in the art forum, here is a chance to see him in action (but not until later on in the campaign).

The name of the campaign is Liberty. It chronicles how a certain group of Wesnothians were betrayed by their ruler and decided to fight back. This made them outlaws in the crown's eyes, but hopefully heros in ours. It takes place just after the King Garard II is killed at the Ford of Abez.

1. I am announcing the campaign now and will post it when I get home. I finished the first 6 levels and plan on 2-4 more.

2. I made the campaign because I wanted to know what it felt like to play with the outlaws where you can level them up, etc. It is not supposed to be a ball-buster. Some plot, some fighting, rather linear gameplay. I tried to include some neat WML tricks (may be new, maybe not).

3. There are also 5 new outlaw units: the highwayman (L3 thug), the fugitive (L3 footpad), the huntsman (L3 Poacher), and of course, everybody's favorite rogue mage and shadow mage. There are some other small unit surprises waiting. The art for these new units is mostly with thanks to Neorice (isgood!), so at least they can be showcased a bit.

4. I KNOW having an outlaw "faction" conflicts with the idea behind the outlaws that they just represent the various and unrelated criminal elements of Wesnoth's human society. THESE outlaws are different from THOSE outlaws (who actually show up in the story). If you're going to write a plot you have to take some liberty (pun intended), so I did.

5. Just a warning: I haven't done a lot of balancing between easy, medium, or hard. There is definitely a difference, but I'm not sure how much it should be yet. I playtest on medium. Also, the outlaws are not much of a faction in terms of breadth of recruitable units, so don't get pissed when you get the same 3 thug, poacher, and footpad for most of the levels.

Otherwise, please enjoy and feel free to post bugs and feedback. Unless you didn't like it. :wink:
Last edited by scott on October 21st, 2004, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AT

um..

Post by AT »

Um.... Might be a good idea to attach the campaign.
Gandalf-"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the Shadow. You cannot pass!"
AT- "That sounds like more trouble than it's worth."
sanna

Post by sanna »

Sounds like fun. :)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I don't think this campaign should be 'tied in' with the HttT era. Which means i don't think its a good idea to have it start with garard II dying, be during the reign of ashiviere, etc... make up a new era, with a new king.

Other than that, sounds good.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scott

here it is: v0.5

Post by scott »

Here is the first release.

I spent a lot of time considering how hard to make the first level. Just remember, you really need to focus on your priorities.

I will consider the suggestion to use a generic era... I was not interested in writing another chapter in Wesnoth history, just a footnote to a period that has been written. The relationships of the protagonists to the antagonists is important to the plotline. Using the HTTT people provides a context we are all familiar with, so players better understand what is going on. Maybe play it and see if it detracts from the story.
Bandobras

Post by Bandobras »

I was thinking: perhaps leave the outlaws' max level at 2, as it is, but invent some 3rd level unit with leadership to go with them and additionally use the after-max-level advancement. This way they should be playable without forking our unit system. In fact outlaw's innate lack of advancement would prove a benefit in such a setting, without the need to break their character by making them advance all the way to level 3, as any other boring faction does.

What do you think?
scott

Post by scott »

heh heh... if you're worried about what I did to the unit system, you should play level 4. It's an idea I never thought of -- for such a short campaign it may not be worth it, even if the 2nd level XP were set pretty low... 50 maybe?
Bandobras

Post by Bandobras »

scott wrote:heh heh... if you're worried about what I did to the unit system, you should play level 4.
After miraculously completeting scenario 1 (Medium), now I'm stuck at scenario 2. Hopeless. But don't spoil me. :)

However, the fact that you renamed the units makes me a bit less worried. (If the naming was consistent, that is.) :P Some more units to learn, but at least no anavoidable conflicts with what I learned before.
scott wrote:It's an idea I never thought of -- for such a short campaign it may not be worth it, even if the 2nd level XP were set pretty low... 50 maybe?
For such a short campaing even advancing is not worth is. :) Seriously, especially to level 3. But leadership is reasonable (first with 2nd level units, then concentrate on leveling these units up). And on top of the leadership the 5HP+1damage/50XP could be nice. (Not that I know anything about making campaigns, especially so creative ones.)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

lvl 3 outlaws? i'm interested... in any case, i'm going to want lvl 3 thugs for SE...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I have a fully animated level 3 outlaw, check the graphic librairy in the wiki for it.
scott

Post by scott »

Yep, he's in there. If you ever get around to animating the L3 thug and poacher, I'm buying.

Here is a new release! I called it version 0.6.
It's above 500k, so I am posting a link:
http://www.cis.rit.edu/~slk8779/wesnoth ... y_v0_6.zip

- Added scenario 7 (previous savegames will work)
- Tweaked the other scenarios
- Added some graphics for the shadow mage (just polishing the turd)

I'm surprised no one has commented on the non-outlaw unit cameos that show up mid-campaign. If people are having trouble, I have replays available for all of the levels for this new version.
scott

Post by scott »

Alright, I can't say the world has been on pins and needles waiting for this one, but the outlaw campaign is finished! By that I mean to say that I finished writing all of the scenarios and playtested them. There's even an epilogue.

Again, it's greater than 500 k (about 800), so here is the link to download it:
http://www.cis.rit.edu/~slk8779/wesnoth ... y_v1_0.zip

I will try to get it on the campaign server one of these days.

I suppose a lack of feedback indicates a lack of interest, but I would like to hear if anyone at least finishes it. In any case, it was fun, and that is what it is all about.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber »

I will playtest when i have the time (aka this weekend) I would have time to start it yesterday, but it sounded hard campaingn. Right now im banging my head in TotC and my patience is somewhere near 0 :x
Read about the adventurers of my pen & paper RPG group

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on." - Guess who?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

i'll play it once its on the campaign server. :)

now that that has been implemented, i think i'll just get my campaigns off of it instead of doing all that extra work to download them.

(an outlaw campaign does sound interesting, though, and i'm going to, uhm, steal your 3rd level outlaws for my campaign. :) )
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

that's fine with me. If you want to talk stats, let me know because I think it would be nice (although certainly not a necessity) to have consistency with the units. If you want to add thug and poacher animations, even better.

Currently published:

Fugitive
melee 11-2 (compare to 7-2 @ L2 and 4-2 @ L1) - total dmg 8>14>22
ranged 8-4 (compare to 6-3 @ L2 and 4-2 @ L1) - total dmg 8>18>32

Highwayman
melee 13-4 (compare to 8-4 @ L2 and 6-3 @ L1) - total dmg 18>32>52
ranged -

Huntsman
melee 5-4 (compare to 4-4 @ L2 and 3-2 @ L1) - total dmg 6>16>20
ranged 9-4 (compare to 6-4 @ L2 and 4-4 @ L1) - total dmg 16>24>36

Looking back, I should probably fix these stats. 7-4 for the fugitive, 12-4 for the highwayman, 10-4 for the huntsman? I really haven't done much tweaking.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.