[Historical] Liberty

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

toms

Post by toms »

Lavalamps wrote:Where can I download this?
1.1.8 Click on the Get Add-Ons button, and download it.
1.1.7 and older: Open the campaigns menu, and choose 'more campaigns'. Then hit the ok button and you can download it.
If both of those do not work: http://wolff.to/campaigns/list.html
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Deodand

Post by Deodand »

I thought I'd download this but it seems to have disappeared from the campaign server.

Anyone know of an alternate source?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Deodand wrote:I thought I'd download this but it seems to have disappeared from the campaign server.

Unfortunately, Liberty has never been ported to be compatible with 1.2 and that's why you can't find it on the 1.2 add-on server. AFAIK, no one is planning on porting it either, so it may be that it'll never become playable with the new version(s).
Deodand

Post by Deodand »

Seems a pity, it looked like a good idea.
tsr

Post by tsr »

zookeeper wrote:
Deodand wrote:I thought I'd download this but it seems to have disappeared from the campaign server.

Unfortunately, Liberty has never been ported to be compatible with 1.2 and that's why you can't find it on the 1.2 add-on server. AFAIK, no one is planning on porting it either, so it may be that it'll never become playable with the new version(s).
Is there any cementary for old stuff like this? I mean it's an easier job (I think - at least creativly) to port a campaign to a new format than to create one from scratch.

/tsr
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

tsr wrote:
zookeeper wrote: Unfortunately, Liberty has never been ported to be compatible with 1.2 and that's why you can't find it on the 1.2 add-on server. AFAIK, no one is planning on porting it either, so it may be that it'll never become playable with the new version(s).
Is there any cementary for old stuff like this? I mean it's an easier job (I think - at least creativly) to port a campaign to a new format than to create one from scratch.

/tsr
There must be one somewhere. I'd like to port it for Wesnoth 1.2 if I have the oportunity. I can't promise anything, though.
Prometheus

Post by Prometheus »

I've got Liberty running under 1.2. It's not too badly broken, although there are a lot of wrong paths, custom units don't animate even though they have standard graphics, custom units attack with a short range so standard units have no counterattack, etc. It looks to me like converting will require a fair amount of grunt work and testing but no big problems (unlike say Wesvoid, which was very badly broken even under 1.0.2).
Prometheus

Post by Prometheus »

I've uploaded Liberty so it's now available on 1.2. I didn't notice any bugs when I played it through but you never know.

I made no changes of any significance, but for those who want to know, I rearranged the organization of the WML to be similar to the other user campaigns like Son of the Black Eye. I made some minor reformatting in the story panels. Some of the unit files I converted to the current unit formats, but not others.

The one change affecting gameplay was there were a lot of custom units which were very similar to mainline units, differing only slightly in various ways. I think the differances might be the result of changes in mainline, and these units are supposed to be identical to the mainline units, however I left the units as they were.

I'm not planning to initiate any further changes, but if there are any bugs let me know. If there is a popular demand on the forum for other changes, I suppose I will make those too, if they are not too extensive, and there are no objections.
Mellor

Crash in Liberty, Unlawful Orders

Post by Mellor »

I am glad to see Liberty on the new server; however, in Unlawful Orders, at the end of Turn 2, as the humans turn into the undead, the game crashes. I'm using Wesnoth 1.2 on Mac OSX 10.3.9.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Prometheus wrote:I'm not planning to initiate any further changes, but if there are any bugs let me know. If there is a popular demand on the forum for other changes, I suppose I will make those too, if they are not too extensive, and there are no objections.
All the custom units need to have their attack animations, defense animations and the sounds in them updated, since they use old syntax and/or conventions. I'm not sure about other WML.

Also, plenty of lack of TC; the add-on server icon and the first story screen already show a load of magenta. And the campaign image is so bad that I'd classify it as a bug as well. :P
Prometheus

Post by Prometheus »

I fixed the icon and story screens.

The units first convert in Unlawful Orders on turn 3, not turn 2. There is no problem for me. I notice there is a {CHG_TYPE 3 (White Mage) Deathmaster}, but I don't know what a Deathmaster is. I don't see how a mage could level to a white mage by turn 3 though.
Last edited by Prometheus on February 18th, 2007, 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Prometheus wrote:The one change affecting gameplay was there were a lot of custom units which were very similar to mainline units, differing only slightly in various ways. I think the differances might be the result of changes in mainline, and these units are supposed to be identical to the mainline units, however I left the units as they were.
I guess it might be best to stick with mainline units if they differ only slightly. Less confusing to the player and less to maintain.
BTW you're aware that Liberty is also in WesCamp? Would be nice to get scenario updates there as well so translations can stay complete.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Prometheus

Post by Prometheus »

torrangen wrote: it might be best to stick with mainline units if they differ only slightly. Less confusing to the player and less to maintain.
The purpose of most of the custom units seems to be to allow a third level for outlaws.

footpad-outlaw-fugitive
thug-bandit-highwayman
poacher-trapper-huntsman or ranger

There are also some undead custom units. The purpose of these apparently is to allow the switching from undead to human to work, for example, swordsmen, pikemen, and shock troopers all convert to revenants, and so to convert them back to humans, there needs to be three types of revenants (all of which are identical except for id). But the deathblade is also a level two undead, which isn't used (I suppose because the deathblade did not exist when Liberty was originally written), so I can change the swordsman to a deathblade, and eliminate a custom unit altogether.

Comments earlier in the topic suggest the intention is that the custom unit statistics be exactly like the mainline units. So the best thing to do is not to fix the custom units, but to copy the units anew from the mainline, and eliminate custom units where feasible.

I don't know anything about wescamp. Liberty does have translations. I haven't changed any of the dialogue or other text. I can upload it to wherever, but I have no idea if it is compliant or not.

Does anybody else have problems with Unlawful Orders? The only thing I can see causing a problem is the white mage.
NeoPhile

Post by NeoPhile »

Prometheus wrote:The purpose of most of the custom units seems to be to allow a third level for outlaws.
You can use the advancefrom= tag inside of a custom [unit], which allows you to avoid custom L1 and L2 outlaws.

Also, I just noticed that a couple custom units still have range=short/range=long, which needs to change to range=melee/range=ranged.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Many of the restrictions are simply because 1.0 WML was less powerfull then 1.2 WML is.
About WesCamp, follow the link in my signature. :wink:
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!